Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 6/30/2013 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Updated: Nov 2014, a year+ from last edit (had to change my original post to accommodate what I've learned after several years)

MY SKIN: Combo/Acne-prone/Sensitive. Difficult to describe, a pain to deal with. Some areas turns into an oil slick within several hours. While being dry/patchy at the same time. The poster child of Contradiction. Easily affected by weather/diet/water temperature/how frequently the towel on the pillow changes/etc. Needs effort to strike a balance between all of these. Hyperpigmentation marks that refuses to fade after many years. Several pitted acne scars. Yellow and olive undertones (of East Asian descent). Prominent dark under-eye circles.. Currently learning to love it, despite some issues. As of now, pretty okay and smooth in some areas, but still finicky and break-out prone/reactive.

MY DISPOSITION: Long history of I-hate-my-skin-my-skin-hates-me short: name a product, natural or man-made, I've probably used it. HARDCORE research and epiphany induces philosophy of minimalism in the number of skin care and makeup used. The ingredient list comprehensive and shorter still. Results: life altering changes to my physical & mental health; Wallet-friendly, animal-friendly, environment-friendly.

PRE-LUCY: Modeling after my (ex-)skin care routine, used all kinds of stick, liquid, powder, and cream foundations and concealers over the years. Broke out from nearly all of them. Vicious cycle of break-out-cover-up-break-out-AGAIN. Believe skin would not have gotten as bad as it got if I hadn't used so many different foundations with so many damaging ingredients. Started looking into mineral makeup w/o results. Settled with MAC's Studio Finish Concealer nc35 for a long time (years) - giving my skin time to steadily improve - and used it almost as one would use a foundation. Couldn't cover dark circles and acne marks completely with it but had decent results. Believed that was the best it was going to get for my skin.

I now use a Golden Medium and Medium Olive custom mix + Snow White to control the depth of color according to seasonal changes/how pale or tan I get. (The original formula definitely breaks me out a little, so I'm sticking to the Light formula. But remember that I have extremely sensitive skin.) LOVE the finishing powder, really smoothes out the look at the end. If you are of Asian descent and need a bit of boost matching undertones, please read: http://musicalhouses.blogspot.com/2010/01/undertones-for-asians-how-to-tell-if.html

LUCY: It's pretty much my "home" foundie now. I've been using it for several years. I hate to over-idealize anything I use, as I have quite high standards despite being on a budget. But this is the happiest I've been with anything I've used so far. It's holding up well in the California heat (it's going up to 115 degrees these days). The texture is not powdery (meaning it doesn't fly all over the place) at all. It is very creamy and dense. Another good thing about Lucy is that it contains a lot of physical sun blockers so I feel safe to skip sunscreen most days. It is also completely waterproof when worn on top of sunscreen (went swimming in it). However, it is not oil/rub-proof. To remove this and other makeup, I just rub EVOO all over my face (use a cleanser after, sing Happy Birthday twice, as that is how long it takes for soap to break apart oil) and it works amazingly well, considering I wear mostly waterproof things because of my straight lashes & eye shape/Cali heat.

The best part about Lucy is the coverage! Wow, nothing, and I mean NOTHING has impressed me this much in terms of coverage. In my previous experience, I always had to sacrifice natural-looking skin in order to achieve the coverage I wanted. But with Lucy, I get the most natural looking makeup job I can get while covering all of my imperfections - acne marks & all. Even if I am in a hurry and don't have the time to layer on little by little (as another reviewer said, it's hard to retrain myself to not pile it on as I've always done with other foundations), it still comes out pretty lovely. I can't explain it. It makes my face look so.. pleasant. And this is the ONLY thing I have found that actually covers AND stays covering my dark circles all day.

I went to a clinic a couple of days ago, and the person at the counter paused to look at my face and said my skin looked "very pretty". I honestly can't remember the last time someone told me something like that. It was 108 degrees that day and I was running on 5 hours of sleep each for the last several days. I was also in a rush and skipped everything other than Lucy Light, finishing powder & blush.

I adore it, but it's not without its flaws. Afterall, nothing is absolutely perfect (but this is pretty close for me). For one thing, when I'm oilier, I must use the finishing powder under AND over my foundation, which greatly helps the longevity of my makeup. Also, for those of you who are saying that LM makes you oilier than not wearing any, after reading other people's experiences with other types of mineral makeup, I think makeup with ZO/TO can make some people's skin a lot more oilier, or help control oil, depending on skin type. Another thing to be aware of is that the colors are slightly different between the different formulas.

