April 20, 2014 | 1715 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2013 2:16:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

I have been using this product for more than a year now.
I made the switch from L'Oreal Excellence because the dye never lasted long on my white hair (within 1-2 weeks it was like I had never colored it at all) even with use of color protectant products.The other reason I stopped using the L'Oreal is that they changed the proper gloves they used to give to the cheap thin plastic ones, but kept the price inflated (here it costs me NZ$24 per box). The Revlon is cheaper, and I had read raves on here for Colorsilk for years.

I'll start with the positives. Colorsilk really covers white hair, and lasts much longer than the L'Oreal. (I also use a trick of applying the developer on the white hair directly before coloring, which makes the color absorb better and last longer.) When I color, I am able to only do the new roots and leave the lengths alone because the color lasts long enough they rarely need refreshing.In the past, using other branded hair dye, this method has afforded me healthier hair than constant dying root to tip.
Ammonia free was also a selling point.

Onto the negatives - I was used to coloring my dark hair to a chocolate or medium brown that looked straight up brown, without strong orange or any other tones. I find the colors closest to what I would use #41 to be way too orange based, and #47 to be too red/borderline purple based.

The absolute deal breaker for me is that my hair, which was always soft and shiny with or without coloring, is now dry and broken. I've never had hair breakage or damage like this with another dye. I don't even lighten my hair by enough shades to get this kind of damage. It took some time for the damage to fully be apparent, but now I really can't deny it's existence.

I don't blow dry or heat style my hair, I am quite low maintenance. I would expect that over time the ends of hair will start to weaken first. In my case it is the top layer of my hair that is worst off, perhaps because the dye has dried it out even more combined with sun exposure. I am not looking forward to how long it will take to grow out the damaged hair....

I have now read many other reviews that said this dye dried out their hair, and sadly for me this will be the reason I do not repurchase.

I can say that I know someone else who uses it who does not seem to have as dramatic damage as me (she has also used it for less time), so it will vary based on hair type etc.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by aiislyn

I used 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde after picking it up from five bucks at a local drugstore(though I have seen it at Wal-Mart for three and four dollars).

Most of my hair is a dark brown with part of my bangs being a dark golden blonde from a bleach job three months ago. The box didn't show what my hair would look like after using as this is not meant to be used on darker hair.

I applied it to my hair, covered it with a cap, and left it on for 35 minutes. My hair is maybe an inch long in the back and to my chin in the front so there was an adequate amount for my hair.
After rinsing the dye, then the included packet of conditioner out, I applied Garnier's Moroccan Oil Treatment for extra conditioning since my hair did feel a little dry.

My bangs are a much lighter shade of blonde, quite close to what shows on the box, and the rest of my hair is a darker golden blonde with hints of strawberry blonde. There is no brassiness to my color and, though my hair didn't turn out as light as the box(I wasn't expecting to reach that blonde in one go, I assure you), I am very happy with the color and the condition of my hair. Yes, it is a tad dry but a few deep conditioners will fix that plus there was no fallout at all except for maybe two strands when I was brushing out my hair. I'm very happy with this color and I may use it again in a few weeks to get my hair even lighter.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by mlosterhout

I dye my hair almost always at home and by myself. I've tried a variety of dyes but when my drugstore was out of what I usually use I decided to look up reviews on what else is good. Thus I came to revlon colorsilk. After reading all the good reviews about it and noticing its cheap price, I couldn't pass it up! Unfortunately I was extremely disappointed with the results of the brown/black color. My ends turned out black while my light brown roots became darker, but were not covered up AT ALL. My roots are still showing, it just changed my hair into two different darker colors than before. Definitely won't buy this again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by alicia2kate

I recently tried both the Luminista Red and Light Red hair dye. I have shoulder-length dark brown hair that's been dyed every 7-9 weeks to auburn/light or dark brown for the past few years. (The Colorsilk Auburn and Light Auburn are my favorite.)
The Red came out glowingly purple for about a day, then mellowed out to a medium red glow. The Light Red had more "red-orange" glow that lasted about a week. My scalp was red until the first wash a few days later. The reds appear to be much more high-maintenance and continues to drip pink water for about 4-6 washes. I try to limit washes to every 2-3 days the first two weeks after the new color goes in. After about 10-14 days, the reds became my usual "auburn" tone.
Since the red doesn't last very long on my dark hair, I may skip the Luminista line next time and continue hunting for the regular Auburn/Light Auburn dyes.

