April 16, 2014 | 940 users online

BB Cream - Clinique - Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by wbenakis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

When BB creams started getting really popular; I really wanted to get on board! I wanted something that was GOOD for my skin. I wanted a natural look but coverage. I tested the maybelline bb cream however I thought it broke me out and did not provide any coverage. I finally checked out Clinque's BB line and I really have liked it. I have been wearing it alone with blush and mascara for a more natural but I still have makeup on look! I feel like it has just the right amount of coverage for my redness. I still use moisturizer underneath it. It was a good buy for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by seannetta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm really pleased with the coverage, colour, and finish of this BB cream. It's somewhat thick and creamy -- definitely not the usual tinted-moisturizer consistency of most North American BB creams. I appreciate this moisturizing creamy-ness, as my skin is super-dry and drinks it right up.

Coverage is medium, and it does indeed blur imperfections and mask most of my skin's redness and acne scars. It hasn't broken me out so far, and when I pat a wee bit of powder on top it stays put and does not become greasy or shiny.

The thing I love about this most is the colour selection -- I am extremely pale, with rosy undertones, and shade 01 suits me better than any foundation or tinted moisturizer I've ever tried. It has a nice rosy tone to it that blends right into my skin.

Basically, what I love about this is that it looks like my skin but better when I have it on. My only complaint is that, for some reason, the version of it available in Canada, where I am, does not have an SPF.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by pc122

I used up a whole tube of this and it was alright. Not the worst but not the best. I had an issue with color options. Sometimes it oxidized on my skin, causing me to look orange. But, I continued using it because it has the right amount of coverage for me. I applied it with a stipple brush which really gave me a nice finish. I think this is good for someone young like me with pretty good skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Emabo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like somebody else had commented, I was having trouble finding a BB creme in my shade, so I was delighted when I found this. It covers my acne very well. It feels very lightweight, and I haven't had any trouble with it staying on if I set it with a powder.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 5:29:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I was hesitant to try this when it first came out because of the general displeasure there seemed to be with American BB creams vs. Asian BB creams, but I decided to give this one a try by asking for a sample pot of it from an SA at a Clinique counter in Macy's. My match was Shade 02 (~MAC NC30) The sample pot lasted me 5 days of wear, dotting only on five places around my face (both cheeks, chin, forehead, nose) to cover my face. I know the full-size tube will last a long time as a little goes a long way.

It turns out that this BB cream is very similar in tone (3 shades limited to fair-medium, depending on undertone), weight (thick), and texture (smooth, creamy) to traditional Korean BB creams, but like Japanese BB creams, the Clinique BB has no discernible fragrance. I can't say much for how this BB cream fairs in the long run, but over the course of 5 days I can definitely say that this has some pretty impressive coverage and staying power for an American BB cream; on my winter combo-oily skin (more on the dry side this season), this has lasted me 10 hours. It lasts even longer (12 hours) when used like a primer under a powder foundation, or with a setting powder dusted over it.

Worn alone, this has moderate, natural-looking coverage; it evens out my skin tone and dark under-eye circles, and lightens my freckles. A light—and I mean light—dusting of powder foundation or setting powder can bring the coverage to full. Also, BB creams generally make my skin look flat because of how they "brighten"/pale out the skin, but contouring with mauve blush or bronzer will bring color back to my face.

While I like this foundation for how similar it is to the traditional Asian BB creams, the one thing I personally do not like about this foundation is that it is not lightweight; this is similar in thickness to Missha's Cho Bo Yang BB Cream. You will feel like you're wearing makeup. This probably owes to why it wears for a long time, and the thick, creamy texture will be a treat for dry skin. But because it's so thick, layering so much on (especially with too much powder over it) will make it look cakey, and for those with oily skin, this will feel especially heavy and may not wear for very long on its own.

