Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my go-to foundation. I prefer not to use concealer, and the coverage in this is great! If I want a lighter coverage, I simply mix it with my moisturizer and sheer out the constancy a bit. A little it goes a long way, so it's easy to use too much. If it looks a little heavy, I spritz my face with a finishing spray. This seems to help the foundation look more skin-like. It lasts all day with my combination skin. Highly recommend.

I bought this foundation and it will probably go to the trash almost intact. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kat, and I love that this is a vegan product, but it doesn't look natural AT ALL.

When I apply this foundation I look amazing, so flawless, but then an hour later or two I look like a mess, full of oil and also dry patches. It also emphasises my fine lines.

Something that I HATE about this foundation is that also emphasises my pores like crazy, even the ones that I don't feel I have. It is supposed to look well on oily skin, but oily skin has large pores, doesn't need a foundation that makes them appear bigger.

No technique, primer or cream did the trick, it just doesn't work for me.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is a very full coverage foundation. That said - it doesn't feel heavy or caked on. It can look it though if you don't blend well, quick, and often. It does what a good foundation should do, give a natural nice finish. Doesn't break me out and I am acne prone.

I've worn this foundation for almost a year and I really enjoy it. First, it's extremely important to get a proper shade match as this is opaque so if your shade doesn't match perfectly things start to look weird. I know because for the longest time I wore this in the wrong shade. I am a true nc15 in Mac sff and initially used this in light 44. It always looked off. Light 44 is peach toned and looks orange. Now I wear light 45 and it has made such a big difference! It is a perfect match for nc15. This foundation takes practice to apply according to skin type. But once you figure it out it can be really beautiful and skin like and not cakey at all. Also I have highly reactive and sensitive acne prone skin and have had absolutely zero issues with breakouts. The only gripe I have is that it tends to get shiny on my tzone and doesn't last as long as it claims. I don't find this to be a true matte formula at all so if that's something you want I wouldn't choose this. Overall a really nice foundation.

I love Kat Von D products but this breaks me out every time I use it. I love the coverage so much I will put up with the breakout to have the most flawless face and beautiful texture. I love the look so much but I pay every time I use it.

I bought this product excited to try something for full coverage because I'm not a fan of my freckles. I used it maybe two weeks and had terrible breakouts on my cheek (I have never he acne before) I immediately stopped using the products and got all new brushes.

I'm still battling the scaring from the breakouts and the breakouts the self and it has been 3 weeks now. Terrible terrible product!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

This stuff smells like industrial spray paint. I could barely get it on my face and I'm not a person who is sensitive to smells at all. The colors for WOC are really awful and they have really weird unhuman undertones. If you're darker than a medium tan there will be no shades for you. Yes this is full coverage but I can't honestly imagine wearing this for anything beside a tattoo cover up for a photo shoot, which is what I think this was originally intended for, not everyday facial foundation. The feel of this is more like paint than foundation, which is not good even for a full coverage product.

LOVE this coverage. It lasts almost all day and is waterproof. Only one downside, a major one at that, it broke me out so badly. My skin before using this foundation was pretty good and now I have active pimples all over my cheeks. The coverage may be great but due to the awful breakouts it gives me, I don't think it's even worth buying again

There's no beating around the bush, I like a full coverage foundation. I've tried a less is more approach, but I always have and always will prefer that full cover, matte finish foundation.

One of my all time favorites is Mac sff. I used revlon CS as a staple product basically from high school into my early 20s. I like maybelline matte and poreless a lot-- it is my daily go to now.

I got a sample of the KVD lock it. Two samples actually: shades 45 and 48. I am a little lighter than nc20 with a lot of yellow in my skin.

Shade wise both matches were pretty good. 48 is more beige where 45 is more bright yellow. I prefer the 45 because it brightens up my complexion. 48 seems to dull it down quite a bit BC it has more cooler beige tones than 45. 48 I also had to blend into my neck a bit BC my neck is paler than my face and chest. 45 blended seamlessly into my jawline. In short, I could go with either. I choose 45 :)

Off the bat this clung to dry patches VERY badly. I have oily skin in general, but there was one patch on my cheek apparently. I didn't even know there was dry patchiness until the foundation went on-- now that entire spot of my face is flaking.

My pores are greatly minimized which is GREAT! Yet my fine lines are highly exacerbated. :(

The coverage is great, but I still can see I need an undereye concealer. My undereye is still quite dark

In natural sunlight this is cakey around my mouth- where I guess my skin might be a little dry. This foundation also seems to highlight vellus hairs in natural lighting

I haven't worn it a full day so I can't comment on oil control. But I can already tell this is a pass for me.

That being said I think a 20 year old version of myself would have loved this! If you have really oily skin and want to cover acne, this seems really great. And the packaging rocks as well!

But when you have fine lines, and combination skin with random dry spots-- this seems to highlight every flaw moreso than it conceals them. My 30 year old skin is a big no with this one.

****For those who want to reference this to Mac sff. KVD is drier, thicker, it dries/sets faster on skin so you need to work faster. It seems to set more matte-- IMO SFF sets matte, but with a sheen. KVD is pure matte. SFF doesn't cling to my dry spots or draw attn to my vellus hairs. Mac has more options for my yellow undertones.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This has become pretty much my go-to full face foundation. The packaging is pretty, the coverage is amazing (I even use it to cover some of my tattoos I'm having removed and works amazingly) and it's not nearly as drying as I expected it to be.

The only downside I can think of is that it definitely settles into my forehead wrinkles a lot and sometimes clumps up around the sides of my nose. If it didn't do that, it'd be my favorite full coverage foundation.

Video Reviews & Tutorials