April 25, 2014 | 1215 users online

Powder - NYX - Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Wickedxchick

Im nc37 and bought warm beige. This powder has very little coverage so it was good as a setting powder. I have yellow undertones so its hard to find a good setting powder that wont affect the look of my foundation. This and the mac nc37 together did not alter the look . Wanted to keep this but it TINGLES IT BURNS i feel like my face is sweating; by itself or with foundation cannot make it work under these conditions. I can say I have very normal skin not many if any products affect my skin (breakouts, dryness,flakes ect) but this just didnot sit well. This felt worst than the inglot foundation i felt the tingle but it didnt bother me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by HolyyMoleyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was a really disappointing powder. I have extremely pale skin and when I saw this i thought for sure it would be a pretty close match. And it was! For a few minutes.This powder actually oxodized on my skin to a tan color. It comes out darker than it looks in the package. I've had this for a while now and i've noticed its changed color in the compact, too. The coverage is very minimal, I wouldn't call it a powder foundation, more of a finishing powder. It gives no more of a matte finish than any other powder, honestly. I guess it'd be ok if you're very tan but it definitely didn't work for me. If you want a good mattifying powder, try the Rimmel Stay Matte! Cheap and effective.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm so disappointed. I gave this a try as an alternative to EDM. Big mistake. The coverage is not buildable. It's sheer - at best. I tried buffing it in with a flat top brush, still sheer. Tried using the sponge applicator, still sheer. Tried it wet, still sheer. SIGH. It's definitely NOT good as a foundation but it's decent as a pressed powder, so that's what I use it for. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for medium-full coverage that is buildable. Back to EDM - my HG.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by ajewelofgod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this powder foundation. I have it in SMP11 Sienna which is slightly golden but when blended with a powder brush and my Benefit Get Even blotting powder is a perfect shade. I think that its matte when first applied but 4 to 6 hrs later becomes dewy then oily. Im oily so that expected after 6 hrs. I apply moisturizer let it sink in then conceal dark circles and acne scarring using NYX Full Coverage concealer in Glow and Mac Studio Fix concealer blended (not sure what color). And then I use a D'Natures face brush with light hand with the SMBNF powder foundation and BGE in 02. Perfect match. This can be built up to full coverage however I dont need to, in my opinion. Very cheap also Dolly Pink Lipliner pairs well with it. Loving NYX products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 2:11:00 PM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am very happy with this powder. I use it over my liquid foundation for extra coverage. It looks beautiful in pics!! Gorgeous overall skintone. When I first used it I did notice alot of oiliness after about 2 hours. Definitely got my moneys worth of oil blotting sheets at first! I switched primers and now use shine killer by nyx as well and it helps. Also I find this powder loves Kat Von D's foundation. Any time I wear them together I notice my skin just looks really good. Overall, its not necessarily matte but it definitely isn't flat and that's good enough for me! I've already re purchased because I use it every day now.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by LumpyDumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A bit of a misnomer here... this powder is lovely, but i would describe the finish as 'silky' or even 'glowing'... not AT ALL matte. As the powder wears, it comes to look rather heavy... i was disappointed...

My skin is somewhere between normal and dry, so it surprises me that a matte finish wasn't achieved!

Also, rather oddly: this powder hit pan faster than anything i've used before! Did i use more in lieu of the promised matte finish? Did they under-fill the pan? Is this powder simply weak in both quality AND quantity?

But it certainly isn't all bad: i couldn't perceive any scent, which is a plus in my book! The compact remained secure, if slightly less painted, in my purse for the duration of its life.
And the biggest reason for my rating leniency: this is a drugstore powder that was pale enough for me!!! The shade (01 Ivory) was light enough to adequately match my shockingly pallid skin! Ooh hoo!

All in all... i find this powder adequate. As i wait for my Meow foundation to arrive, i will continue to scrape the sides of the pan.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by ickythump

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The lady told me this would be great for my oily skin and "awesome for covering acne" (I was having a breakout) and she recommend it. Said it wouldn't be cakey.

Ha.

