October 31, 2014 | 1042 users online

Liquid - Max Factor - Second Skin [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 8:56:00 AM More reviews by jessiflower_x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I only wear foundation on nights out and since the sun's been shining and my skin has gone way tanned (yay!) I've needed a darker foundation to match. At my palest I'm between the two lightest shades but this time when I tried the tester it turns out Golden (the other darker shades seemed too pinky peach against my skin) was perfect, which is odd because when I have no tan there are no golden undertones whatsoever (more olive-yellow) and wearing this would have made me look like an oompa loompa. But it's an exact match at the moment! And I figure when my tan fades, I can mix it with one of my lighter foundations :)
    I agree with other reviewers that their colour range is odd, plus the quality/finish isn't that outstanding but I've used far worse cosmetics - if only Revlon sold a sheer foundation in England! x

EDIT: After two weeks the colours separated?! And now I'm left with a weird mix of white and ...orange. It's ok if I open the bottle and really give it a good mix. Also it seems to get darker throughout the day - so I'm not sure about this one anymore!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by apresmidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation back in January and found it a little too orange for my skin (I tend to look quite washed out in winter, like many others!) so it was consigned to the back of the make-up box until recently when I decided to give it another whirl. This time round it blended into my skin and I didn't look like I'd been Tangoed! Coverage is pretty decent, it's easier to apply and blend than foundations such as L'Oreal and it doesn't make me look too shiny. I do feel I need to add a little powder over the top but that's my personal preference, this could easily be worn without. Overall I'd say this is a decent summer foundation, I would buy it again but I've yet to discover the perfect foundation for all year round...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2010 8:51:00 AM More reviews by ambodidi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was surprised I liked this foundation, because while Max Factor advertises itself as the makeup of movie stars, it always seemed to me like it had got stuck in the silent movie age. Probably because it is such an old brand, and it doesn't use any young trendy spokesmodels?

I've been having trouble finding a foundation that matches. Ever since I made changes to my skincare regime, my skin's been just a little less yellow and a little lighter...all of a sudden, everything seemed orange. I did find a match in MUFE but I didn't want to use a foundation that was so expensive for every day. My mother, long a fan of Max Factor, suggested I try it, and I decided to try this one because it was the newest. I found a shade that matched, Warm Almond ( I'm around NC30), and I was just amazed at how well it blended in. It also has good staying power. It doesn't do very well at covering major flaws, but I don't usually get acne, and I ALWAYS wear concealer under my eyes. It doesn't exaggerate the dry flaky patches I get from Retinol and AHAs or settle into my few but present fine lines. No one realises I have it on, but I just look better groomed and better rested. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it out in the evening either. All in all, it's a great buy if you are not looking for major coverage (it's advertised as sheer anyway) and if you can get it cheap, I paid about A$30 for it, but I'll be looking on ebay next time.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2010 8:37:00 PM More reviews by xLilyx

Ok so I bought this yesterday and have only used it once so far. I bought it in Warm Almond, since it was the closest match for my skin and I have to say Max Factor's foundation shade range is RUBBISH!! I have yellow undertones and they are all very pinky!

Anyways, I found this to go on really nicely. I read other reviews for this product and most of them seem to say it is too sheer, almost like tinted moisturiser. I actually found it to have good coverage though, I would say medium probably, that gives a natural finish. And I have really bad skin (lots of acne scars, uneven skin tone and alot of redness on my nose). I applied the foundation with my fingers.

I set the foundation with MAC blot powder, and it seemed to have good staying power compared to alot of other 'drugstore' foundations.

Overall, I think this is a really nice product but because they don't have a shade that matches my skin, I won't be buying it again :(

*EDIT*
    Ok so I have used this foundation more than once now and I absolutely love it. How nice and easy it goes on, how long it lasts, and how natural it looks but still giving good coverage. But unfortunately I won't be using again as the colour is a complete mismatch for my skin argh!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2010 12:43:00 PM More reviews by vogueismybible

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like most other reviewers said I think this product would be most suitable for those with already perfect smooth unblemished skin as it provides a sheer thin cover much like tinted moisturizer and not at all like a foundation. I've been using this product for about 3 to 4 months now ( In 045 Warm Almond ) and my skin has gone through a whole lot of changes during that period of time.

