December 21, 2014 | 1776 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Alicepalace88

First things first, Illamasqua has a great range of colours, particularly for pale skins. I bought this foundation in 02 and it matches my skin perfectly which is fantastic as I can not find a foundation on the high street which doesn't leave my face a completely different shade from my chest. For reference, I am much paler than an NW15, I am waiting to try the NW10.

Price - For me, this makes the foundation worth the money but unless it is due to the range of colours that is making you look at this foundation, I think you can find better elsewhere.

Coverage - Skinbase provides good coverage but can be difficult to blend so I always reach for my beauty blender when using this. It also has a tendency to sink into the pores on the side of my nose.

Longetivity - I would say the foundation does last, even up to my 16 hour days but not perfectly, I found I had to dot a bit of concealer on my nose to keep my skin looking perfect.

Packaging - This upsets me, the package is a firm plastic tapered rectangle (I'm sure there is a technical word for that) and it is rubbish. You have to squeeze the tube quite hard and it is difficult to gauge how much product will come out. If too much comes out, there is no way to put it back in as you can't twist a top off and the little sprout is far too small to push product back into.

If I can't find another pale foundation then I will probably stick with this but I do think improvements can be made.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by livelovemakeup1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this foundation (and yes I should have asked for a sample first like I usually do) on a whim. I had heard the most wonderful things about it.

As a brand, I love Illamasqua but as a makeup artist, I'm not faithful to any one brand no matter how much I want to love it.

This is really not a good foundation. On my particular skin (combination), it made me look like an oil slick. My pores looked like craters by the end of the day. And yes, I did powder my skin but the oils just kept coming!

I still persisted and gave the foundation a good two weeks trial. By the end I had about five blemishes on my face that I never had before.

About the only redeeming quality is that it blends well and the colours are great. The packaging isn't bad either. The foundation comes in a squeeze bottle which is hygienic and easy to carry around.

If this foundation works for you, I am envious.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by DominicMasters

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I thought I'd love this foundation, and I do for very limited use.

It's very thick and holds shape when squeezed out of the bottle which I like, I hate runny foundations (I'm looking at you, Colorstay!) so that's a plus point for me. The shade range is vast but as with a lot of Illamasqua products, I'm pretty sure they pay a drunk person to write the colour descriptions on their site. "Pink with yellow" - what does that even mean?

The finish isn't totally dewy, but is more dewy than matte. Some have said it controls oil well for them, but I find my nose is already shiny as soon as I've finished applying. My cheeks, which aren't oily, look lovely but my pain-in-the-butt t-zone is very picky about this foundation.

When it's buffed into skin it gives good coverage on the tone and colour side of things, but not on texture if that makes sense. Bumps and lines are still visible, but your overall condition, tone and colour appears much smoother and less flawed, but not to the point of being amazed.

However, I did accidentally stumble across the most amazing use for this product; photos. For the first time in my life I got snapped at a party and my skin looks incredible - I'd used matt primer by Illamasqua, Skin Base in 3.5 and set with MAC Studio Careblend pressed powder in Light and it was undetectable to the camera - you can't see any blatant makeup and my skin looks amazing. It certainly didn't look that good in person, but it really did earn its keep in that photo.

Ever since then I always use it for photoshoots, but I wouldn't wear it for day-to-day as it makes me too shiny, too quickly. I wouldn't dream of going near it for summer wear or for clubbing all night, but for environments like photoshoots where you can readily touch up and play around with it it's really reliable.

I don't think I'd repurchase as £27 is a lot of money for good photo skin when I paid for a foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Cayla29S

I waited on giving this foundation a review since i wanted to make sure I tested the product enough to give an honest one. I got the shade in 12 and i'm about nc44 in MAC and Toast in revlon colorstay. It wasn't too difficult at all to find my shade which was great.

Pros: Coverage is great. You can go from light, medium and potentially full (though it might look cakey if you go this far).
Application- I use a beauty blender with this. MAC 187 would probably work well too.
Consistency- Thick. You only need very little of the product to cover your face.
Spf- none. This is exactly why I wanted to try this. It looks flawless in pictures. Flash or no flash.

Cons- I have combination to oily skin. This foundation lasted on me for 4 hours max and i had to blot already. No good in comparison to MAC Matchmaster or My smahbox studio skin fdtn. This is only moisturizing drier areas of my face, primer and setting powder. For drier gals, make sure you have no dry patches when using this as it will cling to that area.
Expensive - make sure you get a sample first before you buy this.

I really wanted to like this foundation as it looks amazing in photos but this is not a fdtn I can wear for an 8 hr work day. I would be very conscious and feel the need to check my face every few hours or so. I would not even attempt to use this in the summer time.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I hate writing bad reviews, especially about newer brands. Dont jump into buying this foundation unless you get a sample first. This foundation has gain cult status very quickly because of YouTube (I think pixiwoo).

The reason why I have given this foundation such a low score is because of its colour range for dark skin. I'm an NC50, on the illamasqua website it states I should wear number 15, so I looked at number 15, was advised to go for 16. I got it put on, walked around london, it looked great, so I brought it.

I went home opened the bottle reapplied it, looked in the mirror with natural light and my yellow tone skin looked so red! I looked like I had been sun burnt!