All in all, a wonderful, versatile, bare-bones product.

Edit 3/25/15: I couldn't use this for a while because I am going through a very dry skin spell. After trying 5 different foundations from low to high end and wasting a lot of money, I realized that I will have this issue with makeup making my skin looking far worse no matter the brand because I didn't have a proper moisturizer. I went through several moisturizers & finally found that a drop of veggie glycerin in my aloe vera spray and piling on Cerave Moisturizing Cream on top of my usual routine pretty much eliminated the problem. This is still my fav foundation so far and I'm SO GLAD I can wear it again.

on 6/24/2013 2:22:00 AM

I really like this stuff! It has the distinction of being the only makeup I have ever used that blended into my skin-tone perfectly, a seamless color match. You can actually get your color match custom-blended, which is so nice, especially if you have a difficult skin-tone to match. After I tried samples, I realized that my perfect blend would be half of the Fair shade mixed with half of the Pale Olive shade. Literally, that is my exact skin color. I was so happy! I like how pigmented the minerals are, that I can put some on a small fluffy brush to use as a concealer. Even if I'm wearing liquid foundation instead, I will still use this as concealer for zits and for my dark circles, as long as I've really moisturized. It really covers amazingly well!

The only thing that made it a little difficult to get the hang of using this was that it is so pigmented and creamy for a powder, you really need very little. I have a tendency to want to slather my face in it and I really had to break that habit. Small layers! that needs to be one's mantra with this. I also found that I need a primer underneath this (I use Tarte's BB primer) and the finish stays nice all day. Without a primer, on me it seems to go a little patchy by the end of the day. I have dry/combo skin, for the record.

I definitely recommend trying samples! I tried all the formulas too and settled on the Lucy Light formula since I'm so sensitive. There are oil control options too, plus the standard formula that has added antioxidants.

I've found that I get a lot of compliments on my skin when I use this... and when I mention I'm wearing a lot of makeup, people are shocked! So evidently it is undetectable. Someone even once said I had an ethereal glow, and this was all I was wearing. I was very flattered! And I think having such a good shade match really makes all the difference.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

For the longest time, I hated, loathed, and went out of my way to avoid mineral foundations. After a brief experience with Bare Minerals left my skin wrecked, I vowed to stay away, and scoffed at the women who worshipped the holy trinity of Bare Minerals, Pur Minerals...and whatever other mineral makeup made its way into the market.
But along came Lucy.
I was intrigued by the reviewers who mentioned the full coverage effect. Given that no matter how much Bare Minerals I applied I couldn't get even the slightest imperfection to go away, I was skeptical. Luckily, Lucy Minerals will send Try-It sizes for $2.50. I was sold and had one sent my way.
I guess other users have nicer skin than I, because full coverage couldn't be achieved without layers and layers of this stuff. It did end up looking cakey, but not terribly so. Lesson learned: Lucy Minerals does not a full coverage foundation make.
Disappointed, I settled for using it as a setting powder when I ran out of my beloved Milani Multitasker, which will be HG for me for life. I never thought a simple, cheap mineral foundation could stand on the same pedestal as Milani, until I took a small amount on my ELF Studio Powder brush and used to to set my Wet n Wild Coverall Cream.
And it was love at first sight.
My pores vanished, my skin got extra coverage and looked oh so smooth (not a dry flake was emphasized), and my face looked flawless. Despite my oily tzone, there was no need for retouching. I got so many compliments I immediately placed an order for the full sized foundation.
So I guess if you're like me, with problematic skin, this won't be a fix-all. But using it to set any liquid product equals pure magic. And in that regard, it's a keeper.

on 6/6/2013 4:58:00 PM

Seriously, what's not to love about Lucy Minerals foundation? The foundation offers great coverage (in fact better coverage than I've been able to get with most liquid foundations; a friend tried it and was amazed with how much coverage she got with just one swipe), doesn't break me out, has fantastic staying power (I fell asleep with it on once, and when I woke up my foundation still looked good!), you can have it customized to match your skin tone perfectly(you just have to email the company and tell them what shades to use and how many parts of each shade to mix). Oh and on top of all that, it is very reasonably priced at $15 dollars and lasts for a long time since you only need to use a little to get good coverage. Did I mention you also get to support a little indie company?? Sure their website looks a little dated, but it's charming! I am absolutely in love with this foundation and have been using it for the last few months and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I would suggest buying a few samples first so you can experiment and come up with the best match for your skin tone before purchasing the full sized tub.