In the beggining I started out with quite bad bouts of acne and lots of scarring and I must say this foundation did not help minimize the effect at all, rather highlight it by going flaky or wearing away in certain areas. This could most probably be due to my skin's condition at that time but still it was rather shocking as I applied only very little and not at all enough to create such a cakey effect.

However when my skin cleared up considerably ( I have no scars or blemishes at all now. Yay dermatologist! ) and when I apply the foundation now it absorbs well into my skin and leaves it looking soft as silk and extremely glowy. I suppose this is why I reccomend it only for those with already clear skin to enchance that even further.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2010 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Sweetie360

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had a free sample of the 'Natural' shade and was really looking forward to having 'second skin'.

Application for this was easy peasy, like any other liquid foundation I use, I dab it around my face and my work my way outwards until I get the right amount of coverage. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough coverage. My face looked extremely shiny (as if I had rubbed baby oil on it) and it covered none of my spot scars. I carried on applying my make-up as normal but I was not happy with my appearance at all. Infact, my boyfriend came into the room and I told him I was using a new foundation...he looked at me, frowned and said "you look....weird". So, needless to say, I washed it off straight away. While I washing it off, it felt weird, like I actually did have a thin second layer of skin on my face.

I can only recommend this for people who have naturally flawless skin (no scars, spots or blemishes). The shade I tried was an odd colour for my skin tone and I can't work out if I need a lighter one, or a darker one.

I know this isn't a definitive review as I have only used it once, but sometimes, you just KNOW when something doesn't look or feel right, and I'm sorry to say but Max Factor got it wrong for me with this foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by charla21

I think max factor has gone awfully wrong with their undertones for this line, it doesnt match swatches of my other foundations at all, it has like a pinkyish undertone... smells powdery even though its a liquid... it has MINAMAL COVERAGE so you should have perfect skin if you wana try it out. It is very light and feels like skin- at the same time it doesnt last long....

have tried other maxfactor foundations before which was good but this one is a real let down, its like a tinted moisturiser with maximum coverage but a foundation with minimum coverage (i hope that made sense)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2010 2:13:00 PM More reviews by MadameChic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

I also bought this product when it had a 25% discount. It was £9.99 instead of it's usual £13.99.

I can never, I mean ever, find a pale enough foundation for my skin. I am a scottish lass and it is almost always pouring of rain here so most of us all look the colour of milk.

When I first put this on it SEEMED to match okay. And blend nicely.
    The second it dried it must have went up FOUR SHADES DARKER.
    I looked streaky and oranage. I went over my face with a translucent powder after that, and it still never really died it down. I don't need a lot of coverage and thought this would be a nice natural look. But it seems to me that there are no natural skin colours with this foundation. And I think it only comes in five shades.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2010 3:41:00 PM More reviews by hallchlo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

PROS:
    -nice consistency
    -didnt clog my pores or cause me to break out
    -washed off easily
    CONS:
    -wore off considerably throughout the day, leaving a patchy coverage by about midday (after applying early morning) which is probably due to my oily skin
    -i used the 040 creamy ivory shade, which matched my skin tone very well when first applied but turned a slightly more orangy shade a few hours later
    -coverage isnt that great and i still needed to use quite alot of concealer over my spots and acne marks

I think this foundation will probably be well suited to people with normal skin and no blemishes, but then why would you use foundation in the fist place?

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by MayeRaye

Ok so ive had this for a month and finally reviewing it..

I use second skin in 040 creamy ivory and the colour is nearly perfect - maybe a little to yellow... i have fairly good skin but my nose can get oily very easily.This foundation does not give my skin that greasy yuck look but does make it nice and dewy in a natural way.

Its not AS natural and sheer as my chanel teint innocence but definetly not far behind it. It doesnt stick to dry areas and is very easy to blend (i use a MAC foundation brush)

The staying power is ok, may have to touch up once but no major blotching. I live in sydney, so we have very humid weather in summer, and then in winter skin can get dry - it works well in any humidity.

Bottom line, good natural looking foundation for everyday use at a reasonable price.