Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock spf 70

3.7

Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%, Oxybenzone 5%. Water, cetyl dimethicone, silica, styrene/acrylates copolymer, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, ethylhexylglycerin, steareth-100, caprylyl glycol, pentylene glycol, steareth-2, cyclopentasiloxane, polyester-7, chlorphenesin, bisabolol, disodium EDTA, acrylates/dimethicone copolymer, butylene glycol, BHT, mannan, xanthan gum, polymethyl methacrylate, camellia oleifera leaf extract, diethylhexyl 2,6-naphthalate, tocopheryl acetate, portulaca oleracea extract, pantothenic acide, retinyl palmitate, ascorbic acid, phenoxyethanol, fragrance.

on 4/20/2011 1:40:00 AM

I absolutely love this sunscreen. It's the only sunscreen I can get just about anywhere in the US that is just as cosmetically elegant as the Japanese and European sunscreens that I have to order online. This means if I run out or I'm out of town, I can have sunscreen for my face that looks and feels great. It works wonderfully under my Colorstay foundation and I stay pretty matte all day.

HOWEVER, the PPD for this sunscreen is only 11 and when I used the Ciba BASF sunscreen calculator, it listed the SPF as only 30. I wonder what basis Neutrogena uses for the SPF rating it lists.

Since Avene Tres Haute Emulsion SPF 50 is cheaper per ounce and has a PPD of 20, I will use this during the summer; however if I can't get hold of it I will definitely run back to the Neutrogena in a pinch. It's just that I know that PPD has a bigger effect on aging and pigmentation in the long run, so this matters to me since I'm about to turn 40 and I'm extremely fair complected.

on 3/10/2011 4:14:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use this every day; it's one of my necessities! Like it states, it really is perfect under makeup. I apply it after my moisturizer, and I give it a few minutes to allow it to absorb fully. By the time it dries, the finish is perfectly matte, and I would never be able to tell that there's a layer of sunblock on my face. It doesn't bother my skin in the least -- it's not drying, irritating or pore clogging. The only downside is that I go through it pretty quickly -- but at this price, and with this SPF, it's definitely worth it!

on 2/1/2011 11:39:00 PM

I compared side by side with:
Bioderma Photoderm MAX Fluide SPF50+
Neutrogena Healthy Defense Liquid Moisturizer SPF 50
Neutrogena Pure and Free Liquid SPF 50

The Ultra Sheer SPF70 is the most liquid and leaves the most matte finish. I was worried that this would be drying or cause acne breakouts but no problems.

The only thing I wish Neutrogena would change is leave the scent out and make the product fragrance free.

on 1/19/2011 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Summary: Least greasy / most mattifying American drugstore brand sunscreen I've found, but still not as mattifying as Japanese sunscreens for super oily skin. May also irritate sensitive skin.

Full Review: I tried this hoping to find a replacement for my discontinued HG, Sofina Lucent. (Which is also similar to the discontinued Shiseido SPF 55 Lotion.) I have very oily skin so finding mattifying, non-greasy sunscreens is very difficult! This sunscreen has a thinner texture than most and is easy to blend in, though not quite as watery and blendable as Sofina. It also stings my skin slightly when I apply it -- my skin seems to be sensitive some ingredients but resistant to others, so I'm not sure what ingredient(s) bother me. It has a strong sunscreen scent mixed with fragrance, but fortunately the scent fades quickly after applying my makeup. It is one of the few drugstore sunscreens I've tried that dries quickly and allows my mineral makeup to go on smoothly, not cakey or clumpy. It mattifies fairly well, but not as good as Sofina or Shiseido. I will continue to use it until I can find something better (probably another Japanese sunscreen). I'd recommend this for slightly oily, not sensitive skintypes, but it may not be mattifying enough for super oily skin like mine.

on 12/26/2010 10:47:00 PM

I bought this while on a road trip because I was afraid of the sun exposure. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin. One day after using I broke out like crazy. Red irritated bumps all over my forehead and white heads on my cheeks and mouth area, which is really unusual for me. Also, this burned my eyes a few hours after applying. I am going to throw the bottle away in the trash. Will NOT repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really dislike this sunscreen. I bought it cause it claimed to work well under makeup. I've applied it directly onto my face and also tried mixing it into my foundation. About three hours later it had turned my foundation into an orange color and my face had a layer of grease both times... :(

on 10/21/2010 5:24:00 PM

Bought this because it reminded me of Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen of which I’ve been using for years now, and love. Clarins being a $50 product and this being less than $20, I thought it was worth a shot. I’d say the texture is very similar, but not exactly the same. With Clarins you press it onto your skin and with this Neutrogena product you actually rub it into your skin. My skin is the slightest bit oilier with the N. product than with the Clarins product. I have no shine with Clarins whatsoever. The other negative about the N. product is that it does not have all the extra “good for you” ingredients that Clarins does. It’s a straight sunblock. With Clarins my skin feels and looks healthy and refreshed but not so much with N. You get more for your money with N. and the sunscreen is a whopping 70 spf (these higher numbers are simply added chemicals so I’m not sure I’m too crazy about ‘em)

Will I purchase again? Yes, because its winter and the oiliness is not a huge issue with the cold weather. For summer I think I’ll switch back to Clarins, however. The other curious thing is that I really miss the smell of the Clarins product. Normally I detest the overwhelming scented Clarins’ products, but this one product they get right in regards to scent.

on 9/20/2010 1:10:00 PM

I am allergic to almost all facial sunscreens and if I'm not they're usually too greasy for the face. This one is absolutely perfect. Not greasy. Makeup goes on easily over it and it's 70 SPF. I hope Neutrogena makes this forever!

on 8/30/2010 5:04:00 PM

We dont have this one in Canada but there is a Canadian version which is called NEUTROGENA® ULTRA SHEER® WATER-LIGHT™ daily face sunscreen. The bottle is exactly the same.
I have finished a bottle and I just bought my second. This is the best sunscreen I have tried ever.

I have that Asian oily T zone combination skin that is also occasionally dry. I also wear glasses so whatever kind of sunscreen I use, it feels that much heavier and sticky. If the day isn't particularly humid or hot (under 80s), this sunscreen is great. You do feel a slight layer, but hey, it's SPF 70 sunscreen! On those days that are super duper hot, it still gets a bit nasty even with translucent powder over it.
It layers well with make up and is better than most other sunscreens I've used.