October 25, 2014 | 1111 users online

Other - Braun Epilator

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2008 11:05:00 PM More reviews by xfoxglove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This review is for the Xelle Silk-Epil epilator. I bought this on amazon when I lost my Emjoi epilator. I was kind of miffed at forking over 60 bucks for this thing (20% off on black friday), but ever since I got it, I am so glad I lost my Emjoi.

I tested this out on my arms. I have blonde hair on my arms, which I don't need to get rid of, but I just prefer it to be gone. I was shocked that with one small swipe there was a clean patch of skin! With my Emjoi epilator, I had to stay on the same spot for a while, using circular motions and it would still miss some hairs.

This thing has some great features. The built-in light is genius and it helps you make sure you haven't missed a spot. And the head with the massagers seemed to help, it might have been me thinking it would, but there was less pain for me. I'm not saying this is pain free though!

There was only a slight stinging on my arms, but when I tried my legs, where the hair is coarser, the pain was more intense. But honestly, that's in the nature of epilating! The product is supposed to be ripping out hair, so I just take a deep breath and tell myself to buck up! The results are so worth it!

The only think that bothers me is that it's a bit noisy. Less noisy than a hairdryer, but I probably won't use it if my roommate is in the apartment.

In general, with epilating, my hair is growing back finer. I don't think that plus is specific to this product as mine grew back finer with my Emjoi, but it's definetly a plus! And when the hair grows back it's not stubble, like when you shave.

I would repurchase if I ever lose this one, but I honestly hope I never do! I'm so pleasantly surprised with this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/11/2008 12:39:00 AM More reviews by prmami212

I have to shave my legs every 2 days so after reading these reviews I bought the X'elle Silk-Epil epilator. The pain at first was quick intense, not to mention the fastness of the little machine scared me ****less. I used a body scrub to exfoliate my skin the day I epilated, the next day and the 3rd day to prevent ingrown hairs. After using it and getting most of my hairs, I was quite pleased. I didnt have to shave for a WEEK! However...

When my hair started growing in, some hair grew faster then others and I had quite a few in grown hairs that I had to use tweezers to pull them out and dig deep to point of bleeding. I couldn't show off my legs because of the ingrown hairs and the scabs I had looked horrible! I tried using the epilator 3 more times and exfoliating & not exfoliating and the same results!

In my case, each time I didnt grow hair back for at least a week BUT I had ingrown hairs and horrible looking legs for at about 2 weeks. So not worth it. I'm going to stick with shaving and waxing. WHAT A WASTE OF $75!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by theramenninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the X'elle Silk-Epil epilator.

Question: Do you like extreme pain?

If your answer is 'yes', please buy this epilator.

Ok, so i HATE SHAVING MY LEGS. it takes forever, i waste so much water, razor cartridges, and shaving cream that i dread doing it, and i always miss spots. the stubble drives my boyfriend mad. it is important to note that i am a very hairy individual (ugh, genetics) and i have a LOT of hair that's pretty dark and sort of thick.

so... i decided to buy this device. i thought to myself "hey, i can handle a bit of pain... i'm a big girl." OH BOY WAS I WRONG. ok, so i took two vodka shots and chugged a large glass of wine before starting, so i was a bit relaxed... I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SO MUCH PAIN IN MY LIFE. (i'm only 22, but still)... i cant describe the pain. it's so unholy... so unreal... it feels like a burning stinging zapping ripping horrid foul... etc... i started crying (well sobbing hysterically) after i finished half a leg . . . there was an attractive mixture of sweat, tears, and mucous running down my face. luckly that darn epilator is so loud none of my roomates could hear! but... now I AM NOT HAIRY ANYMORE! oh sweet baby jesus i dont have to shave every week and my hair is softer and soon i will permanently have far less. i found that if you take two midol before you do it, it's much easier. bottom line: GET THIS EPILATOR! suffer the torture. you will become stronger and less hairy. VICTORY!

UPDATE: the pain is too much for me. i've gone back to shaving :( oh well.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2008 3:43:00 PM More reviews by acp534

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this would work great for some people but not for me. first off i have really thick leg hairs and white skin. Epilating my legs is torture! it hurts so bad! and it leaves ugly red dots all over my leg for a day or 2. oh and the ingrowns are intolerable. But thats just me. However for the armpits i reallly like it. yeah it hurts there but i got used to it and it doesnt leave that dark shade under your armpit like when you shave. i wouldnt personally purchase it again, but it can defitnetly work well for alot of people

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

NB: This review is for the Xelle Silk-Epil epilator

I'm still learning the trick of this. You're supposed to hold it at a 90 degree angle from whatever surface you're epilating, but sometimes the hair grows in odd directions and requires you to sort of jab the thing down while doing short strokes (did that sound a little dirty to anyone else?) Like: Down, short stroke, up. Depending on the way in which the hair is growing, you might have to change the direction in which you're...er...stroking. I also found that I had to go over certain patches to get every hair. The little built-in light was a stroke of genius and works perfectly at illuminating every last little hair, though I'd still advise you to use this in bright daylight.

