December 17, 2014 | 1765 users online

Lips - NYX - Soft Matte Lip Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 5:25:00 AM More reviews by Behemath

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!! I can't rant and rave about it enough! At first I bought SMLC in the colour Antwerp, which is a lovely natural colour of pink, and I fell in love with it after one application, so bought another SMLC in the lighter pink colour Istanbul. It glides on so smoothly, and the finish is flawless. The texture on your lips really looks like you are wearing no product at all, it's great! However if you do want it to appear more glossy, you could always apply a little lip balm or gloss on top. I really cannot get over how good this product is. It looks great, feels great, smells amazing and has reasonable staying power too. The only thing that I could criticise about NYX's SMLC is the packaging, which looks a little cheap and basic, much the same as their packaging for most of their other products. But this is just a very small downside, and I would highly, highly recommend this product! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2014 12:18:00 PM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a big fan of these! I bought the color Tokyo, which is a light bubblegum pink, and I am very pleased with it. I have a fair/light complexion (NW15) and am somewhere between a pink and neutral undertone and this color looks great. I am very happy with the texture of the cream. It can apply clumpy so some blending is needed, but that is not hard to do. It is the only lip product I've found that actually stays on my lips even through eating and drinking. Plus, its one of the very few lipsticks I can stand to wear without feeling cakey and dried out. I like to pair this with the NYX chunky dunk lippie. They go very well together and give me a natural semi-gloss looking color rather than layers of lip product. I don't even need to use lip liner which is a plus and another step I can remove from my makeup routine. Overall, I am really happy with this matte cream and have already planned to buy a few more colors.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Syababy06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love it so much! They smell really good like vanilla scent. They have various shades if colors and when you applied the texture is creamy which I like. The only problem is if you have chapped lips don't even use it because it will cracked on your lips!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2014 7:43:00 PM More reviews by yuwannano

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have these in Copenhagen (burgundy), Abu Dhabi (beige nude), & Monte Carlo (blood red). Love them all! They smell wonderful and are long lasting. You can also use this as a top coat for your creamy lipsticks to make them matte as well. They're drying but if you exfoliate and but a balm on beforehand you'll be fine. Well worth the $6.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2014 7:51:00 AM More reviews by OnlyLuxe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I specifically purchased this because I had been wanting to try Hourglass's Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick and this seemed like an excellent dupe with good reviews. My experience was less than satisfactory. I got it in the color monte carlo and at first really loved the color and finish, but I bought it specifically to wear to my graduation. What a mistake! (to try a new product for a big day) I hated it. It dried my lips out so bad and the product is definitely high maintenance. I made it to my graduation and everything was ok, but as the next two hours proceeded where I couldn't have my purse or mirror to check up on my lips I could feel my lips getting dry and cake-y. I knew something was wrong but I just hoped for the best. When I could finally go check my lips (after several pics along the way of course) I was horrified! The color was in patches all over my lips and practically flaking off. I was very disappointed to say the least. During the time I had it on, I didn't eat or drink anything. I feel like a lip product such as this should be able to withstand a few hours of wear, especially if nothing passes by your lips. Needless to say, I'm terrified to try it again in a situation where I actually can keep an eye on things. I've decided though, it probably would have been fine if I would have put some balm or gloss over the top, but that totally defeats the matte finish :(. Bottom line, I'm giving it three lippies ONLY because I only tried it one time so far and it was an awkward situation, but from my experience, this product isn't as great as the hype would make you think. Beware if you try this product. Do not use it on a special day the first time, and maybe let go of the idea of matte lips and throw some balm over the top of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by monica3210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These smell delicious :) too bad they look bad on me. I love how they feel when I put them on, so creamy! I would prefer if these weren't matte and if they stayed with that creamy finish. These make my lips look really flat with no dimension. I'm not sure if this is just because I have thick lips and it's more noticeable or if it just doesn't work for me. These are also quite drying and my lips hurt a bit after wearing them for a couple days (I put a gloss over them to get rid of the flat look). I gave these a three because they smell nice and I enjoy the feeling of applying them when it's still wet.

