July 29, 2014 | 1212 users online

Liquid - Smashbox - Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Fdt.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Christac3698

Wow, I have finally found my HG winter foundation. Last spring I switched to EL Double Wear, and knew that I had found something special. I used it all through the summer with great flawless results and loved every moment of wearing it. As the weather started to change, so did my skin (which tends to get drier in the colder months) and I noticed that the DW started to make me look dry and dull. I was super bummed, and started my hunt for a new foundation.

After doing some research and watching some YouTube videos, I tested Smashbox at Ulta and loved the feel and results I got in the store. I was a little apprehensive though because of the price and how for me things typically appear better in the store than what the results I get at home.

The next day I applied the foundation over my Laura Mercier radiance primer with my Sephora mineral foundation brush and thankfully had a beautiful flawless face! For reference my skin has dark spots and redness as well as some acne scars. In addition to that, I also have some fine lines around my eyes and deeper lines on my forehead. This did not accentuate these flaws in any way, the foundation actually blurred them.

Throughout the day, the foundation holds up on my skin and did not oxidize, which is a huge plus as well. I cannot stand applying foundation, loving it, and then a couple hours later I look like an orange disco ball. I am actually thinking about doing a YouTube review and application (never have done this before) because I actually love the product so much. I am a 2.4 and it is a perfect match for my skin (I continue to keep a slight tan using Fake Bake's flawless tanning liquid twice a week).

Hopefully this review was helpful. I will definitely repurchase when I run out. (Sidenote: I actually dropped my first bottle on my tile floor in my bathroom. The bottom cracked off and left it unusable, I went out that day and purchased a new one. LOL)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Syd1382

This foundation is great!! It doesn't make me oily and it even minimizes my oil. It has light to medium coverage but it's build able without looking cakey. It covers my breakouts when my face acts out too! I love smashbox and I love this foundation:)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Lisaachristine1

I recently switched from Mac foundations.. and I will say I haven't been breaking out as much and it has pretty good coverage, its just really thick.. overall I would buy it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by snaket0ngue

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I recently just switched to this foundation from Estee Lauder's Doublewear. I want to love it, because the shade (4.2) is absolutely perfect for me, but I just can't seem to. It exaggerates my pores and is extremely hard to blend. I find myself needing 3 pumps just to cover my face. But, I do like the packaging. I absolutely adore foundations with pumps and the bottle is slim enough to fit into my makeup bags with ease. Also, I don't find that the packaging takes up most of the space, which is the case with most high-end foundations.

To me, this foundation gives a medium-full coverage, and I just go over problem spots with a bit more of the foundation on a concealer brush. However, it just sits on my acne, which has been acting up recently, making my pimples look bigger and more noticeable. It doesn't keep my oil at bay as long as Doublewear does, but it still does an alright job.

All in all, I would say that this foundation would be good if you don't suffer from acne or very oily skin. However, I don't think it's worth the money.

EDIT: So I blended this out with my fingers and found that it was much easier to blend! It also gave a more natural coverage, more sheer to medium, and didn't cake up in my pores. It probably needed the warmth to help blend it in properly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 2:12:00 PM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd heard this foundation was good because it controlled oil without being drying. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same way, though I do have dehydrated oily skin.

I got this in 1.2, which was light but didn't seem too far off. I'm NC20-25 and I feel like 1.2 was around NC20. I'm guessing 2.1 would have been a better match but I'm not too sure.

This product has a thin consistency and I feel that the coverage is on the lighter side. I thought it was buildable to an almost medium, but there is nothing full going on here. I have plenty of hyperpigmentation issues and I was surprised to see how poorly this product covered them -- I saw blemishes peeking through even when I layered. I never try to cover everything, as that's impossible, but my usual foundations do a pretty good job of getting most of my problems. This, however, failed in that aspect. I feel like the coverage is better for evening out skin tone more than covering acne scars.

The foundation can look very pretty and natural, but of course, that depends on how much coverage you want to build up. For what I was going for, I didn't look quite as natural as I might have wanted to (probably because I had to build a bit just to get decent coverage of blemishes). The finish did look nice and smooth, and I didn't experience any accentuation of dry patches. At the same time, while this does not feel drying upon initial application, my skin did feel parched and tight after a few minutes. There is no alcohol in the formula but I am finding that there are certainly other ingredients that can lead to these types of issues (I've recently come across 3-4 products like this).

In terms of oil control and lasting power, they were okay but not as good as I would want them to be. I did get oily after a couple of hours and the foundation faded after several hours. I was disappointed to see that the product broke down around my nose and chin area around the time the oil started to break through.