on 6/3/2013 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted SO bad to like this foundation. I really did. I bought sample sizes in Cream and Pale Olive of the original, silica, calcium carbonate, and lucy light formulas. The only thing that I really liked about this foundation was the colors; Pale Olive was a perfect match, although I could definitely wear cream if I wanted to, I just tended to gravitate towards the Pale Olive. So yeah, colors are great. Lots of variety. Five stars for the color selection.
I washed, exfoliated, and moisturized my face with CeraVe moisturizer, but I later used Eucerine facial moisturizer with sunscreen. The foundation applied really nice with a flat top buffer brush from coastal scents. At first, it looked a little dry and cakey and I was feeling kind of mehhhh, but five minutes passed and when I looked in the mirror again in natural lighting, it looked absolutely flawless. Totally amazing. I was stoked. But, to my dismay, another ten minutes passed and I went to look in the mirror again. What did I see? OILY MESS! My skin looked oilier than it normally does with no makeup on! What the hell? I tried all the formulas and even the oil control made my face look like an oil slick. And when I touched my face the makeup would come off on my fingers. I tried all the formulas and even switched my moisturizers back and forth, and even tried different setting powders. Nothing worked. I went to my lighted mirror to tweeze my brows when I had the powder on and I was literally disgusted. Everything had separated and looked totally cakey, and I barely used any product, AND I used a light hand! Guess I'm just one of those unlucky people that Lucy did not agree with. I would order a sample size and try it out, because all the reviews here seem to love it. So sad :(

on 4/24/2013 1:55:00 PM

I tried the original formulas... Awful. Looked cakey and dry and unnatural. Then I tried the Lucy Light. Amazing! Goes on so smoothly and looks like beautiful, healthy skin! So impressed. Definitely order samples to find color match and formulation that works best for you.

on 4/15/2013 9:30:00 PM

I have tried many many foundations (liquid, powder, cream, airbrush, minerals, etc.) from high end to drug store brands. I have found many that I like but none that I love..... until Lucy Minerals! I was using a liquid foundation and setting it with Bare Minerals because I liked the glow that Bare Minerals gave but hated Bare Minerals on its own ( too powdery looking, not enough coverage, settles into lines, makes pores appear larger). Bare Minerals looked decent when used very lightly as a setting powder but still nothing amazing. I got tired of using a primer then layering my liquid waiting for it to dry and then putting bare minerals over it so I started looking for a easy one step full coverage mineral foundation. After reading the reviews on here about Lucy Minerals I decided to try it along with Lauress Minerals. I ordered some lauress samples and then went to order some lucy samples. The Lucy site was having a special ( Buy one get one free!!!) so I decided to buy 2 full size foundations instead of samples since it was such a good deal! I am soooooo glad I did! I absolutely LOVE lucy minerals! the finish is flawless. I cleansed and moisturized and then my buffed lucy foundation in with a flat top kabuki style brush. It looked like perfect skin. Not powdery, not heavy, no smell, no glitter, no caking, no settling into lines... just perfect! I wore it all day (at least 10 hrs) and it stayed on really nice and didn't crease up around my eyes or smile lines. THE BEST FOUNDATION EVER! I love that its minerals and has very few ingredients, but even if it was a different formula or wasn't mineral I would still love it because it makes my skin look so nice!

I am about NC 15 to NC 20 in MAC and CREAM or LIGHT in Lucy Minerals both work great for me. Cream is slightly more yellow where light is is more neutral but still a warm color. They have an amazing shade range so you will definitely find a prefect color! And if you find your perfect match by mixing one or more of their coors they will custom mix colors for you!!!! SO AMAZING!

I was also sent a sample of one the the eyeshadows with my order which is really nice. I can't wait to try out more of their products!

