October 30, 2014 | 1748 users online

Crème - Illuminare - Extra Coverage Foundation/ Concealer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2007 12:52:00 AM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! There are only 5 color choices, so I'd imagine that the colors wouldn't work for everyone. I am one of the lucky ones. I have a lot of yellow in my skin, but my face is ruddy. I buy Florentine Fair and Portofino Porcelain and blend them 50/50. It is a perfect color match. I like this product even better than powder mineral makeup.

This product is a bit hard to get the hang of applying, but once you do, the coverage is great. I don't cake it on, and I can still see a bit of the red acne scarring, but the coverage is way better than what I get with a powder foundation. And, so far -- it has been 3 days now -- it hasn't caused any new breakouts. I have combo skin with cystic acne -- and, right now, I'm broken out on the chin. I am usually broken out on my cheeks, which is where I have all of my acne scars, but my face has gone crazy the last few months -- the worst its ever been. So, I'm trying Jan Marini skincare and this foundation.

My skin is beautiful and glowing with this foundation; my only complaint is that it is more dewy than matte for me. It seems like it comes off. But, I'm still rating it 5 lippies because the color match is SO good for me, and it is safe to sleep in (according to the website), and the coverage is the best I've had in a long time.

I'll update if my skin takes a turn for the worst.
Update: It has been a week, and so far, so good. I also forgot to mention that the little makeup sponge thing they sell works great! It's not like a flocked sponge -- but the texture is perfect for blending and smoothing this product. I also checked Cosmeticscopdotcom to see what she had to say about this product, and she rates the product very high. The makeup definitely takes some work in learning to apply. I am going to try to mix up some of the Extra Coverage Foundation with the Ultimate All Day foundation and see how that works. Ultimate All Day -- i applied it with my fingers -- just the 3rd color -- and it was too dark and dried before I could spread it on. I also had a hard time washing it off.

Update: I stopped using this for 2 or 3 years because I didn't feel I needed as full of coverage. I am breaking out from Laura Mercier, and I don't want to pay for La Prairie because I hate the concealer on the Caviar foundation. I am in love with this all over again -- you have to use the Fast Application Pad. I still mix two colors, and my skin looks flawless -- I mix a touch of my Jan Marini sunscreen to sheer this out a bit.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2007 1:25:00 PM More reviews by perfectface

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For those of us without a peaches and cream complexion, Illuminare extra coverage foundation makes you look like you do. Once you get comfortable with the application, there is nothing else like it. It lasts all day, makes your skin look flawless and stays on until you take it off. It has SPF 21 and doesn't cause breakouts. I use a foundation brush to apply, a little goes a long way, and then blend it with a sponge. Florentine fair is a perfect shade for me and apparently their most popular color. Very reasonably priced and you can order directly from Illuminare (www.illuminare.com). You will love this foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2007 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been switching between this and the Ultimate all day foundation. I have been loving these. The color Portofino Porcelin matches me exactly. The tube cream foundation is very neat and easy to use and apply wtih a foundation brush, and I can vary the coverage depending on how much moisurizer has soaked into my face or by using a damp brush. For around my eyes and in winter when my skin is drier I think the Extra coverage is the bomb. For summer the ultimate all day should stay put in Philly humidity. I find I don't like the Fantastic Finish version of this as it's a little too 'damp' for my face. However all of these formulations in PP are exactly the same color - you can wear multiple formulas on different parts of your face and they will blend seamlessly. I love the natural coverage I get from this stuff plus the staying power! And no breakouts either - ++ for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2006 9:08:00 AM More reviews by amytude

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for around a month and I must say I am impressed & I am not easily impressed. I'm in the 15-20 MAC range, warm in coloring, & an ORPT skin type. I'm always on the search for a full coverage foundation which doesn't break me out. After using MMU (mineral makeup) for quite some time, I became disappointed with its coverage & lack of staying power (BE, but I've tried 15-20 others). I tried going back to liquid MU, but each of them broke me out. I tried a ton: LM oil-free (vanilla beige), LM silk creme, Px flawless face (vellum is my shade), EL double wear, Armani MSF (4.5), etc.

I decided to give the Illuminare a try & order the sample pack. This is a really good value, as you get a lot of product for your money. I must warn you, though, that most of the shades seem yellow-based (good for me), so if you are cool-toned I'm not sure this product would work for you (though I never did try the lightest shade). The three "middle" shades are actually quite dark, I think. I had a hard time finding an exact match, as the porcelain one was a little too light, so I mixed it with the florentine fair. Let me tell you--this stuff covers, stays put, & does not break me out!!! My skin loves ZO (zinc oxide). Oilier skin types will like this & dry need not apply.

I think the price is completely reasonable for what you get. I use a GA blender brush to apply & don't end up using a ton of product, so it does last (I use slightly more than a pea-sized amt to do my entire face). The only reason I don't give it a "5" is the pathetic shade range. However, if you can find a match & fit the above criteria (warm-toned, oil(ier) skin, want full coverage), then please do give this a try--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2006 7:02:00 AM More reviews by tori623

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried many foundations and I too always return to Illuminere. I only need a pea sized amount and I use a small amount of essential oils on my face first and then it blends in beautifully, provides excellent sun protection, makes my skin look flawless(and believe me, it's not) and stays all day. I get compliments from people all the time including my husband who dislikes heavy made up. I don't think he knows I have makeup on. Hats off to Illuminere..I wish they made a compact too.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2006 8:14:00 PM More reviews by SirenRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is now one of my favorite concealer foundations. The coverage is fantastic. Amalfi Alabaster is pale enough to match my complexion. It makes my skin look smooth and radiant.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2006 1:32:00 PM More reviews by LibraryD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

One of my friends had used this and recommended it highly ... I was a little leery after reading some of the reviews but decided to take the plunge anyway and I am glad that I did. I have a fairly uneven skin tone (mild rosacea, freckles, etc.) and this has worked very well to even me out ... I *have* to mix it with a moisturizer though -- when I tried it straight, the results were a little pasty and difficult to blend, but with the moisturizer it is amazing how even my skin tone looks.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2006 12:50:00 PM More reviews by CareBear

I'm a longtime fan. If your looking for heavy coverage,long staying power without breakouts along with a high SPF this is a must try. One tube lasts me about six months.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2006 11:18:00 AM More reviews by Hollyandivy73

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Color: I wear the lightest shade and it is spot on for my cool, pale skin.

How does it wear?: I have combination skin which tends to stray into the oily territory especially during GA summers. This foundation steps up to the plate. It is still going strong by the end of the day and hold up well during the mid-day touch up.

I use MAC's matte texture cream underneath, then this with a dusting of Estee Lauder's lucidity and I am good to go. I have been very pleased with this product. It really covers a multitude of skin sins.

How is it packaged?: Love the tube. It is easy to control how much is coming out and small enough to fit nicely in my purse. A little of this product really goes a long way.

Worth a try if you have sensitive acne-prone skin. Good luck!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2006 11:03:00 PM More reviews by sunnybrook584

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wear this in Porcelain...I mainly use it as a concealer...It really gives full-coverage, so you must be careful. It is early for your face to appear to be wearing a mask. It really does cover up my rosacea-redness though. I just ordered the Fantastic Finish in porcelain...hoping it is more natural looking.