April 20, 2014 | 1344 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Master Shape

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by trish7210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh...it's hard to decide where to start with this.

I usually use Define-a-brow, but the dark brown color is a little too warm for me, and it's becoming increasingly hard to find. (it's always missing at Target) I decided to stick with the same brand and try the Master Shaper in Deep Brown. The color is great. It's a nice and dark brown, suitable for cool-toned brows. It doesn't seem to have much, if any red tones. Awesome. The little brush on the end is also awesome. It puts brows right into place, especially since the pencil formula is a bit waxy and holds brows nicely. Again, awesome. However, there are big downfalls, too. Like most have said, this is a PLASTIC pencil.....that you sharpen. Awkward. I mean....why in the makeup god's name..?! I have no idea. So besides being the worst design ever, it doesn't have incredible staying power, either. I rectify this by setting my brows with a bit of brow powder, but I don't feel like I should have to do this. Amazing color and nice formula, but seriously.....it's like a caveman designed this pencil, so I won't buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by joongielover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

if only i have come on to read reviews because i was really confused about how i could get more product. sharpening plastic? really, maybelline? that is a bunch of BS. i couldn't comprehend that initially and now i'm going to return this.

i'm asian and have black/deep dark brown hair and it's difficult to find a dark brown without red in it. i love the color (deep brown) and i don't mind the waxiness, nor (what some people dislike) lack of pigmentation. i don't use enough to feel how waxy it could be, and i like that it's not a strong color right off the bat. i have visible brows which aren't too full (and i fill it in with something everyday) and so this gives the perfect amount of color for mine.

with that said, because of this ridiculous packaging, which is not convenient or efficient at all, i will be returning this and continuing my use of rimmel's easy brow in black brown (which i can't find anymore so that's why i was trying to find an alternative. this maybelline one is more expensive but more easily accessible. and i thought it would be easy because i thought it is retractable. nope.) maybelline has been really disappointing me with their eyeliners/pencil products

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by cassblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The first time I tried this, I loved it! I have the light brown shade and it matches my dark blonde eyebrows perfectly. The nice point kept the pencil precise. But, when it came time to sharpen, what a mess! Who the heck sharpens plastic!? And no I'm not getting a "special" sharpener online. After the first use, I ended up with a dull pencil. I tried to sharpen it, but it doesn't really work. The nice sharp, defined point was gone so the application ends up too thick and waxy. I think with this formula you need a defined point. Plus, I end up being scratched by sharp pieces of plastic. Definitely some of the worst packaging I have ever seen.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by vinniewhat

I have this product in Deep Brown, and it works really well on my Asian brows, no red at all. The problem I encountered was that the product is incased in plastic. I knew I was going to get it everywhere and make a mess of the pencil if I sharpened it, so what I've done is take the pencil apart (yank off the spoolie, then yank off the plastic cap). I then squish a q-tip and pushed it up the pencil slowly, until more product comes out the top! Viola! Then I set my brows with a dark brown eyeshadow. I quite like doing this as you don't get any product wasted inside the sharpener. Haha you can tell I was desperate to get to the product. Product is quite expensive for the amount of stuff you get, it's around $14 AUS.. watch out for specials though, Priceline always has it's products on sale.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by cosmeticjunky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I agree with everyone on the sharpening. For a makeup company as big as maybelline it's absolutely ridiculous to have a product in a plastic tube and expect people to know that you can sharpen it with a sharpener when historically, that's never been the case. Hey, Maybelline, how's about some directions on The package! Now with that being said, I will still repurchase this product. I've used every brow definer out there and usually hate them. Powder looks more natural but is almost impossible to use alone and get the definition you want. Pencils from drug store to department store always end up way too harsh, you may as well draw them on with a Sharpie. This product however (once you get it out) seems to have nailed it. It's a pencil so I can draw the shape I want but it doesn't look like you drew your eyebriws on, it looks very natural like powder. In my opinion, Great product, horrific packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by rainydays1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I doubt that I'll repurchase this. I like the color a lot. It's hard for me to find something that leans more toward red hair since I have auburn hair and light brown almost red eyebrows. I'm so glad that someone posted about how to sharpen this pencil because it's encased in a plastic sheath and I was so confused and kept trying to twist the pencil but I guess I'll try sharpening?

Great color, thicker line than I'm used to and not sure about the consistency but I agree with another reviewer that loved the spoiliee. I agree, it's a great tool but what a shame that I just spent $10 on something that I can't take back and I'm not too excited about. Not sure if I'll even use it that much...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was so excited to buy this product in 'Auburn' as it's hard finding a redhead friendly brow product at the drugstore. I really wish I would of read the reviews on MUA as it could of saved me $8! Probably the worst brow product I've tried in awhile as it's extremely waxy greasy, lacks pigmentation, difficult to apply as the tip is thick and not precise, and migrates and smears all day. Complete fail!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 6:07:00 AM More reviews by Ciaofiore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to google what to do with this pencil...can it be sharpened? Am I supposed to twist the product up? As it turns out, you can sharpen it with a normal pencil sharpener. Good to know, since I forced myself to give it another try. And yep, still horrible. The brown color is good, they got that right. But it is waxy, the point is too wide to fill in the sparse areas of my brows, and the staying power is horrible. The spoolie on the end is the only reason this is not in the trash, I use that. Blech, I wish I had read the reviews before I even tried. Lesson learned.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by brooke2010

I'm really on the fence about this. I absolutely LOVE the dark brown shade. It looks far more natural than the other pencil I was using. However, this has got to be the worst packaging ever. Sharpening it is a nightmare and it always ends up uneven and goes on clumpier afterwards. I don't know if I'd buy it again because it's such a hassle; maybe I can find a brow color I really like elsewhere.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 6:45:00 AM More reviews by pk23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I find very few things to like about this brow crayon/pencil whatever it is.
To start with a positive, the colour deep brown is nice....... and well thats all I can say good about it.

Using this to fill in my brows was horrible. My brows are naturally quite full and only some slight areas need touching to make them match. But this did nothing to help. Its hard to apply and looks very unnatural.
You have to be very careful with the amount of pressure you use because press too hard and next thing you know it is completely blunt. And then you dont just wind it up for more, you have to sharpen the thing when its made of a wax texture. Not worth the effort.

While it is a cheap product at $11(AU) this mess is not even worth $5!
Going to throw it out and throw in a bit more money for something actually usable.