Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Expert Face Brush

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my HG brushes for foundation application. It's great for powder and liquid, even cream! I have not experienced any shedding since I bought it which was about 5months ago. And it is still good as new. I have a back- up and will not regret buying again if it got lost because it is very affordable and worth it! No funky after wash smell too! I love it!

on 5/18/2015 9:36:00 AM

GORGEOUS brush. I use mine for liquid foundation but it's also amazing for buffing powder or concealer into the skin. My go-to brush.
Washes perfectly and the bristles don't fall out when you're doing make up leaving you with long black hairs all over your face (as some brands.. ahem... MAC! ... often do!).
Usually on 3 for 2 at Superdrug. Great value.

on 5/15/2015 8:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

The only other Real Techniques product I have used is the Complexion Sponge, which is what I have mainly been using to apply foundation in the last few months. As it does absorb the product quite quickly and takes forever to clean, I decided to go back to using a brush again. Even though it looks quite small, this brush works really well to blend and apply my makeup smoothly and doesn't get dirty too easily. So far, this would probably be my favourite foundation brush.

on 5/11/2015 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Looking through my old reviews, I see that at one point I was using the Ecotools foundation brush. I gave it a great review, so I must have loved it, but then I quit using long ago that I honestly don't remember using it at all although it's sitting underneath my sink. I've been using my fingers to blend my foundation at LEAST through my last bottle, if not longer than that. BUT my foundation would get a little cakey by mid-day above my upper lip if I was too generous with the foundation...but I wanted to be generous, because I actually NEED foundation. Then I saw a review for this brush and wondered if it was my technique to blame and not the foundation. I watched the short youtube video for how to use it, and grabbed it from Walmart for $8.98.

What I love about this brush is that it's so easy to use! My last brush was called a "foundation brush" and I used it like a paintbrush, smearing my foundation in strokes. That's a little too much thinking early in the morning, trying to get it even and not leaving streaks of too much/too little. I guess that's why I went back to my fingers? This brush is more of a "buffer." I smear my foundation from my finger to my skin and then "buff" it in circles all around until it disappears. Then I do the same thing to another area, ect. It's easy, it's blendable, and it seems to allow better "building" with my foundation than fingers or the foundation brush.

Just a word of caution...I think I use twice as much foundation with this brush than without it. Personally, I think that's a POSITIVE statement, because I actually WANT to use foundation when I use foundation...but not everyone does. Some people don't need coverage like I do.

on 5/10/2015 4:38:00 PM

I LOVE this brush. First off, I'm a non-makeup gal--only for 'occasions'. Method my whole life has been a tinted spf moisturizer and *maybe* some liquid foundation on top, applied with fingers or sponge. Since so many new tools and videos and applications have come out in the last decade, it's been fun to read about and experiment, so I decided that if and when I wear makeup these days, to do it right.

Also, in my early 50s, the rosacea has really kicked in. Luckily, due to the daily spf, I don't have many wrinkles. I forget how I found it, but I use this and the RT Stippling brush. I use the stippler to apply a green liquid to my rosacea areas and love that, then, use the RT Expert for foundation.

Products: RT Stippling with Physician's Formula green concealer, then RT Expert with Makeup Forever HD Foundation

Application: (learned via Wayne Goss on youtube) Half pump MUFHD on back of hand, spot apply all over face with a finger. Broad down strokes over all face, then circular all over, then reverse direction. (I might try another poster's method, dip tip of brush in liquid and stipple it, then swirl.)

Results: Very airbrushed but great coverage. So much less I use and so much better coverage than sponges or fingers! I love the feel of the brush on my skin. I do take a smaller foundation brush that tapers (Sonia Kashuk/Target) to get at my nose creases, I find the RT too big for that. Enjoy!

on 5/4/2015 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I've used this along with Urban Decay's Optic Blurring brush for a little over a year. Urban Decay's would shed with each cleaning and recently fell apart on me while this $9US brush is still has yet to lose a single hair.

on 4/28/2015 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This brush is reasonably priced ($9 I think?), sturdy, with a nice grippy handle and a useful weight distribution. It is large enough to buff cheek and jaw sections but small enough to blend the undereye area, and around the nose/mouth. I apply liquid foundation to my face directly with my fingers, then use the brush in a circular motion to blend. I suspect putting makeup directly on the brush could cause extra wear and tear. I haven't used super expensive brushes before, so maybe they're quite spectacular, but I like this one!

on 4/27/2015 2:03:00 PM

love this brush. bought two of them. .However one brush seems better than the other one which is strange..always used to use fingers to apply foundation but this brush was such a game changer. makes foundation look more flawless quicker application great brush.

on 4/26/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This brush is great. I was a sworn stippling brush devotee, but this has changed my makeup game completely.

It makes all of my foundations looks awesome, even some of the crappier ones. I use it for liquid foundations, and I like a dewy, natural looking finish, and this works perfectly.

I wasn't sold on my YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation, but after trying it with this brush I am considering going out and buying another shade for other seasons. The brush buffed this into my skin so well, and I got compliments on my skin/makeup that day. I couldn't believe this foundation could look so good.

There are a few cons to this brush. It takes a little bit of time to really buff the foundation in, and uses quite a bit of product, but despite this, my base never looks cakey. I will probably throw out my MAC 187 now, as it sheds so much hair and doesn't do half the job that this one does.

on 4/4/2015 4:09:00 PM

I'm gonna be absolutely honest........I didn't purchase anything from the real techniques line for a while due to the overwhelming amount of hype around're probably saying? what? why? wouldn't that make you want to purchase it?

but in reality I'm a brush snob. I own a lot of them, pay full price for the ones I know are worth it and due to that I tend to take my time in purchasing products. Off the bat, right after they launched I saw that got a tonnn of great reviews. but I was like meh...I tried eco tools, target brushes, so on so forth I'll wait (especially cause I have so many synthetic brushes already at that foundation brushes). Then I saw that they were on bogo at ulta so I thought....okay lets give it a shot.....

holy mother of god..............this is amazing.

This brush is EVERYTHING! well at least to me. There really is no other brush I can compare this to due to this odd ball shape. its dense and fluffy while having a pressed in edge allowing it to be flat? now before I go on I will say I LOVE full coverage that looks natural so my foundation brush of choice is flat top or rounded buffers. This is the best cause you can stipple, buff, and spread it on like a flat foundation brush. The best types of foundation to use this with thicker formulated foundations like kat von d's tattoo foundation where it can really spread and glide it on all over without it looking cakey. It also is great with mineral foundation because of how jam packed the bristles are allowing you to really buff it on and get the best coverage and especially due to the pinched sides, it allows you to go into every am I saying its limited to that specific type ? no it works great with almost every type of foundation I've tried so far. but I do prefer to use it really just for thicker foundations and mineral foundations just because I like using specific brushes for specific things due to me having so many already.

best part? its synthetic so cleaning it is a absolute breeze compared to natural hair.

would I purchase again ? absolutely
is it worth it? clearly !
is it budget friendly? ......yes and no kindaaaaa expensive for drugstore (honestly I'm cheap and biased when it comes to drugstore products) but it does go on sale so keep a eye out

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products