September 22, 2014 | 1859 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Loose Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by kimst2009

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my HG powder. I will wear nothing but a loose powder. I was using L'Oreal Translucide for a few years and I thought it was pretty good until I tried MUFE's loose powder. Except, MUFE just seemed to sheer and I need more coverage.. so I kept looking because I realized I loved these finely milled powders. Finally, I was watching MakeupGeek on Youtube and saw that she loved this powder and her description of it made me want it even more. I bought it and am very pleased with the coverage and the airbursh look it gives me. I havent had to worry so much about my makeup getting oily because that is a big problem for me. When used in conjunction with my primer, it's keeping the oil from coming through so much. Yea! It's the worth the money for me because I think powder is very necessary and you get alot of quality for your money. IMO. The packaging could be better (i had fallout when i opened my new pkg) but use it according to how another reviewer said: put the screen UNDER the sifter. Do not leave it on top because the powder will just get stuck under it. Well, that's my review and I'll keep buying this till they discontinue it. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

I think this loose powder is great. Although it could be packaged for a little less fall out - it is a finely grained powder formula with a variety of colors from which to choose. Also, they are very generous with the quality. It is a true loose powder, not a powder foundation and I like that. Sometimes I mix it with my MUFE HD translucent powder and sometimes I use it alone - but either way it leaves my face looking perfect - blending over my foundation and blushes to give me a good overall no oil look. Nars products are just excellent, generally. I use Nars Sheer Glow and all their eyeshadows and blushes. Between Nars and Mac - what more could a gal ask for?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 1:35:00 AM More reviews by kumintang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Hmm...I was thinking of giving this product 1 lippie but change my mind since I tried this when my skin is under acne treatment (bp 2.5% applied all over face) so generally my skin is oily but flaky right now (uggghh what a combination) and applying powder can be a bit tricky.

The results on my skin is sooo bad I want to cry. It settles into my pores, making them look ridiculously enormous, accentuate dry flakes and moreover I did choose the wrong shade. Turns out the shade beach is too light on my yellow tone nc42 south east asian, it leaves some sort of 'white cast' on me.

But despite the outcome, I'm still giving this product 3 lippies because when I applied it to my neck (which is apparently lighter than my face and under no acne medication) - it does blends quite impressively, it doesn't look powdery, it has great coverage, blends naturally and have good staying power.

All in all, if you have normal or oily skin, I think this is a good product. But if you have dry spots or just generally dry and flaky skin, try bobby brown loose powder instead, now that's the only powder that can cover my pores without settled onto them and just giving the illussion that I have perfect skin :)

EDIT :
have to come back editing my review. For the past week I tried mixing my bobbi brown loose powder (warm natural) which is a tad too dark on me and not very long lasting on my oily (yet flaky) face with my nars beach LP and I love the results! Thinking that my light shade nars has 'drying' effect and my 'tad too dark L/P' BB has 'oily'effect, I thought well why not combining the two. And the result is right on perfect :). After several attempts, I got the shade right and it looks beautifully blended with my skin, no more obvious looking patches or accentuated pores. My skin just looks 'fresh' and well covered without that dreaded powdery looking given previously by Nars.
I think Nars L/P has turn BB L/P into a 'long lasting' powder and BB L/P has 'soften' Nars L/P somehow that it is wearable on my currently ravaging drying oily skin with a considerably great lasting power. When I use BB L/P alone my nose will start to get oily in 1 hour, but with this combination, I see oil seeping tru after 4 hours (which is quite impressive for me and my oily skin and my living in humid and hot area)

It is quite the hassle having to mix the two though so after finishing this powder (which can be quite sometimes considering the amounts both products given) I think I will try other product that has the benefit of bobbi brown LP and Nars LP combined together, if you have any idea, lemme know, will you ladies...:)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2010 11:03:00 AM More reviews by greatglamdc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

First of all- they give you so much of this stuff that i'm not sure i'll EVER have to buy again! I love that this comes in an array of colors to match their foundations. I bought Punjab sheer glow foundation and set it with the loose powder in Beach and it gives a nice matte glow. I have problems finding powder that's not too cakey and not too yellow, but this is great! I'm having some problems trying to figure out the sifter/puff but think i might just switch to using my powder brush instead of the puff. Very pleased with this powder and high recommend it to all skin types!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2010 9:23:00 PM More reviews by MarieAntoinette88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Most definitely my HG powder! I use this to set my foundation and it gives a flawless finish. My skin is really oily, and while his powder doesn't keep my face extremely matte all day, it makes a huge difference in the way my face looks at the end of the day. I used this on my mom as just a powder without foundation under it and it kept her semi-oily skin matte all evening.I definitely recommed it if you are looking for a great setting and finishing powder. I gave it a 3 for packaging because it is a bit messy and true to the NARS packaging, it gets really dirty really quick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 10:49:00 AM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh my, where has this been all my life? I've been using Johnson's baby powder and Revlon's Colorstay MMU (which has been discontinued here in the UK since) because they were the fairest options I could find for a reasonable price... or so I thought. After finding that the NARS Firming Foundation in Siberia is a perfect match for me (Sheer Glow and Sheer Matte being too dark and yellow), I got the NARS Loose Powder in Snow, too.

The powder is amazing. It's finely milled, leaves a *hint* of colour (Snow is off-white) and doesn't emphasize lines or pores, which is bordering on a miracle. I the following method: First, I press it on firmly with the included powder puff in a rolling motion (similar to having a fingerprint taken), and then I blend it using a powder brush (I love my NARS Ita for this). It sets the foundation so well that it lasts me the whole day, without reapplying powder. But then, I don't have oily skin.

