October 25, 2014 | 1628 users online

Shampoo - Nizoral AD Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by captainlindarg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm not really one to say anything like this, but this product is seriously a miracle worker.

My boyfriend has suffered from dandruff for as long as I've known him. Luckily, it has never been serious but a mild annoyance. He's tried everything from Head and Shoulders to Neutrogena T-Gel, all with lackluster results. Thanks to the ladies at MUA, I helped him find Nizoral. He used it a few times a week at the beginning. His dandruff started becoming less frequent, so he then used it only when he noticed it starting to make a comeback. I was floored! I've never heard of anything that actually works this well to keep dandruff at bay. Recently, I started to get a little bit as well. I freaked and bought a new bottle of Nizoral and treated it and it's no longer a problem. Love this stuff!

It's a little pricey but totally worth it, and chances are that the bottle will last a while because you don't use it everyday. If you suffer from dandruff, even a little bit, this is the cure.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by sushivorous

I used this on my chest and stomach in high school when I had a skin fungus that was aggrivated by heat. I was told that I'd have to wash with this for the rest of my life, but after a week or two it went away for good and hasn't come back in 6-7 years.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2010 9:31:00 PM More reviews by MutedDragon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have used all of the antidandruff and regular shampoos in the past 15 years. It took me a while to take a chance on this shampoo because of the price and because I had no luck before. So it cost $15 and my SO uses it with me. We were both amazed that suddenly, our dandruff was gone. No flakes. We wash our hairs every other day, first this shampoo then Garnier Fructis's antidandruff shampoo. I can wear black again without brushing my shoulders. I don't have to check myself every time I touch my hair. My scalp isn't itchy and this doesn't leave my hair full of residue like H&S does. The smell is just like other antidandruff shampoo (except Garnier Fructis which always smells great and fruity), but it doesn't make my hair brittle and rough. Though it's pricey, it does its job which is wonderful! Finally! I found a working product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2010 7:27:00 PM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this shampoo because it prevents dandruff, greasiness, flakiness, etc. like no other. That being said, it does dry out your hair, but since I only need it for my scalp which is where the problem starts, I only apply it to my scalp. I first lather up my regular shampoo into my scalp and hair, then I put a few drops of this onto my scalp and work it into the lather that is already in my scalp. I leave that on for about 2 minutes while Im doing other things in the shower and then rinse it out and condition. Do not get this into the rest of your length of hair or you will be left with a dry brittle mess of hair. The price is expensive but since I only use a few drops every day I figure that it doesnt add up quickly. Still, I wish it was less pricey so that is why I am taking off one lippy. There is nothing that I have found that controls dandruff so well without leaving your hair a dry brittle mess. Neutrogena TSal is okay, but you have to use more than a few drops for it to work and then it ends up depositing into the rest of your hair, making it realllyy dry. head and Shoulders is the same idea. get this if you have dandruff! OH AND IF YOU WANT TO GROW YOUR HAIR. I havent noticed because my haire grows way fast to begin with, but alot of ladies have been raving about how this helps them grow their hair in fast. I think that this is because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole in the nizoral. the ketoconazole prevents fungus *gross* from growing in your hair (i guess the kind you cant see, because who ever sees fungus growing in your hair unless you are homeless or something), and preventing your hair from growing. Alot of ladies from the Long Hair Care Forum use this along with Monistat cream (because it contains an ingredients that is also an antifungal) left on overnight to grow their hair. You can find out how to use the monistat if you search on youtube and search "monistat and hair growth". and no, this isnt the monistat that ladies here are using on their face for a face primer. its the actual VAG cream. LOL!!

