November 28, 2014 | 1376 users online

Fragrances - Lancome - Magie Noire

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2006 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Rocki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I smelled this on someone about 14 years ago or more, and she smelled so different than anyone I had been around. I asked her what she was wearing, and she said "Magie Noire". I loved the name, and the scent, so I went and purchased it, and wore it for a couple of years. I stopped for more than five years or so, and just recently purchased it. I don't know here folks, but it doesn't smell the same to me. I've read on other forums, that some people said the same thing. I liked it alot better years ago, but it is still different. It smells sweeter to me now, and that in itself, makes me a little nauseous.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2006 1:29:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Lovers of Caron's Alpona might want to try Magie Noire. At least, they'd be interested in the bottle I tried. A few minutes into the drydown and I thought, "oh, this is very much like Alpona." And that thought didn't change as Magie Noire's base notes revved up. Bracing, with an almost menthol backnote, it will remove all those pesky, embarrassing nose hairs without even trying.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2006 10:57:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Magie Noire is certainly not a shy fragrance! It's a big, bold floriental, that needs very judicious spraying otherwise it will knock everyone out within a ten yard radius. Having said that, if you put a tiny dab on this is a beautiful fragrance - warm, spicy, floral and, above all, woody (the sandalwood can be a little sharp on me.) Magie Noire is sensual and luxurious and ideal for those winter days when you want to feel extra confident and sophisticated. I don't think it's quite right for me, but I like to wear it on occasion!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2005 11:31:00 PM More reviews by babyjo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a rich spicy oriental fragrance, perfect for evenings out. It is slightly dated- reminds me of evening scents of the 80's, but still smells incredibly rich and luxurious. If you want to feel fabulous, wear this. I bought a small EDP in a splash bottle, and accidentally tipped it, most of the contents spilled out: moral-- the splash packaging is not stable/ the bottle is oblong and can easily tip.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/18/2005 6:45:00 PM More reviews by annemoorthy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started using Magie Noire as my "winter perfume" back in 1975, and have never waivered in my preference. A month ago, my bottle from last year needed replacement. I purchased a bottle from a major ebay fragrance seller.
When I received it, I thought it was a fake. It didn't smell right - I'd recognize Magie Noire anywhere from a distance! I then bought another bottle, from a second ebay shop - this time a small one just to be able to compare.
This second one smelled different even from the first replacement!! Not even close to the subtle woodsy-oriental scent that would linger & that I so enjoyed all these years.
I contacted Lancome. The rep in customer service suggested that maybe the perfumes I had bought were old, and that a fragrance changes with age. Yes maybe, but an UNopened new bottle? I also checked a German website and noticed that on it, they differentiated between a "new, lighter Magie Noire EDP"" and the ""old"" fragrance.

Long story short: I would NOT purchase this NEW fragrance again. It is a great dissapointment to me and disenchants me with Lancome altogether.
I think it is time to move on to something different....

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2005 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Enigmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just got off the phone with a rep from Lancome. I emailed them a few times, saying that I thought (and many others) that the fragrance has changed through the years, and NOT for the better. She tried her best to convince me that it hasn't, but I told her, it's not just my opinion, so if many others have noticed, then there must be some truth to it. She really didn't know what to say after that statement, but she said she would pass my comments to the "big wigs". Well, at least if it's true, they might take some action, but I still like it, not as much as before, but it's still nice.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2005 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Enigmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm a little confused with this fragrance. I first wore this about 15 years ago, then it smelled very unusual and "edgy". Not too sweet at all. I bought a bottle not too long ago, and it seems to smell different. Sweeter, powdery and lacking that edge or unusual smell. I think they changed the original formula. Not uncommon with most of the perfume companies. Why do they have to compromise quality with cost? Not so sure I like it as well, may still wear it, but I feel let down. Annoying!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2005 9:00:00 PM More reviews by altocat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wish MUA gave us a "maybe" option when asking if we'd purchase a product again. Magie Noire was one of my favorite frags during college and for a year or two after, and when I recently spritzed it on myself at a local Nordstrom's, I did feel very nostalgic for my early 20's... the years when I could go clubbing until 2AM, 3 nights a week, even if I had to be at work early the following day. MN is oriental, but a bit sweet, maybe too sweet for me now (the older I get, the more my body demands that scents be spicy, woody, or clean, anything but sugary) but this fragrance still has a certain appeal. I would recommend that anyone seeking a respite from the too-sweet scents currently dominating the market give this a try, esp. if you are young and just beginning to feel more like a woman than a girl.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2005 11:53:00 AM More reviews by msa8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this fragrance! My mom has been wearing this for as long as I can remember. It's her big-night-out scent and when I was little, she would always let me have a spritz whenever she used it. One of my all-time favorites, definetely.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2005 10:55:00 PM More reviews by nancy_183

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I reviewed this fragrance once before, but I decided to review it again. This is my mum's favourite perfume and she has been wearing it for over 10 years now. I decided to spray it on a few nights ago before going to bed, wow... this smelled incredible on me! Smelled just as good as it does on my mother. I never had the inclination to use it because I'm only 22 and I thought it was too "mature" for me. Well, that's definitely not true, and I won't let this little treasure pass me by anymore. Contrary to many people, I don't mind wearing the same perfume as my mum, she's my idol, so why not!! Magie Noir is pure liquid gold! It's everything that a perfume should be... sensual, sophisticated, mysterious, classy, edgy, sexy and provocative (in a good way) all in one! Not long ago, I was watching a Portuguese soap opera and happened to see Magie Noir sitting on top of the main character's vanity. This character was everything that this perfume embodies, a typical soap opera character, plus a few love triangles thrown in as usual... ah, les affaires du coeur! But back to the fragrance, is it a coincidence that they chose this fragrance for her vanity?! I think not!! This fragrance says, I'm classy and I'm confident, that's exactly how I feel when I wear this and I'm sure any woman who uses this perfume will agree with me. One should always know their limits... a fragrance doesn't have to... ;)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No