Best of all its CHEAP!!!! $15 FOR 10oz compared to Bare Minerals which is $27 for 8oz! Since its hard to tell which shade will work for you they offer trial sizes which have a pretty good amount for $2.50 each.

on 4/10/2013 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I honestly thought my days of using a powder foundation were over but after reading the reviews for Lucy Minerals I thought, what the heck-give it a shot. I am an NC-25 in MAC Studio Fix and I wear C2 in MAC Face and Body and I selected Creamy Bisque based on some comments from the makeup board. It's a lot cheaper than both Alima and Bare Minerals. I liked Alima ok but hated Bare Minerals. Creamy Bisque is quite yellow and I was a bit skeptical when I received my foundation in the original formula. Once I compared it to my MAC foundations I realized I look best in fairly yellow foundations. I ordered the original formula. I applied it over some Avon primer I had and used a flat top brush from Ecco Tools to apply it. I figured with my fine lines, a primer would be prudent and I have tried it with primer and moisturizer and primer alone. Primer alone seems to work best and the wear of this foundation is great!! The coverage is awesome but it's best to start out quite light and apply in layers.It's probably the creamiest of all the mineral foundations I've tried and I think that might make it particularly good for aging skin like mine. I looked like I had just great skin! It does need to kind of "melt" into my skin for it to look it's best though. I am WAY impressed with this foundation and so glad I gave it a shot. I received my order very quickly as well. I was also reading the ingredient label and there seems to be some good antioxidants in the formula as well as zinc and titanium dioxide which are both very good sunscreens. I hope it wears as well once the weather gets hot and humid here. If it holds up, I think I've found my HG of a summer foundation. Love it!!

on 4/3/2013 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am not new to the mineral makeup scene, as I tried many and I have a long standing allegiance to Silk Naturals as I really like their makeup and service.

I really bought this because I saw it as a high rating on the MUA top picks tab, and although I was taking a break from mineral makeup as I love liquid more, I thought why not.

Anyways, I bought lots of samples which took a while to get to me, over a week. I got all the lighter colors in different formulas: light, pale olive, cream, bisque, light medium, creamy bisque in Orignal, Light, OCS (Oil Control Silica), and OCC (Oil Control Calcium Carbonate).

I liked the colors, I think the ones I like the most are light and creamy bisque.

As for the formulas:

Original-very creamy but it cakes up and accentuates fine lines and dry patches.

OCC- very chalky texture, controls oil good enough but the finish seems a little matted and chalky like.

OCS- smoother texture not creamy like original but silica controled oil better than the calcium.

Lucy Light- I think my favorite, looked most "like skin" on me and wasn't too heavy. The downside is that it has no oil control what so ever and in a couple hours it showed.

Overall I probably would repurchase and use this as a "work day" makeup.

on 3/23/2013 7:50:00 PM

-Types I used: Oil Control with Silica & Calcium Carbonate
-My Skin: Combo/Oily
-My Best Color Match: Bisque (approx NC15-20, a little neutral) If you're more NC20 then try Light Medium. Medium seems more for an NC25. Creamy Bisque may be closer to an NC30, more yellow.

This was my first time trying a mineral foundation. I have always been skeptical about whether I would get enough coverage with a mineral foundation because I'm used to using a med-full coverage foundation since I have red acne scarring and uneven, oily skin.

It took about two attempts to get used to the application but once I did, I loved the coverage. It wasn't flat, but was more luminous or glowy. *I used the Sigma F80 and 82 to apply* After a week I started noticing that my pores were more pronounced and skin looked parched. Eventually I stopped using it as a foundation. However I found a new use for it since I ordered so many samples...

I found that I love using it as an under eye concealer! It sort of reminds me of what a Laura Mercier Secret Brightening powder would look like if it came in other colors. Lucy's MIneral foundation isnt quite as fine and silky as LM's SB powder but it gives a more luminous glow to your undereyes. You can build up the mineral foundation under your eyes unlike some liquid concealers which can end up cakey if you overapply. BTW, I used the MAC 286, a duo fibre brush to apply the foundation to my undereye area.

Even though I wouldnt buy this product again to use as a face foundation, I will buy it again for my undereyes. The sample size ($2.50) lasts quite a long time and I was very surprised by that because the container is tiny and I always use alot of foundation. Eek. Another thought is you can buy the Snow White color, a white, to mix if you need a lighter color. I dont think buying the Finishing Powders are a necessity because I tried it and didnt notice any benefits. I used my trusty LM Translucent or Maybelline Dream Matte powder and they worked fine.