September 18, 2014 | 1387 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 10:12:00 PM More reviews by corifornication

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This stuff is AWFUL. AWFUL. I have NEVER had such a terrible experience with a boxed hair dye before.

Frankly, I don't know what compelled me to buy it. I had nothing but wonderful experiences with the Natural Instincts' Soft Black (or "Natural Black," something to that effect) dye, but the great reviews for this swayed me away, I guess. I tried to find the ColorSilk equivalent and the color came out OK, nothing to spectacular, fairly average reddish-brownish black. My hair felt a little more dry than usual, so I did some heavy deep treatments and snipped off my ends. Then, out of nowhere, like two or three weeks after I initially dyed it, my hair mutinied. It started falling out in chunks, became totally uncontrollable no matter what I did to it, and almost half the length of my hair was dry and dead. This was the only change I had made to my hair in months, and though I did what I could to salvage it, I had to cut a lot of it off. A LOT. I'm still trying to coddle my hair back to health with protein treatments, deep conditioners, and gentle clarifying, but with so much dead length...I don't know what else to do but snip off the rest.

I also want to note that even without using sulfates, the color drained in under a month. My hair is almost entirely back to blonde again. WHAT. THE. HELL.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Brootneexo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't get the negative comments I'm seeing. Many ppl are saying its drying. It IS a pharmacy hair dye, you're getting exactly what you're paying for, honestly. For less than 5 bucks, do u REALLY expect a miracle!? I use this product for root touch ups in shade 03. It's an exact match for my current color in between treatments at the salon. Perhaps the people who use it all over have bad results because they have dry and damaged hair to start with...?? You're also NOT supposed to wash your hair for 3-4 days after you dye it, that's most likely another reason for the damage and color fade complaints I'm reading. I live this product, have no complaints. Never brassy, never dry but awesome results.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/14/2013 7:35:00 AM More reviews by april7xD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I liked this product and saw great results in the beginning until it made my hair very dry and damaged in less than a month :c i started getting split ends. The color didnt last long , it faded out my hair in like less than a month.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by ZebraPrints

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I always purchase revlon's 41 medium brown hair color. My hair turns out the exact same as going to a hair salon or paying more money for a higher brand, 5 stars.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/16/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Foxyerika

I love the color I used dark brown however my hair became very straw like and had to have it all cut :( I guess this is a love hate realtionship

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by nancy301

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this so far! I dyed my hair black and hopefully the color will not fade. This is the problem I have had with most dyes but my hair is shiny and the color is not too dark and fake looking looks natural but black not dark brown. Will repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

This stuff right here? Absolutely positively destroyed my hair. I started using it in shade Brown Black because I wanted a box color to cover my greys and I wanted a permanent color that wouldn't wash out despite its claims of being permanent- I'm looking at you, Feria! But anyway, this color did the trick and I continued to use it for well over a year. And then one day I looked up and simply could not believe what a mess my hair had become. Dry, scraggly, straw-like. That's the thing about this dye, it gave good results initially but was extremely damaging over time. Using this product on a regular basis, the damage will sneak up on you.
I started a routine of protein treatments combined with deep conditioning and regular trims to try to fix my hair. In the end I basically had to wait for the mess to simply grow out altogether.
I have since switched to Clairol Nice n Easy and have been very pleased. My hair improved a million percent after I stopped using ColorSilk.
It's cheap and there's a reason why! Will never ever purchase this product again.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by maggiealisa

I was very surprised by this haircolor. I was scared it was going to leave my hair in horrible condition, considering how cheap it is. I was also worried about the color not turning out how I wanted it to. But, here I sit with the exact color I wanted, and my hair is in the same condition it was in before I colored it! I will definitely buy this again. For reference, I bought the medium ash blonde shade. I also didn't use the conditioner that came with the dye, and I applied a bit of coconut oil to my hair before I put the color on, as that always seems to help with the condition of my hair afterwards.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by Sellee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not the worst of the worst, but definitely not something I'd choose to use again. There was no initial damage done to my hair after using this dye, so the formula isn't bad at all. I find that it never washes out completely however, every time I wash my hair more dye comes out, and the water never runs clear. For the price, I think it's worth it, you just need to be careful about the shade you purchase. I used #11 Soft Black and it advertised on the box to have warm undertones in the color, but all I see is cool undertones no matter what lighting I'm in. It also came out much darker than expected. I'll have to keep my eye out for something better next time!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by amerskia

I used the Medium Auburn shade, and was a little disappointed in the coverage. I think the main problem was that I only bought one box. I had read some other reviews saying that one box was all they needed, even for long hair. That was definitely not my experience, though my hair is not that long (3 inches below my shoulders) or thick. To be fair, the directions recommend two boxes if your hair is past your shoulders. But since other reviews said they only needed one, I was overly optimistic. And of course the recommendation to use two boxes is inside the package, so I only read it after I was all set to dye my hair. But that's pretty standard.

The other issue I had was that the color didn't really cover my roots. I'm not sure if I didn't leave it on my roots long enough, didn't use a dark enough color, or what. Perhaps if I were using this on "virgin hair" it would have been fine.