August 31, 2014 | 1019 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was so excited when i ordered this foundation i ordered it in no 4 which is meant to be for pale skin with pink yellow undertones. What i received was nothing what I was expecting, for foundation that is meant to capture to pink undertones this foundation was alarmingly yellow toned. Clearly the colors are very light because this color just washes me out and makes me look like a yellow toned ghost. The foundation itself is very thick and is definitely not meant for anyone with patches of dry skin on their face. It shows up dryness to no end especially around the nose. It is not a matte finish foundation, even after powdering my face ends up looking shiny. The only way i have been able to use this is by mixing it with other foundations and even then I do not like the finish it gives. I would not recommend this foundation, and I wont be buying it ever again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 7:14:00 AM More reviews by katemvirginia

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

First off I am acne prone normal to dry skin. I'm NC20 & wear shade 4.5 & it is a perfect match! I use my flat top kabuki from sigma & it is PERFECT for this. You have to be careful when applying. This stuff dries super fast! I only do one section of my face at time. I wait to put foundation on other sides of my face until I'm ready. This blends into my skin so well. It makes me look flawless & not cakey pretty natural looking & photographs very pretty. I have pretty pink cheeks & most foundations fade by the time I leave work & this stuff last all day & is easy to remove at night! This is my new HG! I've been looking for this all my life! It comes in a smaller bottle but you are using WAY less product than you normally would. A+++++

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2012 2:48:00 AM More reviews by liseyloo

So unhappy with this foundation. I know it's supposed to be full coverage and I have clear skin, but I bought this foundation because it was the only one I could find that was light enough for me (I bought shade 02, the one after the pure white).

It gets stuck in every pore, highlights any fine hairs on my face, looks cakey no matter how hard I try to sheer it down...

The worst thing of all is it is SUPER drying. I don't even have dry skin! This is the first foundation ever to make me look like I have horrible dry patches on my chin and around my mouth, which is very puzzling to me because I moisturise religiously and only ever exfoliate with bicarbonate of soda which is not at all abrasive. I liken this foundation to the Graftobian HD Glamour Creme, which is also terrible.

Please MUA users, don't waste your hard-earned money on this overrated, over-priced product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by MoonSage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am matched to MUFE's HD Foundation in #120 (good match) and the shade 6.5 in Illamasqua's Skinbase is a really good match on my skin as well so I was pleased. I order this online at Sephora because there isn't one that carried this foundation nearby.

First-off, ah the smell. I know I read about the smell but it is unpleasant when you squeeze some foundation out. Luckily, for me, it doesn't transfer that way onto the skin. I really like this foundation. It matches rather nicely and on my cheeks, look so lovely.

BUT: it could be a little drying, I have noticed it looking a little cakey/dry-patch between the bridges of my nose and around the area of my mouth. Haven't tried it with a primer and I think I might have squeezed a little too much there. This could have been worked and figured out if it didn't broke me out. Little, nothing drastic, but around my face. Combo skin I believe: little shiny in the fore-head and nose, fairly normal through the rest of the face and dry areas are usually around the cheeks and mouth. I checked it out and it was this foundation, so disappointed this is going back. xP

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by ElectricBlack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I bought this product in SB12 since I got tired of my Chanel Perfection Lumiere (50BeigeClaire). Mind you I loved Chanel's coverage but it doesnt last on me, after 6 hours its gone and I do not like wearing primer on my combination skin since it feels too heavy.

The other con I have with Chanel was that it oxidises on me so Im done with covering my neck and face, what a waste of product.

So I went to my local Sephora in Toronto and bought this Illumasqua since it got loads of rave.

Pro: Great coverage and it lasted on my face all day.

Con: (probably not the producta fault but more the lady who matched me)...it was too damn dark! Thos foundation is also very thick and feels very heavy.

