Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

4.2

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really liked this eyeliner! I have really oily eyelids and I put in a concealer with powder on them with eyeshadow and then the eyeliner and I loved it, it didn't smudge or transfer!

I LOVE this tattoo liner, the lines it makes are flawlessly clean. It almost always has a clean line to it and when it doesn't, it's easily fixed by giving it a quick shake with the lid closed. 10/10 recommend to everyone I know!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My all time favorite liquid liner. The pigment is dark, dark black. The formula is easy to apply, glides easily, dries quickly. The felt tip brush keeps its shape very well, which is important with a liner like this. Stays on well, but easy to remove at the end of the night. Good amount of product in the pen - lasts a long time. Nice point on the felt tip makes a cat eye a breeze.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have very small eyes & eyeliner is a MUST for me and I've tried a ton. But let me tell you...it doesn't get much better than this! No smudging (note - I do use an eyeshadow primer) And ALL day wear. Love it!

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I love this liner. But, it's supposed to be waterproof. When I have eyes that decide the be watery, I'm hesistant to wear this eyeliner because it will either smudge, or it will all come off.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I got a delux sample of this as a VIB rouge perk and shockingly I loved it. I say shockingly bec I have literally tried every liquid liner and all have left crease marks w/I mins (the only one I can use is by Marc Jacobs) this I had on 15hrs and it did NOT BUDGE & looked fresh the whole day/not

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I tried this liner today and it smudged horribly into my crease--enough that someone stopped to tell me so! The color wasn't as dark as Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner. The pen is very easy to use though. First impressions aren't good but I'll give it a few more tries and update this post.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This stuff is bulletproof! I have repurchased multiple times:))

I have super oily skin, most liquid liners slide off and fade on me, but this one stays pigmented all day!

Love how dark and black it is. I receive compliments about my liquid liner all the time and people want to know what I use. For me, this is validation that I'm going to continue repurchasing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Tattoo Liner is definitely one of the most popular liquid pens on the market. It seems to be part of the Sephora sales associates standard uniform, because most of them wear it. Kat Von D has a lot of fans because it's a cruelty free brand that's easy to find at Sephora. However, I was disappointed in Tattoo Liner, and every time I give mine another try, I'm reminded of why I bought several other eyeliner pens from other brands after this one. I hate it.

Tattoo Liner transfers to my upper eyelid and smudges on the inner corners of my top lids. Granted, Smashbox liner was a disaster, too. Even with eyeshadow primer, even powdering before, even with all the extra help Tattoo Liner could get from me as far as technique, this smeared. So after I bought this and gave it a fair shot, I went on the hunt for something better. I bought Stila's Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner pen, and to my great delight, Stila's doesn't wear off as easily as Tattoo Liner and I don't have to fiddle with it throughout the day. So between the two, Stila's works better for me personally, and they are around the same price.

However, I love the indie vibe of Kat Von D's company and the cruelty free policy. She's young, she's trendy, she has a nice powder foundation, and the concealer is great. I've had the Lock-It Concealer for a while and it's one of my favorites. I do think this liner is easy for newbies to use, and good for a dramatic line.

But it also flakes off in little black chunks, smears, smudges, and rubs off. It's NOT long-wearing, and it's not worth $19. Stila's lasts MUCH better on my lids. And Bobbi Brown gel liner will stay even if I don't use eyeshadow primer, even if I use a cream shadow and no powder. It just lasts longer. Clinique's Pretty Easy pen stays in place better than this, too. Kat's Ink Liner pen may be a different formula, and maybe that one's okay. I bought mine last year. Maybe the formula is different now, because lots of people seem to love theirs. But I've owned this for awhile now, and it's definitely not "bulletproof," nor is it even close to a holy grail. It's just an average liner that smears.

I used to read a rave review of this, go back, give it another chance, thinking maybe I had misjudged it, only to be disappointed again by flakes, smudges, and streaks yet again. I have even wondered if other people who say they love it are lying or employees of the company. To me this is like Maybelline Great Lash mascara which magazines always recommended and I always hated - because it smears.

Kat Von D is cruelty free so I'm happy her sales are high, but this product was a complete dud for me. The Stila Stay All Day Waterproof pen is the real deal. Clinique Pretty Easy Pen is superior to this, too. And waterproof eyeliner is easy to remove as long as you wash your face at night with water soluble cleanser which I do anyway.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

*Edited* This is my HG liquid eyeliner! I own this in Trooper, which is a richly pigmented matte black. This is waterproof and smudge-proof when it's allowed to set for about 20 seconds, but some fading near the edges may occur from humidity or sweating. What I like about this eyeliner is the fine brush tip of this eyeliner as it makes it easy to draw a thin, precise wing on my upper lash line and thus, it's very user friendly. It's in the same price range as the Stila waterproof eyeliner, which I also own. I feel the Stila one isn't as pigmented as KVD's and it has a glossy finish, which I'm not into. My KVD Tattoo Liner started to dry 6 months after its purchase, so it last fairly well. I will keep repurchasing Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in Trooper and likely will purchase the other shade Mad Max Brown.

Pros:
- Pigmented matte black finish
- No cracked line like some waterproof eyeliners may cause
- Doesn't bleed after it sets, stays on like a stain.
- Waterproof, will not budge without oil
- Portable and travel friendly to toss into your bag
- Brush tip applicator
- Doesn't dry out as fast like most pen liquid eyeliner
- Great for wing liner looks
- Easy control, good for novices or people with shaky hands
- Stylish flower tattoo designs on sleek packaging
- Slightly cheaper than Stila

Cons:
- Somewhat pricy for an eyeliner
- Edges fade a little from extreme heat or super sensitive eyes
- Comes in only 2 shades: Trooper (black) and Mad Max Brown (chocolate brown)

Keep in mind that KVD's Tattoo Liner is much different than her other liners. Do not mistaken it for her Inked liner because those are not waterproof! Tattoo is the waterproof, long lasting liner and needs to be removed with oil/ waterproof makeup remover.