This BB cream retails for $37 for 1.4oz/40ml of product, making it roughly the same price as some of the higher-end Asian BB creams. What I find sets this product apart besides its similarity to Asian BB creams is that it doesn't have fragrance whereas many popular Asian BB creams do, so this might be a good option for those with sensitive skin. I found that this was moisturizing and wore well for the winter, but I know for myself that this will not be the same experience for the summer. I have also used more affordable American and Asian BB creams that have worked wonderfully year-round. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this BB cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

About me: Dry/combination, acne prone skin; very pale (natural redhead). I have pinky skin with red patches and dark purple circles under my eyes, but the back of my hands and neck have a touch of golden tone. Most foundation lines do not have a shade that is pale enough. Anyway, BB creams tend to have a limited color selection, so I've been struggling to find one that is pale enough and doesn't leave me looking like a greasy Oompa Loompa.

Clinique Age Defense is a true BB cream, not just a tinted moisturizer; it inhibits my acne, minimizes red patches and serves as a decent primer for my under-eye concealer. In my case, skin needs to be properly exfoliated and moisturized before application because the product will cling to dry patches. I think that this BB cream is probably best for oilier skin types because I do require the extra moisturizer. Best of all, the color (shade 01) is pale enough; it has pink/beige undertones and tends to lean a tad grey, but I prefer this over excessive yellowness. I also appreciate the decent SPF, although I always apply additional sunscreen for maximum protection (given that I conservatively apply BB cream)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by TereH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

My experience was just like cecilelpham's review below. Very shortly after application my T-zone was oily. I couldn't handle the SPF 30 smell; usually Clinique is without any discernible smell, so I was disappointed, due to my incredible sensitivity to smells and my dependence on Clinique. I also wasn't crazy about the color. The 03 shade worked okay but it had a gray cast to it. I was afraid to buy shade 02 because it was for golden undertones and I'm neutral but look better in pinks than yellows. I gave the bottle I had after only wearing it once or twice to my niece.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 10:40:00 AM More reviews by jadedgal05

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this product! It has absolutely become my go to, cannot be without, desert island beauty product!

For starters, the coverage & it does have nice, beautiful coverage, is perfect! If I'm just out running errands I'll put this on with a little powder & go. It evens my skin out that well. It works beautifully under makeup & I've actually shelved some of my favorite primers for just this product. Though my favorite combo for makeup primer is my Clinique BB cream, shade 1 & Benefits, That Gal brightening primer. I mix the products, 2 parts BB cream to 1 part That Gal & WOW, it's a pretty finish! Although I'd only recommend this formula for gals with a fair to light skin tone, preferably 1 with a little rosiness to it, because the Benefit That Gal is a pinkish color.

But whether mixed with That Gal OR alone, I love this BB cream product! The texture is light, not greasy or filmy feeling. I understand how some of you say it feels greasy, the SPF in any product can do that but in this BB cream it's no more of a texture than other SPF products for the face but the BB cream doesn't have the stickiness or smell a lot of SPF products for the face do. The product when you squeeze it onto your fingers might look really luminizing, but it's not, no sparkling here & it leaves the skin with a nice natural skin finish that's perfect alone or under makeup. The product is light enough to feel weightless but substantial enough to cut MY facial skin (red hair, VERY PALE skin) redness.

I love that this is fragrance free & comes in a squeeze tube, not a pump. I can definitely say that my skin does feel & look better after using since February 2012. I've been using the same bottle since then & am only now about to completely run out. A little goes a long way! The SPF 35 is great & the formula doesn't feel heavy like a lot of creams of any kind that have high SPF. If your in the market for a BB cream, this one is great! You won't be disappointed!

YES, I will be buying again:)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by bonjus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The SA told me to use this as a primer, which I did. I use almost powder makeup applied with a brush on top. Wow!! So natural looking and lasts through a full workday into the evening. My very sensitive skin doesn't break out with this at all. Awesome product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by dmeira

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a wonderfull product!
It´s a great primer with gorgeous results.
And in the hot summer days in Brasil, I don´t really use foundation over it, just the bb cream.
It helps oil control and improves the look of the skin, Its a very ligth coverage but does a decent job in the summer.
Plus it has 30 SPF, wich I personally find very practical.
It holds well make up, and lasts.
My skin loves it. I bougth it for the third time!!!