November 29, 2014 | 883 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - soak 'n' float shampoo bar

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2010 1:09:00 AM More reviews by hulakids

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I am writing this review on behalf of my husband, who I'm sure like other husbands, proabably think of LUSH products as he likes to call it, "girlie soap stuff". Well. soak n float certainly changed his mind! I'm not going to mince words and at least LUSH is also upfront, this product has a smell that leaves a lot to be desired. But, IT WORKS!!
My husbands dandruff was getting increasingly worse, so he keep using more of Pert dandruff or Head and Shoulders shampoo. This made the occasional "snow flurry" into an all out "BLIZZARD", I'm taking about severe white out conditions!! Ugh!!
He stumbled upon the LUSH catalog I had around the house the other day, decided to call the local LUSH and was recommended this and asked if I could pick it up. That night, he used some Hair Doctor (i had some leftover) and Soak n Float and WOW, the results were immediate! He said his scalp wasn't itchy and he wasn't getting any "snow conditions" on his black t-shirt. Three days later, he commented that it works well and hasn't seen "snow" since using this shampoo. When asked about the smell, he said he didn't mind it. The shampoo does leave a residual smell in the hair and thank goodness, isn't as strong as the bar itself, it's actually "okay".
If you're one of those who likes to smell your significant other's hair, I suggest using a conditioner. I also strongly suggest keeping this in the soap tin, as the smell will waif around the bathroom...
PROs
- evironmentally conscious - no packaging
- a little goes a long way
- EFFECTIVE against dandruff!!
-LUSH has a great return policy
CONs
-Contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (LUSH can't you find a healthier substitute?)
-Funny smell, LUSH phrases it as "barbeque charcoal", to me it sort of smells like burnt plastic

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by JulesGrey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have seborrhoea, which causes my scalp to be sensitive, flaky and itchy. This shampoo bar smells really bad, like your clothes after sitting by a campfire, but it does take care of my itchy and flaky scalp without making it worse. The trick is to first quickly later up your scalp with a swipe or two, rinse, then lather up again again only your scalp. Really massage the thicker lather you get in the second lathering into your scalp. Apply conditioner to your lengths, wait. Wait. Wait. Rinse it all out. Apply just a little bit of fragrant leave-in conditioner and it will mask the scent nicely and make your hair behave because this can be a bit drying. One bar lasts and lasts. A treatment a week is enough, usually I do it after my weekly oiling. So, even if it is more expensive than an ordinary shampoo it lasts longer and it works. Trust me, with the awful smell I would not repurchase if I had found something that worked better.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2009 2:15:00 PM More reviews by harron1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had been having problems with an itchy scalp and thought that maybe the shampoo that I was using was the problem. I went to Lush looking for a more "natural' approach to my hair care, and the employee suggested Soak N Float. The smell was bad as far as shampoos go - it smells like a bon fire. However, it did make my scalp less itchy. It didn't solve the problem, but this shampoo, as part of a new routine, has made a difference. It also lasts longer than I thought it would...it's nearly December now and I bought it in August and still have about a third left, and I use it everyday.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2009 3:05:00 PM More reviews by canmorg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I get itchy flaky scalp in the winter months so I decided to try this shampoo bar. First thing I could smell when I opened my box from Lush. Holy man does this shampoo ever REEK. I have it on a soap dish on a self in my bathroom and you can smell it as soon as you walk in. If I had to describe the smell I would say it smells like something that was in a house fire, yeah it's not good....but either is flakes on a black shirt. I was surprised how quickly this bar lathers, I can tell it's good quality and will last me awhile. This bar totally does what it's supposed to, NO FLAKES!!! My hair is left soft and shiny and once I use my styling products I cannot smell the odor of this product. My only complaint I would have is that the next morning my hair looks a bit greasy, so I may only use it twice a week. Bottom line if you have flakes you have got to give this a try!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2009 12:37:00 PM More reviews by infernokat

I guess everyone's scalp is different, but this just did not work for me. If anything, it may have made my scalp more flaky, and my hair didn't feel particularly clean either. Bottom line: smells bad and didn't work. I'm returning it to the store and going back to my tried-and-true combo: DressGreen shampoo bars from Etsy and Big.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2009 7:50:00 AM More reviews by alizarine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I find all Lush shampoo bars completely hazardous to my scalp! I've tried three of them, and not even the ones suitable for sensitive scalps were gentle enough. You might just as well use Fairy liquid.

The Soak'n'float bar is supposed to be good for dandruff and itchy scalps. It's not. I think it may work of you have a problem with microbes, but if you're just sensitive or dry itchy, then look somewhere else. Lush shampoos are not made for those of us with sensitive scalps or for those of us who care about our longer hair, but if you must, choose (wisely) one of the liquid shampoos instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 10:00:00 PM More reviews by SwedishGirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I had dry itchy scalp and dandruff. Had tried everything. Nothing helped. I was very sceptical towards this because of it's strong, not so pleasent smell. Well but this solved my problem!! JUST wash and rinse through a couple of times extra. And ALWAYS keep the bar tight inside the LUSH shampoo container. I LOVE u LUSH! Please MARRY ME ;) :) :-*

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by Rockabillygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a dandruff problem so i decide to give this shampoo a try! I wanted to love this and hoped that it worked for me! I used one sample bar and then i brought a regular bar. Both did nothing for my scap. All it did was give it a really bad smell! i was even willing to use it even if it made my hair smell Rancid! I just though hey as long as it works and gets rid of my dandruff problem..well It didnt work and for it being close to 10.00 i will not buy this again! I only give it a 2 lippie since it is made by LUSH and i am a big fan of there products! And also since it is a solid shampoo without any packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2009 11:03:00 PM More reviews by junkfood

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had previously tried Trichomania, and that didn't work for me. So I decided to try a different solid shampoo, and went for soak n float since I have a dandruff problem.
I've finished the bar, and it's lasted a few months, but that's using it about 3-4 times a week and only on the scalp. But I used it along with Curly Wurly shampoo. This did not eliminate my dandruff, it just reduced it. But now that I'm done with the bar. Also, about the smell, I could smell it, but it wasn't really strong for me.
Overall, I liked it, but no miracles.
3.5/5

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2009 9:49:00 PM More reviews by sleepingapple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am writing this review on behalf of my husband.
He has severe psoriasis; his scalp is red and irritated, and he has a lot of flakes. He decided to give this a shot to see if it made any difference in the condition of his scalp. After about two weeks' use, he reports less itching, softer and healthier hair, less redness, and a slight decrease in flakes. He also loves the scent, but he is a man who loves smokey scotches, so I can see the appeal for him.
He also thinks it's really easy to use, and he likes the little tin! The shampoo gets stuck in the tin, so he just rubs the bar all over his head while it's still in the tin.