September 2, 2014 | 1960 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by LittleViolet

I have been having the worst luck with brown hair dye lately. I did iced chocolate and my hair is inky black. I guess I will also have a review for Oops color remover. It is shiny, but sooo fake looking, and I am almost 34 years old so I can't pull off the jet black hair look. I wish I didn't need to color my hair at all but I am getting grays.

Honestly it may be due to the water where I live (very minerally and drying to my hair and skin) so my hair may have been extra porous. However, I did not look up the reviews for this product before using, so I should have chosen a much lighter (if any) color.

I had high hopes because while it was on because it didn't turn my roots orange/fried nor did the color get purple. Oh well. I wish I had done this before a long weekend so I could have fixed this. How horrible. There is mild shine but my hair is flat, flat, flat and looks so fake. :( Every time I walk by a mirror I get depressed. I really hope CVS carries Oops color remover.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2012 11:01:00 AM More reviews by jenn8779

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me preface this review by clearing up some of the statements made in other reviews of the product. First, this is a semipermanent hair color, meaning its not going to lift and change your existing hair color. So, if you have black hair, its not going to make it red. If you have brunette hair, its not going to make it blonde. Additionally, semipermanent hair color tends to come out much darker, especially after you've freshly colored with it, in order to keep the shade in longer as it fades in about 28 shampoos, so you may want to go a shade lighter if you are worried about a too deep shade or are stuck between deciding amongst shades. In order to get the best results, you need to understand this will work best if you are staying within approx 2 shades of your natural color. Any desires for a drastic hair color change really need to be made in a salon. All of that being said, this product is now my preferred semipermanent hair color product, even over my former fave- natural instincts. My hair is a medium brown with warm undertones, I used the shade "Truffle", which is a medium natural brown. The scent of the color is very similar, except lighter, to most of the L'Oreal hair colors. Once applied, the product looked like a melted chocolate bar on my head and the color result was a nice chocolate brown. I have some grays, approx 20% maybe? And this completely covered them which no other semi permanent product has ever done. Additionally, it rinsed out like a dream and my hair felt great even before using the after color conditioner that came in the box. Oh, and that conditioner left my hair super silky without it being weighed down and they give enough for several additional weekly conditioning treatments. My hair was exactly my natural color, all grays covered, was super shiny and felt in better condition that it was prior to coloring. This is a 10 minute color but the box recommended leaving it on for 15 minutes for resisitant grays so that is what I did. I was truly impressed with this product and would definitely repurchase it. Depending on what a friend might be looking for in a hair color, I'd recommend this one if it would fit their needs.

16 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2012 4:27:00 AM More reviews by frankenstain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Worst experience with a hair dye I have ever had in my life so far. I picked the color 'Dark Blonde Latte' a couple shades darker than my usual honey blonde and it turned my hair dark, almost black, brown. I actually had to bleach my hair to fix it and I really didn't want to. Want to sue.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by maekay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

My "buy again" rating is a light yes. I recently had a self-inflicted hair-coloring debacle over the weekend that involved L'Oreal Excellence (in a shade(Light Auburn) I see now could NEVER have taken successfully given my hair's shade prior JF light golden brown <----is actually WAY dark!). With orange roots developing at a rapid pace I hopped in the shower, washed 3x w/ shampoo and took one look in the mirror----panic----then, blow dry, change out of pj's, shoes, keys, purse and onward to Meijer's at 2 am where nobody would be on a Saturday night, oh, and thank goodness for the self-checkout! So! Purchase of 1 Color Oops, & 1 box of Revlon Colorsilk in Light Brown. I chose Colorsilk because it's ammonia free, well-rated here on MUA, and I figured my hair would've been through enough after the application of Color Oops and the 25 min. shower that follows. Woke up the next day to med. brown hair that was parched and roots that looked too light. How to fix this?? I recalled my hair stylist telling me that semi-permanent colors are better for your hair because they're so conditioning. I had tried Herbashine way back when I first started coloring at home to save $ and remembered getting nice results. That's what was needed here to add some weight and better color tone to my poor, anemic strands! (especially at the top of my head!) I ended up settling on L'Oreal Healthy Look instead because there was just a much better selection of colors. I chose Medium Golden Brown and lucked out with a sale and $5 in Extracare Bucks, so this box of dye only cost me $1.79, woo hoo! I left the dye on for the max. recommended amount of time, 15 min. I wanted it to set in as much as possible to really take to my roots and smooth them. Actually worked like a charm! Color is pretty much the same as when I had started, BEFORE the L'Oreal Excellence. Application was a total cinch with this, it is a bit gloppy and I wish they would've provided better quality gloves. I think since my hair was sooo damaged and had a nice base color in it from the Colorsilk it came out pretty fab. Nobody at work today once asked me if I had colored my hair recently=I pulled it off! I'll probably have to stick with semi-permanent color for the rest of the month to give my poor hair a break, as well as lots of deep conditioning. Nevertheless, the JF is SO purged from my hair and I'll get to start fresh with a new permanent color either by the end of this month or top of the next month. Shoulda done Color Oops and Colorsilk to begin with! Live and learn, ladies ;) I know I'm in the minority of positive ratings for this product but I think it probably only works best, as is the case with semi-permanent color, if you're planning to go darker and not far from your natural/starting shade. Conventional hair color wisdom applies here: err on the side of caution and buy a lighter shade than you think you want. I wanted darker just to be good and certain my roots would even out. I'll probably stick with this for the next dye session this month and go with light brown then.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hmmmmm I have always been using natural instincts by clairol but they changed their formula recently and now I hate it. I decided to try this new "healthy look" by loreal and see how it works!

