July 28, 2014 | 1963 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

This stuff right here? Absolutely positively destroyed my hair. I started using it in shade Brown Black because I wanted a box color to cover my greys and I wanted a permanent color that wouldn't wash out despite its claims of being permanent- I'm looking at you, Feria! But anyway, this color did the trick and I continued to use it for well over a year. And then one day I looked up and simply could not believe what a mess my hair had become. Dry, scraggly, straw-like. That's the thing about this dye, it gave good results initially but was extremely damaging over time. Using this product on a regular basis, the damage will sneak up on you.
I started a routine of protein treatments combined with deep conditioning and regular trims to try to fix my hair. In the end I basically had to wait for the mess to simply grow out altogether.
I have since switched to Clairol Nice n Easy and have been very pleased. My hair improved a million percent after I stopped using ColorSilk.
It's cheap and there's a reason why! Will never ever purchase this product again.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by maggiealisa

I was very surprised by this haircolor. I was scared it was going to leave my hair in horrible condition, considering how cheap it is. I was also worried about the color not turning out how I wanted it to. But, here I sit with the exact color I wanted, and my hair is in the same condition it was in before I colored it! I will definitely buy this again. For reference, I bought the medium ash blonde shade. I also didn't use the conditioner that came with the dye, and I applied a bit of coconut oil to my hair before I put the color on, as that always seems to help with the condition of my hair afterwards.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by Sellee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not the worst of the worst, but definitely not something I'd choose to use again. There was no initial damage done to my hair after using this dye, so the formula isn't bad at all. I find that it never washes out completely however, every time I wash my hair more dye comes out, and the water never runs clear. For the price, I think it's worth it, you just need to be careful about the shade you purchase. I used #11 Soft Black and it advertised on the box to have warm undertones in the color, but all I see is cool undertones no matter what lighting I'm in. It also came out much darker than expected. I'll have to keep my eye out for something better next time!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by amerskia

I used the Medium Auburn shade, and was a little disappointed in the coverage. I think the main problem was that I only bought one box. I had read some other reviews saying that one box was all they needed, even for long hair. That was definitely not my experience, though my hair is not that long (3 inches below my shoulders) or thick. To be fair, the directions recommend two boxes if your hair is past your shoulders. But since other reviews said they only needed one, I was overly optimistic. And of course the recommendation to use two boxes is inside the package, so I only read it after I was all set to dye my hair. But that's pretty standard.

The other issue I had was that the color didn't really cover my roots. I'm not sure if I didn't leave it on my roots long enough, didn't use a dark enough color, or what. Perhaps if I were using this on "virgin hair" it would have been fine.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by kellystars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Medium Rich Brown was a level 6 red brown on the box.

On my hair it was a level 3 espresso with no highlights. Like Sanda Bullock's hair when her hair is too harshly dark.

I will wait a while to see if it fades. But I won't pick up a box of this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 11:55:00 PM More reviews by stephimr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Dark Golden Brown. My ends were salon dyed with a demi-permanent color from a year ago but otherwise my natural dark brown-blackish mixed hair color. The results were ever-so slightly reddish. I mean barely reddish but something that i did notice but it didn't bother me. Keep in mind I was a little fearful that it would turn out botched red. Anyhow, my dirty-dark-brown hair was lighter and the color was flattering on me. I was going for a slightly lighter chocolatey/mud color. Strange I know but I used to love the color of henna I would apply to my hair before i rinsed it out and thats what i was going for. Since this product is ammonia free the damage isn't bad at all the color does fade slightly but thats over 3 months for me so far. I dyed it New Years. Great product. I will be using the Dark Blonde on the top portion of my hair over this color to give it a lighter brown/ honey hue. Maybe or maybe not this will work but because it was so gentle I dont mind trying it out. My hair color is gorgeous now but im gonna go a little more daring with the Dark Blonde 61.
Complaint- smell could've been nicer but it wasn't too overpowering. The rinse before the conditioner left my hair pretty dry. But hey you're dying your hair after all. Once I conditioned my hair I felt better. DO DEEP CONDITION your hair the next time you plan to wash it and maybe the next time after that. Then your dryness worries you may run into will be completely gone.
Instead of wasting all that money in a salon for what you didn't ask for you can go a safer route and dye it yourself with an inexpensive ($2.99-4.99) ammonia free/bleach free dye.
Oh- if you have long hair or kinky or thick curly hair. BUY TWO.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by michybabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

