October 23, 2014 | 1228 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by ShineeBee

My skin doesn't like this very much. upon application it stinks my skin and after a while it make them red and irritated. I didn't give this several tries but it doesn't seems to be working out for me. I suppose my skin just doesn't like the ingredient. If you are find using chemical suncreen, then this might be for you. but if you find that your skin goes red and irritated from other chemical sunscreen, this might not help.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2012 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Madwilso

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a retin-a user (about 5 months), so I have combination/acne-prone skin that can get excessively dry. I have been very happy with Glycolix Elite spf 30 sunscreen, but it's 17% ZnO and gives me ghost face, which isn't a problem if wearing makeup. But since my skin has been clearing up I went on the search for a sunscreen that I could wear that would not leave a white tint and would be fine without make up. I read about EltaMd UV clear on drbaileyskincare.com and ordered it from dermstore.com (if you add an item to your favorites list and then to your basket, you get 10% off). I started using the product when my skin was clear and I hadn't varied up my skincare routine in at least a month.
The product does go on clear, which is nice, but can be expected from most sunscreens with a 9% ZnO content. It spreads very easily and I found one full pump to be plenty enough to cover the whole face, neck and top of my chest. I find that it "absorbs" fairly quickly but leaves my skin feeling kind of tacky and very shiny. I absolutely hate the way it feels on my palms and I have to wash it off right away. The shine can be minimized with powder or Paula's choice anti-shine gel, but since I purchased it to wear without make up, that kind of bothers me. I started getting very small (very tiny) inflamed pustules for about a week and a half. I think this is my skins reaction to the niacinamide because I got a similar reaction to CeraVe pm. But they have gone away after continued use.
After 5 weeks I feel like this sunscreen is too drying for my skin, even with a layer of CeraVe lotion underneath. I have a hard time getting concealer to spread easily (benefit erase paste and bobbi brown creamy concealer) under my eyes. For research purposes, I applied liquid foundation on top of the sunscreen. I used MAC Studio Sculpt (I think that's what it's called? It's in the tube) and it spread easily and then my concealer was fine over that. Powder works pretty well over it (MAC MSF) but will accentuate dry spots. I have started mixing in 1 pump of my Glycolix Elite sunscreen with half a pump of the EltaMD UV Clear and it's more moisturizing for my skin. I think this sunscreen is nice, but not HG for me, but I would possibly repurchase next summer if my skin is less dry. I would recommend for oily types without any dry spots, it does not seem to aggravate my acne.
I think I will try the EltaMD daily sunscreen next and update with a comparison.

Update 9/20/12: I've been using the EltaMD daily 40 and I much prefer it. It is more moisturizing, but still light in formula. It gave me no breakouts or irritation. If you try the UV Clear and it doesn't work for you in a similar way that it didn't work for me, then give this one a try.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Mommyandmore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My dermatologist recommended this product to me. I was not happy when I saw little pimples (millia?) in reaction to it, but I figured my skin needed to learn how to react to the niacinamide. After about a week, the little pimples cleared up and I haven't had any reaction to this since. It provides great protection and, in comparison to every single other sunscreen I've tried, it has been fantastic. I've repurchased about 4 times.
UPDATE: I've since tried two different sunscreens and I have to say that Shiseido's Anessa Perfect UV sunscreen provides a superior texture for my skin and works better as a base under makeup! The EltaMd has a drier texture than the Anessa sunscreen, so the Anessa keeps my skin more supple and less prone to flaking. The oil control of the Anessa is at least as good as the EltaMD, if not better, and my skin seems more even.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by amillionbucks

This sunscreen is fantastic. I apply it every day after my moisturizer and it does not dry my out or break me out, which is what has happened with suncreens of the past. I love that the SPF is so high - the spf in my moisturizer or makeup products just isn't enough for me most days. I don't burn, but I do use retinol and AHAs frequently so my face really needs the extra protection.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by iamoneoak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought by clear it meant the stuff wouldn't leave your face looking white. Not true. This stuff is the same white as most every other sunscreen. It makes my face look shiny. I don't like that. Took a while to figure out the clear means its supposed to clear acne spots cuz it has niacinamide in it. Gimmicky. I like the pump but can't tell how much is left. Not buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 8:42:00 PM More reviews by reviews2012

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love it! It is expensive but it is sooo nice and it is totally non greasy. Well worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by 2lilmonkees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HG SS for my face!! No breakouts for me, if not made it better. I bought dames off eBay 1st to make sure it was all good for my acne/clog prone, sensitive, oily skin. Yep no issues. Been using this over a yr now, purchased a couple times now and still go thru eBay as well. I agree with another not knowing when exactly I will run out so after about 3 months I just purchase another bottle and within the wk I'm needing the new bottle. Love this stuff, I put a good amount on bc it just sinks in to your skin with no oily/greasy finish. My face is pale, while the rest of me is getting pretty good color, which is how I like it. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2012 1:50:00 AM More reviews by Tako2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the only facial sunscreen I have found that does not make me break out, make me a grease ball, or both. In fact, I think it controls the oily spots on my skin a bit more than if I wasn't using it, and I think the Vitamin B in it really does help reduce the appearance of any acne issues (I swear my face looks better after a few minutes of having it on than before I put it on). The only thing I dislike about this product is the packaging because, while great for usage, I cannot tell AT ALL how far along I am with using it. Basically I'm going to be without sunscreen/a light moisturizer for however many days it takes to get this shipped to my house again since I can't tell how much is left in the bottle (and no, you can't tell by the weight because the thing is practically weightless when it's full). I could purchase it again now and just have an extra on hand, but it is expensive for me and I would rather wait until I really need to buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2012 12:21:00 AM More reviews by mstroche

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can now say with confidence that this is the first sunscreen that I have used since I started applying sunscreen daily 15 years ago that does not break me out. I am 37 and have always struggled with very oily skin, acne, cysts and dark spots, and while wearing sunscreen always made my acne worse I could not bypass it because of the hyperpigmentation and prescription treatments. So I started using Elta Clear 5 months ago when I started my current prescription treatment for hyperpigmentation and acne, and I was mostly attributing not having acne for the first time in years to the treatment (a combination of tretinoin, vitamin C and hydroquinone). But, I ran out of the Elta Clear last week and I started using other sunscreens, and within days I suddenly have a few breakouts, so definitely this sunscreen had been doing its job of keeping my face clear. I've tried so many brands and have spared no expense (Clinique City Block Spf 25 and 40, Solbar, Purpose, Obagi, Tizo 3, Total Block, Fallene Cotz, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, and most recently Peter Thomas Roth Uber Dry and Philosophy Miracle Worker SPF 55, and I could keep going) but I think I'm done searching. I will say that the finish is not matte, and in the heat it seems to melt off, but having clear skin outweighs anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by kdub2191

only used this for a day so far.but the texture of this is unlike any other sunscreen i've ever tried. it's like a light oil free moisturizer that leaves you looking fresh and not at ALL greasy or shiny. It sinks right into your skin.

I'm waiting to see if it makes me break out. But if not, this will be my new favorite and onlyyy sunscreen from now on.