Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

3.5

Lauroyl Lysine, Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Soil Minerals, Silica, Mica, Calcium Silicate (+/-): Zinc Oxide (CI77947), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

on 4/13/2012 10:57:00 PM

In my search for my HG mineral makeup I had heard alot about this foundation and thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately I really didn't care for this. I thought the brushes were ok and this was a pretty good color match for me, at first, but after about an hour or so it oxidizes and changes colors and becomes really orange. Not pretty. I didn't think this had good staying power and I always had to do a few touch ups throughout the day. I prefer a more dewey finish but I thought that this foundation had way too much mica in it for my tastes and it was too glittery. It also settles into fine lines and it did not help to control oil either. I noticed that shortly after applying this makeup my skin would itch and then I started breaking out from it (which is probably due to the Bismuth Oxychloride) That's when I decided to do my homework on mineral makeups and the ingredients used in them. In my opinion the quality of this makeup is no better than any common drug store brand. Don't believe the hype with this one. This makeup is nothing more than cheap pore clogging ingredients and clever marketing. I'm not impressed with this at all and I would not purchase this again.

Absolutely awful product, doesn't stay on very long, shades are too dark for my pale skin, gives me the look of foundation without ANY coverage, can't even cover a bit of redness or tired eyes. after a few hours it turns my face into a giant glitterball. I can guess the product works well on people that don't need coverage, but those that do this is not a good 'foundation'. The brush that comes in the starter kit is also useless & very itchy on the face.

on 4/4/2012 12:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Utter garbage. Little coverage or longevity with or without primer (it makes no difference), cakey around the nose no matter what you do or how little you use or how much you blend, breaks me out, messy packaging (with or without the click and lock). I don't understand why BE doesn't do a pressed powder although they probably will now that they have pressed products. Mineral Veil is amazing but the foundation is just awful for me. There's a reason why Sephora employees call this Devil Dust lol

on 4/4/2012 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is my first posting on MUA, and I hate to start off negative but I need to warn ANYONE out there who likes to get their makeup done in under 30 minutes to STAY AWAY! I bought this foundation in fairly light, even tho I'm more suited to a light shade. It was my fault tho so no big deal, I got home and watched a video on YouTube from the BE channel describing how to put it on. I took the full flawless face brush and dumped, no sprinkles a quarter size amount of wht looked like sand onto the lid, did the swirl tap buff crap, and there was literally NO COVERAGE. I have pretty good skin to begin with, I just hae hereditary under eye circles and a few pimples on my forehead. This powder did NOTHING to conceal my pimples or any of my blemishes when I brushed it on, and when I tried using a little more the powder fell off the brush when I applied it to my face and got all over my black shirt -.- ididnt want to give up on it yet so I used a concealer brus to pat it on my under eye circles, it actually looked good so I did that for a day, and then I saw after just 4 hours at school it had oxidized so u could see the line where I put the powder and where it ended (hard to explain, basically it looked like crap). I also got some in my eye and when I one day tried using it all over my face at school, I leaned against my Hand and some of it rubbed off! The last straw was really when, I my now powder covered bathroom, the bottom of the jar BROKE OFF and like half my powder spilled on the floor. So now I have the tiniest amount of crap powder left, a big skin toned streaky stain o my white tiles and I'm $26 poorer on utter garbage. Please don't buy it, go for the NYX twin cake or even elf studio powder, they are at least useful

on 4/3/2012 9:05:00 PM

I love it. Just finishing up my first pot which I used everyday for I'd say 3 months now and I think its amazing! Very nice colour, great coverage. I use a brush from ELF the one with the flat top and long handle (think it might be the studio brush), and it works perfectly, I always blot after application with a tissue just to take off any excess powder. Underneath I always use Studio Finish concealer from MAC and both products work v well together. Warmth is a lovely bronzer too but you only need a TINY amount.
I'm around an NW20-25 for reference. Lasts a good 8hrs + for me.No breakouts.

on 3/31/2012 6:50:00 AM

After several days of using this product my skin developed a horrible rash. I also had skin bumps and breakouts. The ad for this product was so impressive so I purchased it. Bad decision! I donated the product to my aunt including the brushes that came with it. Apparently so many others had a reaction due the corn starch content in it. This was also an expensive mistake for me. I wanted a faster way to apply foundation just by brushing powder without using the conventional way of using liquid foundation but due to my skin reaction i ll never buy this again. I m happy to go back the conventional way. I had to see the doctor for my skin`s reaction. Terrible!