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by rallu

I don't have dandruff but I have oily scalp and back and sometimes I get little bumps. I bought it based on some reviews saying that it helps to regulate the oil, heal the bumps on back and scalp and that it helps with hair growth. It did absolutely nothing for me except drying my hair really bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 11:28:00 PM More reviews by clea911991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got the 2% prescription strength from ebay to use on my scalp as well as face (I have a condition called pityrosporum folliculitis - acne-like symptoms due to overgrowth of yeast, you might have it if you notice a correlation between dandruff and acne, or if standard acne medications and antibiotics don't work for you). The first thing I noticed was how tiny the bottle was considering its price. It had better work! Unfortunately it only worked the first time I used it. I washed my hair with it and applied a thin layer on my face which I washed off after ten minutes. My dandruff went away and my face seemed a lot less bumpy and even less oily. However the results only lasted half the day. By nightfall my hair felt really greasy and my folliculitis was acting up again, not to mention the flakes returned. I tried it again the next day, but it only left my face tight and sore and this time REALLY damaged my hair. I normally have pretty strong hair but this turned my hair to straw. I'm now using Head&Shoulders classic clean with great results (both for my scalp and facial skin). I guess it's a hit or miss, a lot of people say nizoral works better but it just didn't do the trick for me. The only reason I'm giving it 3 stars is because I find that it works okay as a clarifying shampoo when mixed with several drops of tea tree oil. I still find it very harsh, so I only use it when Head&Shoulders seem to not be working as well (because the fungus on the scalp and face have grown resistant) which is about once a month. Then I go back to using Head&Shoulders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nizoral does work (the 2% strength from Canada MUCH better than the OTC 1% sold in the USA) but I hate using it. I hate the smell (though it's not horrid odor, I just don't like the smell) & I think it dries out my hair.

I also don't like the price, but I won't complain about that. :)
Not only would I buy it again but I've also already repurchased this several times.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by illeyad

Finally a dandruff product that gets the job done!! I have tried 3 others: Head & Shoulders (which works if you just have regular flakes), Selsun Blue, and Dermarest. But none of them compare to the fast action of Nizoral.

When I first laid eyes on the plain packaging and high price tag, I was sceptical that this product would actually work. However, I had tried others that left much to be desired- they could never completely rid me of my terrible winter dandruff. I felt like a snow globe, when you shook me, my snow flakes flew everywhere. I chose this because it promised to defeat the bacteria in your scalp that causes dandruff in the first place. It was the only product that promised to go to the root of the cause, so I snatched up a small $10 bottle and went home. When I first opened it, it looks like a pink thick gel that stains the inside of the bottle from white to bright pink. I took a whiff of the concoction and smelt like medicine. It promised silky manageable hair, but I had my doubts. I just wanted the dandruff to go away!

I lathered it in, the instructions say to keep it on for a few minutes, i left it on for nearly 10. After rinsing it out, my scalp felt a little sensitive, but there was no burning or itching sensation. I blow dried my hair and brushed out. I had very few flakes. I was really impressed. I went out and I flaked a little bit, but nothing like before. I waited a few days and did a second treatment. The first time got rid of 80%, now it got rid of 95%. I had 2 or 3 flakes come down, and that was it. By the third treatment, I had nothing. My scalp felt clean, and my dandruff was gone.

One thing is for certain, it will not give you manageable hair, I needed my regular shampoo to get that. Thankfully the medical smell is easily masked by normal shampoo. Furthermore, it provided oil control, I was considerably less oily after using this product.

I definitely recommend it if you have bad dandruff as a weekly treatment to keep it at bay.
Happy SHopping!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by excelsa

After reading the good reviews I decided to try Nizoral since my hair is falling out due to seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).

I have oily scalp (sometimes with itching but without flaking) and I figured this would work because of the antifungal properties of the ketoconazole.

I have been using it for almost 6 weeks and I donīt really notice any change in my scalp and it did not work for stopping hair loss.

I did not notice any irritation or dryness after using it it but doesn't do anything spectacular and it is a little bit expensive.

Maybe, it is only a good option if you have dry or flaky scalp.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Sereneness

I was cursed with pretty serious dandruff all my life - nothing I tried ever worked. Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue and even rubbing my scalp with baking soda did not help. Then one night I was browsing through MUA and noticed the reviews on Nizoral. The reviews convinced me to give it a try, and I am very grateful to this community! After 3 uses (every other day), my dandruff and itchy scalp pretty much disappeared. I stopped using it and switched back to my Dove shampoo. When I see early signs of flaking again, I wash once with Nizoral and it generally does the trick.

To maximize effectiveness of Nizoral (or any anti-dandruff shampoo):
- Do not use it continuously (3 times a week MAX) or the scalp will build resistance to that shampoo and your dandruff will come back. If that happens, you could try rotating to another anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Leave it on the scalp for around 5-10 minutes (no more than that or it'll cause irritation) before rinsing to let it work into the skin.
-Do not rewash your scalp with another shampoo (even though it's a lil stinky ><) because the residue left over from the Nizoral shampoo will allow it to be more effective.

It doesn't have the greatest smell, and it does leave your hair somewhat dry. However, I find that following up with a conditioner helps with the dryness. I definitely recommend this product.

(Updated: 2/19/2010)