Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 35 PA+++

3.8

on 3/12/2014 12:06:00 AM

I bought this a while ago, maybe about 2 years ago just as I was getting into the whole idea of BB creams. I had the Missha one which was my holy grail for a while before it ran out and I didn't have access to it anymore to buy.

I bought this on my last day in Hong Kong, and using up my dollars before leaving. I bought the Light shade, which is pretty good match for my skin, I'd say around NC20-25/GA LSF 4.

When applied I found that the texture of this was really shiny and oily on my skin and I really don't like it. I was about the give up on it the first time I applied this, but when I put on my powder it set wonderfully for some reason. It looked so natural with the powder, something I had never experienced before. I know I have raved about natural looking make up but this was a whole other level, there would always be a line where there a face can look a little bit matte or too something that makes it look like there is foundation on the skin, but this one didn't have any of those. For the first time I felt like this looked like skin on me.

My only grip with this is that it doesn't last on me. I don't have the oiliest skin type to make it melt off of me, but for some reason this just does not stay on me. So for that I will enjoy it while it lasts but for now, I won't be repurchasing this. Its a shame though because I do like it, but I can't wear it on days where I am out the house for more than 6 hours, which is practically never. I'm not the kind that can apply a new face of make up halfway through the day, I need my make up to last me from morning to evening with minimal problems

on 3/2/2014 5:30:00 PM

In the past, I have never found a BB cream that catered to all skin tones, not even Asian BB creams and I'm Asian! (Filipino). BB creams in Asia have limited or just 1 shade and mostly too fair/light for my medium/light tanned complexion (for ref: "NC35-42" roughly in MAC, "tan deep sand" in Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation in summer, "tan" in Tarte Beyond BB Perfecting Foundation, "40-50 beige" Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation). I was skeptic about Western BB creams as I heard that the coverage/consistency isn't the same as Asian BB creams. I currently use Tarte Amazonian Clay 12hr Full Coverage foundation but because Tarte isn't available in the UK, I wanted to use this foundation sparingly or on special occasions (excellent product which I've also reviewed on MUA). I also wanted to look for a light coverage tinted moisturiser/BB cream. When I heard about Bobbi Brown's new BB cream I couldn't wait to get a sample of it. I was colour matched to "medium to dark" which was a good match for me. It was almost an exact match to my skin tone which is quite rare! I did notice it slightly oxidized but wasn't too bad and gave a nice light bronze/glow to my skin. I like the fact that it has a yellow undertone which is perfect for my Filipino complexion. As far as I'm aware, Bobbi Brown didn't claim this to be a long-wearing BB cream, however the longevity of this product is great on days when you want natural/light coverage and going out for 4-8 hours. I have combination (oily t-zone, normal-dry cheeks & chin) skin and this BB cream did a good job in terms of staying power between 6-8 hours on my skin. Maybe even more longer for normal and dry skin. It doesn't control shine (but all foundations never do for me anyway) and I find that I get oily on my t-zone between 1.5-2 hours with this particular BB cream. I do touch-up 1 or 2 times within a day which doesn't bother me as I only use this if I need a bit of coverage on days I want that "no makeup" makeup look. In terms of coverage it is between sheer light to light medium which is quite good. Obviously a concealer well help for acne and dark circles. The consistency of Bobbi Brown's BB cream is thick, creamy and leaves a soft matte finish and after an hour it gives a nice natural glow. I always set this with a dust of loose powder on my t-zone and a little bit on the rest of my face. I really love this product because it looks so natural and is very lightweight. I use my fingers or a damp sponge or my stippling/buffing brush (by Real Techniques) to apply this and works well either way. I do feel that I do need to moisturise my face before applying this as sometimes I do feel dry which defeats the purpose of a BB cream. However, I do want to make sure my face is fully prepped before makeup by always moisturising my face and apply a foundation/face primer on my t-zone. Overall an excellent product! I highly recommend this if you have normal, combination, oily skin. If you're willing to splurge on a good quality western BB cream then please do give this a try :) Hope this review helps!

on 2/28/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I got a sample about a week ago the department store and I was very pleased. I got the shade dark and the match was very on point. I like the creaminess to it and blends beautifully. Has a nice natural finish. Coverage I would say is light to moderate. Works for my combination skin. Definitely will be purchasing!

