July 23, 2014 | 1303 users online

Lips - Maybelline - Color Sensational Lipstain

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by sammycansing01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

When I saw this lipstain in Wink in Pink in my Seventeen magazine, I wanted to run to CVS Pharmacy to get it. So I did and when I tried it on, it didn't look like the color I wanted it to show. In the magazine, it was a baby pink. On my lips, was a dark pink-redish color. I was surprisingly shocked because I was expecting a different color. I still loved the look and scent and will purchase it again. But, I will use this in the summer for a better look.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product worked great for me....once. It was ok going on, the tip I have to admit was quite scratchy, it was a huge departure from the MAC lipstains that I have that just seemed to glide on.

I exfoliate my lips each time before using a lipstain and have never had an issue with it looking weird on my lips because of catching on dead skin...but this did second time around. It looked bad enough to attempt getting it off, which was quite easy since the stain only stayed on for about four hours.

My biggest issue with these, was the fact that they were completely dried out two days after I had initially opened them TWO days. My best friend got two different colors than I did and she had the same issue. To remedy this and try to get some use out of it I put a little water in the cap which kept it to be moistened. But this was absolutely ridiculous. But then you have to worry about getting stain water on you. You should not have to be struggling to use the product two days after opening because it is dried out.

Bad move Maybelline, you have created probably the worst lipstain ever. If I could give this product a zero I would.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I have this in "In the Buff" and "Touch of Toffee." First of all, for those who complain that the color comes out much darker than the cap suggests -- why don't you try sheering it out? Use your ring finger and blend it the same way you would with Benetint. That's what I love so much about these lip stains. Not only do they smell yummy and apply evenly, but they also have an incredibly easy-to-blend texture that is almost creamy in consistency. The staying power isn't crazy but I appreciate that as well. This is the type of stain that, for the most part, will still be there after a meal but will also come off instantly on a makeup wipe or a cotton pad soaked with makeup remover. Unlike other stains that are so pigmented that they can't be removed even if you scrub, this product is water-based and can be removed without much hassle. It's also non-drying and doesn't make my lips feel uncomfortably tight or peel afterward! "In the Buff" is the PERFECT pinky-nude MLBB color for me and I've been wearing this on a daily basis. The pointed felt tip makes it so easy to get a precise line, and after I draw it on I simply pat with a finger or press my lips together so that it absorbs nicely. "Touch of Toffee" is more orange/ brown and slightly darker, but honestly the two end up looking almost identical on my lips. I don't mind though because the end result is very pretty, very natural, and looks just fantastic with an spf-loaded balm or a clear gloss on top. I LOVE this lip stain.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by MissMisfit

I bought this on a whim when I saw it at Wal-Mart. I purchased "In the Buff" and thought it would be so pretty because I love soft nudes and pinks. As soon as I tried it on I almost wanted to scream in disgust. What an awful piece of crap this is. It's a deep cherry red! Why would you name it "In the Buff? Ridicuous. What a waste of $5.50. If you like reds then by all means, give this a try.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by saz

This product is awful! I hated it! It dried out my lips, and little pieces of the felt tip would come loose and get stuck on my lips. Not a good look! It wears off in no time and the colors aren't represented well with the packaging.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2011 5:57:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Alright, so I don't hate this lipstain. I had high hopes for it and did quite a bit of research before deciding to purchase one. I had been looking for a nude pink lipstain for awhile and was intrigued when I saw In the Buff in store. I knew from all the reviews to expect it to be darker than a nude pink, but I was at least hoping for something in that general color range. Once I tried it on at home, it did turn out to be a fairly bright raspberry pink, nowhere near the color of the cap. It was actually a pretty color, in spite of not being what I expected it to be, and it smelled really nice - just like raspberry Jello! So I decided to see how long it would last on my lips. This is where the product failed me. I waited for it to dry completely and then drank some water and had a snack. When I looked in the mirror afterward, the stain was completely gone save for a faint ring of color around the edge of my lips. I have lipsticks that last better than this. After all, isn't a lipstain supposed to be just that - a stain? People buy it for the lasting power, right? Unfortunately, this one just didn't hold up. I exchanged it after one use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by NicoleAM

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have two of these, in Wink of Pink and Bitten Berry. Wink of Pink is a lovely pink-raspberry shade, and gives a perfect 'just bitten' look to my lips. Bitten Berry is a true berry shade, with slight purple undertones. I really like both shades, and they compliment my fair skintone and green eyes beautifully. However, application is key here; both shades come out much darker than I expected and prefer. I like lipstains because I prefer a natural look, and use them to liven up my lips when I'm particularly sleepy in the morning or to polish a going-out look. These are definitely buildable, and you can get a lot of long-lasting color out of them, but you can also easily tone it down for a more natural flush.
The color does last, and I only have to reapply every 5 to 6 hours. Once dry, I can apply a light coat of clear balm without the color rubbing off (kind of a pet peeve I have!).
I like the marker packaging, and have had no problem with these drying out, even though I don't store them facing down.
They are also cheaper than other drugstore stains. I have not tried the Revlon stain, as the colors seem too dark and garish, but I do know that these are much better than the Covergirl lipstains. They last longer, taste better, and apply more "smoothly".
I would definitely recommend this product! But beware- those with dry lips may not like these, as they can accentuate the problem. I don't find that these specifically dry my lips out, but if my lips are already dry, I can see every flake.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by JelliBelli247

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nothing about this stain is good. It's super drying and doesnt stay on the lips for any length of time. The first time I applied the color(25 feelin rosy) was perfect, but in an hour had worn off completely.I did apply a clear over gloss but waited 5 minutes before I put that on to set stain. When I went to use it the next time it had NO color payoff at all. I've tried storing it marker end down, sideways and under to no avail. No color and dried up basically. Worthless. 8 bucks for a one shot stain is no deal to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 10:16:00 AM More reviews by ldeyoung

Love this stuff -
No, it doesn't last all day, but does anything? I drench my bottom lip, mush that into my top lip, and it gives a wash of color that keeps me from looking dead throughout the day when my other lipstick wears off. I do layer chapstick and then a similar lipstick color over the stain, I find the stain wears off more quickly if I don't put lipstick on over it. But again, at least there's some color for hours after my lipstick wears off.
I personally don't like the look of the stain by itself, it looks like you drew all over your lips with an opaque marker. By putting it only on one lip and then mushing it into the other it softens it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by brindled_mer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Edit (12-27-2010): This lipstain is OK, but it could have a bit more staying power.

I am a fan of lipstains because of their sheerness and the fact that they don't transfer onto drinking glasses or other things. This is a nice lipstain with average staying power. It wears off gradually, but the color does stay on your lips for several hours. I own the shades In The Buff, Feelin' Rosy, and Blushing. Blushing is my favorite shade; it's a clear cool berry shade, vivid but not too bright. (For reference, I am a light but not pale-skinned ash blond, and bright, sheer berry shades tend to look good on me.) In The Buff is ok for me - it is a neutral shade and adds color to the lips without an obvious makeup look. My least favorite, personally, is Feelin' Rosy. It is a warmer, almost hot, bright pink. However, I could see it being flattering on a warmer, deeper skin tone that favors hot, bright shades.