I might go back and try a different brand and also try this in a different shade. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 5:38:00 AM More reviews by sophielovesnaps

My absolute HG foundation, you only need the slightest amount for a natural yet full coverage finish and as always with illamasqua the shade range caters to my lighter than NW15 complexion!! love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by babyschla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I am NC35 with combination skin. As I get older, I've gone from wanting really MATTE make up to wanting really dewy youthful looking skin. I tried a lot of more natural products, but nothing really quite gave me that perfect, flawless HD finish that I wanted. Then I tried skin base (I'm no 9 in Skin Base). It's gorgeous! I use he laren luke foundation brush to buff it into my skin and the result is flawless and lasts all day. I love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by PrincessGizmo

It is really hard to truly find a foundation that matches my skin tone since I am a really pale ginger, but this product seems to get really close. The color is honestly what drew me to it. I really enjoy the way it feels, but it is a very heavy foundation, very full coverage. The only real problem I had with this foundation was that it seemed to make my skin a little oily, which does not happen with other products I have used. That is honestly the only problem I have with it, but is easily fixed by using a setting powder. Even though it is a heavy foundation I do not really feel like I am wearing anything on my face at all. I would definitely buy this again and recommend to others.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by LadyKolie

For Reference my skin is NC/NW 07+10 or Nars Sheer Glow Mont Blanc. I have Acne prone, extremely sensitive, combination, oily skin. I have a lot of topical and internal allergies/ intolerances.

So far I have had no immediate issue with skin reactions or acne using this foundation.

My Foundation Check List:
Correct shade match ::check
No Sunscreen ::check
Versatile Coverage ::check
Lasting (10+ hours) ::check
Good for Combination skin ::check
No reactions, acne, or topical reaction ::check
Transfer resistant :: Check
Pigmentation :: high to medium (a half a pea or a whole pea)
Finish :: demi/semi to dewy (depends on skin type)
Application recommendation :: a damp brush

I have nothing but amazing things to say about this foundation. I picked this color up in shade 3.5. I will admit when this came in the mail, I was incredibly surprised by how small the foundation bottle looked. It is 1 ounce, but it just seems so small. Granted, that means it is easily to travel with so I really do not mind. I would say this coverage is versatile and build-able. I can sheer it down to a tinted moisturizer level of coverage, or dab a little on a red stop as a concealer, both last me a ten hour day with out any issues (granted it is fall right now).

What surprises me the most about this foundation, is actually how it looks so incredibly natural. I love Nars sheer glow, it gives me great medium coverage, but I feel it doesn't look as nice when I try to sheer it down, it is what it is on my skin. Nars was the most comfortable foundation I had put on my skin, I barely felt it, but I could still feel it enough to know it was there. Only after about 10 hours would I feel like I really NEED to take it off. I still love my Nars SG, but... this is better. I applied it with my fingers first but I didn't really like how it was spreading, or not spreading. It seemed like my skin sucked up the moisture and made it a bit difficult to apply. So I dampened my Expert Face brush with a little bit of water, dotted about the amount of a pea or less of foundation around my face and blended it in. It went on flawlessly. It covered my tinge of redness, but still looked like my natural skin. It also felt like I had Nothing on my face. Which is incredibly odd, and I am still trying to get used to not feeling it.

I read so many mixed reviews about this foundation, I wasn't really sure it would work the way I wanted it too. I really was looking for a foundation that was light to medium, but wouldn't be greasy. It is inspired by BB creams, but contains no sunscreen which is wonderful for me because I am super picky about what type of sunscreen I use on my skin. I cannot wait to use this when summer comes around again. I want to see how it holds up over my sunscreen and all day in NC heat. But so far, I really really love this foundation, and it is doing a great job on my skin right now. I will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think I will break this down in to pros and cons since this product does a lot of things well, but doesn't necessarily meet expectations in other areas.

Pros:
-a TON of shades, especially very light shades
-has a nice feel on the skin
-creamy texture
-did not cause breakouts
-a little bit goes a long way
-amazing coverage and finish (like perfect porcelain doll skin)
-mixes nicely with other products
-easy to apply with a brush or with your fingers. I personally didn't like using a sponge for it all that much, but YMMV.

Neutral:
-it smells like Creamsicles (orange & cream)
-for me, the tube is VERY hard to squeeze (I have a lot of problems with my joints and the plastic on the tube is a little more rigid than I would like. The package is really pretty, however, fitting in with Illamasqua's sleek yet luxurious packaging theme.)
-not all shades are available in the US. I use 2 and 3, and they're only available on Illamasqua's site.

Cons:
-does not really wear well unless you use a lot of powder, setting spray, etc. Even then you're lucky to get 10 hours out of it. This is NOT a performance foundation for combo or oily skin.

I think that it probably does last longer on dry skin, but on the best days during the summer it only lasted about 9 hours before it started getting a bit melty. I can't wear this every day because it does not last, but otherwise I do think it is a good product. It looks very nice and it covers the redness and acne that I have very well.