December 22, 2014 | 1825 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #130 Short Duo Fibre Brush

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this for cream blush and bronzer. I felt that this brush felt pokey. I do feel that this brush does the job of blending cream products well BUT I have a cheaper brushes (Sonia Kashuk, EcoTools, etc) that do way better and much cheaper! I had to return this brush because it was not worth it at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by cherylf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My first brush shed like crazy, so I exchanged it and the second one is MUCH better. I don't wear foundation, but I use this to apply concealer where necessary and it's great. Would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

This would have gotten five stars had it not been for all of the shedding. Maybe I just got a dud, but everytime I use this brush to apply my liquid foundation, I end up having to pick little bristles off of my face. Also, the hairs seem to kind of fray out easily, so you need to be very careful when storing this brush (I recommend a good brush guard). That being said, based on performance alone, this brush is definitely deserving of a 5/5.

MAC's 130 brush is like a smaller, more densely packed version of the 187 Stippling brush (so if you love that, then you should definitely give 130 a try). It's small (the head is probably the size of a quarter) and densely packed so it gives great, precise application in areas like around the nose and eyes where a standard sized stippling brush would be too large to allow for precise application. Since this brush is densely packed, it allows for lots of control (yet it still has give). I mainly use this brush for liquid foundation because I find that I have to use very little product to get even, flawless coverage. Have you ladies ever experienced streakiness when applying liquid foundation with your fingers or a standard flat foundation brush? Well, never with the 130 brush. The best way to describe the finish that this brush provides is smooth and air-brushed.

Apart from liquid and cream foundations, I also like to use this brush for cream blushes and bronzers (best brush I've ever used for cream products since it distributes them so sheerly). Though this brush DOES work for powder blushes and bronzers, it's not my favorite. I think that a standard blush or contour brush would be better for powders.

Ladies be aware that this does not pick up tons of product so the coverage of your foundation may be sheerer than what you're used to if you use a regular foundation brush. For me that's a good thing though. This brush will never make you look cakey.

At $42 US, this brush is pricey as hell, but since it's so multi-purpose and high quality, I consider it well worth it. And if you take proper care of it, it will last you for years. I usually wash this with very gentle shampoo (baby shampoo is great if you have it). Be careful when washing though, because as I said the bristles have a tendency to splay.

And for anyone wondering, this brush is a blend of both natural and synthetic fibers.

Also, the Sigma F80 Flat Top brush is similar to MAC 130 for those of you who like the idea of this brush but not the price tag. Sigma's brush is slightly wider and flatter, but it essentially does the same thing.

To sum it up, I love the the effect and ease that this brush provides when applying my creme and liquid products, but I could definitely do without the shedding and splayed bristles. I will purchase again if I ever need to.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2011 5:07:00 PM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

UPDATE: 1/5/2012 - this brush is STILL shedding. I gently stipple so it is not like I abuse the dumb thing. At this rate there will no bristles left in a few months. What a disappointment!!! ----------------------Disappointed with this brush. The first 2 times using it there were probably 20 sheds of hair I had to pluck off my face. The 3rd time finally no more hairs. But I also washed it because I was annoyed with the heavy shedding. Maybe I got a dud. The bristles feel like I am stabbing foundation into my pores. It isn't a gentle feeling brush. I like my TBS brushes better and they are half the price. I'm glad I got this for a gift and didn't buy it myself. I'll keep it til it dies but I will not run out and get another. I'll try Sigma next.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by FlyboyTCX

Okay, well after hearing so much hype about this brush I put it on my 'Must Haves'. Got it christmas day and only used it a few times, Decided I would work out how to use it before I actually use it to get ready for college etc. Firstly the brush is very dense and I found that I use a lot less foundation (MAC Matchmaster No1) using the MAC 130 than any other method. Theres definatley a technique to using this brush as the first time I used it I looked a mess. Then I decided Id very lightly apply the foundation in a stippling motion and gently buff in circular motions. Fab it worked, I had a little less coverage than Im use to, however my foundation didnt look cakey or too much.
In terms of price, I purchased this from a MAC counter for 28.50 which is on the pricey side for one brush but then again its MAC! The first time I used it I didnt get any shed at all which was a major plus. Adam x

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by Eolo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love these brushes and this one is the most perfect blush to apply my cream blush and NARS Multiples.

The bristles are dense and it allows for precise application of blushes and blends them to the point where you get that flushed from within look. Yes, it is an incredibly expensive but properly taken care of, it will last you forever.

I haven't tested it for foundation application because I'm currently wearing a powder foundation (NARS Powder Foundation) and the opportunity hasn't risen yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by MitchieCatalano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This brush is amazing for everything, foundation, blush, contour, base all over the lids, etc..... I bought this brush when it first came out with one of the collections and i recently repurchased it again so i can use it for other things when i need it. it's perfect, small, and dense unlike most stippling brushes it doesn't shed at all unlike the 109 and it's also much smaller than the 109. It will shed like three hairs when you wash it when you first get it but that's about it! so simply this brush is heaven!! ^_^

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by manishap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was sold this brush at the counter to apply liquid foundation. I didnt not like it thought covergae was not right how ever i have been using this brush to apply creame blush and i love it. I also use it sometimes to apply powder blusger and i have had no problems.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2011 2:57:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

The best brush for cream blushes. I have broken capillaries on my cheeks and never feel cream or gel blushes look right; my cheeks just look redder,not flushed or healthy, when I use my fingers. The small, short head is perfect for the apples giving you control over exactly where you want color, rather than smearing with my fingers, and you can blend those quick-drying gels and tints super quickly and evenly with this brush. MUA are such experts using their fingers with creams, but I'm no professional so like the ease and control of a brush. If you want that wash of color and dewiness of a cream brush but feel finger application looks uneven, get this brush!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 7:40:00 AM More reviews by 3buzyboyz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.
I've used foundation brushes, but not stippling ones before. This brush allows for flawless application of my foundation like no other. I am thrilled with the results.