Ecotools Alicia Silverstone 5-piece Brush Set

4.7

Before my actual review, I have to say, I have two of these and one is FAR more superior to the other. One I would maybe even toss out (or at least return) and the other I can't see myself living without. The crappy one that came in a box and the amazing one is one that just came in a double layered case. The one in the case has the better case. It has two compartments so it's great for travelling since you can fit a surprsing amount of any other brushes you may need in the spare compartment. Also, the stippling brush is amazing in one (a complete dupe for MAC 187) and pretty useless in the other (more like the Sigma ss187/f50). The stippling brush from the case is dense in the base but a little bit springy in the top so you can actually stipple on foundation with it! The stippling brush from the box is floppy and useless. I could maybe use it for cremeblush, but definatly not anything else. The blush brush from the case is incredibly soft and really nicely made/shaped/cut, while the other one is a tiny bit more course (which is no big deal since it's still very very soft, just not as soft as the usual ecotools brushes, but since I am comparing the two sets I have...) and not as tapered in cut. The angled shadow brush is very very nicely shaped and precisely cut in the set in the case while the set in the box came with an angled shadowed brush that was splayed out of shaped and looked worn out and a tiny bit course. The two brow groomers/lash combs were identical.

All in all, I'd say to check the brush quality BEFORE you buy because every kit it different. I'd give the set in the case a 10 out of 5 if I could, while the set in the box I'd probably give a 3 out of 5. I would pay $20 for the stippling brush alone (the one in the case) since it's the only stippling brush I've found except the MAC 187 that can actually stipple foundation and doesn't flop over.

I'd definatly repurchase (though I don't think i'll need to because all ecotools brushes are amazing, but if I lost it or something), but I'd check the brushes before I do

on 12/9/2010 7:26:00 PM

I bought this set for around $16 CDN. I would give this a 3.7 if makeupalley allowed decimals :)
Stippling Brush- I originally bought this set because of this brush but it's a disappointment. It's not dense enough to use for liquid and powder foundation so instead I wrap an elastic band around the base of the bristles and use this to apply blush or highlighter.
Brow brush and Comb- It's not too bad and not too good.
Eyeshadow Brush- This is bit of an odd brush. But I do use this to blend harsh eyeshadow lines and to apply a sheer wash of eyeshadow in a more precise shape. EDIT: I found a discontinued mac brush called the #275 and this brush is almost the same thing,from the pictures anyway.
Blush brush: It's actually smaller than the blush brush that they sell separately and this is my favourite brush out of the whole set.It's soft and dense enough to apply blush,highlighter and setting powder sometimes.I have a small face so this is the perfect size blush brush for me.
About the bag itself,I think the loops are great for travel and it's not too bad at all. I have a pencil case from staples that is almost the same thing but without the brush loops and the clear pocket.
Overall, I think this isn't a essential brush set and the other sets from ecotools are much better but I don't really regret the $16 I spent because I can still use the brushes for some purposes.

on 12/3/2010 6:24:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I bought this set mainly for the stippling brush. After testing it out, I was kind of disappointed. The stippling brush is flimsy and sparse. I tried to apply liquid foundation with it, but it takes more time and effort. I also feel like I am losing more product in the brush because it is not as dense. I still may use the stippling brush from time to time if i want my liquid foundation to look light and natural, but I prefer using a sponge for when I want more coverage.

The blush brush is more compact and the bristles are dense. While, I do like how it is dense I just wish the blush brush was a little.. bigger to give more off a natural buff look rather than making the blush look concentrated. I think the stippling brush is better to use for powders and light application of blush.

The eyeshadow brush is ok. It is very soft and great for putting all over lid color and doing subtle blending. Since it is big, it is hard to do detailed application and smudging.

The eyebrow comb and bristles are completely useless. I already have enough tools like those and I don't use those a lot. . I hate the fact that it is a filler.

Makeup bag: I actually like the makeup bag. I think that is one reason why I bumped up the rating to a 4 instead of 3. I like how it has two compartments, one for brushes, and the other one for whatever else you want to put in (makeup, curler). The makeup compartment can hold a good amount of stuff. It's a great bag to use when you are travelling lightly. The picture design of the bag is meh, but I care more for function over design.

