April 20, 2014 | 878 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by adlavish

unfortunately. This broke me out badly I guess everyones skin is diferent. I'm very acne prone and mac studio fix powder plus didn't even break me out but this does !!! I will just stick to my studio fix, wanted to try this for the spf50 and its half the price but somehow in a about 3 weeks I hit the pan !!! Studio fix is definely worth the price unlike this cheap krap !!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Prncs06

I am impressed with the staying power and the finish of this product. I have oily, acne-prone skin. I purchased this product specifically for lighter coverage, which is what I prefer during the weekends, as opposed to the full-coverage foundation (I use MUFE mat velvet+) that I wear to work during the week. For light coverage, I am pleased with how this looks on my skin. It gives me a natural looking dusting of coverage, which does not appear chalky for me. It appears quite natural and barely like makeup at all, but does zap the oily shine of my natural skin. Although my skin is sensitive, this product has not broken me out, which is a relief. I have had issues with other powder-type foundations (such as bare minerals and a Neutrogena mineral powder I tried) breaking me out considerably. This product not only looks light, but feels light and therefore nice on my skin. I can tell my skin is still breathing underneath it.

Since I'm only aiming for the lightest coverage, I simply apply with a fluffy powder brush. I cannot say whether the product is buildable for heavier coverage since I do not intend to use it this way and have not tried. I do use concealer underneath for my under-eye circles, and light blush on top for added color. I will buy this again when I run out, if it still exists.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2012 8:53:00 PM More reviews by summerrose05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just bought this from RiteAid yesterday.. it was 75% off the original ridiculous price ($15), so I paid about $3.50 for it. That's honestly the only reason I bought it. You really take a gamble b/c you can't see the color of the powder through the packaging. Speaking of the packaging.. it's awful! I can't get the actual pressed powder to separate enough from the top of the packaging, so it was very difficult to wipe the product with the sponge applicator. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised by this powder. I have combo skin, and I was surprised that the dry flakes on parts of my face didn't show through as much as they do with other powder foundations. I'd say the coverage is medium; I definitely still needed concealer. It also lasted pretty much all day. I was brave enough to wear this for the first time at a job interview this morning.. thank God it didn't turn my face orange like other MUA users have said! It also hasn't seemed to make me break out. I think they're discontinuing it, but I don't know that I'd buy it again due mainly to the packaging and the fact that liquid foundations usually cover me better.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by YellowLantern

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

On the one hand I like that this is a high SPF powder that doesn't make my skin even more oily (like pretty much all lotion and liquid sunscreens that I've tried have). I used this when I was spending several hours outdoors in the Arizona sun (I made sure to apply it heavily and making sure to reapply every couple hours like one should with any sunscreen) and I did not burn or even tan.

So technically we all know that all sunscreens are supposed to be reapplied every few hours to maintain their SPF, but really how many of us actually do that? When our sunscreen is a lotion or liquid it's even harder to follow this rule because all those layers of sunscreen can ruin our other makeup. With this sunscreen being a powder it's easier to reapply and not look like a grease ball. This powder soaks up oil quite well so it's great for those of us with oily skin.

The major downside of this powder is that it looks quite thick and somewhat cakey on the skin. Regardless of whether I apply with the included sponge or a brush this powder is quite thick and not the most natural looking. You get the feeling that the SPF comes from the fact that this stuff feels like a powder mask on your face that nothing, not even UV rays can penetrate.

Extra care must also be taken to completely remove this at night too. This stuff wears like iron (for better or for worse) and is a b*tch to remove and I'm pretty sure it's caused some mild acne probably from the fact that this is so hard to remove. I recommend an oil cleanser or any other cleanser meant to remove heavy duty makeup. I'm undecided on whether I'll repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 2:26:00 AM More reviews by lonebinky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I finally found my HG foundation! I have tried a million foundations and this is the one.
    So I saw on nouveau cheap that this was on sale for 3.50 and that the writer of the blog really loved it so I ran out and got this. I'm glad I did!

I have flaky skin in places so at first I didn't have high hopes. I mean how could a powder foundation work for my skin when every liquid foundation I have tried has made my flakes and bumps more visible?
    As soon as I put it in I was in shock. It just glides on and coves all the red and sun spots I have on my face. After about 20 minutes of wearing it my skin glows. Powder foundation making my skin glow? Never though that would happen. This is seriously the most amazing stuff I have ever used. I actually went out and got another one today while it is still on sale :]

So the way I use it is first I apply L'Oreal Youth Code day/night cream (which I also love and am going to write a review about), then L'Oreal studio secret primer. everything blends in and just looks super natural.