I had ULTRA light blonde hair that was on the yellow side of neutral color. I bought the loreal healthy look creme gloss hair color in "8 1/2 blonde white chocolate" after having about 1 cm of new growth!

This hair color blended my new growth into the rest of my hair PERFECTLY i can barely barely notice where my root line was..only if I get up extremely close into the mirror can I tell. This is good! Although im concerned now that this will leave a distinct line when my roots grow out but hopefully not.

This shade does have ash in it because it really toned down the yellow shade in my hair to a more natural kind of blonde which is great because I want to go back to my natural hair color (medium dirty blonde).

The part I didnt like was applying it. It was creamy but really runny at the same time and was consantly spouting out of the container making it hard to apply it perfectly (annoying!). And after I washed my hair my hair is NOT soft and silky but it feels REALLY dry (and I even used an expensive salon hair conditioner too) so thats not so great.

Overall..great color...great blendability...not so great packaging and not moisturizing at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 1:03:00 AM More reviews by pocky

I stopped coloring my own hair years ago after I finally understood that it's nearly impossible to get the results I wanted from a box. I have nearly black hair, which should only be trusted to a professional. Hair as dark as mine will always turn brassy no matter how cool the color I choose. My hair absolutely needs to be double processed if I want to avoid brassiness. Even my highlights have to be double processed if I want cool-toned brown highlights.

From what I know about haircolor, I finally decided I would be okay with a semipermanent haircolor, especially since I mainly wanted to cover up my highligts. I don't dare color my hair myself with a permanent color since hair as dark as mine will lift red and then orange. I picked Healthy Look because Iced Chocolate (cool chestnut brown) was the color I liked the most out of all the box colors in the store. It turned out to be the perfect chocolate brown I had always wanted. It covered my ugly highlights perfectly and my hair was so shiny and healthy! I also love the conditioner. Since my hair is short, I had enough conditioner left over to condition my hair for weeks (I only shampoo my hair 2-3x a week).

One thing to keep in mind about this product is that it does not contain peroxide and therefore will not lighten hair. You'll get the best results if you pick a color similar to your own in lightness. Iced Chocolate is a dark brown shade, which is why it works for my almost-black hair. It gives me a chocolate brown tone and covered my highlights. Also, as we have all been told, don't go by the color of the model's hair on the box. And do not ever pick a color darker than your own or the results will be permanent. I've used Iced Chocolate enough times to know that I picked a good color for me, and Healthy Look is a very good semipermanent hair color. Be realistic about the results you can achieve, choose carefully, follow the directions, and you can't go wrong.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2012 10:39:00 PM More reviews by lillyloveletters

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

5***** OUTSTANDING. I got an amazing color (I bought shade 2 - black) and a lot of people complimented my hair. The color looked better after I washed it once - for some reason it looked a bit "too shiny" on the first day but after that it looked amazing. It's the best hair color I've ever used, I love it. I also like that it's semi-permanent, so that it doesn't last forever and I can leave my hair natural when I wish, I don't have to die it again. The shade I got is exactly the one on the cover. When I put the product on my hair, it was NOT itchy, and did NOT smell bad, it was like a shampoo and it was the first time I was not going crazy because of chemicals in my hair - I couldn't feel anything in my hair and was suspicious while waiting for it to color my hair and then.... I got the amazing results. I DEFINITELY recommend this product to everyone who wishes to have black hair, you will love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by ridemebigsheIdon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

BAD BAD BAD.

Like the reviewer prior to me I selected the light auburn color.

My hair, usually a level 6 red, is basically a dark burgundy color. This is nowhere near "light".

DON'T BUY THIS. I can't wait to wash my hair a couple hundred times to fade this junk out.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2012 3:16:00 PM More reviews by minidigits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

AWFUL RESULTS.
I bought the 6RR Light Auburn shade because it matched my current colour exactly when I held the box up to my head. After precisely following the directions, my hair turned out DARK PURPLE. L'oreal is refunding me for the purchase, but I now have to make an expensive visit to the salon which I obviously should have done in the first place...

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by nkar23

this is the only thing i use to color my hair. i like it because it isnt permanent, harsh and it looks natural. its easy to use and not too expensive. its also moisturizing. i use med golden brown and am happy with the color payoff. this is a good haircolor to use as a "treatment", bc its gentle and moisturizing. but i dont see it working for older people or those who need lots of gray coverage