I felt hardly any pain while I was doing my legs, just prickles, nothing dramatic. I also felt very little pain when I was cleaning up the fuzz around my naval. But armpits? Yowza!! I have a really high pain threshold and it took all my self-will in order to fully epilate each underarm. It's a really tricky operation and if you have someone who would be willing to assist you, then by all means, use him/her/it. The trick is that you have to hold the skin very taut to prevent loose folds from getting sucked into the epilator AND to make sure it cleanly plucks out the hairs. But it's damned near impossible to hold your own armpit skin taut and epilate at the same time. So it will inevitably be painful and involve a little blood. I didn't do anything special to heal my armpits, except avoid irritating them further with shaving. The upshot to this misery is that your pits will stay smooth for much, MUCH longer than if you shave. When I shave, they are smooth for maybe two days at the most, before stubble starts coming in. I epilated my pits a week ago and fuzz has only just started to reappear. I tried the bikini area and couldn't bear it (and yes, I do home bikini wax regularly so I'm used to pain).

This is really noisy (not as loud as a blender or vacuum cleaner, maybe as loud as an electric pencil sharpener or hairdryer). The cord is pretty long. I think this fits nicely into your hand and is quite simple to operate. I would probably repurchase if something happened to mine. It's a huge convenience if you need to get rid of a little stubble or fuzz but don't have time to shave or wax. I'll update in a few months to let you all know if the hair is growing back sparser and finer like some have described here.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2008 10:06:00 AM More reviews by melg_1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product falls into the category of "why did i wait so long to get this". I absolutely love it. I am totally new to epilating and haven't waxed before, so the idea of not having stubble, ingrowns and constant upkeep is thrilling. The first time I used this in the bikini area was, not gonna lie, painful. By the next time, I had way less regrowth (about 75-85% less) and wasn't nearly as bad. Now, the small amount of regrowth comes back as wispy hairs, not stubble, and are quick and easy to touch up. I also use this on my underarms which can require some maneuvering to get it all, but it's well worth it. I use the homemade tendskin recipe (found on MUA) and no ingrowns! IMO, this has made hair removal completely bearable.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2008 8:46:00 AM More reviews by savethemarianne

I have the Braun Silk-epil soft perfection epilator (it's lilac) and have been using it for legs and armpit hair removal for years. It comes with a cleaning brush and a mesh bag and a starter set (less blades and massage head) and precision set (more blades for faster hair removal and head designed to be closer to skin to lift shorter hairs).

I haven't tried Phillips' ice style ones but I heard from a friend they were way more painful so went straight in for this. I prefer epilating over waxing because with strips they kept missing one or two hairs, which got annoying. You never miss anything with an epilator and you don't have to wait for the hairs to grow long (as you do with waxing) because epilators work better with shorter hairs. It costs a hefty amount but I'm dead certain I've spent less than my waxing/shaving housemates who buy 5 boxes and 10 blades once a month or so. I paid 40 for mine and haven't had to spend a penny more since.

One con is that the finish isn't as smooth as shaving, so if you're fussy about smooth legs, epilating probably isn't for you. However, epilating has the same main advantage as waxing over shaving in that the hairs become finer and slower growing over time, whereas shaving increase hair thickness.

The big pain question: I don't find it at all painful but I have thin and sparse hairs, I think the pain varies with each individual as everyone has different sensitivity and thresholds, so I'd probably advise trying a friend's epilator on your legs a bit first. It is pretty normal that it's a bit scary the first few times, but your skin should get used to it. No one can tell you for sure if you're going to find it painful. I actually found armpits completely 100% painfree from the first time, but I have very few armpit hairs so I'm guessing it's related to that. Legs took me a few epilations to get used to!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2008 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Mathilde10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Ok, I'd rather wax probably, but it's too messy and I'm too cheap to get it professionally done all the time. So this is the perfect tool for me and others who are like-minded, don't want to be a slave to shaving, and can stand some hurt.
LEGS:Great since you can just touch up whenever a few hairs grow in. I'm nearly always smooth legged.
ARMPITS:Ouch! I'm not going to lie. The first time, it hurt..a whole lot... It took me an hour to do it because it hurt so much. And my armpits were sore the next day. However, the hair doesn't really grow back in unison, so like the legs, subsequently you just quickly touch it up and this hurts a lot less. Plus, you really do get used to the pain (or maybe you just psych yourself up for a lot of pain and get a surprisingly milder experience).
This is quite a cost effective alternative to waxing. However, you must be tolerant of pain and remember to exfoliate.
Also, make sure you MOISTURIZE generously because in-growns will appear if the skin is too dry and taut. Moisturize! Even your armpits!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2008 3:20:00 AM More reviews by cocofabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have piercings & tattoos-a-go-go, and I have NEVER experienced pain like this. I was nearly crying! I had regrowth after a few days & even with daily exfoliation I continued to get ingrown hairs. Days after epilating I still had those little red bumps which are so unattractive! I went back to shaving after a few weeks of trying - I really wanted this to work.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by tito_barf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A lot of other reviewers have covered everything you'd want to know, so here are my 2 cents:

--the second time is less painful, not due to tolerance but due to less hair. The more hair you have grown out, the more tiny pricks you feel. If it hurts a lot, try again in a couple days--you'll have less hair to pull out!

--it does not give me smooth legs. Leaves a lot of tiny hairs, a lot of broken hairs. The slower you go the better.

--What hair I have is less thick, sparser.

--bikini line (edges) is tolerable. Full-on assault is horrible. I tried the part directly below my stomach and YEOUCH! But I have never waxed there before--maybe after I had a couple of waxing sessions I could stand it.

--It gets a 3 for inability to give me smooth "freshly shaven" legs, but a Yes for reducing the amount of hair significantly. I can go several days without anything & you can't see it.

--Bloody heck it is loud. Earplugs baby!