August 21, 2014 | 1575 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Perfect Refining Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 2:13:00 AM More reviews by womanwarrior

Shiseido makes some of the silkiest, most finely milled foundations out there. Perfect Refining Foundation is my favorite foundation right now. I always wished there was a less greasy, non-high SPF version of the sun foundation that comes in the turquoise bottle that looks like their sunscreen. Well, Perfect Refining Foundation is pretty close. It's very liquify and you need to shake the bottle and apply a little at a time. It provides pretty full coverage for such a runny product.

Like other reviewers, I found this oxidized a bit after a few hours. Then again, I got the I40 shade, which is slightly too peachy for my NC35-ish Asian skin. I might try O40 to see if that works better.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 7:41:00 AM More reviews by loverlover1328

I have Asian skin with very yellow tones (especially on neck and chest), and I always buy fdtns which are super yellow because my face sometimes throws a bit of pink and I have to counteract that.
Enter Shiseido.
I was reluctant to try this fdtn because it is not oil free and for a person who was acne prone for years, that is a big no no.
Still, I had tried EL DW, Nude, and a bunch of others, and they simply didn't give me the colour I wanted. So I finally tried this and am so glad I did!

The colour is literally perfect, I wear O60 in summer. In this fdtn, O means ochre so yellow based, D = dark brown, W = warm so pinky toned, I = ivory (fair neutral) and B = beige (medium neutral)
The product is touted to erase skin roughness and I must say it smooths out the skin whilst at the same time making imperfections and blemishes disappear! Very natural finish. I don't have a problem with it oxidising, but in summer it does get a bit oily. I would not recommend that you add the matching powder to it, because I find that makes it worse. Add something like the MUFE HD powder after blotting. This is not best for oily skin.

Some reviewers have complained that the packaging is cheap looking - I LOVE IT. Its light, travel friendly, chic, simple. No chance of smashing it, the lid is secure and clicks into place, I don't have to worry about screwing it on too tight. Its a standard 30mL in a nice small bottle so it won't take up unneccessary room in your makeup bag! Overall I hope they don't change the packaging at all. *EDIT I will say that this fdtn requires shaking, and when you open the bottle (even upright) some of the fdtn will start coming out of the top. Slightly messy.

This is a relatively pricey fdtn AU$70 so I bought it off eBay! A little goes a long way but $70 is still excessive, even though its so fantastic!

More about me:
Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
Was acne-prone for years
Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink
MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60, BeneFit Beige, Bobbi Brown #4, MUFE Sand/Desert
Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by ThinMinti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have two shades that I mix for when I tan and when I am lighter in the winter. This stuff dries out my skin so that I have to mix a bit of moisturizer in with it. Oh, and you can see this foundation on the skin-sort of cakey. Not when you mix it tho. Colours are nice and yellow based for my slightly olive skin. Nice bottle with a tiny squeezy that gives just the right amount. I have given up on finding a perfect foundation as I do not believe there is one out there. It is your skin that makes all the difference in how your skin looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by hudrum

This is a great foundation, I think the shade I have is a little too dark for me and I will be exchanging. But for texture and coverage, I have been really impressed. It gives a matte finish and feels comfortable and light on the skin. Coverage is medium and it's highly pigmented, I just use a drop or two depending on how good my skin is.
It stayed put all day on my combination skin. I have to use primer, powder and blot through the day but that's the case for all foundations for me.

I like the packaging as it's easy to travel with and hygienic.

It is relatively expensive though, I'm not sure I love it enough to repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by HRenfrewgrl

I would just like to say before I start my review, Shiseido is the only brand that carries a foundation that really matches my yellow skintone (020). Having said that, unfortunately this foundation oxidize on me and turned orange and a few shades darker within an hour! I was really sad because this foundation felt really nice and light on the skin while providing a good coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Ardybobardy

This is a good foundation, good coverage and colour for me. Stays put (especially if paired with a primer). The only down side with me is that it is very matte. I always have to pair it with some sort of illuminating product or highlighter otherwise my face looks almost flat (and I don't have a flat face) on the look out for something different but until then I am very happy to stick with my Shiseido B20. By the way, it lasts forever..... you need so little and the packing is very practical.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by bellsie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this foundation, it only works for me if I apply with a brush, otherwise it just seems to disappear. Coverage is surprisingly full, but with a really natural look. It doesn't last all day on me, but nothing ever does so I expect that. I think it's more of a winter make up for me as it does look better set with some powder. I love the bottle, it's tiny, unbreakable and dispenses a good amount of product. I I'll keep buying until I find something better. I paid $83 nzd, so not the cheapest.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by luxlover79

I love this for its lightweight feel, non-oily texture upon application, natural finish & decent coverage. It feels & looks like I'm not wearing foundation. I guess the liquidy consistency contributes to that, it's not thick that tends to cake nor dry up the skin. My face felt so smooth! Staying power on my oily combination skin (without blotting) is 5 hours. But with powder touch ups, this does excellent job for me coz it doesn't dry up my undereye area & the fading is even. I don't end up with faded oily nose as the makeup wears off on that oily area. Packaging is very compact, very convenient to carry around. 'Will repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 2:23:00 AM More reviews by rkamada02

After all these years, I have finally found a foundation that I really love. A couple weeks ago I went out and tried this foundation in I40 and fell in love. It leaves my face with a really SOFT matte finish and my mom swears it looks like I don't have any makeup on. My skin is really sensitive so it gets red easily from the sun, pollution, and acne and yet this foundation is able to even out my face and give the illusion that I have perfect skin!! When I went to go try out this foundation there was not a Shiseido representative available so a lady from Clarins helped me out and applied it for me. While she was applying it, her mouth dropped and said "WOW, just a tiny bit of this foundation covered your whole face and you look beautiful!" She loved it on me so much that she bought a bottle for herself, right then and there!
My skin, for the most part, is normal with an oily T-Zone and there has never been a foundation that doesn't leave me looking a bit shiny after a couple of hours. Except with Shiseido's Perfect Refining Foundation! I put this on in the morning and when I go to wash it off at the end of the night, I can honestly say my makeup looks the exact same! Im not shiny, the color hasn't oxidized and my face hasn't turned red! The bottle is really tiny but says its a full ounce so I will see how long a bottle actually lasts me. I do wish I could see how much product was left inside but thats a negative I am willing to live with. Today I went out and bought another bottle because I was told it was going to be discontinued! That's crazy! I really didn't like Shiseido's Dual Performing foundation and the Sun Protecting Liquid Foundation made my skin look extremely dry with flakes everywhere, so I have no idea what I am going to do when they don't make this anymore. I feel like I have tried SO MANY different types of foundations and this is the only one that I really like and have bought another bottle of. Guess I better stock up so I can keep fooling everyone that I have flawless skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by eyeheartyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I quite like this foundation. It's very liquidy... almost watery and that made me a little leery, but it turns out its wonderfully pigmented. I usually use about two small drops and it covers my entire face well. I uses O20 and I think it matches my skin very well (although it will look incredibly yellow coming out of the tube). If you have dry spots make sure you exfoliate because this will definitely accentuate any and all of that. Its weird some days it seems to control the oilies well but on other days it does absolutely nothing.