Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.5

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

My skin is oily and prone to breakouts. This doesn't stay and after 2-3 hours, it gets oily and I could see patchy of foundation missing when I was blotting oil off my face. Upon application it looks cakey. I use the beauty blender. It has no issues with other foundation. The color is nice but not the quality

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my current go-to foundation for foolproof success. For reference I'm ~Nc25-30 with peach undertones, dry skin, PIH, melasma, and the occasional hormonal breakouts. I wear sunscreen every day and moisturise before applying Base makeup, day or night. Foundation is the most 'make or break' part of my makeup routine so I am reviewing this in super detail - sorry for the length!

Pros:
* Perfect shade match (this is so rare for me) with light-medium honey. The line focuses on undertones as well as shade so chances are you'll find a close match.
* Medium-full buildable to full coverage without looking cakey.
* Natural finish even when layered. It's off-matte bordering on satin. Mixes well with luminizers for more glowy finish (I recommend Becca SSP or MAC strobe cream to brighten it up if that's the look you're after)
* Creamy texture that spreads easily, blends smooth, doesn't streak and is so easy to apply.
* a chickpea sized drop is ample for face and neck and applied with a paddle brush or beauty blender gives full cover, or a buffing brush or fingers for a little less. It all works with no hassle. I could probably apply this with confidence in the dark!
* Can be worn without a primer and doesn't settle into pores. I've never used a water based primer with it so can't report on that, but goes well with silicone based primers like ELF, Laura Mercier and Baby Skin.
* Layers equally nicely under powder and even over powder (ala Wayne Goss method)
* Doesn't accentuate large pores or dry patches (for me - cautionary warning that many dry skinned users have reported that it does so test first if possible!), nor does it settle into fine lines under my eyes.
* Packaging is easy to dispense, sanitary, travel safe, and stands upright. I've never had the formula settle or lose its texture in almost a year. Best of all you can cut it open and scrape out every last drop unlike many of the bottled foundations.
* Removes easily with a gentle cleanser if wearing alone, but I usually have layers and eye make up so I go in with an oil cleanser most of the time.
* SPF 15 without flashback in photos. I'd still recommend wearing a better sunscreen under it though as you'd have to really pile this on to get the full SPF 15 advertised, which is pretty measly anyway.

Cons:
* Doesn't last 12 hours. It starts fading after about 8 but I live in a year-round humid, tropical climate so that may impact longevity
* It doesn't completely cover my darker melasma patches like some of the heavier full covers, (eg. EL double wear, NARS ADLW or Marc Jacobs marvellous mousse) so I still need concealer, but in Tarte's defense the feel is less heavy and finish more natural than the other three so that's a con I can easily live with.

Foundation is such a devisive product and I've tried upwards of 30, but from a utilitarian standpoint there's heaps of pros that outweigh the couple of small cons, so this is my HG for now. While I will stay on the seemingly endless hunt for the perfect formula for me (surely it's out there?!) this will be repurchased as 'old faithful' because it's so nice to my skin and that's a rare praise for my hard-tasked foundations.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I keep going back and trying this foundation again because people seem to love it, but it doesn't work for me. The color match was excellent (I have the lightest yellow based shade - I forget the name - and am usually between a NC 10-15) but the formula just doesn't work on my skin. It's thick and has a silicone/paste feel to it, and doesn't glide on well. I can see it being good for someone with oily skin, but it tends to emphasize my dryness and by the end of the day looks like a total mess on my skin. On the plus side, it does not break me out and looks nice when it's first applied.

I honestly love this foundation. I wanted something that would last me through prom, concerts, and my workdays. I work retail, so I don't have time for constant touch ups. Paired with Makeup Forever's face primer for dry skin (I have some dry patches), this lasts me all day and then some. It never creases or gets patchy. Although my T-Zone can get a little oily, it never gets too bad with this product; nothing a little powder with initial application couldn't fix!) I also have acne, and I've noticed it's gotten slightly better since using this product. I've already repurchased once and will most likely continue to do so.

Sooooo drying on my skin. Actually had to return back to Sephora. I'm sure it's great for oily skin and I could tell it was pretty full coverage, but trust me if you have dry skin it will cling and look very dry.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Love it. It is the only foundation that I will buy. A little bit goes a long way. I have had no problems with breakouts or anything like that. It blends nice and it doesn't feel heavy.

I love this stuff. Not my first high end foundation, but by far my favorite. It blends great and covers nicely, but it never looks unnatural on my face. It stays on nicely especially if I prime beforehand. I'd recommend this for someone who likes full coverage but also likes to put other products on top like powder and needs their foundation to not cake up.

This foundation is a dream come true for oily-skinned individuals. Those with dry skin beware; the Amazonian clay will not do your skin any favors. When I bought my first tube back in 2012, there were only five shades. I would describe my skin tone as being between medium beige and light tan... my shade match was tan-deep which was the second to last deepest shade in the range. Since then, the range of shades has expanded. The consistency of the product is something I've never encountered before in a foundation. It's thick, but it also has a whipped texture. It is deceptively easy to apply, but you must apply it quickly because once it's on, it's not coming off. I have hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, and with this foundation and a dusting of loose powder, they are barely noticeable. It wears incredibly well and I can attest to the fact that it did not slide off my face during the humid Midwest summer months! It kept my face matte for a few hours, but I had some oil breakthrough by midday. However, I have yet to find a miracle product to keep my face shine-free all day without blotting so no lippies will be deducted. If you have oily skin and a need for a long-lasting foundation, then by all means, give this a try.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

love, love this. this foundation is matte, i never have to set it, also sometimes i wear it without a primer and it sticks and feels verly moussey. only con is that it sometimes breaks me out. overall amazing and has spf!

first impression, the shade selection can be overwhelming, but I found mine in light-medium beige. when I put it on, I haven't even finished blending it into my skin yet and it was already a perfect match. OMG! the texture is a little thicker than I liked, and I have combo skin so on my forehead where it is slightly oily, I think this will be very good and I will add a drop of oil to this before applying it to my cheeks, which makes it apply SOO smooth, and you only need a tiny amount, which is really good, imo. I waited for a long time to buy this foundation as it was a bit pricey to me, and I finally splurged on it. the size of this is 1.7 oz so it does make me feel better about spending the money, bc foundations usually come in 1 oz sizes update: so anyways i tried it more in depth and i really like the performance of this foundation, it just looks really natural for such a full coverage product. and it can be sheered out or built up even more on trouble spots.. a definite winner

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown