April 20, 2014 | 1409 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by superluminal123

I really wanted to love this foundation! The ingredients are great and what not but it was mostly a miss.
I apply with a damp beauty blender
Pros:
Neat packaging with a squeeze bottle
Good ingredients

Cons:
Not good for dry skin- accentuates dry patches and can look cakey
Did cause minor breakout

It does seem to melt into skin after a certain period of time though! I don't like it very much and will not be repurchasing but it works well enough where i can wear it for special occasions. I feel bad because it was quite pricey!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Samha246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this foundation for so long, but when I finally bought it, I was so disappointed. It did not go on smoothly and looked cakey around my acne. Though the color was the perfect match for my yellow-light skin tone, I had to return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Makingupmeg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I first discovered Tarte this last summer at Ulta, foundation is one of my makeup essentials. I have pretty oily skin in the summer, normal in the winter. I wanted a foundation that didn't break me out, offered great coverage and wasn't made with a bunch of chemicals--your skin absorbs anything you put on it! The sales rep that helped me pointed Tarte out to me, color-matched me to Light-Med Sand which was an exact match for the summer (Light Neutral for winter.) Since I've been using this foundation for six months I have an honest opinion about it: It's worth every penny of that $40. This makeup blends into my skin like butter, lasts all day, doesn't break me out and makes my skin look unbelievably flawless--I get compliments for once about my skin! I don't have a problem with my oil breaking through either, especially since I first purchased this in July so the summer could put it up to the test. The key to using full-coverage foundation is to layer! Don't squeeze out a huge blob, apply small amounts and layer more only where needed. I like to use my foundation brush from the Coastal Scents brush set, followed with my flat-top buffer brush to blend everything in. A little bit goes such a long way with this makeup, which pays for the price! I get the occasional breakout, but I've noticed my skin clarity has improved since using this foundation! I have finally, after countless bottles and tubes, found my holy grail foundation!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by hippychic823

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ran across almost a half a tube of this a few weeks ago when cleaning out my makeup drawers and couldn't remember why I quit wearing it (I had purchased it last winter) so, I decided to swap my usual foundation for this for a week and see how I liked it. Well, after just a few days of wearing it, I realized why I quit wearing it....IT BROKE ME OUT!!!! I had five huge cystic like pimples and had changed nothing in my usual routine other than using this foundation. And, having struggled with acne my teenage years and the better part of my 20's, now that my skin is finally clear, anything that causes me to break out in cysts is an absolute no go!!!! But, aside from it breaking me out, it just looked HORRIBLE on me. It made my skin look super dry, which is strange cause I'm typically pretty oily. And, because it made my skin look dry, it made me look like I was about 10 yrs older...it sunk into every little fine line I had, and even caused me to look like I had more fine lines and wrinkles because it would crease around my eyes and mouth and nose when I smiled or talked and it made my pores look huuuuuuuge. I mean, they're big anyways but this made me look worse than I do with no makeup on!!! As for application, this comes out of the tube with an awesome mousse like consistency which seems like it would be fairly blendable. Wrong. Application is hard. This stuff is THICK. It goes on thick, cakey and mask like. I tried using my fingers to dab and pat it on, tried buffing it in with a flat top kabuki (that was the best application method, btw), tried using a stipling brush, tried a traditional paddle foundation brush and tried a Beauty Blender...this stuff was just thick. And, despite the thickness and the cakey look it gave, the coverage was light to sheer. I get better coverage from my NARS Tinted Moisturizer. I get better coverage and better look from drugstore brands than from this. For the price and for the hype, I was highly disappointed. I would not repurchase...I would rather go bare faced than wear this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by makeupenthusiast1994

When it comes to foundation, I switch yearly.
Lately I've been on the hunt for a good liquid foundation, and when I went to sephora, the SA pointed me towards tarte after I told her I have acne prone skin and wanted something that's less likely to break me out.
When she applied this on face, it went on so smoothy and felt so light afterwards-yet it gave pretty good coverage!
So far, this hasn't broken me out (I got one pimple-but thats probably due to me switching from a mineral powder to a heavier liquid), and lasts me around 6-8 hours, though I do get a bit oily in my t-zone.
Because I have acne scars and discoloration, I use topical creams and something similar to Retin-a, and this does tend to cling to drier spots IF you dont moisturize and prime PROPERLY. I moisturize and then follow w/hour glasses primer serum, and even though I have dry skin, you can't tell :) And for girls with acne scars like me, this does give more of a medium then full coverage. I apply this with my beauty blender, then conceal w/ Nars radiant creamy concealer and it covers my imperfections pretty well!

I'd suggest to girls with dry skin looking for a good foundation-try this out but beware, you do have to moisturize properly or this foundation will accentuate your dry areas.
Overall, I probably will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by jade3399

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am on a journey of seeking a holy grail of foundation and may have found it. I have very oily skin even during the winter time. I was trying out various foundations all of which were totally wrong for my skin. The foundations that were sold were too hydrating for my skin and were mostly for dry skin. Within an hour of application my face would be so oily I would have to constantly blot and by the end of the day, I had no foundation left. Very frustrating. I found someone at Ulta that wasn't just in a hurry to sell something but took the time to explain the difference. Foundations with illuminating effects, etc., were totally wrong for my skin type. I am not just oily in t-zone, I am oily all over. She suggested Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation. OMG, it works. Beautiful full coverage that lasts all day. My oily skin is kept at bay. The trick is to apply it with a foundation brush. The Sigma foundation brush is what I use. You don't even need a setting powder. I still do use the IT cosmetics high definition pores powder and am totally in love with my skin again. The finish is flawless, oil is kept at bay, and looks beautiful! Its been a long journey. I still have to blot but at least five - six hours later. I definitely suggest this product. I may have finally found my holy grail.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 6:18:00 AM More reviews by radnan16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is the best that I've used so far. It doesn't last the full 12 hours for me, but it does last about 6-8 hours without looking gross. It didn't make me break out. This is a medium to full coverage foundation; it's buildable. It sets matte.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by mcooney1983

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got the Amazonian clay foundation bc reviews suggested it was good for sensitive skin and its hydrating. I have super sensitive skin and in these winter months it gets dry. The reasons I love this foundation are..... they have a good selection of fair shades, it lasts all day, its more of a full coverage foundation, its thicker about applies very well(I use a brush), a little goes a long way, price is $36 which I think is pretty reasonable, and it doesn't break me out. I also like how it doesn't enhance my drier skin. I will definitely be buying this again!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

On QVC you get the foundation and the big brush to apply for the same price other places sell the foundation alone for. I think the brush makes all the difference in applying this makeup. Perfect pair! I think that is perhaps why some folks do not like it. Get the brush! It's full coverage and it lasts even without a primer. If you are oily, this will help, but a primer should probably be used as well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by sonicRED

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation didn't work at all for me. I really like the Amazonian Clay tinted moisturizer as well as the pressed powder, so I bought this without fully trying it. I'm not one to let makeup go to waste, but I can't get through the bottle.

This product does not work well with dry skin. It's way too thick and mattifying, and it lives a powdery finish the sits on the skin and highlights imperfections. The closest match for me was a bit lighter than my skin, which was a mistake - it makes me look super washed out, but I'll put that down to user error.

Typically with thicker foundations, I'll mix a little vitamin E oil to get a better finish and moisturize my dry skin, but that trick doesn't work too well with this foundation. I can get it to look okay if I also mix in a little of Elf's tinted moisturizer (which also helps with color), but it's not ideal. This foundation doesn't mix well with others.

I think for oily skin and maybe someone with smaller pores, this product could work well. The texture is really nice, it stays put, it's vegan with not too harsh ingredients, and the finish could be desirable on a different skin type (it finishes as if you've already applied powder). Not for me, though.