September 16, 2014 | 1976 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by GeekChick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Summary: Least greasy / most mattifying American drugstore brand sunscreen I've found, but still not as mattifying as Japanese sunscreens for super oily skin. May also irritate sensitive skin.

Full Review: I tried this hoping to find a replacement for my discontinued HG, Sofina Lucent. (Which is also similar to the discontinued Shiseido SPF 55 Lotion.) I have very oily skin so finding mattifying, non-greasy sunscreens is very difficult! This sunscreen has a thinner texture than most and is easy to blend in, though not quite as watery and blendable as Sofina. It also stings my skin slightly when I apply it -- my skin seems to be sensitive some ingredients but resistant to others, so I'm not sure what ingredient(s) bother me. It has a strong sunscreen scent mixed with fragrance, but fortunately the scent fades quickly after applying my makeup. It is one of the few drugstore sunscreens I've tried that dries quickly and allows my mineral makeup to go on smoothly, not cakey or clumpy. It mattifies fairly well, but not as good as Sofina or Shiseido. I will continue to use it until I can find something better (probably another Japanese sunscreen). I'd recommend this for slightly oily, not sensitive skintypes, but it may not be mattifying enough for super oily skin like mine.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by nocomment

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this while on a road trip because I was afraid of the sun exposure. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin. One day after using I broke out like crazy. Red irritated bumps all over my forehead and white heads on my cheeks and mouth area, which is really unusual for me. Also, this burned my eyes a few hours after applying. I am going to throw the bottle away in the trash. Will NOT repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2010 2:29:00 AM More reviews by inLoveWithTheDJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really dislike this sunscreen. I bought it cause it claimed to work well under makeup. I've applied it directly onto my face and also tried mixing it into my foundation. About three hours later it had turned my foundation into an orange color and my face had a layer of grease both times... :(

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by jmorocco

Bought this because it reminded me of Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen of which I’ve been using for years now, and love. Clarins being a $50 product and this being less than $20, I thought it was worth a shot. I’d say the texture is very similar, but not exactly the same. With Clarins you press it onto your skin and with this Neutrogena product you actually rub it into your skin. My skin is the slightest bit oilier with the N. product than with the Clarins product. I have no shine with Clarins whatsoever. The other negative about the N. product is that it does not have all the extra “good for you” ingredients that Clarins does. It’s a straight sunblock. With Clarins my skin feels and looks healthy and refreshed but not so much with N. You get more for your money with N. and the sunscreen is a whopping 70 spf (these higher numbers are simply added chemicals so I’m not sure I’m too crazy about ‘em)

Will I purchase again? Yes, because its winter and the oiliness is not a huge issue with the cold weather. For summer I think I’ll switch back to Clarins, however. The other curious thing is that I really miss the smell of the Clarins product. Normally I detest the overwhelming scented Clarins’ products, but this one product they get right in regards to scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2010 1:10:00 PM More reviews by LICHOW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am allergic to almost all facial sunscreens and if I'm not they're usually too greasy for the face. This one is absolutely perfect. Not greasy. Makeup goes on easily over it and it's 70 SPF. I hope Neutrogena makes this forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2010 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Shamim81

We dont have this one in Canada but there is a Canadian version which is called NEUTROGENA® ULTRA SHEER® WATER-LIGHT™ daily face sunscreen. The bottle is exactly the same.
I have finished a bottle and I just bought my second. This is the best sunscreen I have tried ever.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by tackyelephants

I have that Asian oily T zone combination skin that is also occasionally dry. I also wear glasses so whatever kind of sunscreen I use, it feels that much heavier and sticky. If the day isn't particularly humid or hot (under 80s), this sunscreen is great. You do feel a slight layer, but hey, it's SPF 70 sunscreen! On those days that are super duper hot, it still gets a bit nasty even with translucent powder over it.
It layers well with make up and is better than most other sunscreens I've used.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 7:49:00 AM More reviews by jferrarese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I hate sunblock, let's start with that - so there is not a sunblock in this world (yet) that can get 5 lippies from me.

I have tried everything from other Neutrogena types to Skinceuticals, Dermalogica, Vichy, Roche-Posay, etc. I have heard people raving about Roche-Posay but honestly I thought it was greasy and nasty. Besides this Neutrogena, I'm keen on the Vichy liquid for face (spf 50) for combination/oily skin. It's very similar to this one, but just more expensive.

What I love about this - and it's lower spf sister - is that it doesn't cause the greasies. Yes, it has that "summer" smell associated w/ SPFs. But it is hardly and issue. Honestly, this is - IMHO - the best SPF for under makeup as I have had no issues although I do warn those with primer - that didn't work too well together...but this SPF works pretty well as primer for me.

All in all, I still hate sunblock. I still have to force myself to put it on. There is still no one product that is flawless under makeup. But this one comes pretty darn close. So, for now, I'm sticking with it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2010 1:13:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I'm really enjoying using Neutrogena's UltraSheer Liquid as part of my daily routine. I find that the consistency is very thin and very easily absorbed into my face and neck without any leftover greasy sheen or oiliness, so it looks good with or without makeup covering it. It also doesn't make my skin several shades lighter from zinc. With other sunscreens, I often have to use some powder to minimize the shine, so skipping that step is welcome relief – one step closer to getting out the door! The base it provides for makeup (and I’ve used both liquid and mineral makeup over it with great results) is very smooth and I get even coverage.
The scent is very faintly sunscreeny and doesn’t bother me. I do notice some stinging upon application, especially if I get too close to my eyes, but this fades fairly quickly and doesn’t annoy me enough to stop using it.
I’ve used this at the beach with great results, and I also like the protection it provides for everyday, particularly since I like to walk to work or walk around outside on my lunch breaks, and I have a very fair complexion.
This is silly, but I also like that the packaging has some sort of ball bearing in it like a nail polish, so when I’m shaking it up prior to each use, I can hear that the product is remixing. Very satisfying.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Crystalj007

this product is lightweight, and dries matte. i wear it under makeup and i find that it doesn't cause my makeup to ball up or cake up. Def. a good product. It does smell like sunscreen, but not for long. Would buy again.