EDIT: I have made these work. I put a lip balm under (usually Vaseline lip therapy) then place the cream on top. I then pat it with my finger to get rid of the excess that is making the color uneven. Applying it this way saves my lips from hurting. Patting also helps the cream from emphasizing any lines in your lips. However, applying it in this manner puts a bit more shine into the product. It's not shiny, but it's not super matte like I mentioned in my first review. This is a plus for me because the super matte effect made my lips look really weird. This way puts just enough "moisture" appearance back into the lips to have them appear healthy. It also takes longer to dry on the lips so it will still feel quite creamy because the lip balm underneath is keeping it from drying (I imagine this also depends on the type of lip balm you use). I raised my rating from a three to a four and said I would buy again (however there is not that many shades sold in stores that flatter my skin tone).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2014 9:13:00 PM More reviews by jssiee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had heard so many raves about this so I had to pick this up (I got Istanbul) even though nyx isn't super readily available around me (Canada). I don't think that just because a product is more expensive it is better but in this case the more expensive a liquid lipstick has been the better it has worked for me. I also have the stilas liquid lipstick and armani lip maestro (basically liquid lipstick). They all have the same concept, a liquid opaque lip colour that dries matte on lips (I've reviewed the other 2 items as well). Only this one wasn't opaque... I applied 3-4 layers to get it to be fully opaque. It felt drying and settled into my lip lines. Honestly this performed poorly even if I'm not comparing it to mid+high end products. I do have other drugstore lip products and I've never disliked one as much as this. The texture left much to be desired. Even though it was a nice colour I don't think I will ever use this product, I wish rexall (where I purchased it from) did returns.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by snazzyjazzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Maybe I got a dud? I snapped up NYX's Dark Purple on a whim, after seeing glowing reviews. And I can't express my disappointment enough. The colour is very sheer and patchy, and I found it difficult to build up the colour. It didn't dry/set (but I thought it was supposed to?), and felt rather like a 'mousse' product that wasn't meant for lips at all. I'll probably come back and try to get it to work, but for now I'm just glad I'm only $4 out of pocket.

ETA: Okay, so I tried it again. I get it now! I applied a thinner layer this time and left it to set for a good 2 minutes before trying to add more. It does have a matte finish, but the dark colour means it settles into the natural creases in your lips and it also shows wear very quickly. I think a brighter colour might last better, though I'm keen to try this underneath a dark lipstick to see how it stays.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by SkullGlitter

I really like the Soft Matte Lip Creams. The color selection is good, the smell and taste are very good, the color payoff is excellent, they stay put over a lip primer for a few hours without eating and/or drinking, and they don't continue to dry my already chronically-dry-and-chapped lips.

They don't replace long wearing lipcolors for longevity but they are just as pigmented as them. While they aren't moisturizing, they don't dry out my lips more just by wearing them. The color selection was decent before spring 2014, but became good with the extended color line. I recently picked up Stockholm (mid-toned beige pink) and was surprised to find such a good neutral for my pale skin and auburn hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 12:03:00 PM More reviews by rEMemberMepls

First of all I want to say that I adore these nyx soft matte lip creams! I have it in six shades which are antwerp, addis ababa, san paulo, abu dhabi, london and stockholm. Lets start of with antwerp which is a pinkish corally shade if you ask me, it is a very flattering color for an Nc 20-25 although I also used this on an NC30-35 skin tone and it looked gorgeous! It brightens up the complexion in an instant and looks very natural and can never be overdone. This particular shade is the first one I purchased because I read about many raves about this particular shade and it certainly lives up to my expectations because this is my favorite shade among all.
The next two shades I bought at the same time is Addis ababa and san paulo. Addis ababa is a bright blue based fuschia color which is pretty similar to Mac girl about town althought the finish is different. The mac one has an amplified finish compared to it. This color is great if you want a very fun color and something different from the same old red color. This is the only shade in the collection which i saw very tiny blue sparkles. It doesnt bother me it even adds that glamorous effect. San paulo is a color i find hard to describe it is like the color of the natural lips when they are pigmented. It is pinky but a dark pink red. Sorry for that. Many youtubers liked this color but I dont gravitate to this color that much and I barely used it but dont getme wrong its a pretty color just not me. Maybe because on days I want to look natural i reach for antwerp, on days I feel down and lazy I apply antwerp, on days I want to look fresh I use antwerp, on days I want to look fun and elegant I use Addis ababa, so theres really no place for san paulo in me.
Next color is abu dhabi which is the darkest shade in the bunch. This I wasnt really fond of because it made me looked to old or mature. I dont think its very flattering on me and so I gave it to my mom and she really enjoyed it haha.
Second to the last is london which is the second darkest brown with a hint of pink but barely noticeable. I liked this shade better than abu dhabi but I wasnt sure if this was the right nude color for me and which leads me to the last color I bought in the shade stockholm. I love stockholm, its the perfect nude for me. It is similar to london but the pink in it is more visible but it registers orangey on my sweet pigmented lips haha!
To sum it all up, these are inexpensive lipsticks creamy on application so its easy to apply but dries up very matte. I is a bit drying though but exfoliating your lips before application could help. It could adhere to dry patches but compared to the other lipsticks i have these are tolerable and not quite noticeable. They smell very vanilla they said but when I first got this I immediately thought of chocolate :p the packaging is sleek the top is matte like nars packaging which easily gets dirty but nothing a little baby wipes cant fix. Overall I love it and I will definitely repurchase more than my Mac lipsticks :)