The next week I went back was advised to go for the 15 and add some 17 to neutralise the red in the 15. I brought a sample pot from home, and the SA gave me a little bit of 17 to mix with my 15, that I had exchanged.

I got home and started to mix the colours to realise I needed to add 50-50 of each. So what do I do? Buy 2 foundations at £54 because they haven't designed a foundation for yellow tones girls or collect sample of 17 till my 15 finishes... A lot of hoop jumping for a £27 foundation

I'm really disappointed with the shade range of only pink/red tones for dark skin. They do have a 'neutral' which is 17, but it's to dark for my nc50 skin, and the 15 is WAY to pink and makes me look ill. Whats more confusing is there other lines have colours for yellow/golden tones, but doesn't give the coverage that I want.

All in all, if they have your shade, you will find this foundation has a satin finish, that sits on the skin well, it and feels light on the skin. The reason I'm marking it so low, is because of the shade range, that doesn't cater for woc widely enough like other leading brands.

On a positive note, the staff are friendly, and welcoming.

But as an NC50 I'm gutted. Do not fall for the hype like I did. Get a sample try it out, the decide.

Edit: I've taken one lipstick of because this foundation made my skin soooooo dry. I wore it for 2 days in total, and found I started getting dry pathes. my skin felt so sore. No amount of hydration/ face cream/ toner water helped. I was applying face cream 4 times a day, when that was falling, I started to use coconut oil. I was in so much discomfort that even smiling made my skin feel like it was going to split. I don't even have dry skin. My skin only started to feel like this after I used this product, and the worst thing is it lasted for about a week! I only used the product twice! .

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by jaylyn85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was so excited when i ordered this foundation i ordered it in no 4 which is meant to be for pale skin with pink yellow undertones. What i received was nothing what I was expecting, for foundation that is meant to capture to pink undertones this foundation was alarmingly yellow toned. Clearly the colors are very light because this color just washes me out and makes me look like a yellow toned ghost. The foundation itself is very thick and is definitely not meant for anyone with patches of dry skin on their face. It shows up dryness to no end especially around the nose. It is not a matte finish foundation, even after powdering my face ends up looking shiny. The only way i have been able to use this is by mixing it with other foundations and even then I do not like the finish it gives. I would not recommend this foundation, and I wont be buying it ever again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 7:14:00 AM More reviews by katemvirginia

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

First off I am acne prone normal to dry skin. I'm NC20 & wear shade 4.5 & it is a perfect match! I use my flat top kabuki from sigma & it is PERFECT for this. You have to be careful when applying. This stuff dries super fast! I only do one section of my face at time. I wait to put foundation on other sides of my face until I'm ready. This blends into my skin so well. It makes me look flawless & not cakey pretty natural looking & photographs very pretty. I have pretty pink cheeks & most foundations fade by the time I leave work & this stuff last all day & is easy to remove at night! This is my new HG! I've been looking for this all my life! It comes in a smaller bottle but you are using WAY less product than you normally would. A+++++

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2012 2:48:00 AM More reviews by liseyloo

So unhappy with this foundation. I know it's supposed to be full coverage and I have clear skin, but I bought this foundation because it was the only one I could find that was light enough for me (I bought shade 02, the one after the pure white).

It gets stuck in every pore, highlights any fine hairs on my face, looks cakey no matter how hard I try to sheer it down...

The worst thing of all is it is SUPER drying. I don't even have dry skin! This is the first foundation ever to make me look like I have horrible dry patches on my chin and around my mouth, which is very puzzling to me because I moisturise religiously and only ever exfoliate with bicarbonate of soda which is not at all abrasive. I liken this foundation to the Graftobian HD Glamour Creme, which is also terrible.

Please MUA users, don't waste your hard-earned money on this overrated, over-priced product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by MoonSage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am matched to MUFE's HD Foundation in #120 (good match) and the shade 6.5 in Illamasqua's Skinbase is a really good match on my skin as well so I was pleased. I order this online at Sephora because there isn't one that carried this foundation nearby.

First-off, ah the smell. I know I read about the smell but it is unpleasant when you squeeze some foundation out. Luckily, for me, it doesn't transfer that way onto the skin. I really like this foundation. It matches rather nicely and on my cheeks, look so lovely.

BUT: it could be a little drying, I have noticed it looking a little cakey/dry-patch between the bridges of my nose and around the area of my mouth. Haven't tried it with a primer and I think I might have squeezed a little too much there. This could have been worked and figured out if it didn't broke me out. Little, nothing drastic, but around my face. Combo skin I believe: little shiny in the fore-head and nose, fairly normal through the rest of the face and dry areas are usually around the cheeks and mouth. I checked it out and it was this foundation, so disappointed this is going back. xP

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by ElectricBlack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I bought this product in SB12 since I got tired of my Chanel Perfection Lumiere (50BeigeClaire). Mind you I loved Chanel's coverage but it doesnt last on me, after 6 hours its gone and I do not like wearing primer on my combination skin since it feels too heavy.

The other con I have with Chanel was that it oxidises on me so Im done with covering my neck and face, what a waste of product.

So I went to my local Sephora in Toronto and bought this Illumasqua since it got loads of rave.

Pro: Great coverage and it lasted on my face all day.

Con: (probably not the producta fault but more the lady who matched me)...it was too damn dark! Thos foundation is also very thick and feels very heavy.

I might go back and try a different brand and also try this in a different shade. :(