December 20, 2014 | 1059 users online

Cleansers - Simple - Kind to Skin Refreshing Wash Gel

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Minou87

Overall a good cleanser, although nothing special over most other general gel cleansers. It did what it claimed and left my skin clean without drying it. Although it left my T-Zone a tiny bit oily and not as clean as I would have preferred, I believe this might be attributed to the fact that Simple is made for sensitive skin and does not contain any harsh products that are intended to "strip" the skin of oil.

The verdict? I would re-purchase this product in the future, but most-likely for the winter months when my T-Zone isn't as oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by np_7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this, so I've been using it for a while. This is a very basic, no frills cleanser that does the job. It doesn't lather much but that's ok. I have very oily skin and this cleanses the oil off my face every morning without making it dry or flaky. I've used other cleansers that claim to be gentle but they ultimately dried out my skin and made it feel tight. This is my go to daily morning cleanser at the moment.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I haven't tested this out yet. I am very acne prone and will update my review. However for those who want to know here are the ingredients in mine**:
* Water
* Cocamidopropyl Betaine
-shown some allergic reactions (I'm assuming this is due to it being derived from Coconut oil- which is also comodogenic- aka stuff clogs your pores)
- it is a foam booster
* Propylene Glycol
-this is what makes it a clear gel wash
* Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
-basically helps hydrate your skin
* Panthenol
-provitamin of B5
-helps with skin penetration
* Disodium EDTA
-shown to enhance the foaming and cleaning capabilities of a cosmetic solution
-it counteracts the adverse effects of hard water by binding with heavy metal ions contained in tap water, which in turn prevents the metals from being deposited onto the skin
* Sodium Hydroxymethylcinate
-prevents bacterial or fungus growth
-this has replaced parabens
-also known to irritate skin

**disclaimer: I am not a doctor, scientist or professional. The information was taken from a simple google search on the product names.

3/27/13 update: I have since discontinued using this. I found it did nothing for my skin. I'm not sure what I was hoping for but most cleansers just don't work for me. This is included in that bunch.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2013 9:15:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

This broke me out because as soon as i used this I had a couple of breakouts on my skin, it does however take off makeup but leaves the skin feeling very tight and dry and it claims that it's a simple brand but have you seen the ingredients?

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

This is an exceptionally basic gel cleanser that does not cause my skin to re-act. I have been using it for about a year and 1/2. The formula is a colorless gel that has no scent, and six ingredients. It does not lather much, but that's okay with me.
Simple does not leave my skin feeling dry or tight. I like to switch it up tho and go back to Dermalogica special cleansing gel once in a while.
I will keep buying Simple tho'. I do like the Refreshing Cleansing Gel.
I really do not like the packaging however. If you put the tube on the end (cap) it can leak out and get all over and you have wasted a lot. I wish they would change it to a pump type dispenser.
***UPDATE***It's been well over a year and I have decided to stop using this cleanser. I was having some bad break outs and I wasn't sure why. I'd read here on MUA that other reviewers felt this particular face wash left a film on their skin, and I believe that to be true. As soon as I stopped using this and tried something else (Acne.org cleanser~there is a review) the deep pimples stopped. I still gave it three lippies because I really liked it at first & I thought I had found my HG.
Not to be :' (
I am trying Neutrogena Ultra gentle cleanser. I will review that in two weeks, May 2nd, 2013
***UPDATE*** October 21st/2013
Well, I've tried: Dove, Aleppo Soap, Oatmeal, Avene's Cold Cream cleansing Bar, Pond's Cold Cream, went back to Special Cleansing gel for a minute...
Back to simple. I am trying it again without using the heavy moisturizer I was using last year (Impruv Cream) I will update in one month's time (November 23rd/2013)
***UPDATE***
December 2013
Well I had suspicion this cleanser was leaving a film, I found out for sure through researching The ingredients of this cleansing product. Indeed, the ingredient Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose forms a film on the skin. This is not good because this film over time compromises the skins natural hydrolipidic film (aka the acid mantle) Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is a plasticizer. Essentially we're talking about an occlusive film that is like plastic on your skin. No wonder my skin flipped out after using this for year. I tried washing my make up brushes with it, but the plastic film ruined them.
This stuff is garbage it's not even good for washing the floor with. Binned it. Done.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/8/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by MoodySunshine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know why so many people like this..... It says it for sensitive skin but it left my somewhat sensitive skin red and feeling hot. Also the next morning I found my face SUPER dry! Not at all impressed.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by ohcaitlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So far, this mild cleanser has been very kind on my skin. My skin feels so soft and clean after using this. I top this with the 'Simple Rich Moisturizer' and have had no problems so far. It's nice to see such a simple (*slaps knee*) product out there that is this effective!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sooo, the ingredients listed for this product on this review page are not the ingredients listed on my product. There is no sodium chloride or sodium hydroxide in my facewash of this name and brand. Weird. Anyways, I do enjoy this facewash. It does not break me out and it cleans my face well. It has no acne medicine in it (I am acne-prone and break out every so often), so when I do have breakouts I use something else. But for an everyday cleanser, this is great!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by kelciekr

I love this face wash! It really does good for my skin, with cleaning it and taking all of my make-up off without over drying or irritating my skin. I use it with my Clarisonic MIa, and the two put together really get the job done :) I definitely recommend this face wash. However, I like to think that the price is just a bit too high for a small tube. I wish that could change, but overall- its a great face wash!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by musey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE

It ended up being just a bit too drying for winter, so I've switched to Burt's Bees Radiance Facial Cleanser. I have found a great regimen with that at the top, please see my notepad if interested.

I still like Simple, and will have to see which cleanser works in the summer.

...

This is a near-HG face wash for me. I hesitate to say that any cleanser can work miracles, but in its simplicity (ha!), this wash makes my skin happier and more calm than any other I've tried. A lot of the redness I struggle with in my pale/ruddy complexion has faded away, and my skin is smoother/softer than I've ever seen it.

HOWEVER, it will not do the best job on hardcore makeup or sunscreen. I wear a very light and dry sunscreen (Elta MD) that this wash can handle as long as I use more than usual (which is about a pea-sized drop, it goes a long way). I don't often wear heavy makeup but when I do, I have to use Clinique soap to cleanse instead of Simple.

Other cleansers that have come close:

Purity foaming (works very well, but Simple is better + cheaper)

Burt's Bees lettuce soap (discontinued), and carrot which was too drying

Evan Healy cleansing milk (a bit too irritating/redness)

Clinique mild face soap (a bit too drying... like every other solid cleanser)

I am using this along with Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizer (lotion, not the gel), Aveeno Hydrocortisone cream for blemishes and neosporin cream for healing spots. That along with Elta MD facial sunscreen is keeping my skin the happiest it's ever been, so I don't think I'll mess with the regimen for awhile. continued >>