October 22, 2014 | 1858 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Urban Decay - De-Slick in a Tube Mattifying Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by purpleicefairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm shocked at the bad reviews on this product. I've tried mattifiers by both Murad and Clinique, neither of which did a thing for me. This is the only product that actually did anything to control my oil. It goes on smoothly and dries down pretty quick. My foundation goes on over this without any problems. I agree with previous posters in saying that this works even better if you dab it over your makeup as well. While I find that this doesn't *completely* eliminate my oil, it delays it's onset, allowing me to at least get through a good 5-6 hours without blotting. If I'm going out after school, I will blot once and thats it--I'm good for the rest of the night. Normally I would have to blot 2-3 times a day, so for me this is great. The only caveat is the price, $28 for 0.67 fl. oz., but a little goes a long way so I'm not too upset.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 3:09:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I only got a sample tube of this, but it was enough for me to decide that I don't like it.
I have very oily skin that starts shining around lunchtime, so I'm usually using blotting papers and/or powders at least once during the day. I've already been using L'Oreal's base primer (which I love), and that does mattify my face but not quite enough to last the day. I got this UD gel as a free gift when I bought an UDPP a while ago.
I tried the De-slick on its own before my makeup, and it made my skin feel so smooth and nice. Then I tried to apply my liquid foundation and it would hardly blend at all. I tried using a little of the De-slick over the L'Oreal primer, and another time under the L'Oreal primer, and it just felt like a weird mask. At least this didn't break me out, I guess.
So basically this didn't work for me no matter how I tried it. It did give my skin a nice texture at first but made applying makeup difficult, so what's the use of having a makeup primer that kills makeup application? It's so expensive anyway, I wouldn't buy a full-size anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by JennStang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this product! I've tried sooo many oil-controlling primers, etc and this is one of very few oil-control cosmetics that have had very much effect on my super oily skin. I usually get some oil breakthrough by lunchtime. I dab a little of the De Slick on my shiny spots, and they're matte for the rest of the day. I can only imagine how well this would work as a primer, but I can't bring myself to use that much at once since the tube is rather small for $28.

I've also been experimenting with this by dabbing it on immediately after putting on my makeup in the morning. My skin stays shine-free if I do it this way; no oil breakthrough at all by lunchtime!

Excellent product, and I will definitely buy it again when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2011 1:16:00 AM More reviews by RayvnNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just no match for my oil. Seriously, it just powers through this stuff! I found this equally effective as Clinique Pore Minimizer T-Zone Shine Control. So let's do a price comparison for those who like either De-slick in a Tube or Pore Minimizer. De-Slick is $28 for .67oz. This comes out to around $41.80 per oz. Pore Minimizer is $14.50 for .5oz. This comes out to $29 per oz. So it's worth it to try Pore Minimizer first, or even if you like De-Slick in a Tube. Now, I am an avid Urban Decay fan, so if I'm telling you to look at another brand, I really mean it. Okay, so this product might work for people who have a little oily, are combo and get shiny in their t-zone. If that's you, then by all means try it (try clinique first though)! However, if you're super oily like me, this probably won't cut it. However, Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray is really great! This (in combination with another oil control primer) keeps me oil free all day. So to summarize: Light oil? Try Clinique first. Major oil? Skip this, try the De-Slick spray instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2011 9:19:00 PM More reviews by BeTheChange

I really wanted to like this, but I don't. It just doesn't work for me. It worked wonderfully on the first day, but after that not so much. So sad :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by chelsea7387

I purchased this from the UD online store. It's an ok product, but I wouldn't buy it again for the hefty price tag... the bottle is TINY! Also, I'm not crazy about the white film it leaves after it dries on your skin. It's not bad if you really rub it in, but it still doesn't make this product a must-have.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by meaganlol

There was a time when I thought that De-Slick in a Tube was a big waste of money. Because the package says you can apply it before or after makeup, I just assumed it was a primer and I'd smooth it on my skin before I applied makeup.

Big mistake!!

If you apply it first, you may get an hour or two of extended wear time. If you apply it AFTER you've done your full face, you will be amazed at how long you'll need to go before enacting oil-control measures.

My morning routing is to apply my makeup, set my foundation with powder, and run out the door. After my 45 minute commute to work, I'll dash into the bathroom, squeeze out a pea-sized dollop of De-slick, smooth it all over my fingers creating a thin layer, and dab it all over my face. No smoothing! Just dabbing! Giving my makeup that 45 minutes to settle in, then patting De-slick over my made-up face will make me last a full 8 hours of shine-free-ness. That's unheard of! After work, before I leave, I do the same routine. Run into the bathroom, dab on my De-slick, and that'll get me through my evening.

If you've got a tube of this sitting around because you thought it wasn't doing it's job, throw it in your purse and do a little dab throughout your day and see how amazing this product is!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 7:33:00 AM More reviews by penncovemuscles

i dont understand why there are so many bad reviews?
first of all this is a BASE, so you apply it first before applying on foundation. i squeeze it onto my face, use a foundation brush to smooth it out evenly, let dry for a couple minutes, then brush on my mineral makeup. no problems here.
i have insanely oily skin and this definitely helped take it down a couple notches! would buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/3/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by msl2147

i bought this product a few weeks ago and let me just say i cant believe how nasty it made my foundation look. it look like i had serious skin problems when i applied it over my powder foundation. this was a big no no for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by mmhhmmthatsright

I purchased this at Sephora a few weeks back because I am a wishful thinker and want my face to be shine free. Well, it isn't. I have a fairly oily t-zone and thought that this product would help control that oil and keep my skin MATTE. Not only does it not deliver in this area but it also makes my foundation look NASTY around my hairline! Don't get me wrong, it isn't a matter of blending in my foundation better because I airbrush my foundation. The directions say that it can be used on top of makeup as well but I found that I couldn't touch up any oily area without up my makeup more. I'm pretty disappointed with UD for this product. It is also extremely overpriced considering you get .67 oz of product :(