Oh also the color in the pan isn't the color it becomes on the face. I got
    Translucent medium and its my exact color. I forgot what mac color I am but once I remember I will edit this and add what color I am.

If you are looking for a new foundation go out and try this while it is on sale!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2011 6:37:00 PM More reviews by prettyvalerina

This is becoming my hg powder foundation I don't know how I did without this before. I have more pros to say about this product than cons so I'll start there...first off I love that this has such a high SPF and in a powder form which I don't find much of. Also the consistency of this powder is easily buildable so if u feel u want more coverage then it's easily achievable. I do find on myself, for my acne scarring that it's still pretty sheer so I do have to pat on some concealer for that. It's not heavy feeling nor does it cake. Any touch ups that I've done I haven't had any caking either and that is very common for me with powder foundations ive found, because of my oily skin. I love this to set my foundation it makes my face look even more flawless. But love it even more on days where I'm in a hurry and need something to even out my skin tone. Now the cons: packaging!!! I hate it. Both of my compacts have broken in the same place. So I gotta carry around a broken bright orange and pink compact now. Then the color range sucks! Hence me always having to buy two colors to make my own shade (translucent medium and natural beige). Lastly is probably the price. But hey if it works it works and don't mind repurchasing two 15$ bright orange and pink compacts that will always break on me :) the product is what's important

rated 2 of 5 on 12/17/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by fortheloveoflipstick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Luckily I picked this up at CVS for either 50% or 75% off (can't remember which). I got both Translucent Medium and Natural Beige since I couldn't open them in the store to check the colors, and for that much of a discount, why not?
    Well, now I know why. First of all, in the pan, they look identical...and really pasty. The consistency is terrible. It's like you have to scrape it to pick up any product and it doesn't go on well at all. I just used it very lightly with a fluffy powder brush, which seemed to work a bit better than the provided sponge.
    Can you say, Holy Oxidization, Batman!? When I first applied the powder, it looked rather well and seemed to be the perfect color for my skin. 10 minutes later, I go to the bathroom and my face looked like I was the next roommate on the Jersey Shore. It oxidized super orange on my skin. I will NOT be repurchasing, and if I hadn't gotten it on clearance, I would return it.
    I'm very disappointed because I'm usually a huge fan of Physicians Formula products, but this one is total poo.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2011 10:22:00 AM More reviews by orangenotepad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this at the CVS beauty clearance for a steal(around $4). It gives me just the right amount of coverage(light to medium), I love that it has spf 50 in it, and it doesn't break me out. The transluscent medium shade is an almost perfect match for me.

Packaging is sturdy, but bulky for the size of the powder itself. I will buy more for the summer, especially at this price range, but not when it goes back up to $15.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by eskimo122

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

As other reviewers pointed out, the colors on this product run extremely light. I am very pale but purchased the translucent medium color and this seems appropriate for my skin color. The applicator sponge is useless as far as i'm concerned. I apply this with a big fluffy powder brush and have no application issues. Most importantly though, this product does what it's supposed to do - protect your skin from the sun! I brought my Healthy Wear powder on a road trip across Nevada/Utah/Colorado in July. I was outside in the sunlight for 8+ hours a day but my face never burned thanks to this product. That is the most important factor for me and that's why i give it such a high rating.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2011 4:13:00 AM More reviews by glitterandsmut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I'm a fan of PF mineral wear so I had high hopes for this. I purchased Translucent Light for around $15 and I am really disappointed.

First off, the price range for this brand is just ridiculous for drugstore cosmetics. For almost the price of a higher end brand I'm expecting something above par when it comes to drugstore here. Packaging I'm not terribly impressed with. I don't mind the colors but upon opening the compact the part that holds the pan of the pressed powder flops around flimsily in between the top and the section holding the sponge applicator. The potential for chipping/scraping makes me antsy when I see the product banging around like that.

There's no way to see the color of the product in store so upon opening it I was really shocked at how pasty white it turned out to be. But I thought, well it says translucent for a reason, right? Wrong. The consistency of the product is hard, I mean really really hard. So much so I felt like in order to even use it I would need to scrape at it to pick up any product. Once I managed to pick up any it applied like the texture of the product suggest; hard. It refused to blend out and just kind of sat on my skin... cakey? Chunkey? I guess I'll go with rough. I wound up looking even paler than I am, and I'm NC15!

This was developed with cancer patients in mind, and I suppose the high SPF might be a factor in the products consistency, but that does not excuse how poor quality this is. I was expecting something that would protect my skin and at least function like any other pressed powder, but instead the only use I can think of for this product would be as chalk. Because that's essentially what it is, expensive chalk for your face :/