Overall: The quality of the ecotools brushes are good. They are very soft, bristles are smooth, feels nice on skin, and they haven't shed on me yet. I am disappointed in that I paid about $14-15, but I expected better -performance- and use out of the brushes. If my brushes wear out, I will not buy this 5-piece set again. I would probably replace them with individual brushes. I think I might try the elf studio 11 brush set. You just get more usable brushes for your money. You can get it around the same price as the ecotools set (during 50% sales). The only con with the elf set is that it doesn't come with a makeup compartment in the brush case.

on 11/28/2010 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I hate the stipling brush.
Its only good for light powder products such as light seting powder or light application of blush.
The blush brush is okay, nothing special.
The eyeshadow brush has been thrown across my room too many times.
It is incapable of applying shadow properly, I just use it to blend.
The brow brush is just a filler brush for the set.
The case is nice I just wish the plastic part zipped as well.
Overall a major disapointment

on 11/18/2010 7:19:00 PM

This set is worth it if only for the stippling brush. I use it everyday to apply my foundation of choice. I don't have the mac 187 to compare but, I don't even care to buy that brush because this one is so great. The blush brush is also handy. I use it to apply ighlighter and blush. The bag is cute and its very convienent to take along because it has storage for both the brushes and make up. The only thing I didn't care for was the lash/brow comb. I think its rather useless for me but, still for all the items in this set it is a steal.

on 11/13/2010 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was searching for a stippling brush that I wasn't going to have to spend an arm and a leg for. I've always had good experience with ecotools and when I seen this is walmart I couldn't pass it up. Especially because the whole set was only $15! I would have bought just the stippling brush for that price had it been offered seperately. After getting the kit I've grown to like all the brushes. I had just used a sephora gift card and bought an angled blush brush and angled eyeshadow brush and I'm wishing I would have seen this set first. I now use these brushes more and the sephora ones are just sitting...The stippling brush is defenitely my favorite; it's very soft and does just like it's supposed to. I only use it with liquid but did try it once with powder and it did okay for that purpose. The fact that the brushes don't shed is amazing. I've noticed that with all my ecotools brushes, they never shed and I've always preferred them over my more expensive ones. Defenitely worth the money considering a relatively cheap brush usually starts at 15 bucks. With this kit you get 4 brushes and a case, I think that alone sales itself.

Bought these for $34.95AUD and they are worth every penny, even more. I've never really used brushes before, except occasionally a foundation brush, but these brushes, and the stippling brush in particulr, are AMAZING. You only need the tiniest bit of foundation with the stippling brush and it provides great coverage. Its also great for appplying powder.

Definitely will buy again, and will probably purchase some as gifts too. The only possible con I could think of is that $34.95AUD is a lot when they sell for like $15 in the US and our dollar is at parity, so I might try and get them cheaper online, but really, I'd pay double what I paid for these, they're just that good.

on 9/27/2010 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

OMG! The brushes are super soft! The blush brush is nice and dense! The finishing brush feels like it has the right amount of stiffness and the eyeshadow brush is also dense! I havent used these yet, but I feel like they're gonna wow me like heck! Yes, i'd buy this again and again. I should've bought more for back up in case it falls apart on me!!!!

edit: yes! This applies everything like a dream! Stippling brush stiff and dense enough for my thick BB cream! Better than my MAC SE brushes! The stippling brush is great for blush too! I'm actually buying a super pigmented blush just to see how it's gonna look like! Blush brush is dense and applies my blush without streaks! Eyeshadow brush great for a wash of color! The eyebrow brush nothing special, but I dont have one anyway!

on 9/22/2010 10:47:00 PM

They deserve the full mark. High quality and practical as usual. This time, the design for the brush case is even better. I love Ecotools. It is the brand never fails my expectation. Highly recommend!!!!!!

on 9/4/2010 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVE! I got this for $15 bucks on amazon and I would have paid more than that for the stippling brush alone! It even feels better than my MAC 187! I am going to try to get a set of these for family members for Christmas and maybe another 2-3 for myself. Absolutely LOVE that stippling brush!

Popular Makeup Brushes