April 21, 2014 | 1336 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by margaretfarnham

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love the size of this palette and the fact that it gives me all of my eye "stuff" in one package. Each of the three lighter neutral colors are very useful in different situations. I used wOs most days with naked 2 in the crease. I use crave on my waterline at night. Faint is both a good day liner and as a brow filler. The lightest color has a tiny bit of shimmer and is a great highlighter!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by cadwell125

This is the perfect palette. I wear this everyday. The shades are beautiful, highly pigmented, very blendable, and last all day with no fading or creasing. The size is perfect to take on the go. Great value for $27!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been eyeing this palette for some time. I couldn't bring myself to drop $27 on it - just seems overpriced. I waited patiently and lo and behold, ULTA gave me a 20% off coupon to use towards it.

I am so glad I purchased this. It's small but perfect for travel. The shadows are what you come to expect from UD - creamy, highly pigmented, blendable, and long wearing. This palette is pretty versatile because the shades are so neutral. You can do both daytime & evening looks. My first look was a smokey eye using nothing but this palette. I got so many compliments - enough to erase any doubts I had about spending the money. This palette is also good to create a soft eye that's appropriate for work and other more conservative settings.

Overall, it's pricey but it's like any UD Naked palette - an investment. If you can get past the price tag, you won't be sorry.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2014 6:49:00 AM More reviews by atlanta

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I saw this in an ulta 3 ad and decided to try. I wanted to get my make up routine down to a few basic items as I was in an orchid bobby brown rut. I've never used urban decay before now I'm sold. How does this dry powder look creamy? Yes my eyelids are starting to get crepey looking, this pallet's options brings out the best in my blue eyes. I used the darkest shade with a dry brush for a thin eye liner, blend the next darkest in the crease and add some light on the brow bone add mascara and eyes are done. Lasts all day at work without any touch ups. I'll be sad when this is used up! My only negative is I thought it was expensive but in hindsight worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by cawhitern

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to, everyday eyeshadow. I'm in my 50s and I don't like the frost/shimmer eyeshadows and this is just perfect. The shadow goes on easily, doesn't ever crease (yea!) and can be applied in so many ways for lots of different looks. Perfect for day or evening looks. Easily create a natural look or a smokey eye. And this palette does not bother my sensitive eyes! The only drawback (IMHO) is there are too many of the very light shadows and not enough of the taupe shadows. I'm definitely going to run out of 2 colors way before the rest. For that reason alone I will probably not repurchase and will instead pick up those 2 shadows I use the most. Bottom line: am I glad I purchased? Absolutely!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2014 11:26:00 AM More reviews by Kellie183

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'll admit I only bought this palette because I owned all the other naked palettes, I'm more of a shimmer girl but these mattes are perfect for everyday wear. I also use faint for my eyebrows and it's perfect. For €26 I can't fault it either. Packaging can be a bit hard to open but it protects the products inside perfectly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 7:11:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

I think this is the perfect palette for a person wanting some great neutral eyeshadows in a compact case - especially if you don't already own a batch of them. However, I do own a batch of neutral shadows and found that these were not any more outstanding than the many MAC, UD or other ones I already have and so I passed my palette along to my future daughter in law. The formulation of these shadows is excellent, though, and I do recommend the palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 5:59:00 PM More reviews by futurestrength

This is a perfect palette. I use Naked 2 and Faint to fill in my eyebrows, Crave you can use for eyeliner, and Venus as an eyebrow/inner eye highlight. This is on top of the fact that these are all eyeshadows, so you can use them to create most daytime eye looks. Perfect for anyone travelling, or a gym bag, etc. I will always rebuy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by lucyjadebyrne

Absolutely adore this palette! I got the Urban Decay NAKED Basics palette about a month ago, it was my first 'high end' eyeshadow palette and I can tell you now, it did not disappoint. The palette is made up of 6 different shades all of which are matte except for one, 'Saturn' which has a satin finish which I really like. These colours are literally the 'basics' as it claims and can create so many looks from a simple neutral eye to a heavy smokey eye. I really consider them essentials, especially for someone like me who doesn't like to wear particularly bright or bold colours on their eyes. The quality of the shadows themselves is absolutely 10/10, couldn't ask for better. They stay on & in place all day without the aid of an eyeshadow primer. So please, great buy and so worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When Urban Decay initially released this palette I scoffed to myself - who the heck would want a palette of all mattes?! Not I! Then I received this as a gift and given that I loved the original Naked palette so much, I thought I should go ahead and try it out . . . then I slowly but surely fell in love.

When I thought of matte shadows in the past, chalky, batch, poorly pigmented were characteristics that immediately came to mind. Naked Basics defies all of those expectations. Admittedly the shadows are nowhere as smooth and buttery as UD's shimmery eyeshadows, but they have to be some of the best matte eyeshadows I've ever used. They're soft, silky, and apply very true to their pan color and blend together very nicely. A little does go a long way with these eyeshadows. Venus is a vanilla demi-matte, meaning it has more of a satin texture and is perfect the center of the lid or inner corners of the eyes. It would probably be perfect for a brow highlight too, as it is brightening but not ridiculously frosty and stark. Foxy and W.O.S. (Foxy is a slightly yellowed vanilla and W.O.S. is more peach in color) don't seem very different on my tanned Asian skin and I use them interchangeable - my only real gripe with this palette. Naked 3 is a beautifully neutral light taupe that I enjoy as an all-over lid base color. Faint is a lovely blendable neutral chocolate brown and Crave is probably one of the lovelier, almost true black mattes I've come across.

The key to creating a wider range of looks is mixing the colors with one another. You can do without mixing the shadows and create polished everyday looks and even a striking smoky eye look, but I love to dip my brush into two, sometimes even three (living dangerously) to create the desired depth and shade for accenting my eyes. As touched upon earlier, these matte eyeshadows blend surprisingly well! They also last a good while, no visible fading or creasing with eye primer. Furthermore, it turns out mattes are actually way more flattering on my hooded eyes than the shimmery shadows I've been lusting after all my life.

Also, this palette has been quite useful for filling in my brows when I'm feeling up to it. I mix Faint with a touch of Crave to deepen my brows and it looks quite natural if I do say so myself.

As much as I secretly wish Urban Decay had expanded this palette into a 12-shadow one with a brush, like the other Nakeds, the reduced size makes it perfect for travel and oh-so-helpfully dumbs down your options so it is indeed "basic" and very user-friendly. The slightly rubberized plastic case feels nice and sturdy in my hands, although it does tend to attract dusty fingerprints if you're not careful.

In closing, I LOVE this palette and would gladly repurchase should I ever need to.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No