October 26, 2014 | 1212 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2011 1:35:00 AM More reviews by cutierochellie

I've been using this product for almost a year now, and I LOVE IT!! My dermatologist recommended it last summer when I broke out in huge, red cystic acne on my forehead between my eyebrows. I've never had terrible acne problems before, just one or two pimples during my t.o.m. My bathroom featured just about every drugstore acne product available, nothing seemed to work. I started using this as my cleanser every morning and night, and my face started clearing up (with the help of neutrogena acne stress control toner). I don't know why this combo worked, because cetaphil is not medicated. Maybe i needed the acne medication to sit on my face for longer as opposed to washing it right off. I must say, though, that my acne is not genetic, and was probably caused by sweat and bacteria, which is why this product worked for me. This product lathers easily, takes off most of my makeup except mascara and eyeliner of course, has a pleasant smell (though this might not be a good thing for sensitive skin), and leaves the skin feeling clean and refreshed. Only issue is that it does get soft and mushy easily if left in water. I use a soap dish with perforations at the bottom to drain the excess water and keep it dry. Nevertheless, this product is a definite repurchase!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by pumibel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like the Cetaphil liquid cleanser for dry skin as well, but I don't have overly dry skin. I use the liquid when my face feels more irritated or if I have used a peel recently. I have used the Basis bars before as well as one from Clinique (years ago) and many other types from health food stores, etc, but the Cetaphil bar has always been better IMO.

Since the liquid does not take off makeup I use the antibacterial Cetaphil soap for everyday cleansing. I use it on my face, neck, and upper back. Even though it says it is for dry sensitive skin, I have always found it suitable for oily skin/combo as well. I started using it many years ago, but I like to switch up with other cleansers to try new stuff.

The bar lasts forever, and it will not melt away to nothing when it gets wet. I know a lot of people cringe over bars because they think a lot of germs are on them, but studies have shown that they don't necessarily collect more germs than a hand pump. The bar is antibacterial, so it shouldn't do that anyway.

This is a cheap gentle cleanser that will take off makeup and leave the skin nice and soft. I have no problems using it along with BP creams for acne. It leaves no residue or film behind- just clean skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2011 9:18:00 PM More reviews by msiloveicecream

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pros:
not as drying
pleasant smell
makes skin soft right after washing it off (for me)
cleans well

Cons:
makes my eyes sting
it melts like OMG! and this is one of my main reasons why i wouldn't repurchase (i use a plastic soap container)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by beautifuldreamer324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i HATED this. It was really cheap, and I was looking for a basic cleanser after a bad reaction to Noxema. This was about $2 and some odd change. At first, I thought this wasn't so bad. However, after about a week or so, I started breaking out with new blemishes using this, especially on my skin. I was very disappointed! I use this on my body now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Jiketsu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

My dermatologist recommended this Cetaphil cleansing bar for my skin when I had bad acne issues. I don't have acne as much anymore, only occasional break outs, but I still use this as my daily morning/night cleanser. My skin feels very clean afterwards, without any residual feeling. It rinses off easily. It's gentle and not over-drying. Although the box states "for sensitive DRY skin" I have oily skin, but still use it without complaints. It doesn't make my face any oilier than if I used a different soap specifically for oily skin (ie Neutrogena or something). It's somewhat foamy, if you like a good lather, this can do it. I use it with a soft baby face cloth to really work up a good scrub. Whenever I don't use it for an extended amount of time, I notice pimples do resurface, so I guess after all these years it's safe to say antibacterial Cetaphil helps keep my acne at bay.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by eebalch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This has been great for my acne prone face. Cheap and easy to find.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Carrielynn1212

I had such high hopes for this product after reading all the ratings. However, it's been about a week and my skin is in worse condition than when I started. I have such picky skin; it reacts to everything. I am also one of the strange dry skin/acne prone people and i've been trying everything to fix this. I get all types of zits, but mostly stubborn cysts that nothing seems to work on.
The box claims that this is for dry and sensitive skin, which is exactly what I have. However, it dries me out SO bad, which is not good because I am stripping my skin of it's natural oils and then have to overcompensate with moisturizer. My skin texture and tone are the worst it's been in a long time, and various cysts keep popping up...just can't continue this. Time to try a new cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Sparklinglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product! have tried so many cleansers that have not worked or just broke me out more.. this product has worked better than any other and has helped control my breakouts! not to drying either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this as both a facial cleanser and total body soap for about five years now, it has helped clear up my complexion but is not drying or harsh. LOVE IT. It is a bit pricey, but if you buy from target or walmart or amazon, you can save quite a few $$.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2010 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Jess718

Hi. I'm a new member to MakeupAlley and this is my first time reviewing a product, so please bare with me. =) I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts. I've used so many products on the market from ProActiv to Clean and Clear and Noxema.. the list goes on and on, but they've all had the same reaction to my skin. They would work for a couple of months and just when I thought my search for the "perfect" skin product was over they would fail me. I've heard so many great reviews on the Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar so I decided to purchase it. I've been using it for a few days now, but while some areas of my face have cleared up I've noticed that two new pimples have formed elsewhere. Lots of people say to give it time and I'll begin to see progression. Others say that the product is supposed to bring out the acne and then it will begin the healing process. I would normally at least try and give it some time, but I'm standing up in a wedding in 2 weeks and it is very important that I get my skin as clear as I possibly can. I am very desperate. I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has used the product and can let my know if my reaction to it is normal and that it in fact will get better or if I should just toss it. I'm stumped!! If anyone can share anything with me I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!!