August 31, 2014 | 1273 users online

Foundations - The Body Shop - All-In-One Face Base

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by poivreotti

Okay, at first I liked this product because it's usually difficult for myself to find a good match for my skin when it comes to foundations and powders. I'm around an NC20, with olive undertones (leaning warm). Foundations usually come out too orange on me when I get a warm-toned colour. Thankfully, this powder is pretty neutral and did not oxidize on me. I used the colour in #2, which is slightly lighter than my skin upon application, but once it mixed with my skin oils, it settles down into a more natural looking tone. This is a major plus for the foundation.

I have used up one full compact. The major problem I find with this powder is that it separates over a period of a few hours. I have combination/oily skin (most of my face is oily and my cheeks are on the normal side but I do get acne on my cheeks), and find that after a couple of hours, I notice a light film on my skin from this powder. I have worn other powders and most did not do this. I have used different methods of application, with primers/foundations/concealers below, and it always does the same thing. It just doesn't work on my oily skin.

Another downside is that it only caters to a few skin tones, in the light-medium category. Good if you are netural, pink, or slightly yellow toned. The lighting in The Body Shop is not ideal to find your colour match, so make sure to try a couple of shades and walk around for a while to see if it's a good fit for your skin.

Finally, I hit pan on this product pretty quick! If I had used it everyday it would have taken me about 3 months to fully use up. To me, unless it made me look perfect, it's too expensive for me to keep purchasing a product that runs out so fast.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by sassandahalf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great powder! I use this on top of my foundation as I like the full coverage. Although the shade selection is very limited, I do like the #6 for my NC30 skin even though it's a couple shades too dark. TBS has great sales and I managed to pick this up for $11!!! (It was 50% off during a promotion, usually retails for $22 in Canada) :D One really horrible aspect to this product is the packaging. Once this baby drops, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye. Even a drop from a coffee table shatters the products entirely so you're left with little chunks of powder. And because the compact doesn't shut completely (there is always a small thin gap), the powder chunks fall all over the place so you lose half the product if you put it in your bag. But if you manage to keep it safe, this is a HG powder! Great coverage, good colour, and the price is what I love!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/6/2012 9:33:00 PM More reviews by eelin77

Looks like this one is hit or miss. I would say the quality of this powder is good - finely milled and applies on smoothly. However, as with the other reviewers, I agree that it appears powdery and takes a while for it to 'melt' into your skin so the chalkiness disappears.

In terms of shades offered - great if you are VERY VERY VERY fair. I'm considered very fair for an Asian, with a slight pink undertone. My first compact was in 02 and that looked a tad bit light, so I bought 03, which still was too light and yellow and made me look like I was ill. (Read on and you will find that some fair girls use 04 and that's still too light. The darkest they have is 06.)

The coverage is rather sheer for a foundation. Not good if you have blemishes to cover. And applying cream or liquid concealer on top of this messes up the foundation.

It does nothing to soften or minimise pores. A primer is a must, otherwise your pores will just be emphasized. The sponge is useless for application. (It's great, though, for use with some other liquid foundations.) Chuck the sponge and use a dense buffer brush or kabuki. You'll get better results. The packaging is also very bulky, and not like there is a whole lot of product in it (9g/0.3oz). So much for TBS being eco-friendly.

Worth a try if it's on sale and if you are VERY VERY fair.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2012 11:18:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this! Although I have dry skin and powders can be harmful for my skin type, this face base is one of the best I've ever used. I use it as a foundation. It has a matte finish, you can build the coverage easily -- but it's generally sheer to medium -- it looks incredibly natural, it blends into your skin color amazingly, and of course, quick to apply. The only downside is it can dry skin out, but a nice lotion applied before will easily fix this. It's pricey, but so worth it. The next time I visit England, I'm going to stock up on this!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2012 2:46:00 AM More reviews by blake0202

First of all, this powder is expensive. Hell expensive, as all TBS makeup products are! Even though I bought 1 in number 6 already, my friend gave me another in number 6. Or else I would never buy this again.
It does make my face a bit smooth, but not as I expected. People easily noticed that you are using powder, which is disappointing as I love to go for a natural look.
One minus point of this product is that its colors are too bright. I have rather fair skin and go for number 4 (6 is the darkest) and it is still too white!! I sometimes even have to mix a number 4 with a number6 to get what I want.

