July 23, 2014 | 2044 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by akharri785

As others have mentioned, these are pretty much dead on dupes for MAC's Paint Pots. I really love the color of this, as it's a nice and soft, matte grey. I like the simple glass pot packaging as well. And the price is not steep so it's not too much of a loss if you want to give them a try and they don't work out. However, as others have mentioned, because it is matte, it's more of a drier texture than others and does not blend easily. Also, it applies much better with a finger than any of my brushes, and I don't generally like to use my fingers for application. Additionally, if you have oily eyelids like me, these will probably end up in your crease after two hours or so. I love the consistency and finish of cream shadows but I should just give up trying to make them work. Unfortunately, no matter what brand (drugstore or department) of cream shadow I use, they never stay put. I was more optimistic with this one since it promised prolonged wear, but nope, it's staying power is the same as the rest. I used my faithful Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer with these and they still did't work for me. So if you're a gal with oily lids, trying to find a lasting cream shadow, the search continues.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Kalady

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The Basics:
PROS: inexpensive, complex color, solid packaging, lots of product, travel-friendly, long-lasting, PERFECT BROW COLOR FOR COOL-TONED BRUNETTES
CONS: extremely quick drying time, difficult to control the opacity of the color, can appear chalky on the eyelids
Tough as Taupe is a beautiful grayish-brown with a bit of purple, and on the lids it appears a cool, purple-toned gray. I bought this product thinking that I would use it as an all-over lid color for some quick definition... Unfortunately, for a very fair, mascara-lip-balm-and-concealer kind of girl, this color was a little too statement/makeup-y for my everyday liking, as beautiful as it is. I had no idea what to do with it. Interestingly enough, I had recently gotten more into filling in my brows as a way to keep my makeup natural but polished, but I could not find a brow color to suit me. I'm very fair with dark hair, and my eyebrows near black-brown. All the brow colors I had - the Wet 'n' Wild kit, the Coastal Scents set, the Japonesque Brow Kit - were far too brown and far too warm, making my brows look suspiciously unnatural and reddish. I decided to try this on my brows and voila - a match made in heaven. This is totally undetectable (even on my fair skin and gaps in my brows), it dries matte, and it doesn't rub or smear. I love it. Make sure to remove the majority from the brush before doing the front of the brow (so it doesn't look too artificial), and blend with a spoolie as you go (as it dries quickly). Besides brows, this color is great on the lids, crease, or as liner so long as you work quickly and blend before it sets- because man, when it sets, it stays forever. Overall, very wonderful, versatile product. 4/5

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by annhf24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This color is very matte and difficult to blend, but it works perfectly when used with a little of the shimmery white Color tattoo to smooth it out. I have oily eyelids, and I do find it creases if I don't use a primer first. I use a the Too Faced eye primer in the blue tube, let it set, then use the Taupe in my crease / as a contour, and use the shimmery white to blend it and in the inner corners. After letting that set, I put a little eyeshadow powder on top, and it seriously lasts all day and all night long.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by AleMarisol1212

I was ready to throw this away, BUUUT...I decided to read the reviews in here and give it a last try, tough as taupe to me is too dry and uneven , but I tried it on my eyebrows and it's perfect !!...no wearing off..before giving up on this one try it on eyebrows, it's great!..:-)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by realitydust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a few of the color tattoo shadows, expecting Tough as Taupe to be my favorite as I'm a sucker for taupes and muted browns. Well, first off, this shade is NOT a true taupe when applied as it looks in the container. It's a matte GREY (think Copperplate by MAC), which is okay, but not the taupey color I was expecting (something close to Groundwork paint pot). It does not apply as smoothly as the other shades, so I cannot wear this by itself as I was hoping to since it does not go on evenly and wears off quite easily. I guess I will use it as a neutral base for layering shadows, because this thing does not look flattering on its own; it gives a tired/sullen look almost.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by distinewatso123