on 2/28/2014 5:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was really excited to try this. I'd been using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua and even though it's a wonderful foundation, I was bored and wanting to try something new. So there came Bobbi Brown BB cream. Firstly, the consistency is thick and drying. This is definitely a NO for dry skin. I feel like you should use a stippling brush to blend this out. In overall, the coverage it gives is decent enough, but it's quite thick and not very natural. It is also quite flat, without any luminosity or dewiness. It's probably good for TV appearances or when you need flawless coverage, but for an everyday I wouldn't recommend this. Also, I kind of suspect it is breaking me out. I've been getting acne since I started using this. This is surely a NO in my book.

on 2/22/2014 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I used this all summer holidays in "light". I was lucky to have five weeks off (woo hoo) with the kids. I definitely didn't want to use foundation so started using this. I am a foundation junkie but unfortunately many will cause breakouts over time (GA Lum Silk 4 , EL Futurist Beech, Faas 02, MAC NW20...). What I loved about this BB cream is that over summer people were commented on how good my skin looked!
I didn't break out at all even though this is prime pimple time. It gives very slight colour but enough to look "healthy". It protected against harsh Sydney sun (unless swimming). This is one of those stealth products that you don't look immediately in the mirror and go wow (eg GA Lum Silk) but is a great every-dayer.
After cleansing, toning and serum I use this. It gives me enough moisture though I can have dry/combo skin. For any trouble area (under eyes) I just use concealer.
I use it for the gym too. LOVE!

on 2/15/2014 5:25:00 AM

Love this BB cream. When buying I was slightly concerned as I have oily skin and was worried about shine. However this topped off with my mac mineralize skinfinish natural looks great! Coverage is good, obviously not a full as a foundation but enough for days you don't want a full face of make up. Sometimes I may have to top up a bit of powder if oily but would recommend.

In the summer of 2012, BB Creams were just becoming really big in the United States, and being the makeup junkie that I am, I bought into the hype right away. At the time, I was starting Accutane and had acne that was out-of-control and skin that was constantly red and painful. I knew that no foundation would cover up all the problems I was having, so I gave up on makeup for a while. I was looking for a simple product that would even my skin tone out a little, diminish redness, and not irritate my already upset complexion. I decided that BB Creams were my calling. I did a lot of research and tried a lot of products before settling on Bobbi Brown's version.

So began the most passionate love story of my life: mon amour, my love, my first everything, my first tube of Bobbi Brown BB.

Ever since, there has not been ONE DAY I haven't worn this, unless I had the flu or for some other reason didn't leave my house, wash my face, or take a shower at all that day (read: gave up on life). It is practically a part of who I am at this point. I have sent a letter to Bobbi Brown begging them to never discontinue this because I don't know what I would do without it. I've bought at least seven or eight tubes by now and I'll continue to buy it until it's no longer available. I have honestly no desire to try any other foundation products. "Holy Grail" doesn't come close to describing my relationship with this product. It is more like my soul mate. If it were a human, we would make sweet love together every night, laugh at all the same things, go out dancing to salsa music, and be so cute that all our friends hated us.

It took a little bit of getting used to, but so does any product. I'll admit that my application method is fairly unorthodox and would not work for most people, but it is a match made in heaven for my post-accutane, Sahara desert dry skin. I speculate that this would also work for people using topical retinoids.
To prep my skin for the BB cream, I oil cleanse with castor oil before applying CeraVe AM lotion mixed with a salicylic acid moisturizer of my choice, to exfoliate flakes. I don't wash off the castor oil before applying my moisturizers -- that's the trick to making my pores look tiny and the surface of my skin look smooth. The combination of the slightly slick texture of the CeraVe AM over the castor oil base is a perfect canvas for my BB Cream. The oil soaks into my face during the day and melds with the BB Cream to become one beautiful and natural-looking case of complexion perfection.

I always use another SPF underneath this even though it has pretty good sun protection, but only because I'm really anal about never having wrinkles and keeping my skin protected against hyperpigmentation. I'm sure for most people the SPF in this is good enough by itself. I'd also be willing to speculate that those of you with oilier skin types may not even need any other moisturizer underneath this, depending on the climate you live in. In my experience it is great at controlling oil because I slather a bunch of it on my face in the morning and by evening, I look "dewy." I only do this because if I didn't slather a bunch of oil on my face in the morning, by evening my skin would be crusty, red, and chapped, but I have an abnormal level of dryness caused by harsh acne meds, so YMMV.

