Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner

4.3

water/aqua, ammonium styrene/acrylates copolymer, butylene glycol, alcohol, beheneth-30, phenoxyethanol, acrylates/octylacrylamide copolymer, methylparaben, polyglyceryl-3 disiloxane dimethicone, propylparaben, sodium hydroxide, disodium edta, may contain ( /) carbon black

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had a gift card at Christmas (interesting story, right?) and was looking for a liquid liner pen, since I'd gotten bored with various pots of cream and gel that were struggling to match my army of battered liner brushes of various shape and fiber. Spend two minutes on the internet looking at liquid liner pens, and one thing occurs: this Stila pen is positively ubiquitous. So how could you go wrong? Smudgepots were a revolution de maquillage way back when, so clearly the company has the edge.

I purchased it in black. I like clean, starkly black lines. For one thing, the finish is glossy. That would not be such a deal breaker, but the formula is not so opaque. "Shiny graphite" is how I'd describe the first pass. Several refinements and swipes later it is decently inky, quite opaque.

The staying power is moderate to good. It does not dry so fast that I cannot fix it with a q-tip if I f**k up, but it does dry and set pretty quickly. Yet, if you are doing a wing, and you have eyes that are deep-set to any degree, your wing will bleed a little after several hours. Also, my lids are not THAT oily, but I have an oily complexion. Do not accidentally touch your eyes if you've been wearing this all day- it will travel, transfer, pack its' bags and head southward.

The tip is flexible and felt, tapered to a fine point, and performed well the first few times I used it. It quickly began to fray and mess with my specifically- trained hand action (all cat-eye aficionados develop this intuition), leaving tiny fiber imprints outside of my line, and microscopic dots at the end of my wing. So I snipped a few millimeters off of the tip with my hair-trimming scissors. This is where a two-lippie review becomes a three-lippie. NOW, I have a stiffer, more precise instrument that distributes product more fluidly, and a bit thicker. Of course that means I am using more, but liquid liner pens tend to dry up before you're ready to let them go, anyway. I cannot advise anyone who buys this to immediately snip it, but if you have a fibrous, frayed end, go for it, just be veeeery careful.

I have many more liner pens to try, and this was not a waste by any means, but it is not all that it is purported to be.

on 3/3/2015 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My friend gave me this product because she was testing out different liquid eyeliners and found this didn't really work for her small eyes. I have been trying it out for the past 3 or 4 months and still feel iffy about it. I love how opaque and black the color is and how long it lasts on the eyes but the applicator is just a tad too large. It works well for regular liner but once I want to create a wing, it's too chunky and doesn't make a smooth, thin line. It also is very wet which is impressive still after 4 months of use! I used to hate felt tip liners because they dry out very quickly but I was impressed by this one. I wouldn't pay twenty bucks to repurchase it, there are much better ones out there for a cheaper price.

on 2/26/2015 4:46:00 AM

This is a very, very good eyeliner. The formula applies well, stays a consistent color, and has great payoff. I don't love the brush since I've found that the tip likes to have little fibers sticking out, interfering with perfectly crisp lines.

My personal opinion is that this would be better if it weren't tested on animals and if the fibers didn't stick out of the applicator. I prefer Urban Decay's liquid eyeliner and NYX's Studio Effect liquid eyeliner for the same reasons I like these, but I love the applicators so much more.

on 2/24/2015 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Best high end eyeliner i have ever used. It's very opaque and smooth and easy to apply. The one thing I don't like about it is how expensive it is. The upside to that con is the fact that it can last for a very long time. I don't usually like liquid eyeliners but this one is amazing.
I would 100% repurchase this liquid eyeliner again.

on 2/23/2015 5:25:00 AM

Nice one.

on 2/23/2015 4:51:00 AM

i really love this eyeliner, it is the first liquid eyeliner that i have been able to apply a smooth and precise line with (i haven't really used liquid eyeliner before) i think it is great for beginners and i can see myself using this product for many years to come

on 2/22/2015 10:37:00 AM

This has been my goto eyeliner for over a year now. I absolutely love it! It's a little bit pricey, but I've seen pricier! This eye liner is definitely water proof, although I wouldn't suggest going swimming with it or anything. It's easy to take off with makeup remover and so easy to apply! It's definitely a great beginner eyeliner. It really helped me get over my fear of liquid liner!

on 2/21/2015 7:04:00 PM

This is the perfect liquid eyeliner. Yes, it is expensive, but the product lasts a long time and I feel comfortable splurging on this item because it is so high quality. It is easy to apply, as simple as drawing the liner onto your eye! It is very black and creates a well defined line that can be as thin or thick as you like. I dig that it's kind of a glossy finish. It is not super waterproof but for a normal everyday it will last a long time. All day and all night long. A really wonderful liquid eyeliner, you won't be dissapointed.

on 2/21/2015 12:44:00 AM

This is definitely NOT waterproof. My eyes teared up and this was running down my face like a goth kid at a Smiths' concert.

I also found the consistency thin and difficult to get a nice bold line.

Complete fail.

I think I've found my HG liquid liner.
Like other eyeliner enthusiasts who take great pride and care in sporting the perfect signature wing, I've tried too many, um, subpar eyeliners. This one isn't a felt tip...this one rubs off in, literally, the blink of an eye...the hell, this isn't black enough...the list of concerns continues. Thank you, MUA, for leading me to this phenomenon of an eye product.
TL:DR: the rest of this space will be dedicated to raving.
Its color is a true, pigmented black; it transfers very, very smoothly from the felt tip to my eye with remarkable facility. Even thick layers of eyeshadow do not obstruct the application. In about one layer, tops, you can get a perfectly opaque, blackest-black line. It dries to a beautiful, glossy finish. The color, though, might be a bit difficult to wield; this is literally as close as you get to pure black, so every single mistake you make will not be forgiven. It's an aspect that you have to get used to, but it's worth it.
The felt tip is also the sharpest and most generous with allowing product to flow out. Seriously, the tip is almost unbelievably fine; to my surprise, it didn't even bend out of shape after use! Again, this is another very sharp tip that is very prone to making mistakes if you're not careful...however, it was also the perfect liner for doing artsy accents or gradient liner. It's so versatile...in the liner is a capability for creating both thin, barely-visible strokes, and the most bold statement wing.
Its staying power sealed the deal for me. I am a swimmer and a wearer of makeup for up to 20 hours a day; my eyes need to last through school, naps, and watery eyes because of allergies. Sometimes, I swim. This liner does all of that and more; it lasts through the days almost flawlessly. Yet, it readily yields when it's time for me to remove it. Reapplication is a thing of the past with Stay All Day.
Basically...I finally found an HG. I will keep trying out new liners, but this one will always be a go-to. I bought a backup recently after using up my first pen. Unfortunately, it comes with the high-end price tag of $23, but it will last you a solid 3 months, at least. Also, with all the amazing benefits and capabilities that come with it, the money is justified. With Stila being a hit/miss brand for me, I was overjoyed to find a hit. I hiiiiiighly recommend!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Faking a Crease: Smokey Eyes (great for monolids?) by KoreanLovesBeauty

How to look like a cute doll: Easy simple steps & ideas, Very Kawaii! by beautybysantaana

New Year's Eve & Party Smokey Makeup Tutorial! 2015 by Angie Wilches