Overall, a miss for me. Worth trying if you don't have too many issues to cover and aren't dehydrated.

Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Silica, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Tribehenin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Phenyl Methicone, Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Silylate, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin. May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), ILN37941.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by melissita13

I would say this foundation is more of a sheer-medium-ish coverage. Evens out the skin tone, dulls out my acne scars. I have oilier skin, and it holds up ok, i still have to blot like with any other foundation. Pretty good staying power, doesnt tranfer or rub off even after a 9 hour work day. HOWEVER. Taking it off is an adventure. The first time i took it off i used a wipe and cleansed with my clarisonic after, usually the wipe takes off most of the foundation. Not with this. My clarisonic was completely brown, has never happened to me before. So you REALLy have to cleanse. Overall it does the job for now.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by brisc

I don't recommend this foundation to anyone with sensitive acne-prone skin. I unfortunately used this foundation for a long time before realizing it was the cause of all my breakouts. Its a heavy foundation that does not cover well. After a few hours of wearing it, I couldn't wait to get home and remove it. It just sucks. The only positive thing was the yellow tone is had to it so it matched my skin pretty well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by cbm618

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with this foundation.

My skin has red undertones, is combination (oily along the cheeks and nose, dry around the mouth), and acne prone. My ideal foundation (which I've yet to find) would give me an even skin tone, not stick to dry patches, not slick right off of oily patches, and give a soft, dewy finish while diminishing the appearance of spots.

So far, this is the closest I've got to that description for a foundation. It's definitely long wearing. It gives me a nice dewy finish without looking oily. I definitely get an even skin tone, but my spots (if they're worse than usual) still show through. I do start with a green primer and concealer, so that helps give me that nice even look. I usually use a dense stippling brush and work in sections. Very nice application with that method. No noticeable smell.

My only complaint is that it can stick to dry patches and, during the summer, gets very shiny all over. Now, I admit, I can control the dry patches by being better about exfoliating, but the shiny isn't so good. I hate blotting or adding powder as my skin gets weird after (and that's with all foundations, not just this one). So, I don't blot or powder. And then I'm left with an oil slick. But, at least it stays where I put it!

Overall, it's a lot better than Revlon Colorstay (my previous HG), but as with most junkies I'm always looking for the next best thing. I'll repurchase if I can't find anything better at a reasonable price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

I really like this. I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for drugstore foundations to make a long-wearing formula that doesn't cake and dry your skin out, but I haven't had any luck with this except for high-end foundations. Good coverage, lasts a long time, allows touch-ups, has SPF and a pump! I got 2.2 and it works well for my NC25-NC30 skintone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Yesterday, I had some time before work and went into Sephora to repurchase my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet, because I didn't want to run out. The SA who checked me out, asked if she could get me a sample of anything. I asked for a sample of this. According to my Color IQ number (1Y07) I was matched to shade 2.2, so that's the one I requested a sample of.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot I liked about this foundation.

COLOR: The color was good in terms of not being too light or too dark. But I think this foundation is definitely geared towards people with yellowish undertones. My skin is light-medium with cool undertones. As a result, this foundation looked very yellow on me.

COVERAGE: Other reviewers have stated this is a medium to full coverage foundation. I don't agree. In my opinion, this gives light to barely medium coverage. Definitely not as good as my Makeup Forever Mat Velvet. I also found this foundation extremely difficult to blend. I like fast drying foundations, but this one dries almost as soon as it touches your skin. No matter how much I tried to blend it, it never really cooperated. It basically just sat on the surface of my skin. Due to a genetic disease, I have alot of redness and small bumps on my face, which make me very self-conscious. This foundation did almost nothing to cover the redness, and emphasized every bump on my face. Definitely not the look I was hoping for.

BUILDABLE: In my humble opinion, this foundation is not AT ALL buildable. One layer doesn't cover much of anything, but attempting to use any more than that makes it look heavy, cakey, and very unnatural. It took me 3x as long as normal to apply my makeup. And I absolutely hated the results when I was done. There was no way I was gong to work looking that way. So I removed it and reapplied my Mat Velvet. In my opinion, the Mat Velvet is superior in regards to coverage, looking natural, and buildability. I can't realy say if it stays on 15 hours or not, because I didn't leave it on for more than about 10 minutes. I would recommend this foundation to people with yellowish skin tones and no major flaws. But if you have any type of scars, bumps, or fine lines, I wouldn't recommend this foundation.

I'm glad I only got a sample of this rather than splurging on a full-size bottle off the bat. I'm glad I tried it, but I won't be purchasing a full-sized bottle, and intend to stick with the Mat Velvet.