What I possibly love most about this product is the color. I wear the Extra Light shade, and it's one of the only BB Creams I've tried that isn't sickeningly PINK. I'm VERY fair-skinned, and VERY yellow-toned. MAC's NC10 is way too pinky-orange for me. It's hard to find foundations light enough for my skin that are either neutral or yellow enough. Bobbi Brown BB Cream is WONDERFULLY YELLOW. Cool-toned girls, don't fret -- my NW15 sister also loves the Extra Light shade because the yellowness has a neutralizing effect on her warmer skin. Everyone wins.
One thing I've noticed along the way is that when I first open the tube, the product is very yellow, but by the time I'm finishing up the last bits of product, it turns to more of a neutral shade, which is fine, but I think the cream oxidizes a bit in the tube as you use it. Not a deal breaker by any means, but something to note.

I use about one tube every three months, but I am a very heavy user and sometimes apply multiple layers of this per day. In terms of brushes, I've found the best application method is using the Urban Decay Optical Blurring brush (or one similar) and a stippling method, but I use a BeautyBlender. It is extremely buildable. One layer is light-medium coverage, two is medium-full. If you want to apply two layers it's best to wait a long time in between. For example, if I know I'm going out that night, I'll apply one layer, go about my day, then apply a second layer when I start doing my "night look" makeup. It does not look cakey when you do this. I can attest to that. It actually looks better than applying one layer of a full-coverage foundation because with two sheer coats, the nuances of your skin can still be seen, but they're so blurred out that you look basically perfect.
I find that I look most beautiful when I apply this, take a nap, and then apply a second layer about an hour later. (Why? I don't know. It's just one of those weird things you pick up on after religiously using a product every single day for a long period of time)

Bobbi Brown BB Cream is super long-lasting, but the great thing about it is that when it does start to wear off, it just looks like you're not wearing any makeup. I can sleep in this and it doesn't irritate my skin. In fact, my skin is more reactive if I don't wear it for a day. I think it does have positive, balancing effect on my skin.

In a sentence: this is the HG foundation product for me and my skin. YMMV, but it's a wonderful BB Cream I'd recommend to anyone.

on 1/31/2014 4:50:00 PM

I love this bb cream, it is the first bb cream that i feel lighter than cc cream but also has a good coverage. Compared to the Clinique CC cream - which I had terrible experienced, I was eager to try this one as well because of the reviews but I decided to try it and it's just amazing , I have combination skin , it's tend to get oily than regular but that's fine because i just blot it . I got a deluxe sample which is 15ml, I think it will last me like a few months because I don't wear bb cream often. I will think if I need to buy it again because i know it's quite expensive .
Pros
- Medium coverage ( fade my scars and smooth out my skin texture )
- natural looking , absolutely non-greasy
- a little goes a long way
Cons :
- Expensive
- after around 3 hours I have to do touch up with it.

on 1/23/2014 10:32:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Fabulous product! This is everything I wanted Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser to be! And as a HUGE plus, it contains beneficial ingredients to skin e.g. antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients. It is also fragrance and alcohol free, great for my sensitive skin.
The finish is so natural - it looks just like healthy, hydrated skin with a slight glow. I would say the coverage is light-medium but it is buildable and easy to blend. I find the lasting power amazing - it lasts until I take it off basically! Also, it does not oxidise.
I have slightly oily (combination) skin that is very breakout prone and I have had no problems from this in that respect. I study ingredients for any hint of comedogenic ingredients and there are no offenders here! I have NC25ish skin with slightly golden/yellow undertones and use "Light" - my sister who is slightly fairer with more pink undertones uses either Light or Fair.

on 1/12/2014 2:52:00 PM

Color Range: I just finished my first tube of this BB Cream, which lasted about six months if not a bit longer. The range of colors is not as good as her foundations and while Extra Light looked good on me, I feel it was a bit darker than my skin color, maybe it would be better for Warm Ivory users.

Coverage: The coverage was nice, not heavy but it did cover my redness and minor imperfections, for new breakouts I needed concealer but considering this is a BB Cream and not a foundation I expected this. Great for everyday use, school, work, etc. One of my friends uses the CC cream from Clinique and her skin looked great, almost as if she was wearing nothing so I might try this product next, but sometimes is difficult finding a good color match with Clinique.

Skin types: I have combination skin and this BB Cream worked great in the summer, in winter I started using a light moisturizer underneath and the dry patches in my skin starting looking more pronounce. It lasted most of the day for me, when the oil started to surface it looked radiant rather than oily so that was nice. It's oil free so anyone who has oily or combination skin can use this product without a problem, people with dry skin might not like it or will need to use a very good moisturizer before applying the BB Cream.

In general, I would say this product is more beneficial for people with oily skin, who are looking for a light-medium coverage, and don't mind using concealers for breakouts or other more pronounced imperfections.