July 29, 2014 | 1972 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 1:24:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lovely highlight. I like that it isn't white or off-white like many higlighters. It is sand-colored or champagne colored. I think it looks nice both sheer or more heavily applied for dramatic looks. It looks good on cheeks, eyes, tear ducts, nose, cupid's bow.

I had a hard time deciding between this and NARS Albatross. Albatross is a little more yellow. I also think it is a little more sparkly/bright. I REALLY liked Albatross though. I think the coloring of Mary-Lou looks better on different areas of my face. I thought Albatross only looked good on my cheekbones. So the versatility and the MUA boards helped me decide to go with Mary-Lou! When I went to Amazon to order, I had both in my basket. The price of ML had dropped to $16 since I added to my cart. It was a sign! Ha!

This is one of the best packages that I own. It is VERY sturdy. The mirror is great! Cute graphics. Stays SHUT!

A TON of product in this - likely a lifetime supply. I think they could reduce package size and cost.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by TheItsyBitsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this as a sample in a beauty subscription and ignored it for months. I recently got into doing contouring and I am so glad I have this now! I use it literally every day for an ultra fast simple low-makeup look.
The texture is super fine so it multitasks well as a highlighter and eyeshadow. The pale honey colour blends beautifully when applied with a light hand and is extremely flattering when applied heavy. It wears very well over the course of the day and despite my oily lids it not seem to creep into my crease like a lot of other shimmery powders.
Would buy again and am impressed enough that I am now looking into their other products.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by LorettaBellxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Beautiful highlight!!! I use it as a eye shadow!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Lforde46

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received an itty-bitty sample of this in my Birchbox and it's enough to last a lifetime. Shimmery but not glittery and very finely milled so it's easy to apply small amounts and then build. In the winter I would only use this on special occasions in a "c" configuration around my eye socket. I pat a tiny amount on top of my cheekbones to my temple and above my brow with the RT Setting Brush then pat below my brow with my smallest eye shadow brush. It is SUPER shimmery, so I can't emphasize enough that a small amount is plenty. If you start painting this stuff on you'll be disappointed and will think it won't work for you. If you don't see it enough on first application you can always go back over it a second time.

I found this MUCH easier to apply than Nars The Multiple in Copacabana. I made a real mess with that stuff and had to cover it up and start over.

The color looked silvery-white to me. Other reviewers stated it was too yellow or gold toned and I can see that in the photo, but in real life I didn't see that at all. In the summer I would switch to Betty-Lou Bronzer instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Gorgeous highlighter. Shimmery without that draggy glitter look. A complimentary colour for nearly all skin tones (works just as well on my friends with pale, peach undertones as it does on my medium beige yellow undertoned skin). The consistency is very smooth as it pretty finely milled like thebalms eyeshadows, and the product is very buildable. This highlighter is my "thin lizzy". Not in the sense that it would work as a foundation, bronzer, eyeshadow, morphine drip, dishwasher and whatever else thin lizzy claimed. But, it is my most multi-use makeup product. It lifts your cheeks, works beautifully under the brows, or as an all over eyeshadow, and even as a pretty blush above bronzer. Layering on top of my darker eyeshadows gives them a beautiful sheen as well. I personally wouldn't use this as a nose or Cupid's bow highlighter as it's too shimmery, but anywhere from your cheekbones and above it can do no wrong. The packaging is really cute, if you're into that gauche vintage benefit type (I am) and the price is actually very reasonable (I never say this about anything). Especially considering it should last you a year or more (I don't do light makeup ever, so trust me). In this digital selfie age I feel I should also point out that it photographs beautifully. Highly recommended.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by VMV

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Gorgeous product! Only need a little amount. I have been using this as an eyeshadow as well. Only thing I don't like is that mine is very hard to open.. It's not expensive, there is a lot of product in the packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by anpage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have gotten a sample of this and I actually use this as an eyeshadow than a highlighter. It is a perfect dupe for Stila- Kitten and I don't have to use much to get the effect I am wanting. I feel it opens your eyes up and makes them look "Lit Up." I suppose it probably works just as good as a highlighter, I just can't comment since I haven't used it in that way. But as a neutral, shimmery eyeshadow; yes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Kimmiebat

Bought on Amazon. Came broken of course as all the soft powder products are prone to breakage. Used a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to repair it. It is lovely and makes this old face look lovely. I'm not very good at contouring, but by highlighting, you are 'contouring' a little. The highlighted area pulls forward, and the others areas look recessed because of the highlighting. I would definitely buy again although this is a lot of product. I suspect it will last a long time. Hope they continue to make this for a very long time. I may get a backup just in case;-)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 3:55:00 AM More reviews by Shierine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

+ Shimmery without being glittery
+ Very pigmented
+ Buttery smooth
+ Large amount of product
+ Quality packaging

+/- Bam in your face

- May be too obvious to use for a no makeup makeup look
- Without a light hand it will be an overkill

This is an amazing highlighter. It is something you want to use for an evening look. It makes you literally glow without the chunks of glitter on your face. It is the most shimmery compared to my Bobbi Brown and Anna Sui highlighter. The packaging is sturdy and the picture on it is as humorous as theBalm always is.

Unfortunately, as pigmented as it is, you cannot lie of not wearing makeup when you have this on your face, no human can glow as bright as this is and without a light hand or blending, this will be an overkill. I do recommend using sparse bristled/tapered brush compared to dense and flat toped brush. Putting this all over your face will make you blindingly bright during the day (no, this is not good).

Still, this is something that is gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to wear.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by zella_angel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG highlighter. The only one I've ever found that gives a lovely sheen instead of glittering. Even if you buy at full price is a great value because the compact will last you over a year. But I find that amazon and haute always offer it at decent prices. if you just want to try it I suggest buying theBalms Balm jovi palette. They named it different but the highlighter in that palette is Mary-Lou. (and its a great palette)