September 20, 2014 | 1798 users online

BB Cream - Clinique - Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WOW. I was cautiously optimistic about this product, but was prepared to have my expectations dashed. This is not formulated for my kind of skin. I am very oily. But I now have aging (although still disconcertingly oily) as well. This can be a BIG problem, as most long wearing or matte products tend to emphasize all the age related issues I am trying to hide; fine lines, large pores, rougher texture...SIGH. However, most age-defying, luminous, hydrating products just cannot stand up to my oily skin. Also, I am finding that what they say is true...as you age, less is more in terms of foundation.

So I've been experimenting trying to find some middle ground, with not much luck. I thought BB creams might be the answer, if I could find the right one.

I'm not prepared to say this is IT, but it's very, very promising. It's definitely lighter coverage, but not sheer. It can hide some minor issues, but not anything substantial, such as acne scarring or pronounced sun damage. But that's what I was looking for. I'm too old for heavy, maksy foundations that cover everything and make you look like a blank canvas. So I used this with a good concealer to cover my dark circles and a few dark spots and minor blemishes and I was really satisfied with that in terms of camoflouging my problems without looking too heavy.

I LOVED the texture and the finish. Not luminous, but not matte either; very skinlike. It didn't exactly "set", but it didn't remain greasy or slippery either. I did set this with powder. It looked so fresh and lovely that I couldn't stop looking at it. But I knew I couldn't make any kind of determination until I had worn it for a full day.

I wore this for a full day and purposely did not blot or powder
at ALL, other than the initial application of powder to set. I even wore it thought an hour long workout.

I got "dewy" after about four hours. But it wasn't terrible. I think I could have blotted and been fine. As it was, I didn't feel that it was bad enough to make me feel conspicuous or self-conscious. And there was no apparent breakdown in the coverage.

After my workout, which took place about six hours into wear, I was definitely shinier, but I was not dripping with oil as I would have expected. The coverage was still very even, with no patchiness or streaking. I could have used a blot and a smidge or powder at that point and been fine for quite a while longer I think.

At eight hours, it was definitely showing signs of wear, but again, I had done no touch up throughout the day. I always do touch up, even with long wearing formulas, because of my oily skin. And I was prepared to sacrifice some of the long wearing properties I have become accustomed to in order to get the the lighter, fresher more youthful looking finish. I was pleased to find that while it had broken down some at this point, it hadn't gathered in my fine lines and large pores as some foundations have.

One problem with long wearing formulas is that because they set so hard, it's hard to do any reapplication without starting all over, because it's difficult to blend one layer on top of the other, and because it just gets too heavy and opaque. But due to the finish of this product, I think I could have added a bit more product to refresh and gotten a good result.

All in all, I was very pleased. I think I can make this product work for me. It might take a little more effort than I'm used to, but it's a trade off I can live with. I certainly didn't get any drying at all. I guess it depends on skin type, but I really can't see how that would be true of this product.

OH! Also meant to say, there was no overt chemical sunscreen smell or feel, which was surprising. However, it remains to be seen if the SPF breaks me out, which tends to be a problem for me. If it does, I will be sorely disappointed.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ryanhill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Clinique so I was hoping to like this product. I was very disappointed. I do however think if I had younger skin it might be great. I asked the sales girl if this was a good choice for older skin (53) she said it would be great. I found it to be very drying and it sunk right into my fine lines. My husband told me whatever I was using on my skin made it look old. If you have beautiful young skin go for it. Otherwise forget it

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 12:20:00 PM More reviews by NikkiduP

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for about 6 months now. I recently took a 2 month break from using it to explore other options. I was quite happy with my purchase but somehow we always look for bigger and better things. Today I used it again after a long break and I was more appreciative of the product. Today was a hot day and I spent most of it outside. Coverage was good, my face was protected, it was sweat proof and did not smudge or run. After 6hrs it still looked the same as when I applied it. I like this product because it looks natural and leaves your face looking fresh. Its not as creamy and moisturising as the dermalogica cover tint which has a more velvety texture. I keep that for when I'm in doors and want to look dewy all day. I find this bb cream a very resistant and durable product so I will use it for outdoor days. I don't recommend it for dry skin as it can leave a tight feeling towards the end of the day and a moisturiser is needed before application. All in all I'm glad I pulled this out of my arsenal again and put it back in rotation. I was impartial to it a few months ago but after having tried a few products these last few months I can honestly say this is a keeper.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by wbenakis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

When BB creams started getting really popular; I really wanted to get on board! I wanted something that was GOOD for my skin. I wanted a natural look but coverage. I tested the maybelline bb cream however I thought it broke me out and did not provide any coverage. I finally checked out Clinque's BB line and I really have liked it. I have been wearing it alone with blush and mascara for a more natural but I still have makeup on look! I feel like it has just the right amount of coverage for my redness. I still use moisturizer underneath it. It was a good buy for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by seannetta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really pleased with the coverage, colour, and finish of this BB cream. It's somewhat thick and creamy -- definitely not the usual tinted-moisturizer consistency of most North American BB creams. I appreciate this moisturizing creamy-ness, as my skin is super-dry and drinks it right up.