Just like all of the other color tattoos, I like this best applied with my fingertips. It is a drier formula than the other color tattoos but it has held up just as well as the other shades I bought as the same time (well over a year ago). Tough as Taupe should be called Good Ol' Grey in my opinion as it is a perfect cool toned, matte grey (no brown that I can see) that can be worn alone for a simple, matte look (always over a primer for me) or topped with shadows if you want a look with shimmer. My quick 2 minute eye look lately has been a medium brown in the crease, Tough as Taupe on my lids topped with a shimmery shadow (MAC Grand Entrance 90% of the time), liner, & mascara. If you want a quick, wearable "smokey eye" apply Tough as Taupe on your lid, a grey/black shadow in the outer corner, blend everything out with the crease color of your choice, add liner & mascara and you are good to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by surfinjan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy the few color tattoos that appear as matte or satin. They are the easiest to apply from the set and the matte base it provide enables any color going over these to pop - both in color and in texture.

Tough as Taupe can also serve as a one-and-go shadow on the lid, providing either a smoky finish or a very sheer hint of color to the lid. Highly blendable and buildable - however, as a cream, you'll want to watch the degree to which you build if you have oily eyelids. It can also be used as a crease shade for many fairer skinned individuals (I range from NC40 to NC44, depending on sun exposure and product used).

I prefer these to MAC paint pots. For me, the MAC paint pots crease but the Maybelline color tattoos do not. Maybelline Color Tattoo cost less as well. Very versatile but I had not rate them only a 4 on the packaging as they are sold in glass containers that are not practical for travel or busy, somewhat clumsy individuals like myself. That being said, I had one drop about 32 inches last night and the jar did not crack.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ellejay1616

Unfortunately cream eyeshadows do not work for me as my lids are very oily! Even if I use NARS eye primer under it I still see creasing by the end of the day. I wish I loved it because the colour is nice and very buildable. If I want it sheer I can do it, if I want it darker and bolder I can do that too. It does fade throughout the day, and with my oily lids it fades considerably. I do like to wear this under my lashline, or for a very simple barley there look I grab a angled brush and line my top lashline with this. The colour is nothing incredible, except the fact that it's matte and from the drugstore! I do LIKE the colour, and I'm sure the formula works for those with normal skin/lids. I would not repurchase just because it doesn't work my skin type, and I can replicate the barely there liner look with a powder eyeshadow. I don't think I'll ever be in a position to have to repurchase it because I barely use it and if I do it's only a little bit, so I probably won't run out haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tough as Taupe isn't super sexy or exciting, but I keep picking it back up. It's great for my everyday, I-totally-just-woke-up-like-this look that I can slap on without even thinking about it. It's a cream, not a shimmer, and goes on the lids a greyish brown. Some other reviewers have compared it to mud - that's not far off, but it turns out mud looks pretty good on my eyes. I use just a little bit all over the lid, building it up a little more towards the lashline and then blending it out at the crease. Sometimes I add liner, but that by itself gives my eyes some natural looking definition, and with a little mascara it's the perfect subtle work makeup. I have also used an eyeliner brush to blend a little onto my lower lashline, and it looks nice and soft, and not overly "done".

The texture is much dryer than some of the other Color Tattoos I own, and I've had the best luck applying it with my EcoTools concealer brush - the brush picks up a good amount of product, and it applies smoothly and evenly, then I finish blending it out with a fingertip. I have tried using another primer underneath, but it just seemed to make it harder to blend out. I get 4-6 hours before it creases, but since I usually wear it by itself, I can blend it out with a finger and keep it looking neat for a full work day.

Knocked off a point for the creasing and the dryer texture, but it's a solid workhorse that I keep on hand for those crazy panicked mornings (like, at least three times a week.)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

For those having trouble blending these shadows, try using Sonia kashuk's duo fibre eye shadow brush. It works like a mini MAC 187--perfect for creams. I've been using Jessie's girl or fergie for WnW as a primer under cream/liquid shadows lately, and my supremely oily eyelids are crease-free for a good 8 hours.

Tough as taupe really went above and beyond the competitors by being double-duty. I have tried and set aside both benefit cream shadow and MAC paint pots, but I enjoy color tattoos. On my dark brown brows (neutral), tough as taupe is surprisingly awesome. It also makes a great base for my new favorite eyeliner, rimmel taupe. Wonderful combo for a bottom lash liner.

Even the packaging is wonderful, very sturdy. Highly recommended, for brows and eyes!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No