April 17, 2014 | 1879 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by graceholliwell

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Unlike others I actually really love the pop-up. I think the New York City-inspired design is beautiful!

On to the palette - the colours have a range so that you can choose to wear the bright, loud colours or the more neutrals and they're all so easily blendable that you can create either a daytime or evening look. I won't lie and say there's no fallout - there is, but if you use a slightly damp brush, you can eliminate most.

It's my first UD palette and I absolutely love it. In my opinion it's well worth the price: the colours are beautiful and blendable and the palette can be used for day and night.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2011 2:58:00 AM More reviews by theresadactyl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a great palette! It is the perfect mix of bold colors and neutrals. Some of the colors are so unique.. it's amazing to find something that isn't similar to something I already own! The eyeliners are beautiful, although they don't have any lasting power. I would recommend this if you're just starting out with makeup and want an awesome assortment of fun colors. The packaging is bulky, the pop up is juvenile. I wish it was in a sleek palette for travel, but who cares! This palette is amazing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2011 6:49:00 PM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I Love this palette. I also have the Naked and I have become a huge fan of UD !!!!! Colors are creamy and pigmented, plus they last all day. Would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shar4nyc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely Love it and cannot wait for the next to come out!
The quality of the shadow makes a huge difference and applies very well, esp with the included primer. A must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by XxOmgItsDaraxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this palette! I think the price is great for what you get. Sixteen amazingly pigmented and smooth shadows. Two deluxe sized 24/7 liners and a mini UDPP. I own other palettes from NYX, Coastal Scents and BF Beauty that I rarely reach for. Just too lazy in the morning to play with my eyeshadow but lately I've been using this palette and loving it. These are the first eyeshadows that I bought from Urban Decay. At first I was put off by some of the shades that were glittery but I usually apply those with a stiff, damp eyeshadow brush to prevent fall out and it works well. I love UDPP that was one product in this palette I own in the XL version. I tried Zero before in a smaller sample and loved it. Ransom I had never tried before but I love it, its a medium pearly purple with a blue sheen. Now to the shadows.
Perversion: only matte shade in the palette. Its a matte black thats very pigmented and blendable.
Uzi, Kush, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Money, Maui Wowie, Bordello and Snatch are all shades with glitter. Again I apply those wet and it prevents glitter fallout. Bordello is my favorite from the glittery shades.
Loaded, Last Call, Rockstar, Haight, Smog, Radium, Suspect and Psychedelic Sister are all shimmery shades. Not glittery or overly frosty. Psychedelic Sister is a bit pearly too. Overall this palette is amazing and I would reccomend to those who want to play with more color or just want some quality shadows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2011 3:11:00 PM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first BOS by UD and I must say I love it. I wish I got the Alice in Wonderland because that palette had most of my must have e/s from UD.

The packaging is really cute and colourful. The pop up scene and mirror is neither here nor there with me. Its sort of bulky too, so I dont see myself travelling with it. The drawer with the shadows rub against the top compartment so some of the e/s colours do rub off slightly on on others. I like that's its cardboard. I really appreciate that type of packaging. Plastics tend to chip and the hinges that secure the lid usually breaks.

The colour selection is vivid and alive. I love neutrals but having brighter shades included encourages imagination and experimentation. I wished painkiller, mildew and baked were included but it was nice having some exclusive shades included.

I know pple complain about UZI, MCRA and Maui Wowie but I don't care. Uzi is sort of too much for me but the others I use. I really love MCRA. This is the 2nd palette I own that has this e/s and I really am happy with it. Yes is there is fallout, which I wouldnt pretend wasnt there. But its not embarassing glitter that cannot be removed. What I do not recommend is putting this near your inner corner, your just asking for trouble.

