Chanel Chance

3.8

on 10/19/2013 5:22:00 PM

I love this perfume!!! It stays on forever and everyone compliments me on how great I smell whenever I put it on. Im currently on my third bottle.

on 9/20/2013 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My review is for Chance EDT, and I must agree with reviewer below when she says, "overwhelmingly spicy and peppery with a sharp citrus edge".

EDIT 5/2/15: See the end -- I just bought EDP version today, and it's much better -- smoother.

Back to my review of the EDT:

A little too peppery for me (pink pepper + patchouli) -- and it gets on my nerves a bit. I wish that aspect would fade away -- but it never really does, and I'm always aware of it. It smells prickly, like cayenne or paprika -- doesn't completely blend with the rest of the otherwise beautiful scent -- which is kind of annoying. I wish I could completely love Chance, and I keep trying (also Coco Mademoiselle, which is so similar).

Notes, per Parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Pineapple, Hyacinth, Iris, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Citruses
Base Notes: Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Notes, per Fragrantica: "There are pink pepper, lemon and pineapple in the top notes. The heart encompasses hyacinth, jasmine and iris, while the base is composed of amber, patchouli, vetiver and white musk."

I've had a small 1oz Chance EDT spray for a long time, and I've only used about 1/2 of it. I thought I'd give it a try again two days ago -- ugh, so sharp, spicy, thin, and *strong* -- even for an EDT. When it dries down, it gets more cohesive and blended, but there's still that pepper note that stays harsh and protrudes from the overall fragrance.

Many years ago, I came near a wonderful-smelling lady in the produce section of the grocery store -- and began trying to guess what her perfume was. I could tell it was a complex mixture -- with fruit & vanilla -- and I thought it might be Burberry Brit -- so I complimented & asked her perfume, and she said it was Chance. I liked it much better on her than I ever have on myself.

I have seen in long-ago articles that Anne Hathaway's perfume was Chance -- also Rita Ora, she said she loved it. But that was before they fronted other perfumes.

ADDENDUM 5/1/15: According to the May 11, 2015 Us Magazine, page 4, "What's In My Bag", the spilled contents of Nastia Liukin's bag includes a bottle of Chanel Chance, and in the photo it's EDT (has clear lid). Nastia, age 25, is a retired Olympic Gold gymnast & current competitor on Spring 2015's "Dancing With The Stars" (pro partner is Derek Hough).

ADDENDUM 5/2/15: I just bought the EDP today at Ulta and the EDP (solid mirrored lid) is much smoother. Still spicy but richer, smoother, and the notes come together better. Worth it to spend the extra money for EDP, in my humble opinion.

For EDT version I'd give 3 lippies -- but for EDP I'd give 4 lippies.

on 9/20/2013 9:25:00 AM

The initial strength of this fragrance put me off this, it is overwhelmingly spicy and peppery with a sharp citrus edge. For me this was one of those fragrances that give an instant headache. After a while though the dry down was much more pleasant and soft although a little boring. The fragrance description on Fragrantica says that pineapple is one of the top notes, and I can detect a very faint sickly sweetness like artificial candied pineapple, but for me this is eclipsed by the pink pepper. I have a large sample size of this and I wouldn't purchase a full size. It is not worth putting up with the initial strong spice notes to get to the very average floral heart of this fragrance.

on 9/15/2013 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely adore this scent, it's so, just..... PRETTY! However, for some reason it doesn't last long at all. 2-3 hours and I can't smell it anymore (I wear the EDP by the way) :(

on 8/24/2013 4:37:00 AM

This is the second bottle of Chanel perfume I've purchased and am I glad I did! The perfume has a wonderful floral fragrance which isn't too over powering and has great staying power as it's a EDP. The notes of this perfume probably makes it more suitable as an evening perfume, but I love it so much that I've been wearing it during the day as well haha! The price isn't cheap but one spray is all you need! Everytime I wear this perfume someone is bound to give a nice compliment about how nice it smells. I've only got the small bottle but will definitely get the large one soon as I run out! :)

on 8/20/2013 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've smelled this perfume a few times, it smells so gorgeous and fresh!

on 8/13/2013 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I am fortunate enough to have friends that give me expensive presents, this being one of them. I probably would never buy Chanel for myself (well, not now, as a cheap university student, anyway). I'm only 20 and at first sniff, I felt like this perfume was too mature for me. Since spraying it on, however, I feel like it compliments extremely well with my body chemistry and it now smells light, airy, sweet, and feminine. I feel very regal when I wear this. Very long-lasting, too! One spritz for my wrists and ears and another spritz for my chest and I'm set for the entire day.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

LOVE!

on 6/21/2013 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love all of the Chanel Chance perfumes and this one in particular. They all smell similar but this one is the most exotic smelling and lasts the longest. It's one of those perfumes that I have a very hard time describing; it is neither floral or citrus or amber but it's somehow all three. I love this perfume and get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

on 6/4/2013 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I LOVE Chance!
Ok now that I've said that
This scent has been my favorite and will continue to be, it comes of strong but then it morphs into the most delicate and oh so sexy daring wild beast. Maybe that's an over exaggeration but it does turn into a woody, musky, sweet and barely a floral scent. It's a sensual spicy composition
Patchouli and pink pepper are the main stars in this scent and they are definitely my favorite

Puts me in a great mood!
Lasting power is incredible even for the EDT, which is the one I have
Guys go kinda crazy, they always compliment :)

Popular Fragrances