Shiseido Perfect Refining Foundation

3.7

Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 1.9%; Titanium Dioxide 4.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Nylon-12, SD Alcohol 40-B, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Glycerin, Iron oxides (CI 77492), Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Iron oxides (CI 77491), Polyglyceryl-2 diisostearate, Xylitol, Erythritol, Sodium Glutamate, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum hydraoxide, Aluminum distearate, Alumina, Disteardimonium hectorite, Iron oxides (CI 77499), Triethoxycaprylylsilane, PEG/PPG-36/41 Dimethyl Ether, Polysilicone-2, Vinyl dimethicone/methicone silsesquioxane crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene glycol, Tocopherol, Zinc oxide (CI 77947), Mica, Dipentaerythrityl hexahydroxystearate, Barium sulfate, Sodium metabisculfite, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Paeonia Albiflora Root Extract, BHT, Methicone, Dimethicone/methicone Copolymer, Tetradecene, Benzoic acid

on 12/17/2012 2:24:00 PM

One of my favourite! I like the pigmentation. It covers very well, but as it is liquid, then you dont get this heavy feeling and you really just need a little amount of the product.
It may get a bit shiny during the day, so you need some powder. Other than that, it has this mild illuminating effect, and makes my skin look very healthy and smooth.
The packaging is simple, but very convenient - no heavy bottles to bring along with you. I travel a lot, so this is very important that my make-up stuff wouldnt weigh too much, or take too much room. Best packaging that i have seen for a foundation.
So only negative side for me is the need for powder touch-up during the day.

on 12/12/2012 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Went to sample this at Macy's yesterday in the quest for a new foundation as my Bobbi Brown standby for the past few years has been discontinued. I'm very fair with neutral undertones, and I've used Shiseido's Dual Balancing in the past. I thought I could get a good color match in this, and the coverage sounded closer to what I was getting from BB.

Nope! All the colors have a yellow cast. Unnaturally yellow in the 00 intensity. Couldn't get a color match on this. Too bad! If you're considering this one, try and get matched in person -- the colors are not one-to-one matches with the other Shiseido foundations.

Worst foundation I have ever tried. The thing is, it looks beautiful on but it gave me the worst skin. I have clear skin and having worn this for a couple of hours, my skin broke out like crazy and it dried out to the point where I didn't think it would recover (it did though!) I ended up returning this, and I blame the lavender oil in this, which causes irritation when in contact with the sun. Bottom line: looks lovely on, but terrible for the skin!

on 11/30/2012 3:58:00 AM

I really didn't have any reason to buy this foundation because i already owned quite a few. It was one of those horrible urges! Anyways, this isn't probably the best foundation for combination/oily skin. It doesn't stay matte and needs loads of powdering during the day. Coverage is good but you really need to have well moisturized skin because it doesn't spread well on those dry areas and emphasizes them. All in all it's not very special foundation and i'm not buying another when i finish this one. The colour 100 is quite a good match for my light yellow toned skin although i orinally wanted O00. They just don't sell that colour in here.

on 11/12/2012 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this one after i gt the powder version. I got the O60 Thought this will be good for winter when my skin is more drier. I find it hard to blend on dry areas like my nose as it refuses to smooth out. If I blend too much (with either brush, sponge, hands,etc) my skin gets kind of flaky. Once it oxidises i find that its a bit too white for my skin colour. A bit disappointed with the product.

on 10/10/2012 2:13:00 AM

Shiseido makes some of the silkiest, most finely milled foundations out there. Perfect Refining Foundation is my favorite foundation right now. I always wished there was a less greasy, non-high SPF version of the sun foundation that comes in the turquoise bottle that looks like their sunscreen. Well, Perfect Refining Foundation is pretty close. It's very liquify and you need to shake the bottle and apply a little at a time. It provides pretty full coverage for such a runny product.

Like other reviewers, I found this oxidized a bit after a few hours. Then again, I got the I40 shade, which is slightly too peachy for my NC35-ish Asian skin. I might try O40 to see if that works better.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I have Asian skin with very yellow tones (especially on neck and chest), and I always buy fdtns which are super yellow because my face sometimes throws a bit of pink and I have to counteract that.
Enter Shiseido.
I was reluctant to try this fdtn because it is not oil free and for a person who was acne prone for years, that is a big no no.
Still, I had tried EL DW, Nude, and a bunch of others, and they simply didn't give me the colour I wanted. So I finally tried this and am so glad I did!

The colour is literally perfect, I wear O60 in summer. In this fdtn, O means ochre so yellow based, D = dark brown, W = warm so pinky toned, I = ivory (fair neutral) and B = beige (medium neutral)
The product is touted to erase skin roughness and I must say it smooths out the skin whilst at the same time making imperfections and blemishes disappear! Very natural finish. I don't have a problem with it oxidising, but in summer it does get a bit oily. I would not recommend that you add the matching powder to it, because I find that makes it worse. Add something like the MUFE HD powder after blotting. This is not best for oily skin.

Some reviewers have complained that the packaging is cheap looking - I LOVE IT. Its light, travel friendly, chic, simple. No chance of smashing it, the lid is secure and clicks into place, I don't have to worry about screwing it on too tight. Its a standard 30mL in a nice small bottle so it won't take up unneccessary room in your makeup bag! Overall I hope they don't change the packaging at all. *EDIT I will say that this fdtn requires shaking, and when you open the bottle (even upright) some of the fdtn will start coming out of the top. Slightly messy.

This is a relatively pricey fdtn AU$70 so I bought it off eBay! A little goes a long way but $70 is still excessive, even though its so fantastic!

More about me:
Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
Was acne-prone for years
Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink
MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60, BeneFit Beige, Bobbi Brown #4, MUFE Sand/Desert
Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

on 9/11/2012 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i have two shades that I mix for when I tan and when I am lighter in the winter. This stuff dries out my skin so that I have to mix a bit of moisturizer in with it. Oh, and you can see this foundation on the skin-sort of cakey. Not when you mix it tho. Colours are nice and yellow based for my slightly olive skin. Nice bottle with a tiny squeezy that gives just the right amount. I have given up on finding a perfect foundation as I do not believe there is one out there. It is your skin that makes all the difference in how your skin looks.

on 8/26/2012 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a great foundation, I think the shade I have is a little too dark for me and I will be exchanging. But for texture and coverage, I have been really impressed. It gives a matte finish and feels comfortable and light on the skin. Coverage is medium and it's highly pigmented, I just use a drop or two depending on how good my skin is.
It stayed put all day on my combination skin. I have to use primer, powder and blot through the day but that's the case for all foundations for me.

I like the packaging as it's easy to travel with and hygienic.

It is relatively expensive though, I'm not sure I love it enough to repurchase.

on 8/11/2012 12:19:00 PM

I would just like to say before I start my review, Shiseido is the only brand that carries a foundation that really matches my yellow skintone (020). Having said that, unfortunately this foundation oxidize on me and turned orange and a few shades darker within an hour! I was really sad because this foundation felt really nice and light on the skin while providing a good coverage.