Overall, I like the kit - very easy to use. It doesn't drip and doesn't smell too terribly. The price is right -- generally under $3.50.
I have a tendency to leave the dye in for much longer than the instructions say to because my hair's darker and not bleached. For the reds, I believe I left it on for about 45 minutes.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by mochakitty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am pleasantly surprised. I removed a dark red brown with ion color corrector, then immediately colored with this product in color 56, true auburn.

I did add a few drops of no grey but other than that I didn't mess with the formula. I was worried I would end up with a pinky auburn, but it is that perfect auburn which is not quite orange, not quite brown not quite red or gold. It's just auburn. I'm psyched! Hair texture is good and not fried! I left the dish on a while, I guess that smoothed down the cuticle. No hot roots, a miracle.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by jejushhh

I was light coppery-golden blonde for over a year and I was trying so hard to find a hair color that will neutralize the coppery shine. I bought this in shade 50 (light ash brown, I think) and it turned out slightly darker than the shade on the packaging, but I am very satisfied. I tried some other ammonia-free colors and they just weren't strong enough. I held it for about 25 min and I can say it has great coverage and my hair isn't dried out at all!

You get everything you need inside the box, but I would recommend using a brush, too. It helps to spread out the mixture evenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by AndreaaaMariee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use this brand almost every time I dye my hair, and when I don't, it's cause their sold out in the color that I want. It lasts long with out fading, doesn't stink to bad, the color comes out even, and it leaves my hair feeling soft and silky. There's also a lot of dye in just one box. I usually need 2 boxes when I dye my hair cause my hair is so long and thick, but I only need one with this. So it saves me money. It's really cheap too. I get it at walmart for $4 but it goes on sale a lot for $3.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2012 7:08:00 PM More reviews by deelee1989

Colorsilk simply does not possess the "permanent" quality. At least not for me. I used two bottles of Colorsilk just to ensure that the color will stay. But after only two weeks the color substantially faded away. When washing the dye away, there was so much color that washed out and it was a never ending dripping of hair dye through the drain. It took me about 20 minutes or more just to wash enough of the color out so it doesn't stain the towel. It has a very drying formula and the color results are rather flat and dull. I would recommend this for someone who doesn't mind a drying formula and need a color lift for a couple weeks. The deep conditioner is decent and a must need after dyeing your hair if your hair tends to be dry. The results are definitely what you get at such an inexpensive price point.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by allicat818

Ok... So... Well.... I really can not explain how upset I am with this hair dye. I've ALWAYS done my hair myself and 9/10 it turns out great and the remainder it's tolerable and/or fixable. I have really short hair; growing out a pixie cut, and before I dyed it it was a very light red with a good two inches of roots because I am returning to my natural color. I spent a long time online looking for a good solid brand to buy the box dye to help me do so an I heard Colorsilk would be perfect and the shade Medium Golden Brown was practically congruent to my natural color. WRONG! I dyed it last night and it was so dark, so so soooo dark. And it was very one dimensional, every highlight and lowlight I've had just became one ugly shade of very dark brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was 1 for cheap price and 1 for leaving my hair very soft and shiny. Now...
I let it dry but all I noticed was that overall it had a very ugly dark auburn effect, I thought it might be because my hair had been red before but it was nothing like that, even my roots had the red tinge. UGH! I put some melted coconut oil in it (2 tbsp worth) and wrapped it in saran wrap and went to bed. Woke up barely any difference, my hair was healthy as virgin hair but still an ugly dark color. So of course I showered, shampooed, conditioned, and once again barely any difference.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by iloveeeyou23

Please make sure your hair is in fair condition before using any hair dye! This product will make your hair feel a bit dry, but the conditioner restores the oils in your hair :) My first experience w/ this brand was in April of 2012. I used Ultra Light Natural Blonde #04 on my virgin black hair to give some golden brownish highlights.(I didn't want to use bleach) The color came out nice, and the hair dye did not smell too strong. It's been more than 6 months now, and the color still shows! (The roots grew out, of course) I guess this is because I've been using the sulfate free shampoo from Loreal. But I am considering buying another box to dye my whole hair this time. The price value is absolutely cheap- $3 at my local Target! You can see the results on my youtube channel @anotherpunker