October 21, 2014 | 1018 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 6:50:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

After several days of using this product my skin developed a horrible rash. I also had skin bumps and breakouts. The ad for this product was so impressive so I purchased it. Bad decision! I donated the product to my aunt including the brushes that came with it. Apparently so many others had a reaction due the corn starch content in it. This was also an expensive mistake for me. I wanted a faster way to apply foundation just by brushing powder without using the conventional way of using liquid foundation but due to my skin reaction i ll never buy this again. I m happy to go back the conventional way. I had to see the doctor for my skin`s reaction. Terrible!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 6:05:00 PM More reviews by yovivbabe

So, where to begin with this review.... Well, I've used Bare Minerals before (several years ago in my mid twenties) and loved it then, but eventually found myself lured by the promise of a slew of tinted moisturizers. I reviewed this product in Medium Beige about six years ago and have no idea what I was doing using that shade, unless I was really tan, which I rarely was since I'm from San Francisco, but who knows. Anyway! I've been having some breakouts lately and have been really annoyed with my skin for the past few months (thanks, hormonal acne!). I have a coworker who has lovely skin, and I complimented her on it a few weeks ago and she said, nope, it's not so lovely, it's just that she uses Bare Minerals. I pretty much had written off mineral makeup altogether and hadn't even considered going back to it until talking to her. It truly doesn't look like she's wearing anything. She just has this lovely, creamy, bare looking skin. So, I went to Sephora and bought a starter kit after being matched to Fairly Light, which literally disappears into my skin. Honestly, this product is pretty much amazing. My skin looks so creamy and healthy and actually, I haven't had any breakouts in weeks (just healing now from post acne red marks). That may have something to do with having a better skincare regimen in place, but I can definitely say Bare Minerals hasn't contributed to any breakouts. Also, it really feels like I'm not wearing anything. I don't even use a separate concealer anymore--just use two light layers with the brushes in the starter kit, and then a concealer brush with a little extra product for the areas that need a little more attention, and I'm good to go (followed by Mineral Veil). Also, I teach a fitness class several times a week and work out fairly frequently and after sweating a lot, I still look pretty decent, which is not how I normally look (trust me--usually my tinted moisturizer has sweated off and I'm an unpolished mess). All in all, if you've deviated from Bare Minerals, it's worth giving it a second try. I'm hooked!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Varlot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think I love this stuff!
I have been using this for around a week now, I have the original in fairly light. I first went to Debenhams and had an SA apply this for me, she used Prime time primer, BM Fairly Light, Light Bisque, all over warmth and mineral veil. Now I have to say, when it first went on I was not impressed, I couldn't see any difference at all, I have fairly oily skin, with red patches, huge pores, rosacea and some pimple at the moment too, oh and nasty bags under the eyes, I could still see all my pimples, my pores, the bags and my skin was still shiny! granted my rosacea appeared a tad lighter but for £50 for a starter set (which doesn't include concealer) I just though No Thanks!
Now, I didn't say anything at the time but the SA did mention in passing that most people do expect to see instant results and are disappointed, as this stuff has to settle and react with your skin's natural oils before you will see anything.
Low and behold, when I got home my skin was flawless! No redness, no bags, no rosacea, amazing. The best part was I didn't look "powdery" or overdone and it didn't feel heavy or oily on my face like my liquid foundation. Of course I ordered some straight away and have been using it ever since, every day at work. I have noticed however that I get oily by about lunchtime and that no amount of touching up with mineral veil de-shines me completely, also it doesn't last all day, I start to get red patches and pimples show through during the day and these pots aren't exactly ideal for carrying around and doing touch ups with. So I've taken points off for that, also the fact that the packaging is a pain, it's messy (even though I have the new stuff, with the sifters) some powder seems to get out through the "locked" sifters anyway, especially with warmth and mineral veil.
I also think my skin is a bit irritated by the mica in this, I'm pretty sure it isn't the bismuth as my skin doesn't itch or massively break out, although when I first put this on my skin does feel a bit tickly, rather than itchy, but I think that's down to the fact it's a powder. Anyway I love this product so much, despite it's few short comings, that I've just ordered the Matte version to see if that calms my skin. I would highly reccomend this, I would also advise going to an outlet and seeing an SA and getting her to colour match you and teach you how to apply it, my SA was very nice and she matched me to this shade, which I must say is actually PERFECT for my pale skin. Also the SA's wear all of the products so they are best placed to reccomend stuff and you can see it in action on them as well. Love this product. I'll let you know if the matte stuff is any better, oh and I've ordered the blemish treatment to help calm the bumps left by the mica in this (mica is the partical that "reflects" light and makes this shiny/sparkly, it's very bad for blocking pores as it is quite coarse).

Edit: Matte was better- caused no breakouts on me, however after a months continued use I found that this causes obvious dry patches around my nose, lips and under the eyes (which just serves to highlight my dark spots) I have now stopped using this and have gone back to liquid foundation, the search continues...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The product looked GREAT on my face. The problem was that I was allergic to one of the ingredients. I had never had any reaction to a product the way I had to this one! WOW! It hurt to have it on!
I tried this product on several occasions, and still, what a horrible itch!
My girlfriends who always poo-poo my suggestions (always for less expensive products) don't believe me. Maybe I am an alien, but WOW, this stuff just irritated the hell out of my skin! I donated all of my Bare Minerals to a local charity. I sure hope that the women there don't have the same reaction! I truly feel guilty!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Luscious1104

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great Product! works great on my oily/combination skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by yorkiemomma

Horrible brand, does not have enough coverage and makes my skin feel dry and itchy. Too expensive as well. Worst part? They are owned by a parent company that does animal testing:(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Casey088

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received this mineral foundation free off a competition (hense the 5 lippy rating for price!) It is absolutely amazing, it is the perfect colour for my fair skin and it really evens out my skin tone. I use it coupled with a handy buki brush I also got. I don't think I could ever go back to using liquid foundation, it's just too oily for my skin. I have almost run out of my free sample, so I'll definitely be buying the larger version!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by BlueLaTifa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this mineral foundation for many years. I think it gives pretty good coverage, and lasts all day. I use Mineral Veil over it. Somtimes I do feel itchy, I guess it is because it contain bismuth, which can cause skin reactions. A good foundation, but very expensive.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like the coverage, finish, color, and application of this product. It leaves a natural glow and is fun to apply since you just buff with a dense brush, which I find less tedious than applying and blending liquid foundation.

But this stuff breaks me out like crazy. I've used Colorstay for years, and my skin is normally clear. After just a few days of BE, my skin had blemishes and clogged pores everywhere, and now I have to calm it down.

I'm back to using Colorstay, and I'll try using the BE as a light finishing powder. Maybe using less BE and having a foundation between my skin and the BE will work out.

*Edit: This didn't work as a finishing powder, either. My skin broke out badly even when I used this on top of liquid foundation. Too bad, because I like the finish. Coty Airspun and Revlon Skinlights powder (an older luminizer) have been working fine, so I'm sure the BE was the problem.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by yy302

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I read comments that many people rave about this product and I decided to give it a try. This foundation is the first mineral foundation I have ever used, however, it tend to be chalky and made my dry patches more obvious on my combination skin. It just float on my skin and weren't absorbed. Few hours later, my skin looks oily again. I wouldn't recommend this product although it has beautiful glow when apply.