December 21, 2014 | 1534 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. II [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2010 6:10:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPayge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just love this palette! I love Mushroom and AC/DC especially but every color is so rich and wearable except Midnight Cowboy Rides Again. Too much glitter and fallout but even that is pretty. Smokey eyes and nude lips are my passion and I have had so much fun coming up with different looks. YDK and Twice Baked look beautiful together and Sellout is what I usually wear on my inner corner. When I'm in a bluish mood, Jinx is so beautiful with Shattered from the Ammo palette. I could talk about this all night. Love it!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2010 1:49:00 AM More reviews by SharonWT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this palette.
First off, with Urban Decay you know you're going to get some eyeshadows with glitter in their palettes. I really don't like glitter but I deal with it because the eyeshadows are amazing. Surprisingly this palette only has a few eyeshadows with glitter... I think, I've yet to use the blue and greens.
I love this palette because it has a variety of colors. If I go anywhere out of town, I'm set with this palette and I'll be fine. =)
Other people go into more detail about the colors so check those out.
I'm very happy that i purchased this. The eyeliners that come with this i've yet to try because I already have quite a few that I have to finish.
If Urban Decay had these without glitter I'd give them 5/5
But it's confusing to rate them because glitter is a given with them. So, I'm giving them 4/5. Glitter be gone please. lol
I'm still in love with this though. <3

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Xandrra

Here's my take on the palette

perversion - a matte black. I don't ever wear black eyeshadow, but this looks pretty pigmented. When I swatch it it goes on darker than when I swatched MAC's carbon. If you try to apply it wet however, it'll just let the water sit on top, so I guess its better applying it dry

Gunmetal - a very pigmented dark grey eyeshadow.

Esctasy - very pigmented nice purple colour, has a bit of a pink undertone to it.

AC/DC - a dark smokey purple colour, perfect for a purple smokey eye.

Nylon - this shade is very much like YDK imo. It is a tiny bit more golden, and has glitter flecks. These WILL fall off onto your face.

Sellout - a gorgeous light beige, perfect highlight, goes well with Sphynx ( I wore this look today :) )

Mushroom - people keep calling this taupe, but on me it just looks like a dark grey, with a bit of brown to it. Mostly dark grey and boring though, just can't get it to look anywhere near as good as other taupe shadows I have. Apparently exclusive to this pallette but included in the AiW BoS.

Sphynx - a pretty light pink colour. good pigmentation. Has a LOT of glitter particles in it, again, beware of fallout.

Half Baked - one of the most pigmented shadows in the whole BoS, a golden bronze colour, very beautiful.

Twice Baked - a very dark matte-ish brown. Good for a smoky eye or lining the brows

Midninght Cowboy Rides Again - another gorgeous beige, however unless you have a strong base to keep this together - massive fallout. A LOT of glitter in this one.

YDK - a darker nylon, while nylon is more on the goldy side, this is more on the plummy side, the difference isn't very noticeable though.

Jinx - this seems very pigmented, can't say more as I never wear this colour e/s

Flipside - a disappointment for it. It looks a gorgeous blue-green in the pan, on the eyes it is a very boring blue colour, no a hint of green to it.

Homegrown - a gorgeous gorgeous green, very pigmented, love this shade. Another shade that was meant to be exclusive but for some reason made it into the AiW BoS

Misdemeanor - another disappointment, looks very interesting in the pan, a grey colour with blue flecks, swatched the blue flecks stand out even more, but nothing I do seems to get them to show on my eyelids! It just comes out matte grey, tried different brushes, dry and wet, tried spongetip applicator, nada, tried my fingers in desperation, the flecks just want nothing to do with my eyelids lol.

Took one lippy off for the bad quality of MCRA misdemeanor and the decieving flipside, this looks like the perfect colour for me in the pan but grrr!

Another lippy off for the lie about several shades being exclusive. Whats up with that UD?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by girrl65

First take: OMG.....NEED...
Second take: There are NONE of the same colors in this one that were in Book of Shadows 1....yay! And about half of the shades are exclusive to this set.
Third take: Hmmmm...even though the shadows in books one and two are different in name, the ones chosen in each set are very similar in shade except for a few.