WARNING!! Don't use this if you have sensitive skin... Oh man, I used it and now an hour later I've erupted in rashes and allergies all over my body. I have a photo shoot in 2 days...Technically I should have tested this beforehand, but I've never had a problem with L'Oreal or Garnier so I just assumed this would be fine as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by kixxi54

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading all the great reviews for Revlon Colorsilk, I decided to give it a try. I was afraid the super low price of $2.99 at Walgreens would compromise the quality. I usually use Clairol from Sally's, but I was in need of a hair dye that would be quick and easy to use. I've used the more expensive brands of hair dye in the past, Redken, Chi, and I've had horrible PAINFUL experiences before. The last time I had a professional hair dye at a salon, I paid around $200 and my hair was COMPLETELY ruined, so I'm afraid of going through that again.
I purchased the Dark Brown color, and I'll never buy another brand again!!!! The hair dye did not smell like chemicals that sting your nostrils. It didn't burn my scalp. The consistency of the dye was perfect, not too runny. It was very easy to apply. After I washed it out, the water wasn't super black, which happens with all other dark hair dyes. I thought maybe my haircolor wasn't going to be so vibrant, but it was!!! Very soft, shiny, the perfect Dark Brown. I guess now I'll see how long it'll last! Don't let the low price scare you away, great quality dye!!! Love IT!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2013 2:16:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

I have been using this product for more than a year now.
I made the switch from L'Oreal Excellence because the dye never lasted long on my white hair (within 1-2 weeks it was like I had never colored it at all) even with use of color protectant products.The other reason I stopped using the L'Oreal is that they changed the proper gloves they used to give to the cheap thin plastic ones, but kept the price inflated (here it costs me NZ$24 per box). The Revlon is cheaper, and I had read raves on here for Colorsilk for years.

I'll start with the positives. Colorsilk really covers white hair, and lasts much longer than the L'Oreal. (I also use a trick of applying the developer on the white hair directly before coloring, which makes the color absorb better and last longer.) When I color, I am able to only do the new roots and leave the lengths alone because the color lasts long enough they rarely need refreshing.In the past, using other branded hair dye, this method has afforded me healthier hair than constant dying root to tip.
Ammonia free was also a selling point.

Onto the negatives - I was used to coloring my dark hair to a chocolate or medium brown that looked straight up brown, without strong orange or any other tones. I find the colors closest to what I would use #41 to be way too orange based, and #47 to be too red/borderline purple based.

The absolute deal breaker for me is that my hair, which was always soft and shiny with or without coloring, is now dry and broken. I've never had hair breakage or damage like this with another dye. I don't even lighten my hair by enough shades to get this kind of damage. It took some time for the damage to fully be apparent, but now I really can't deny it's existence.

I don't blow dry or heat style my hair, I am quite low maintenance. I would expect that over time the ends of hair will start to weaken first. In my case it is the top layer of my hair that is worst off, perhaps because the dye has dried it out even more combined with sun exposure. I am not looking forward to how long it will take to grow out the damaged hair....

I have now read many other reviews that said this dye dried out their hair, and sadly for me this will be the reason I do not repurchase.

I can say that I know someone else who uses it who does not seem to have as dramatic damage as me (she has also used it for less time), so it will vary based on hair type etc.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by aiislyn

I used 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde after picking it up from five bucks at a local drugstore(though I have seen it at Wal-Mart for three and four dollars).

Most of my hair is a dark brown with part of my bangs being a dark golden blonde from a bleach job three months ago. The box didn't show what my hair would look like after using as this is not meant to be used on darker hair.

I applied it to my hair, covered it with a cap, and left it on for 35 minutes. My hair is maybe an inch long in the back and to my chin in the front so there was an adequate amount for my hair.
After rinsing the dye, then the included packet of conditioner out, I applied Garnier's Moroccan Oil Treatment for extra conditioning since my hair did feel a little dry.

My bangs are a much lighter shade of blonde, quite close to what shows on the box, and the rest of my hair is a darker golden blonde with hints of strawberry blonde. There is no brassiness to my color and, though my hair didn't turn out as light as the box(I wasn't expecting to reach that blonde in one go, I assure you), I am very happy with the color and the condition of my hair. Yes, it is a tad dry but a few deep conditioners will fix that plus there was no fallout at all except for maybe two strands when I was brushing out my hair. I'm very happy with this color and I may use it again in a few weeks to get my hair even lighter.