Revlon Photoready 3D Volume

3.6

on 12/22/2013 8:46:00 PM

I would buy this again, this mascara was great for my stubby eyelashes.

on 12/20/2013 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is by far the best mascara I've ever tried and I've used multiple clinique, lancome, maybelline and l'oreal. Here in Australia its usually $23.95 but at the moment its $16.76 at target or 'tarjey' as Gok Wan says. My lashes are ridiculously short and moderately thick and this mascara is really good at lengthening and separating as well as holding a curl. I was also very impressed by how water resistant it is. I've been using this mascara almost every day for about 6 months and its only starting to get dry and flakey but I think I'll just add some paw paw ointment to it and continue use.

on 12/19/2013 8:54:00 AM

UPDATE (3/4/14) : This mascara lasted about 3 months before it became very flakey, so overall considering the price and amount you get, it isn't worth the money as you don't get to use much of the product. I will wash and keep the good wand's though.

Revlon photoready 3D Volume 001 blackest black &003 blackened brown

I think this is a well thought out formula and brush, so warning my review might seem quite detailed!

I recommended this mascara for people who want volume that is very quick to build without clumping, who want the option to have brown mascara (sometimes hard to find), and who want to capture the inner and outer corners of the lashes.

Pros:
1. Blackest black is as black as any other mascara claiming to be the darkest. Blackened brown is a dark brown that is neither warm nor cool and would look more natural if it was a bit warmer and lighter in colour, but it's still a really good, less dramatic mascara for day time against my ghostly pale skin.
2. The brush will please a lot of people I'm sure, as it is not too thin (so that people with long lashes won't spend forever building volume) and not too fat (so that heavy lids won't easily get mascara all over them.
3. No variations of spike distribution around the length of the brush means you don't have to use it in a specific way for good results.
4. The brush tapers off to a slightly smaller, rounded end with slightly longer spikes splayed out from it, which really helps to access outer and inner corner lashes. This also makes coating bottom lashes easy.
5. The formula is not wet/ watery yet not dry/ tough to spread, either! Perfect balance allows layers of mascara to grip to each other well so great volume is achieved with only 2 layers (dried in between layers). Simple zig zag motion prevents any blobbing on the ends of the lashes, so as long as you stick to the 2 voluminous layers, no comb is needed.
6. If you close your eyes and pull the wand up through the ends of the lashes you can get some mega length!
7. This mascara is reasonably priced considering you get a few grams more than most drugstore mascaras.
8. No flakes, no smudges!

Cons:
1. No waterproof version available in a UK store (dec/2013).
2. Brush end always needs a dab on the back of a hand or tissue as it has a lot of excess on it, but this is common with most mascaras.
3. More than 2 thick layers can begin to look spidery, even with a comb, which is not flattering on my straight lashes.
4. Sometimes but not always, lumps of product will sit in the brush so a check for these and a scrape on the rim of the tube is recommended to prevent lashes sticking together.

Overall, this mascara does everything it promises too. I love it and hope everyone buys it so It will never be discontinued haha :). I will update if I find the tube dries out quickly.

on 12/11/2013 11:43:00 AM

Nice Mascara, don't get all those negative comments over here...

on 11/27/2013 6:48:00 PM

I got this from my roommate. She bought it, used it once and hated it. So she asked me if I wanted to try it, and I was like "Woo! Free mascara!" I was pleasantly surprised and have no idea why she was so put off by it. I really like brush for this. It's not wire but I think they're rubber bristles. It does separate lashes and creates a lot of volume. It also makes my lashes look very long when I use it. Which is difficult, because I have kind of short lashes.

The reason I'm only rating it 3/5, though, is because it does get very flaky by the end of the day. And also it can be a bit gloopy and makes your lashes stick together. But the brush is really awesome about combing it out of your lashes. You just have to spend a little time getting your lashes perfect and then it's great.

This mascara is pretty good but nothing to brag about. Colour was good and black, brush was ok but it kept posing my eyes. I liked the reault but I wouldn't say there was much volume, just seperation and definition. I use a lash curler and it didn't hold the curl for more than 4 minutes. But all of this said I would buy it over and maybelline or loreal mascara. It didn't flake , it didn't smudge and came off easy with my makeup remover! Over all, pretty good

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

One word--RELIABLE. I actually didn't wanna like it because the tube is so boring but after a while I noticed I was reaching for it more and more. I think every mascara should have brushes like this and They're Real's. It doesn't excel at any one thing. Aside from that, it succeeds all-around, making it my go-to for a basic mascara. The formula is wet- and good-enough to apply in seconds if you're in a rush. It looks better with 2 coats as opposed to 1 (blacker, thicker, longer), especially after curling lashes. I suggest everyone give this a try, return it if you don't like it.

on 10/19/2013 8:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

There is little to like about this mascara. It doesn't hold a curl, it does not give any volume, and it was clumpy on the very first application. The wand is absolutely terrible for applying. Finally, the mascara flakes off very quickly. The only upside is that it is easy to remove.

on 9/28/2013 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I received Benefit's "They're Real!" as a gift one day and I love it a lot, but I've been looking for a drugstore dupe since then. $29 is too much for me!

The rubber bristles on this one are VERY similar to They're Real, which is why I picked it up. I love mascara wands that have bristles at the end, not just a a round stump like most do, since I like to hold my mascara vertically to get the little lashes in the corner of my eyes. In that regard, this mascara gets an A+. I find it very easy to get to those stubborn little lashes.

However, it falls short of being a dupe for They're Real. It's not as black or volumizing. It actually reminds me a lot of Maybelline's "Full 'n' Soft" because it darkens slightly but still looks natural and does not make your lashes "hard" looking like some mascaras.

So I'm quite conflicted on what to rate Photoready 3D. I purchased this in "Blackest Black" and it still wasn't that dark. As well, it does not add any volume at all to my lashes, although it did separate them fairly well. I find overall it does not live up to it's claims, BUT if you're looking for a basic mascara then this might do the job. For me, I already have many "natural" looking mascaras and was looking for something to make my eyes look more dramatic like Benefit's and this was not it.

on 9/25/2013 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I find it almost laughable that this mascara has 'volume' in it's name. To achieve anything close to what I would call volumised lashes I had to apply 4+ layers! I found the product overall to be very thin. It didn't give me the definition I crave and also couldn't hold a curl.

Popular Mascaras