on 3/30/2012 6:05:00 PM

So, where to begin with this review.... Well, I've used Bare Minerals before (several years ago in my mid twenties) and loved it then, but eventually found myself lured by the promise of a slew of tinted moisturizers. I reviewed this product in Medium Beige about six years ago and have no idea what I was doing using that shade, unless I was really tan, which I rarely was since I'm from San Francisco, but who knows. Anyway! I've been having some breakouts lately and have been really annoyed with my skin for the past few months (thanks, hormonal acne!). I have a coworker who has lovely skin, and I complimented her on it a few weeks ago and she said, nope, it's not so lovely, it's just that she uses Bare Minerals. I pretty much had written off mineral makeup altogether and hadn't even considered going back to it until talking to her. It truly doesn't look like she's wearing anything. She just has this lovely, creamy, bare looking skin. So, I went to Sephora and bought a starter kit after being matched to Fairly Light, which literally disappears into my skin. Honestly, this product is pretty much amazing. My skin looks so creamy and healthy and actually, I haven't had any breakouts in weeks (just healing now from post acne red marks). That may have something to do with having a better skincare regimen in place, but I can definitely say Bare Minerals hasn't contributed to any breakouts. Also, it really feels like I'm not wearing anything. I don't even use a separate concealer anymore--just use two light layers with the brushes in the starter kit, and then a concealer brush with a little extra product for the areas that need a little more attention, and I'm good to go (followed by Mineral Veil). Also, I teach a fitness class several times a week and work out fairly frequently and after sweating a lot, I still look pretty decent, which is not how I normally look (trust me--usually my tinted moisturizer has sweated off and I'm an unpolished mess). All in all, if you've deviated from Bare Minerals, it's worth giving it a second try. I'm hooked!

on 3/28/2012 2:41:00 PM

I think I love this stuff!
I have been using this for around a week now, I have the original in fairly light. I first went to Debenhams and had an SA apply this for me, she used Prime time primer, BM Fairly Light, Light Bisque, all over warmth and mineral veil. Now I have to say, when it first went on I was not impressed, I couldn't see any difference at all, I have fairly oily skin, with red patches, huge pores, rosacea and some pimple at the moment too, oh and nasty bags under the eyes, I could still see all my pimples, my pores, the bags and my skin was still shiny! granted my rosacea appeared a tad lighter but for £50 for a starter set (which doesn't include concealer) I just though No Thanks!
Now, I didn't say anything at the time but the SA did mention in passing that most people do expect to see instant results and are disappointed, as this stuff has to settle and react with your skin's natural oils before you will see anything.
Low and behold, when I got home my skin was flawless! No redness, no bags, no rosacea, amazing. The best part was I didn't look "powdery" or overdone and it didn't feel heavy or oily on my face like my liquid foundation. Of course I ordered some straight away and have been using it ever since, every day at work. I have noticed however that I get oily by about lunchtime and that no amount of touching up with mineral veil de-shines me completely, also it doesn't last all day, I start to get red patches and pimples show through during the day and these pots aren't exactly ideal for carrying around and doing touch ups with. So I've taken points off for that, also the fact that the packaging is a pain, it's messy (even though I have the new stuff, with the sifters) some powder seems to get out through the "locked" sifters anyway, especially with warmth and mineral veil.
I also think my skin is a bit irritated by the mica in this, I'm pretty sure it isn't the bismuth as my skin doesn't itch or massively break out, although when I first put this on my skin does feel a bit tickly, rather than itchy, but I think that's down to the fact it's a powder. Anyway I love this product so much, despite it's few short comings, that I've just ordered the Matte version to see if that calms my skin. I would highly reccomend this, I would also advise going to an outlet and seeing an SA and getting her to colour match you and teach you how to apply it, my SA was very nice and she matched me to this shade, which I must say is actually PERFECT for my pale skin. Also the SA's wear all of the products so they are best placed to reccomend stuff and you can see it in action on them as well. Love this product. I'll let you know if the matte stuff is any better, oh and I've ordered the blemish treatment to help calm the bumps left by the mica in this (mica is the partical that "reflects" light and makes this shiny/sparkly, it's very bad for blocking pores as it is quite coarse).

Edit: Matte was better- caused no breakouts on me, however after a months continued use I found that this causes obvious dry patches around my nose, lips and under the eyes (which just serves to highlight my dark spots) I have now stopped using this and have gone back to liquid foundation, the search continues...

on 3/28/2012 3:14:00 AM

The product looked GREAT on my face. The problem was that I was allergic to one of the ingredients. I had never had any reaction to a product the way I had to this one! WOW! It hurt to have it on!
I tried this product on several occasions, and still, what a horrible itch!
My girlfriends who always poo-poo my suggestions (always for less expensive products) don't believe me. Maybe I am an alien, but WOW, this stuff just irritated the hell out of my skin! I donated all of my Bare Minerals to a local charity. I sure hope that the women there don't have the same reaction! I truly feel guilty!

on 3/27/2012 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great Product! works great on my oily/combination skin.