November 22, 2014 | 1954 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Master Shape

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Winterwise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Good grief, what were they thinking when they designed this? I was hoping to use this to carry in my bag for brow touch-ups at work ( my main brow product is MAC's Concrete eyeshadow) . It's a plastic pencil that seems like it should twist up, but it doesn't. Yes, it can be sharpened, but not very well, and without a fine tip, you can't stroke fine lines of color for creating a natural brow. The formula is waxy yet pigmented, and reasonably long wearing, and the color range isn't too bad, but again, that stumpy tip botches the works. At the very least, this should have come with a custom sharpener, since I'm not going to needlessly wear out my MAC sharpener on sharpening plastic. Plastic!

My elderly mother bought this for me because she knows I like to try new products (and bless her she still thinks I'm 14). Maybelline, you made my mom waste her money- shame on you!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by HapaKikui

I decided to purchase this after using eye shadow as a substitute and not liking how it looked. This is an overall so-so product. It effectively fills in my eyebrows, but it doesn't seem ideal for shaping--it lacks the precision and sharpness that I would prefer. Also, it is plastic so I don't see how I can go about sharpening this. When I use this up, I am definitely going to purchase something else.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:38:00 AM More reviews by louisahm26

This has a weird, waxy texture that makes my brow hairs stick to my skin which I don't like. The texture of it also means that it needs sharpening all the time and so it gets used up really quickly! However, I do like that it has a brush on the end and that the colour Dark Blonde is a good match for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by KimD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The pencil is plastic and next to impossible to sharpen. The plastic flakes away in giant chunks and the "lead" breaks apart and turns into a stubby, unusable shape. It's too waxy, making it hard to work with. Because of the waxy feel, I cannot get it to deposit any color after the initial pass. I used it maybe 4-5 times and tossed it after none of my sharpeners helped. Define-A-Brow is 1 million times better!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/28/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by fairhaired1

How the heck do you sharpen this thing? I had to throw this away 1 week after purchasing because I couldn't sharpen it. What a waste of money?!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by JillianMoore528

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Do not buy this if you don't like the fake waxy brow look. This brow pencil was absolutely horrid and too waxy for my liking. Definitely wont be repurchasing

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by materialface

I thought I would end up loving this brow pencil, but I guess not. I purchased this several months ago, and I still have just less than half of it left.

- because this isn't a wooden pencil, it is EXTREMELY difficult to sharpen, even with my handy NARS sharpener.
- once i do get it sharpened, its always a retarded shape and never pointed enough. the formula of the kohl is too creamy because it seems like its mostly wax
- I do love that there is a spooly at the other end, you will definitely need to use it as the wax from this pencil clumps your brow hairs together and FLATTENS them which I can't stand.
- the color range of these pencils is very limited. If you're asian with sparse black hair and you want a LIGHT brown pencil but not necessarily blonde, just light brown, you're out of luck with these pencils. I bought the dark brown pencil and its way too dark for a natural look.
I won't be repurchasing this

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by oneclassy_broad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this eyebrow pencil! Probably my HG unless I find something better! I was surprised at the amount of bad reviews but regardless this product has worked for me. It has a waxy consistency and glides on very smooth, no need to add too much pressure to get the product to glide on. Gives a natural look, and it keeps my eyebrows in place. Fills in my eyebrows nicely and makes it easy to shape! I have had no problem sharpening this product as others have complained about and I use a crappy sharpener at that! Love it! Only thing I would say that might be a downfall is that I feel like I go through these pencils super quick!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by trish7210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh...it's hard to decide where to start with this.

I usually use Define-a-brow, but the dark brown color is a little too warm for me, and it's becoming increasingly hard to find. (it's always missing at Target) I decided to stick with the same brand and try the Master Shaper in Deep Brown. The color is great. It's a nice and dark brown, suitable for cool-toned brows. It doesn't seem to have much, if any red tones. Awesome. The little brush on the end is also awesome. It puts brows right into place, especially since the pencil formula is a bit waxy and holds brows nicely. Again, awesome. However, there are big downfalls, too. Like most have said, this is a PLASTIC pencil.....that you sharpen. Awkward. I mean....why in the makeup god's name..?! I have no idea. So besides being the worst design ever, it doesn't have incredible staying power, either. I rectify this by setting my brows with a bit of brow powder, but I don't feel like I should have to do this. Amazing color and nice formula, but seriously.....it's like a caveman designed this pencil, so I won't buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by joongielover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

if only i have come on to read reviews because i was really confused about how i could get more product. sharpening plastic? really, maybelline? that is a bunch of BS. i couldn't comprehend that initially and now i'm going to return this.

i'm asian and have black/deep dark brown hair and it's difficult to find a dark brown without red in it. i love the color (deep brown) and i don't mind the waxiness, nor (what some people dislike) lack of pigmentation. i don't use enough to feel how waxy it could be, and i like that it's not a strong color right off the bat. i have visible brows which aren't too full (and i fill it in with something everyday) and so this gives the perfect amount of color for mine.

with that said, because of this ridiculous packaging, which is not convenient or efficient at all, i will be returning this and continuing my use of rimmel's easy brow in black brown (which i can't find anymore so that's why i was trying to find an alternative. this maybelline one is more expensive but more easily accessible. and i thought it would be easy because i thought it is retractable. nope.) maybelline has been really disappointing me with their eyeliners/pencil products