Maybelline Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

Ingredients.Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Ceresin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Alumina, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Carbonate, Candelilla Cera / Candelilla Wax / Cire De Candelilla, Caprylyl Glycol, C30-45 Alkyldimethylsilyl Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Tin Oxide, Acrylates Copolymer, Paraffin. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 77007 / Ultramarines, CI 19140 / Yellow 5 Lake, CI 16035 / Red 40 Lake, CI 77000 / Aluminum Powder, CI 77510 / Ferric Ferrocyanide, CI 75470 / Carmine, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake, CI 77400 / Bronze Powder, CI 77288 / Chromium Oxide Greens, CI 77289 / Chromium Hydroxide Green, CI 77742 / Manganese Violet, CI 77400 / Copper Powder, CI 77163 / Bismuth Oxychloride, CI 77510 / Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide.. ...

on 2/5/2014 8:40:00 PM

Edited review:

I took two Lippies off because I wore this again but did two layers near my eye and it CREASED. So, that brings it down quite a lot as it is not so buildable, limits the looks I can do and possibly might require powder to set. Still like it and will give it a few more tries before it goes out of rotation.

Original review:
I knew of this eyeshadow from the MUB. So, when I saw them BOGO half off, I bought this and the bronze color. I dug in and was surprised how much came up. Also, the color was different in the underlayer than on top. I thought it would be a sandy taupe, but it is more grey almost leaning towards blue.

I put on, smeared around to above crease, highlighted tear ducts and inner 1/3 with a shiny champagne color and the brows with a bone white. A dark brown liquid liner and black thick mascara completed the look. I got sooooo many compliments. Someone even told me I looked like I had model makeup on.

Pros:
Color
Long wearing

Cons:
Need to be careful with amount of application - a little goes a long way!
Creased when applied second layer

on 2/5/2014 1:06:00 AM

I'm not crazy about this product. I've used other colors in the Color Tattoo line, but Tough as Taupe did not live up to what I've come to expect from these shadows. While others from this line are creamy and easy to apply, I found this one to be very muddy and little bit too thick. It is very easy to go too dark with this and it does NOT spread easily onto the lid. You really have to work it in so it doesn't look patchy. I also found that it appeared weirdly purple once I got it onto my lid. I don't know, maybe this shade just doesn't work with my face. Overall, I felt this product was too much of a hassle to apply and was not flattering on me. The one good thing I can say about this product is that, in true Color Tattoo fashion, the color does stay on all day long. So, if you think you would enjoy the shade, it will give you great staying power.

on 1/31/2014 3:50:00 PM

Nice base for a smokey eye.

It's more of a medium warm grey w/hint of taupe, not an actual taupe. It's a creamy matte finish and tugs a bit when applying.

For a lazy smokey eyes, I add a black in the crease, a shimmery highlight and smudge with liner on top and bottom lashes and voila, a super easy smokey eye.

Similar to Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place ShadowCreme in Mochachino.

on 1/20/2014 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Best for natural smokey look! Day look nd night look

on 1/17/2014 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Weird...I was going to give this to my mom when I saw a review saying to use it on your brows if you are cool tone (which I am)...It looks nice. I think I might go over it with an eyeshadow powder to get a closer match to my hair color. But thanks guys! I have a use for this now. I also think it might be a good lower lash liner for a soft look.

Happy Makeuping!

on 1/15/2014 3:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

It gets a 5 rating as a brow product and a 3 rating as an eye product.

I have extremely oily lids. Without a primer, this product creases on me and lasts maybe 4-5 hours, which isn't long enough :< I like the color as a liner, but it isn't as purple as I wanted it to be.

The one reason why I'm keeping this product is it's an amazing brow filler for black eyebrows! So thank you MUA for the rec :D

on 1/14/2014 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this soley to fill in a small area in one eyebrow. I swore at 20 I wasn't gonna age. I've always had very thick eyebrows which I've never tweezed but for a few strays well under and in between them. Suddenly by my mid forties my brows seemed less lush. One has a small spot that's a bit bare, I can see my skin through it and being by the upper/outer arch, it changes the whole shape of the brow.

I triied various brow products, each one covered/filled in the area, but merely filling it in isn't the goal. The goal is to emulate my missing brow hair in color and appearance, in the most natural looking and long lasting way. This product achieves that. I'm very pleased with its performance.

I've not used this as an eye shadow thus far, am more likely to use as a liner since I don't wear much shadow but love this sort of shade at the base of my lashes. This is a useful product to have, I wish there were many more matte shades in the line. I see this as a coo/ash/brown gray, no purple on me.

on 1/9/2014 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE this product. I have never purchased any Mac Paint Pots but if they're anything like this I am willing to consider! It is so creamy without being greasy and it glides on my super dry eyelids like a dream! I cannot speak on behalf of oily to combination skin, but my dry skin loves this product. Sometimes very pigmented matte eyeshadows look super cakey and dry if I try to build them up, but this looks smooth and flawless yet still matte all day long. I use it for lid color, crease color, sometimes as a brow color and my FAVORITE way to use it is as a contour! I am naturally very pale and this color is the PERFECT contour shade! I think cream contour looks so natural, and this just tops it. It is super easy to blend out and looks like a genuine shadow. The staying power is awesome for me, but again, I have very dry skin and lately I have been using it more often for contour and people ask me if I've lost weight! (Shyea right) but honestly the contour is the only thing I can think of would make them say that. I don't own the Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow, but this seems like a much more affordable option to try out a taupe cream for contouring.

on 12/9/2013 5:53:00 AM

I've got 9 of these but this is definitely one of my favourites for work. It will last all day on my oily lids even though I do a very active job. Perfect as a base but I mostly use this one on its own with a bit if warm brown through the crease for a but if definition. Love it.

on 11/26/2013 3:30:00 AM

I tried this on my brow thanks to the posters' suggestion here and I love it (dark hair, sparse brows)! I wish there were more matte shades of this product, I'd buy them all. As a standalone colour on the lids this does not work for me but that won't stop me from experimenting with it since it seems very versatile and it's good as an eyeshadow base as well. Great stuff!