July 24, 2014 | 1212 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2011 5:38:00 AM More reviews by calzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I didn't buy these products as the set, but I do own both the liner (black one and bronze) and the liner brush because I got them separately in different kits.

I do love the liners- they are great and long lasting. I love how Tarte doesn't put in harsh or toxic chemicals into their stuff- I sure don't want that stuff getting into my eyes!

The brush hasn't really been used yet because when it arrived it was kind of squished in the packaging, so I really have just used it for applying lip ointment...

Anyway, love the liners, the brush I don't know.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I'm a newbie to gel/cream eyeliners, so I don't really have a basis for comparison, but I've been reading a lot about them and apparently these little pots dry out quickly. I thought, Hmmm, my Tarte one hasn't dried out yet. But I'll bet that's because I hardly used it at first! I just don't quite have the skills or patience to do a full black eyeliner with a brush in the morning, so this eyeliner (I got it in black) was more of a Saturday night thing for me. I've been using it more lately to see if it would dry out, and it does seem to be getting harder to work with, harder to apply, and more crumbly. Like someone else wrote, I'm having to layer it on more thickly to get precise definition so it's a thick, cakey layer that therefore cracks and flakes like it didn't when I first got it. Too bad! It worked beautifully at first. Well, back to liquid liner I go for now! I do like the double-ended brush it came with though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really have a love hate relationship with Tarte I really only love their mascaras and cheek stains and am constantly disappointed with just about everything else they sell but every once and a while I'll try something out if it's in a decently priced kit. I got this in the Shining Stars kit from Ulta because I wanted the cheek stain and mascara. The travel size cheek stain will outlive me and the mascara is a favorite so everything else in the kit was just a bonus to try. Honestly I've used several gel liners and I've read that they are all pretty much the same and that's my experience. This one is just a slightly softer version of every gel pot liner I've ever used maybe because they blend in kaolin clay but I like straight gel versions better. They aren't as soft and last longer on my lower lash line. Color payoff was fine but lower lid smudged and looked uneven after an hour. It did last better than stick liners but you can find similar products cheaper elsewhere. All gel or pot liners can dry up in the jar after a while so keep them closed tight and flip the jar over in the lid or counter as you line to keep air from getting in as much as possible. Overall not a bad product but for $22 it should stay put on my lower lash line.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by nicadele

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish Tarte would improve the quality of their eye products to match the high quality of their complexion products and cheek stains. All of their eyeshadows are unblendable, horrible pigmentation and are of inferior quality. The aquagel eyeliners smear smudge and crumble on your eyes after a few hours, and now this emphasEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof liner...
When I first got this aqualiner in black, it was promising. I was very pleased with the ease of application but after two weeks, the contents in the jar completely dried up!! I tried to warm the jar in up in my hands for 10 minutes, I would dig my fingernails into it to warm it up and create pockets where the product could be gathered from (messy and unhygenic) but nothing would bring the product back to its easy-to-use state from just two weeks prior. You'd think it had been sitting around for a couple of years! I think I got three good applications out of that jar. Pretty pricey per application. I will NOT re-purchase. Come on, Tarte. I love your foundations and blushs. Please improve the quality of your eye makeup line!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 12:44:00 AM More reviews by thubbard

I got this liner with the Shining Stars Collection at ULTA. I am a newbie to pot eyeliners, but I have been wanting to experiment with one, and the gift set was perfect since I had been wanting to try the lip and cheek stain that came with it. With the set, this liner was an amazing deal, and I would probably buy it on it's own again too (I gave it a 4 in the price area because on it's own it is a bit expensive, but definitely worth it). I mainly wanted it for tight lining because regular liners always seem to smudge under my eyes (giving a lovely raccoon look) and I read that this has great staying power. I haven't yet experimented with using this for a cat eye look, but with a steady hand and some practice, I think it will be great for that too.

I use this with the Eco Tools angled eyeliner brush for only 3.99 (it didn't come with the brush since I got it in the set, which was kind of a bummer). It works pretty well, but I will need to invest in a smudge brush for the look I want to achieve. Once this stuff dries, it doesn't move unless you use makeup remover on it, so smudge quickly before it dries! I have been using the back of my hand to put product on and coat the brush so I don't dip back in the pot (and instead of using the lid to prevent if from drying out) and I had a hell of a time getting it off my hand after it had dried. Overall, I really like this product because it really stays throughout the day and has a nice matte finish--as opposed to liquid liners that dry kind of shiny. Tarte also uses natural ingredients, which is always selling point for me.

Also, this says it can be used as an eye shadow, but I haven't tried that out yet just because I don't normally wear a lot of dark shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 3:41:00 PM More reviews by diesel3

Wow, I was so glad to find my new HG black gel liner in a gift set with a mini Tarte cheek stain, mascara and lip gloss. I have combination skin with apparently well hydrated lids because liner always fades on me quickly. I've tried essentially every other gel liner, and in terms of staying power I've found from best to worst: MAC Fluidline, Stila Smudgepot, Bobbi Brown (barely lasted till lunch), and then the drugstore stuff. I wanted to try out the new YSL gel liner but it looks like the reviews' consensus is that it just takes too long to dry. I have dark eyes and hair, so I enjoy a good black, and this did not disappoint. Whereas with the MAC Blacktrack Fluidline I'd have to reapply in the afternoon to keep the intensity of the black (their felt tip liner is good for this!), the Tarte black gel liner stayed all day and kept its super black intensity right until I washed it off. A first! I'm so impressed with this product, and I look forward to seeing if it can last as long as the MAC stuff can - I use it every day but I can literally wipe off the first layer once a month or so and there is perfect product underneath. I hope this doesn't dry out on me as fast as some other reviewers have claimed.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by cinderfallen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the liner in Bronze and though it doesn't work for me as a liner because it disappears with my skin tone (medium-tone Asian)--it's absolutely gorgeous as a shadow! Fabulous color and blends really well. Try it!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2011 9:14:00 PM More reviews by lotsofcolors

At first I loved this eyeliner (I got it in brown) but I was only able to use it for a few weeks before it dried out and became completely unusable. I would have returned it, but I had become attached to the brush that came with it. I have used pot eyeliners from mac, bobbi brown and stilla and never had a problem with any of these drying out. I would not recommend this product to anyone, but it gets one star for the brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2011 9:48:00 AM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a brown liner to use when black is just too harsh, and I ended up choosing this in Bronze. It's a great colour for me, and it's perfect for day or evening.
I currently have MAC Blacktrack, but when I wear it on just my upper lid it ALWAYS transfers to my lower one. I don't have this problem at ALL with Tarte. It goes on and stays on with no flaking, transfer or smudging. I would like to purchase it in black as well, but I hate having to buy the brush... it is terrible and a waste of money.
The only thing is, it doesn't work at all on my waterline. It came off almost right away. For that reason I will keep Blacktrack around, because when I dip a liner pencil into Blacktrack and draw it on my waterline it lasts very well.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by lindi828

I like gel liners but I have never found one that I could use on the upper inner eyelid. Well, this works! I can really put a nice line right in the lashes in the upper rim and it doesn't stray or smudge and it really lasts all day! My favorite of all time. I also have oily eyelids, I use a primer first and this still stays on wonderfully!