Over all, this is an AMAZING palette despite the fact that, upon close inspection, this is not SO far from the first volume and I have both. That being said, you should defiantly pick this up (if you can still find it!). The colors are wonderful, as usual, and it is worth having in your makeup stash. I love mine and use it every day!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by pneggy

This is lovely eyeshadow collection. my colour pics are ecstacy, mushroom, jinx and misdemeanor. i find nylon and midnight cowboy a little too glittery. the eye liners that came with are AMAZING!! SOOOOO smooth. wouldn't repurchase cos will take me years to go through these and of course something else would take my fancy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by aaawzh

Love it! Love it! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by steph_mark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I loved BoS vol. 1 and I really did not think anything could top it. Overall, I think that the shadow selection is a lot better in this one. BoS 1 has a lot of the same old stuff UD is always putting in palettes, but the exclusive colors in it were really nice. However, BoS vol. 2 really has some AMAZING shades that UD needs to make part of their regular line (hello, homegrown and mushroom.) YDK and nylon were both shadows I would've passed on in-store or judging by swatches, but now I think I need full-sizes of both of these. Sellout is one of my absolute faves in this palette, it was one of the shades I was looking forward to the most. In my opinion, there are no stinkers in this palette. If you're lucky enough to find one for a reasonable swap or something, then go for it. The ebay prices right now are ridic and should be avoided.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 2:12:00 PM More reviews by cjmar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another great Book of Shadows from Urban Decay. I am pleasantly surprised by this palette in comparison to the first "edition." The shadows are completely different from the first, with only one repeat ("Perversion" which is a matte black). You get a wide variety of colors, from shimmery to matte to very glittery. Urban Decay makes some crappy glitter shadows, but here's a tip: I apply it and allow the glitter fall under my eyes, then I use either scotch tape or a makeup remover wipe (I am using the CVS brand right now) and it picks it all up! Of course, in this case, you apply your eye makeup first before your face makeup. You also get a mini primer potion (which I take with me to travel), and two 24/7 Pencils in Bourbon and Zero. The packaging sucks, but is still better than the first. It's now made of nylon instead of cardboard, and the drawer is much easier to slide out. They also provide a book of ideas, but it's just a bunch of pictures of girls with cool makeup, I wish they would have provided a tutorial on how to achieve the looks shown. Overall a great value eyeshadow palette, I hear it's discontinued as of now (1/10/10), but who knows? They may re-release it like they did for BOSI. As a side note, they will be releasing an Alice in Wonderland edition of Book of Shadows, so look for that everyone!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2010 1:09:00 PM More reviews by rantings

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW is all I have to say! Come with two liners (so much better than cheap plastic brushes) and a primer potion that is perfect for travelling. Bought this for my Best friend for Xmas and HAD to pick up another for myself... good thing, bc it sold out pretty damn fast! The colour pay off is AMAZING and am starting to love UD more than my MAC shadows (I used to be an "all MAC girl"..) The price is great for the products that you get ....dont like the package though ;s...a little cheap looking (cardboard?! come on) but the product is STELLAR

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2010 1:38:00 PM More reviews by nliedel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is, by far, the best palette I've ever purchased and despite my distaste for at least three, or four colors, keep buying them (I'm a makeup artist so I can justify the colors I don't like). I love every, single color in this palette. I can go from demure, to way out there and especially adore the bottom row of peacock colors. I am in full glory when I put these on my eyes.

As always, I use the UDPP under, and a Coastal Scents Gel Liner, or a MAC Paint Pot over that, to make the color pop (I hate that term. I also detest, "build-able"). The under cover stuff is what makes colors memorable and so gorgeous. You can use them on their own, but they will last so long this way. The small UDPP and the two gorgeous 24/7 liners are a wonderful extra. I'm over 40, and other pencils skip over my wrinkles. Ugh! The 24/7 smooths on and stays put. I do set it with a similar colored shadow, but the few times I've forgotten this step, I've not had a problem and have to use a makeup remover (read almond oil) to remove it.

The clarity of the colors is fantastic. They blend beautifully and never, ever look chalky.

I love UD shadows. I have BoSII and Show Pony and will be looking for more collections with colors I want to own. By far the best shadow out there for me, and that's not a title I give lightly, because I use everything from E.L.F. to Givenchy.