And here's something for the very pale: The Loose Powder in Snow can be used to take foundations that are a tad too dark down a notch, which is great when you're struggling to find a foundation that is light enough. However, if you have a perfect match, use it very sparingly, get this powder in the colour Flesh, or search for a translucent powder. Because if you don't, you might end up looking too light! I know it's almost unimaginable for the truly pale, but trust me, it is possible.

My only complaint is that the powder puff is quite large and doesn't fit into the container itself. And even though the packaging is rubbery, it is very easy to clean and doesn't get messy as easily as for example NARS blushes and eye shadows.

But the most surprising thing about this powder is the price. The amount of product present in the container is 45 grams. The price is 25. Now in comparison with other brands you pay:

NARS Loose Powder: 0.56 per gram
Clarins Face Powder: 0.93 per gram
Creme de La Mer The Powder: 2.20 per gram
Dior Diorskin loose powder: 1.88 per gram
Bobbi Brown Face Powder: 0.80 per gram
Shu Uemura Sheer Face Powder: 1.10 per gram

That's just a few I found on the Selfridges website. The powder I mentioned before that I used, the Revlon Colorstay MMU, retailed for 12 for 10 grams, which, when you do the math was more expensive than the NARS. The only thing I can say is: Do the math, and try it. It's definitely a HG for me and I won't stray unless I'll need a translucent powder to match my foundation, instead of lightening it.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2010 4:42:00 AM More reviews by hikuto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This actually belonged to my sister who bought it after reading about reviews about it and seemed like a decent price for the large amount of powder.

The two of us went to buy this together and agreed that beach would be the right colour. Personally I like this colour a lot more than what I already have as 1 was too peachy and the other was a translucent powder that was hard to blend.

Its a decent powder, made my face matte for most of the day, although it melted pretty quickly within an hour or two on my nose like any other powder I used (oil control or none) so it was no surprise, nor was I expecting anything to work on it either. So if you have normal skin it works great (as it worked on the rest of my face).

The only BIG issue both my sister and I had was the package. Its pretty and all to ... LOOK at, but its so not practical. Every time you open the lid powder goes everywhere and you waste a lot of product, getting the powder out was another huge mess as it meant more powder all over the place. My sis was smarter as she prepared a small loose powder compact to put the powder in as she read reviews about the packaging where as I didn't. I thought it can't be that bad and tried to be more careful, but I gave up in the end and bought a small loose powder box and transferred the powder in that. So much less hassle in the morning!
Sorry had to rant about the horrible mess I had over my poor tablet as it was the victim of the loose powder ;;

I use a powder brush to buff this and it blends well and doesn't make it look too cakey so thats good. Only concern is that I haven't tried using this in summer where the heat and humidity is at its worse, hopefully it'll stand that ;;

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by akn8v

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very very nice powder but what a MESS!!! Most loose powders are on the messy side. It's a lil pricey but you get a ton of product and the finish is beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 1:09:00 PM More reviews by volshorn08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after seeing it used by Makeup Geek, and I absolutely love it. I've used lots of powders up to this point, and I don't plan on buying anything else now. I use this in Desert on top of Revlon Colorstay foundation. It completes the flawless airbrushed look for me.

Packaging: First and foremost, I followed the instructions on the sticker and put the screen underneath the sifter. As in, I took the sifter out and put the screen directly on top of the powder then put the sifter back in. I think this makes a huge difference in how the powder comes out and whether or not you get a mess. I have yet to have any powder mess, and the container has stayed clean.

My technique: I use the puff that came with my ELF High Definition Powder. I put it over the holes and shake and the perfect amount of powder is on the puff. Then I roll/press it over my skin. I repeat this for every section of my face. I haven't noticed a powdery finish, but just in case, I always pass a clean powder brush over my face to get rid of excess. In this case, it's the ELF Studio Complexion Brush.

I find that the finish is pretty matte on my skin, and I do get the airbrushed look. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my "skin" looking great. I have used this on it's own without fdtn underneath, and it works well if I'm in a hurry. In that situation, I just buff it on with a kabuki brush as if it were a mineral fdtn. All in all, it's a wonderful powder that stays put and completes my look.

The price: Very reasonable when you consider how much powder you're getting. I got mine when Sephora had the 15% off sale. Even full price you're getting a great deal. I do recommend this product and I won't buy another powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2010 8:48:00 PM More reviews by tanpopo914

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder in the Eden shade. It covers up nicely, and I look almost poreless after applying a very thin layer on top of my foundation! It has a matte finish, but it doesn't make your skin look dull. The powder goes on smoothly; I just take my powder brush and lightly glide it over my face. The packaging, like everyone one else here says, is absolutely horrible. When I opened the packaging, for the first time, it was already quite messy around the edges of the container. Inside the container, there's a black sticker tab that asks you to carefully pull it away (to reveal the holes where the product comes out). However, I suggest anyone who wants to buy this, to only pull up a small corner of the tab (revealing about three holes), then leave the remaining tab in place. This way, you won't waste too much product, and won't really make a mess. I actually kinda like the mesh on top, it sifts the powder when I lightly shake the powder container upside down into the lid. I recommend using this powder on top of a foundation with dewy finish!
Edit: I need to add to what I said earlier, about shaking the container upside down, I also have to tap the container a little to really get the powder out. Otherwise, shaking the container too hard would simply make everything fall out.