I find it to be really cakey and after a day of work I look like an oil painting. I would not recommend this to anyone.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2013 1:01:00 AM More reviews by brenduhhh

I used this powder either over my concealer or over my foundation. It gave me a nice glow but did not make me matte at all, which I wanted because I have oily skin. The packaging is pretty bulky and you don't get as much product as you think you would. Overall, this product did not work for me and would work better on combination to dry skin (but do keep in mind powders do accentuate dry patches).

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2012 3:51:00 AM More reviews by clp53

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Doesn't work for someone with oily skin. Sits on my face too cake-y. The powder inside Shattered day one... Annoying packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by Everythingbeautynyc

I found NYX at my local Rickys store, apparently they are carrying nyx all the sudden at New York City Rickys beauty supply stores. I was pretty happy to see the brand face to face and to see the display, where you can actually see everything before you buy, however the lighting in the store is so bright sometimes colors or any of that are decieving, I bought this powder, and the hd foundation, which everyone sais is a dupe for MUFE HD foundation, I tested all the shades on my hand of this powder, and this color golden beige number 5 appeared to be the color that matched best even though i am the fairest of them all, im so white like a sheet of paper, however, i do not usually purchase powder that is porcelain light that most people would who are my complexion it looks too white to buy the lightest shade, I look ghostly in the lightest shade of any powder and i have pink undertones, so i go mostly towards a yellow based slightly darker then my skintone color, so I figured because of the placement this #5 was the second lightest color, its not however, what i did was i tested it at home on my face with the powder puff and it looked really nice, and i swatched my photoready powder in light medium, and the nyx powder foundation and they were very close a match, and the Revlon photoready powder has been my favorite go to powder, whih i usually use without any foundation cause i find thats enough coverage, now the nyx was maybe more thicker the the photoready powder so more coverage, and i liked the way it looked it looked really nice and you couldnt tell it was much darker on my skin, it made my skin look very flawless, perfect skin, I figured i would also look in daylight as well, so i swatched in daylight and i found that actually the photoready powder in light medium looked darker then this one, golden beige color by nyx #5, i know i thought #4 was the lightest, because in the store it looked like the lightest shade, however they didn't place things accurately in order, but this did work for me and i am happy with it, and i did get it for 10$ and i really like it, i did get the lightest foundation, so having a slightly darker powder sort of evens that out anyway, however i usually use powders as foundation to begin with, and this one looked very nice and i was happy to see its talc free and also i believe paraben free, i thought i saw that on the label. And it has 7.1 grams of product so does the photo-ready, the consistency has some silky finish to it, which some people would think is shiney however its a natural matte finish and it just has a natural skin look, which is similar to the photoready, I would say this is a great product and a great price as well. And I really like it, i keep thinking however that i need to exchange it for perhaps something a little loser to my skin tone but it looked good on the skin, and the concealers i purchased in every corrective color, and the lightest shade and second to lightest shade and wow are those great the yellow and the lightest shade for the under eye circles, omg that looked beautiful underneath this powder. I was really impressed. I see some negative reviews about this powder and i was kind of shocked because it looked perfect on my face, much better then or equal to the mac msfs cause i have two of those in very light shades and those are like very matte and very light, and very rough, this is a nice soft velvety texture this powder by nyx. And it gives the skin a nice finish like the mac msfs are supposed to do. The matte Mac msfs are extremely rough and drying and just not good at all, and I think this nyx powder is as good as any high end brand or drugstore brand of powders, reminds me of when i used to use cliniques powders i was very loyal to their powders they had a double foundation powder, and i used to get a nude shade, however those used to have pink undertones, and that would make me look more pink and i didnt like that. This one is close to perfect. I do want to go back to the store again and check out the powders just in case there's a better match but im as pale as pale could get, i think this is also real blend-able, so thats why it matches my skin tone so well, it would be kind of hard to go wrong with this. My tip for the fairest ladies out there, is if your also pink undertones, you should get a shade darker then the lightest, this one is light medium, and my favorite the photo-ready is also light medium, so thats interesting and it doesn't appear like im wearing a really darker color or anything. I did a swatch test this morning and it seemed to blend in with my skin and just be slightly darker. Well its not like it was 40$ or something unreasonable. However ive probably spent this week 100$ on nyx products since they came to rickys. here in NYC, i do have some things to return however but those are lip products