September 18, 2014 | 1015 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by zeusandcoco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I originally bought ACV as I'd read a lot of the reviews on here about it clearing up acne, so I had high hopes it would have the same effect for me. I used it religiously for a few months with great results, but sadly after a few months it just stopped working.
It did help to clear up my puppy's 'teenage' acne too, however it was only a temporary fix also.
I think this method would most likely be suited to girls who wear a lot of make up or those who naturally have oily skin.
But my top marks for it are because of how well it clarifies my hair. I have recently read up on the horrible effects of animal testing so have refused to continue using my half-used bottle of Matrix Normalising Shampoo for this very reason. ACV does the same job and is a tenth of the price, no it doesn't smell the best but I'd rather deal with a bit of smell than knowing I'm contributing to the horrible and unnecessary process of animal testing.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 2:23:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally buy the Bragg's version and I love it. It has multiple uses for me. I can use it to clarify my hair, make my own acne toner, salad dressings, mixed with honey and water to make a detoxifying drink, or put in bath water to soothe itchy skin. Yes, it smells strong but somehow I have built a tolerance for it. I usually pick up a bottle from my local health food store. It removes build-up from the scalp and hair which makes it good for those who suffer from dandruff or itchy scalp. It didn't cause any problems for my hair when it was color-treated. I just made sure to have a higher ratio of water to it. I would pour the solution into a spray bottle then spray it onto my hair before shampooing, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then shampoo and condition as usual. My hair came out shiny and the vinegar smell was gone. Bragg's comes in a glass bottle, so be cautious. I once had a bottle slip from my hands and smash onto my kitchen floor. Let's just say that wasn't fun to clean up.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

I've been using ACV now for about three years to remove product build up from my hair/scalp. I mix 4 oz of ACV to 4 cups of water and pour it over my hair/scalp allowing it to sit for about 3 minutes after I massage it around my hair/scalp. It leaves my hair very clean and shiny. I use this mixture twice a month. I've even started using it on my face as a toner since I have combination skin and it really does rid my skin of blemishes and makes it feel nice, clean and smooth. I place ACV on a cotton ball and add a little water and apply it to my face.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by rustybag

I have tried ACV rinses several times because they get such great reviews, and time & time again I hate them for my hair. My fine, oily hair does not react well to ACV, heavily diluted or not. And I HATE the smell. Supposedly you are not supposed to be able to smell it after rinsing, but I do and it makes me sort of sick. I have also tried it for dye releasing my henna and the smell was so bad, I switched to lemon juice and have never done dye release with ACV again. It's supposed to be conditioning, but I find it to be drying. All vinegars are not created equal, though, so if you use it, quality is better.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by AtotheC

I started using this as a toner for my face a couple months ago. I just had a baby and my hormones were all out of whack and made me break out BAD. I've never had acne before beiregnant it sucked. It also left some pretty gnarly acne scars. Well my face is under control now. Haven't had a break out since. My scars are also clearing up. Not completely gone but nothing a little concealer can't fix. Before the scars were so bad nothing could cover them up. This stuff does smell but you get over it. Oh I bought the Heinz brand it has "the mother" stuff in it for like 3$ at Walmart. I also use it as a hair rinse once a week and my hair is awesome and shiny. This stuff really works :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I don't get this easily where I live so I buy mine from supermarkets that sell imported stuff. Even so, it's not too expensive. I use this as a rinse for my hair after a baking soda cleanse and it instantly makes my hair seems more moisturised. The label says you can use it for several other things like cleaning (regular white vinegar is cheap and easily available here so I'd rather use that) and even keeping flowers fresh in vases. I haven't tried that but I intend to!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 4:11:00 AM More reviews by tbabi

I never would have started using this if it wasn't for some weird experience. I got box braids and immediately after I got them my scalp started itching intensely. I looked up what I should use to stop the itching since no braid spray would work and it wasn't because my braids were too tight or they were pulled. When I looked it up I realized it was the synthetic hair that was causing the itching and I should use ACV in water to rinse the chemicals off the coating of the synthetic hair. I did this and it helped relieve the itching. After that I read some great things about ACV. So I began rinsing my hair with it and my hair got shinier and I never get a dry scalp anymore. I began using it as a toner for my face and it's helping to make my skin more normal and uniform since I have combination skin - oily t-zone, and dry skin around my nose. I also use a little in my pedicure soaks to remove any dead skin. I'm glad I caught on to this simple product and I'll be constantly finding new uses for it since I think it's so awesome. It is a bit stinky though at first but it wears off and it's no biggie.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2012 4:27:00 PM More reviews by texasbeautyaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was using ACV as a toner for a long time (two-three months) and then something happened. I started getting these red bumps that would never come to a head but would just hurt and would never go away. I don't know if the pH of my skin changed or what, but it was awful. It did make my white heads seemingly vanish though, but I'd rather have white heads than red bumps.

However, for the first couple of months my skin was doing great. I would recommend this just because it may work in the long run for someone. It does make a great hair rinse, and I also use it in my clay mask. The only thing that stinks (pun intended) is the smell. It does linger if you sweat or your face gets wet, and my partner would comment on the smell as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by loverofproducts

I used the Heinz acv - (even though i bet the braggs might work better in making it more shinier, but it was more expensive). I bought the 1 litre for like 2.37 or something, which was an ok price to me, especially in comparison to conditioners and shampoos. I really wish this coudl be used alone as a shampoo, but i don't think it can, unless you slowly stop using shampoos and conditioners. I have this very drying shampoo, that works great but is drying, and i'm trying to finish taht, so i used that . First, I put 1/3 acv and 2/3 water, in a spray bottle and sprayed it in all parts of my scalp and gently massaged. I left it in for 25 minutes- 40 minutes. Then, I shampooed regularly, and because i could feel a little itching, i sprtized it in a few problem places, and put a very gentle (and not super conditioning) conditioner on the very tips of my hair. Then I rinsed :D I have done this twice already, and my head does not itch, except occasioinally maybe 2-3 times a day, i feel a small itche which will hopefully go away later. Also, I had to watch my hair only on the 4th day, because my head didn't get oily/ produce much oil till then. I htink it works great at removing residue, and the smell did take approx. 1/2 day to go away complete/ until my hair got dry, and then it didn't smell at all. Amazing so far. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2012 9:09:00 AM More reviews by Mom2Free

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a hair rinse, I love this stuff! I use it once a week, diluted with water, to clarify my hair. Somehow, it rinses the buildup out of my hair while still leaving it soft (not dried out). It also got rid of my dandruff. I use it after my shampoo and don't rinse it out. Yes, the smell is gross, but it goes away when your hair dries.
If your hair is colored, don't use it. It will strip the color out.