April 18, 2014 | 1760 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by fancyfrancie

INITIAL REVIEW: Awesome. I have combination/oily skin. I've been searching far and wide for a mineral sunscreen with the following five qualities:
1) fragrance-free
2) contains "extras" (niacinimine, vitamin E, etc)
3) non-greasy (VERY IMPORTANT)
4) silky, easy to blend, no patchiness
5) no breakouts
So far I can say that this product meets qualifications 1-4! I will get back to you in two weeks or so with the verdict on #5 (if a new product is clogging my skin, I usually find out within 10 consecutive days of use). This stuff is a dream to apply. It's so silky-smooth, it just glides evenly over your skin, which means you don't have to stand in front of the mirror blending for five full minutes to get your face to look normal. It does leave the slightest white cast, but it's actually very flattering and brightening, not ghastly or unnatural-looking at all. This is definitely worth trying, and Paula Begoun gives it a happy face. I'll come back and let you know how the product stands up to acne. Fingers crossed!
EDIT:
A few months later, I'm still very impressed. I wear this about every other day (the other days I use Paula's Choice Skin Balancing SPF 15) and my skin tone and texture has noticeably improved. I really recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by hutchings

Very light, fragrance-free sunscreen. Goes on with an almost watery consistency, which I didn't mind, but I could see how it might slip off in really hot humid weather. I didn't finish the bottle because it made my skin "chalky" looking. I never looked forward to putting it on because I knew it would dry me out just enough to nullify all my moisterizing and beautifying efforts. I should add that I'm not acne prone, and this sunscreen is formulated for sensitive skin that tends to break out with sunscreen use. It's true it's not greasy and it never broke me out.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by vedo4you

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product because my friend who's acne is worse than mine used this and it really worked for her. This product was way too strong for my sensitive skin. It actually clogged my pores and made me break out more. It didn't come off easily and when i was it off with my cleanser (Cetaphil gentle cleanser) it would burn intensely. It also caused my skin to get dry (I have extremely oily skin naturally) so this is a huge problem for me. bottom line, if you have sensitive, acne prone skin like me, DON'T use it. I'm going back to my Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily moisturizer with spf50.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 8:48:00 AM More reviews by 00R00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

On my tenth bottle of this. I LOVE it. HG everyday facial sunscreen - just be sure to set it with powder. I use Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder (I alternate between both the loose & pressed). I used to have major skin drama (break-out prone & incredibly sensitive) now my skin is perfectly clear. Being ex-break-out-prone I was very tentative to try a new sunscreen (I had been using Sofina Lucent but the high alcohol content was dehydrating my skin, then Paula's Choice SPF15 - not enough protection & I'm not crazy about chemical-only sunscreens) - so at first, I would apply this product (Elta MD) very sparingly as it is quite creamy but now a year or so on I slather it on - I know it absolutely does NOT break me out, it actually makes my skin look better once on, it's gentle, it's calming & it protects my skin from sun damage. So glad I found this product. For anyone out there who has break-out prone skin, I highly recommend you give this sunscreen a try. Please note my current regime (I now have perfectly clear skin): Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser, Paula's Choice Resist Toner, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Paula's Choice Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator. I also dabble with the Resist Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum & Resist Remarkable Skin Lightening Lotion but if you're trying to get your skin on track from break outs - I can't recommend the aforementioned regimen enough (please note: use the Resist toner in the AM & the 2% BHA Liquid in the PM, Hydrator both AM & PM).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2012 1:07:00 AM More reviews by renyun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

All sunscreens (liquid form) I've tried on my face have broke me out. I was so excited to try this after bitting my lip to purchase this. Unfortunately, I still broke out along the sides of my cheeks after trying this out for a few days. I wished it worked for me, but my skin just doesn't react well to this. Such a shame.

*edit: I have been giving this suncreen another try. I find that by patting the sunscreen into the skin instead of rubbing it in reduces breakouts. For those who always break out from wearing sunscreen, try patting it on instead of rubbing it in!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 1:36:00 AM More reviews by mzpkay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

So back in the summer, I thought this product was breaking me out. I was wrong. Apparently it was the new concealer I was test driving that was clogging me. This has a wonderful finish, both in look and feel. Very cosmetically elegant. However, as an oily combination person, I have to admit that this has no oil containing properties at all. Especially in comparison to Japanese oil vacuuming sunscreens. Weirdly enough, I like that this SS doesn't try to eliminate all oil. This also contains niacinamide, which my skin loves. Comes in an opaque, airless pump bottle which is nice. So glad I have finally found a SS that I don't mind repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 8:26:00 AM More reviews by avidswapper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tested it on my neck before putting it on my face- good thing! Because this caused an itchy, crazy-red rash everywhere I applied it. Yuck! NOT for sensitive skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just about every sunscreen breaks me out so I was excited to try this, especially since it contains niacinamide.It is supposed to be calming to the skin. For some reason, every time I apply this product, it stings my skin for a few minutes. Did not break me out though. Not worth it for me. I will stick with my Replenix spf 45 which I have been using for years now.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2011 4:02:00 PM More reviews by fenlady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Heard good things about this ss on rosacea and skincare forums, but unfortunately it isn't on sale in the UK so I had to order it. The postage from the US is horrible, but I'm willing to pay to find a product that works for me. Sadly, the Elta ss didn't. It went on smoothly, no noticeable white cast (I'm very pale anyway), and although there was a sheen, it was attractive and definitely not a shine! So far, so good. But by the end of the second day of use, I'd broken out in small red pimples and pustules all over my face - everywhere I'd applied the Elta. When I discontinued use, the pimples went away. I think I must be one of those people whose skin is easily clogged by the zinc oxide, which is a shame, as otherwise I really liked the product. Back to the Anthelios for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by jsc0702

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this sunscreen! It absorbs quickly and does not leave any noticeable residue on my skin or cause breakouts. Most of the other high SPF sunscreens that I have used in the past would ball up on my skin as soon as I tried to apply a moisturizer or foundation over them. That is not the case with Elta MD UV Clear. It is also very reasonably priced for the quality. It is definitely the best sunscreen I have ever used and I highly recommend it. The only drawback is that it is not very moisturizing and those with dry skin will probably need to use an additional moisturizer after applying this.