September 1, 2014 | 1059 users online

Powder - NYX - Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have two colors in this, sienna as a setting powder and chestnut as a bronzer
I love the color sienna, it's a little darker than my skin tone but my foundation is too light so it helps it become my skin color...a little darker but not orangey, its this really pretty color that reminds me of desert sand, kind of yellow ish but brown the only problem is that it doesn't control oil at ALL...stupid false advertising but that's not why I bought it anyways

The staying power is okay, it's still there on my glistening oily skin at 3 30 pm and I apply makeup at 7 30 ish in the morning, and I don't touch up at all cuz there's not enough time in between classes or during the lunch hour.
So though it doesn't control oil, it does stay put

The bronzer tends to slide a bit and that's annoying but it's not too big of a deal. :)

In terms of coverage it has coverage if you buy a color a shade or two darker but if you don't like that..and I'm guessing most people don't (everybody's so picky ;) ) your gonna need some concealer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

While I wasn't looking for a foundation powder when I bought this product, I bought it because I liked it's texture - it appears to be heavy if you swipe the cake with a finger or sponge, but it actually applies quite lightly if used only as a setting powder or touch-up powder. It's pretty sheer in that sense, so it can be layered.

I have dry skin this powder doesn't feel heavy or highlight my dry patches. True to it's name, the finish isn't flat or terribly matte. I find it's perfect anywhere on my face but under the eyes. Applied under the eyes, it instantly sets any concealer I've applied that's crept into my fine lines and can create a caked-on look.

Only once did I try it with a wet sponge and it was absolutely useless as a foundation. It offers zero coverage (I bought the lightest shade, which is Ivory) and I couldn't even see where I'd applied it.

I wouldn't buy this product again, though, because the packaging is bulky and a bit ugly what with it's plain black shell and bold white lettering. Also, while it is sheer it doesn't really have too much else to offer and is way too sheer to be worn alone or over a BB or tinted moisturizer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

Horrible. When you wear it by itself, it's very sheer, provides almost no coverage, makes your face look powdery, and doesn't last. If you use this as a powder over foundation, you get a cakey look. Don't recommend at all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I got this after seeing its repeated in Emily Noel's yt videos. Luckily ULTA always has testers for their NYX foundations so I was quickly able to spot Soft Beige as being the closest to my yellow NC25 skin. I wear MAC MSF in Medium Plus for added warmth so I was looking for a similar effect, not exact shade match to wear over concealer to make everything more even & flawless. Coverage is quite good, medium and leaves a dewy finish, I love. I dont know if NYX has recently changed its formula or not because I was quite hesitant with this product because of the oxidizing issue many on MUA warned. I wore it for many days in a row & checked in various lights throughout the days and had no issues of the color darkening/orangeing out. However I did notice the wear wasn't superior quality. I often got blotchy (even after using Skindinavia setting spray on top) and I have quite dry skin. I almost always needed to touch up and made the mistake of not having a kabuki on hand and got instantly scared. It was so much darker/orange/muddy looking. I became so conscious of my technique on initial application and just accepted the sloppy blotch face at the end of the day, until I realized its not even worth the effort. On to the next powder search.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by lovexoxo

For me, this product works great! The coverage is amazing and it doesn't feel heavy. I had even left it on during a workout (oopsie) and it was still going strong. The only con is that if your face gets dry it looks a little flaky but nothing some moisturizer can't fix!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2013 6:24:00 PM More reviews by callieinterrupted

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

PROS:
- Sets well
- Moderate coverage

CONS:
- Cakes on VERY easily
- Separates after a couple hours
- Makes skin itchy

This foundation is just average.. Nothing special. If you want a good cheap powder get Loreal.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by evapop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This powder was featured on beautybroadcast, and was described as a foundation that could also be used as a setting powder. What led me to buy it was the description of the "glow" it gave your skin as a setting powder.

If by glow, you mean a super heavy, grease slicked look, then yes, it delivered. Even with a primer and good tinted moisturizer (Neutrogena 3-1), the product also oxydized after a few moments. The cherry on top was that my my concealer looked super cakey too, it was just awful. I love NYX - great glosses, E/S, and concealers - but this is terrible.

I am giving it 2 stars because maybe this would work well on dry or very mature skin. Also, I did not use it damp for coverage, I used it dry for extra coverage and to set.

PROS:
- For me, none, but there could be for ladies with mature or dry skin

CONS:
- Heavy (I used a light hand and a super fluffy kabuki brush over a light tinted moisturizer AND I had allowed time for the tinted moisturizer to dry)
- Caked my concealer
- Made my skin look oily not glowy
- Highlighted my pores vs. diffused them away
- Packaging is terrible (I almost broke a short, healthy nature nail to get get to the sponge - had to resort to turning compact upside down)
- Limited color selection
- Oxydized quickly - within minutes

For me, I would say Wet N Wild's Reserve Your Cabana created a better glow when applied all over on my NW20 skin than this. Plus it is MUCH cheaper and more versatile.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/5/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Wickedxchick

Im nc37 and bought warm beige. This powder has very little coverage so it was good as a setting powder. I have yellow undertones so its hard to find a good setting powder that wont affect the look of my foundation. This and the mac nc37 together did not alter the look . Wanted to keep this but it TINGLES IT BURNS i feel like my face is sweating; by itself or with foundation cannot make it work under these conditions. I can say I have very normal skin not many if any products affect my skin (breakouts, dryness,flakes ect) but this just didnot sit well. This felt worst than the inglot foundation i felt the tingle but it didnt bother me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by HolyyMoleyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was a really disappointing powder. I have extremely pale skin and when I saw this i thought for sure it would be a pretty close match. And it was! For a few minutes.This powder actually oxodized on my skin to a tan color. It comes out darker than it looks in the package. I've had this for a while now and i've noticed its changed color in the compact, too. The coverage is very minimal, I wouldn't call it a powder foundation, more of a finishing powder. It gives no more of a matte finish than any other powder, honestly. I guess it'd be ok if you're very tan but it definitely didn't work for me. If you want a good mattifying powder, try the Rimmel Stay Matte! Cheap and effective.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm so disappointed. I gave this a try as an alternative to EDM. Big mistake. The coverage is not buildable. It's sheer - at best. I tried buffing it in with a flat top brush, still sheer. Tried using the sponge applicator, still sheer. Tried it wet, still sheer. SIGH. It's definitely NOT good as a foundation but it's decent as a pressed powder, so that's what I use it for. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for medium-full coverage that is buildable. Back to EDM - my HG.