Coverage is medium, and it does indeed blur imperfections and mask most of my skin's redness and acne scars. It hasn't broken me out so far, and when I pat a wee bit of powder on top it stays put and does not become greasy or shiny.

The thing I love about this most is the colour selection -- I am extremely pale, with rosy undertones, and shade 01 suits me better than any foundation or tinted moisturizer I've ever tried. It has a nice rosy tone to it that blends right into my skin.

Basically, what I love about this is that it looks like my skin but better when I have it on. My only complaint is that, for some reason, the version of it available in Canada, where I am, does not have an SPF.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by pc122

I used up a whole tube of this and it was alright. Not the worst but not the best. I had an issue with color options. Sometimes it oxidized on my skin, causing me to look orange. But, I continued using it because it has the right amount of coverage for me. I applied it with a stipple brush which really gave me a nice finish. I think this is good for someone young like me with pretty good skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Emabo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like somebody else had commented, I was having trouble finding a BB creme in my shade, so I was delighted when I found this. It covers my acne very well. It feels very lightweight, and I haven't had any trouble with it staying on if I set it with a powder.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 5:29:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I was hesitant to try this when it first came out because of the general displeasure there seemed to be with American BB creams vs. Asian BB creams, but I decided to give this one a try by asking for a sample pot of it from an SA at a Clinique counter in Macy's. My match was Shade 02 (~MAC NC30) The sample pot lasted me 5 days of wear, dotting only on five places around my face (both cheeks, chin, forehead, nose) to cover my face. I know the full-size tube will last a long time as a little goes a long way.

It turns out that this BB cream is very similar in tone (3 shades limited to fair-medium, depending on undertone), weight (thick), and texture (smooth, creamy) to traditional Korean BB creams, but like Japanese BB creams, the Clinique BB has no discernible fragrance. I can't say much for how this BB cream fairs in the long run, but over the course of 5 days I can definitely say that this has some pretty impressive coverage and staying power for an American BB cream; on my winter combo-oily skin (more on the dry side this season), this has lasted me 10 hours. It lasts even longer (12 hours) when used like a primer under a powder foundation, or with a setting powder dusted over it.

Worn alone, this has moderate, natural-looking coverage; it evens out my skin tone and dark under-eye circles, and lightens my freckles. A light—and I mean light—dusting of powder foundation or setting powder can bring the coverage to full. Also, BB creams generally make my skin look flat because of how they "brighten"/pale out the skin, but contouring with mauve blush or bronzer will bring color back to my face.

While I like this foundation for how similar it is to the traditional Asian BB creams, the one thing I personally do not like about this foundation is that it is not lightweight; this is similar in thickness to Missha's Cho Bo Yang BB Cream. You will feel like you're wearing makeup. This probably owes to why it wears for a long time, and the thick, creamy texture will be a treat for dry skin. But because it's so thick, layering so much on (especially with too much powder over it) will make it look cakey, and for those with oily skin, this will feel especially heavy and may not wear for very long on its own.

This BB cream retails for $37 for 1.4oz/40ml of product, making it roughly the same price as some of the higher-end Asian BB creams. What I find sets this product apart besides its similarity to Asian BB creams is that it doesn't have fragrance whereas many popular Asian BB creams do, so this might be a good option for those with sensitive skin. I found that this was moisturizing and wore well for the winter, but I know for myself that this will not be the same experience for the summer. I have also used more affordable American and Asian BB creams that have worked wonderfully year-round. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this BB cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

About me: Dry/combination, acne prone skin; very pale (natural redhead). I have pinky skin with red patches and dark purple circles under my eyes, but the back of my hands and neck have a touch of golden tone. Most foundation lines do not have a shade that is pale enough. Anyway, BB creams tend to have a limited color selection, so I've been struggling to find one that is pale enough and doesn't leave me looking like a greasy Oompa Loompa.

Clinique Age Defense is a true BB cream, not just a tinted moisturizer; it inhibits my acne, minimizes red patches and serves as a decent primer for my under-eye concealer. In my case, skin needs to be properly exfoliated and moisturized before application because the product will cling to dry patches. I think that this BB cream is probably best for oilier skin types because I do require the extra moisturizer. Best of all, the color (shade 01) is pale enough; it has pink/beige undertones and tends to lean a tad grey, but I prefer this over excessive yellowness. I also appreciate the decent SPF, although I always apply additional sunscreen for maximum protection (given that I conservatively apply BB cream)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by TereH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

My experience was just like cecilelpham's review below. Very shortly after application my T-zone was oily. I couldn't handle the SPF 30 smell; usually Clinique is without any discernible smell, so I was disappointed, due to my incredible sensitivity to smells and my dependence on Clinique. I also wasn't crazy about the color. The 03 shade worked okay but it had a gray cast to it. I was afraid to buy shade 02 because it was for golden undertones and I'm neutral but look better in pinks than yellows. I gave the bottle I had after only wearing it once or twice to my niece.