Hmm I don't see the effect of this product much in terms of make-up. Good ingredients I guess.

Price: $30

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2012 4:59:00 AM More reviews by wmhfnrzu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this foundation. I got it for SG $25 during a sale (was $35 before) and I think it's great. I've experienced the same sort of thrill as the reviews below - decent coverage, good staying power and my personal favourite - fantastic oil control. I just don't like that it's a little pricey at full price, I can't believe some people got it for US $10, I must look out for those kind of sales here! Also, they've got quite a limited range of shades. And I never touched the sponge in the casing - it looks and feels like crap but I did buy their kabuki brush which is amazing btw (SG $25 also, after a 10% discount) and it applies like a dream. Oh yes, one more thing, it has this habit of looking a little powdery on first application but after it settles in after say a few minutes, it looks wonderfully natural. For $25 a pop, I wouldn't mind repurchasing, but I'd probably think twice before getting it at full price.
EDIT: I'm 2 months into using this and guess what? It's hit pan. I've never had a powder foundation run out on me that fast! Most of them lasted for 6 months even with touch ups. Also, I tried the sponge - smears the foundation right into your pores and makes them look more obvious. Also, this powder oxidises quite quickly - like a few hours quickly. I took one lippy off and I certainly would not repurchase this.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2011 9:31:00 PM More reviews by leizel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

pros:
- smooth and silky, blendable powder
- good coverage - sheer and natural
- decent price - $22 Cdn for 10ml
- has not broken me out (after 3 months of use)
- good for daily use without having to turn to liquid foundation which breaks me out

cons:
- packaging too bulky
- drying for my combination skin, though expected for a powder (tip: to add moisture back into skin, use a DIY facial spritz or MAC fix plus)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by orangenotepad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Really nice coverage/longevity/finish, but there aren't many shades available. If you order online go darker, as the shades on TBS site are not true to color. I bought it during their 3 for $30 sale, but I still have buyer's remorse as the product is comparable to less expensive DS compacts.
Will only repurchase if it's heavily discounted.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by Asianbarbiee91

Oh I love this! I got the shade in 06 which is their darkest color.. I'm an nc25 with asian/yellow undertones. I find it odd that 06 is their darkest shade in this product as I am not very dark at all.. It makes me question why they don't offer darker shades for women of color. Anyway, back to the topic.. This powder has a velvet like texture, perfect for those with combo skin like me (dry around the face plate but oily on the t zones), it lasts all day and I haven't experienced any breakouts. I bought this on sale for 10 bucks only (3 for 30 deal) and immediately purchased another one through their website for my mother. The packaging is cute but bulky and feels awkward when opening and closing, however it's still cute to look at and practical. I love the body shop..quality products for reasonable prices

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by b82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

Nice product. I'm glad I gave it a try after reading the raving reviews on here. I used MAC Studio Fix for several years (worked well when I first got it 8 years ago but recently it just wasn't working well with my complexion, made me look extremely dull and grey). I searched a great deal for the right powder for my oily skin. I was looking for something that didn't wear off within an hour, gave decent coverage, and didn't oxidize. I decided to settle for Estee Lauder Double Wear after trying several products but then I came across this powder. I think this powder is better than Estee Lauder since it stays on longer and gives a better finish. I would recommend giving it a try. I use # 4 for my NC 30-35 skin.

UPDATE: purchased my second one. Seems like this powder runs out quickly but I still like this powder very much and will continue to purchase unless I find something comparable or better.

UPDATE: I've been suffering from congested skin for the 10 months or so. Its been really bad and my pore size has gotten worse. I've tried a new skincare routine, visited a dermatologist and had chemical peels done and everything else I can think of but nothing really worked. Now I'm starting to suspect that this powder is causing it. I realized this when I was reading another product review on MUA and someone stated that products with Talc are pore clogging. I immediately checked the ingredients on this powder and lo behold the first thing that was listed was Talc. Also, I realized that I started having more problems with large pores and congested skin just around the time I started using this product.

Overall, I really think this is a good powder but I won't be repurchasing anymore because I'm worried that its clogging my pores really bad.

Update: After patiently searching for something comparable to this powder and I came across Pr Minerals 4 in 1 Pressed Powder and so far I am really liking it.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No