I really like this palette overall and UD has really won me over with their pigmentation, silky texture and colour selection. Cant wait to make another UD purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by cookiemunchkin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's been a while since I bought a pre-made palette, but this one just stood out to me so I bit the bullet and bought it. I'm glad I did! At first glance, the colors all look very loud and hard to wear - but its surprisingly easy to tone these down for an understated look with a touch of color. Of course, if you like to wear loud makeup, its equally easy to make these colors really stand out on you too. The shadows are all so pigmented that anything really is possible! As someone with darker skin, I find that there are a lot of eyeshadows out there that can look chalky when applied -- not the case with any of these though.

All the shadows in this book are very soft and very easy to blend. The liners, I could live with or without, as the 24/7 liners dont last very long for me.

I only give this an overall rating of 4 out of 5 because of the choice of shades in here. I'm not crazy about glitter (though a lot of people are), and while I dont mind microglitter that stays on your eyelids, I absolutely can't stand chunky glitter that ends up under your eyes as the day goes on! There are 4 shades in this set that fit that description, and if they absolutely have to be there it's not the end of the world - but it wouldn't have been hard for Urban Decay to put those 4 shadows right beside each other in one corner of the palette far from the darker and matte shades. Uzi right beside Perversion just makes no sense.

Price is great - 16 shadows, 2 liners and a mini primer potion all for basically the price of 4 shadows! That one is a no-brainer.

The packaging needs to be worked on, in my opinion. I dont really care for the pop-up display, but it doesn't make much difference to me whether it is there or not. My biggest issue is that when I am sliding the eyeshadow tray out of the box, some of the eyeshadows end up rubbing against the case and crumbling, leaving streaks of color all over the place! Easy fix if Urban Decay just underfills each eyeshadow pan a little bit OR changes the design of their packing though.

Overall, great set that I'm glad I snagged while I was able to.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by babyax3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got this as a Christmas present from my best friend, I thought that I wouldn't get a chance to get this seeing that all my Sephora's ran out of it. But I really like this palette, it's my first BoS. The colors are all very shimmery but I don't mind. There's a lot of greens, pinks, and purples in this palette, but with the right amount and if you wear it the right way, then it looks very unique and wearable. It's a great value and I'm happy with it!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by emmawonderface

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Sure it's cute and all. And the pop up thing is cute. But if you already have the Book of Shadows Vol. 2 and the Alice in Wonderland palette, you don't need this. Needless to say they usually have the same eyeshadow colors as the last one they brought out. I will be returning this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by Magixz

I decided to get this palette for my Christmas present this year. ;-) I have a lot of UD palettes but this is my first Book of Shadows volume. I could not pass up all the newer shadows & since it had a smaller Ransom pencil & primer & I got it for 20% less, well it was a no brainer! I love it! The shadows are intriguing all by their self. I went through all of my UD palettes & compared the colors with the volume 3 before I decided to buy. There are a few colors that always seem to be in any of their palettes and a part of me wishes UD would start leaving a few of these out and add some different ones. ;-) I mean how many Urban Cowboy's, etc. shadows do we need after all? Okay so some of them are a little different by adding glitter, but basically they are the same. LOL I know they add the duplicate colors in order to say, "Hey, you get 16 shadows!" but come on. I would have bought it with just 8 or 10 shadows of all the newest colors, as I think most UD lovers would.
I actually think the case is cute, okay cute, but I am not that crazy about it. New Yorker's, sorry, but I rather have a pop-out of another fairy tale if I have to have one. LOL The pop out is not why I bought this palette and I really do think it cost more for the design of this box even if UD says it does not. I gave it a 5 on packaging because I love it that the shadows are hidden inside their own protective compartment.
Of course, I cannot speak volume enough about the quality of the UD shadows! They are among my very favorite shadows, as far as, how great they last & how vibrant the colors are. They go on smoothly, blend beautifully, and the color stays as true from when I first put it on as to when I take it off. I always feel sad when it is time to take off my UD eye makeup. ;-) Seriously though, unless I have done a bad really job of applying my eye makeup for the day, I really do hate taking UD off when it is time for bed. It still looks so fresh & vibrant, it's almost like wasting good makeup to have to take it off, but what the hey, it will be more fun redoing it tomorrow with all these lovely new colors!