November 27, 2014 | 1186 users online

Treatments (Face) - LUSH - Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by calooza

This is not a miracle product, but it's quite effective.

Unfortunately, this doesn't cleared up my acne :-/ but it was a huge help... it really dries pimples fast, reduces redness, and no irritation or dryness. It's very gentle yet effective for those spots that have inflamation and redness. The morning after they are smaller, less visible and starting to dry and not so sore and painful.

I also used it for a couple of months as a serum all over my face before my moisturiser during the day. And what i notice is that it controlled my oils all day. I barely see any shine on my face (i have oily skin) and my makeup would last longer. I found that really amazing, but eventually it stopped working :-/ after a while without using it, i used it again like this and worked again...but then stopped working .. bahhh. lol. so sad...

For me it's more efective as a spot treatment on my face. But i'm not buying it again because i need something stronger to control my acne (like acids).

I'm now using my last bottle on my back, because i have acne there after i changed my birth control, and so far so good. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 7:11:00 AM More reviews by hershieowef

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

it's a really effective product that puts a halt on emerging pimples so they don't continue to disgrace my complexion (LOL), but there are some who still wont budge and insist on appearing on my face. and for those stubborn nodular zits - those pesky bumps that hurt really bad - it shrinks them until they go away, but only after 4-5 days based on my experience. the pain is not this spot treatment's responsibility though, so i use white flower oil to lessen my agony and it also helps to treat the pimples with its methyl salicylate. the combination of the two products are my guaranteed spot killing regimen. the reason why im not giving a 5 is that i need another product (the white flower oil) to make it work most effectively for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 7:29:00 AM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Picked up a sample of this at Lush yesterday, and I am impressed! I had two painful little spots that I wanted to get rid of asap, and so I had read about this and decided to try a sample. I put some of this product over them lightly last night and woke up this morning and they're much smaller and dried out, so they'll definitely be gone by tomorrow. It's fast acting and feels really nice to apply. I'll be picking up the full sized bottle of this soon!

UPDATE: Meh. I was all about this the first few days using it as a spot treatment. It seems ineffective now. I'm back to using my Fresh Clay Mask from Sephora as an overnight spot treatment. Another trick I learned from Essiebutton's blog is to use straight up tea tree oil, which I purchased from The Body Shop for $9. It definitely works well!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this Grease Lightning for about 3 weeks now. I'm really loving it. Saying that, it's not a miracle worker. It didn't help clear up my acne overnight but long term it's really improved my skin.
I use it all over my face at night before I go to bed because I find that if I apply it to my entire face in the morning my makeup doesn't quite sit right. A lot of other people have said it's a great primer, but it only works as a primer for me if I'm going without makeup that day.
At night I apply an even layer all over, and an extra bit on actual pimples. Like I said, it's not a miracle worker and won't banish pimples overnight but it will definitely help.
During the day I apply a small amount to each pimple and let it dry before moisturising then applying makeup. You can't tell I'm wearing it like you can with a lot of other pimple treatments.
What I like most about this is that its effective without being drying. Most other acne treatments clear up my acne but leave my skin red raw and uncomfortable.
This product has become one of my fave go to products.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2013 7:17:00 PM More reviews by shelbyclarke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a decent spot treatment. I love that it's clear, I hate having white or green spots on my face that flake off and look terrible! It smells good, too.

But what it's really great for is reducing inflammation of a blemish. I've put this on very "angry" spots and within minutes the redness, heat, and size goes down.

The packaging is flawed, one full pump is usually too much product for my face (I've only got 1 or 2 problem areas that need it) so I try to press down really slowly to prevent so much from coming out.

It's not a miracle worker though, it works about as well as most other spot treatments I've used but it does have some "pros" worth considering.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2013 More reviews by estellanutella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have super oily skin (blot every 2 hours kinda deal) and I was recommended this by a friend to use as a primer under MUFE mat velvet. When I realized it was supposed to be a spot treatment, I decided to give it a try and I was shocked to discover that O M G this shit WORKS.

***AS SPOT TREATMENT FOR LIGHT ACNE***

Since Benzoyl Peroxide is too drying and bad for your skin in the long run and Salicylic acid doesn't do anything for me, I had pretty much given up on finding a worthy spot treatment. (I've also tried pure tea tree oil -- didn't notice any effect.) With Grease Lightning, I got a very generous sample portion, and tried it on the pimples on half my face and THEY DISAPPEARED OVERNIGHT. The ones on the other half of my face I put my usual "Fudicin cream" and only some of them faded. Obvi I ran out to LUSH and bought the full-size the next day!!

After a couple weeks:

- I find this works on: newly forming pimples, red patches prior to newly forming pimples, and small pimples

- does not work on: large pimples (though I don't get many anymore, some fudicin cream zaps the ones I do get in a couple days and was truly a life-saver once), whiteheads

***AS PRIMER FOR OILY SKIN***

I tried this as a primer under MUFE mat velvet (40). I put it on, let it sink for five minutes, then applied MUFE with a stipple. I did this at around 7pm, and went out dancing... until 7am. It stayed on. During mirror checks in-between, I did not look greasy until around 5 or so? Even so, when I blotted then, I only needed one piece (as opposed to 3!).

However! I tried this at the same time as trying MUFE mat velvet for the first time so I cannot say which product did most work but in conjunction, they were faaaaantastic for oil-control, BUT I did get a few small red pimples (which faded over-night) from MUFE despite having grease lightning as a primer.

P.S. It also smells amazing.

P.P.S. Why is it called a cleanser??

Edit: I noticed that people are complaining about its pump dispenser being wasteful. Just pump it into a sample container and voila! Perfect size to bring anywhere and no more waste.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by kpennock

I truly like this product. Is it a miracle worker? No. However it does wonders on those cystic acne spots or those pimples that just haven't fully come to the surface yet. It will keep your zit from fully forming and help the irritation and redness disappear. It does help shorten the life of a full blown breakout but don't expect it to make your whitehead disappear overnight.

This is on the pricey size but you only need a tiny bit.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 12:31:00 AM More reviews by HbrookeW

Holy grail. I have dry , sensitive , acne prone skin and this works amazingly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Beautyrelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ive been using this product for months, I bought this product about a year ago and felt as though it never done anything, but thought to give it another go.
This product is now a god sent to me!!!! Now I found out how it works best. To get the best out of grease lightning EXFOLIATE your skin first this way the product can get deep into the skin and deep into the effected area. I have been having a lot less breakouts when I use this product after exfoliating and combined with exfoliating it is making my acne go away. It prevents spots from forming if used very day. Love this product!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by joanne150406

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been looking for the perfect spot treatment for ages now, and have tried quite a few. I've had LUSH's grease lightning for a few months now, and my verdict after using it during that time is that is okay but not great.

I get the odd breakout here and there from either stress or hormones, so I like to put a spot treatment on as soon as I take my makeup off and again before I go to sleep.

I found grease lightning to be okay at drying spots up, but it would be inconsistent. Also the pump dispenser is HORRIBLE and did not work at all in dispensing product evenly - so I would have to unscrew the lid each time which is pretty unhygenic.

Grease lightning is also on the expensive side for what you get, like all of LUSH's products (I paid AUD$14), and I think I would be better off using tea tree oil instead as a natural spot treatment/antiseptic.

My HG spot treatment at the moment would be the maragrite zinc cream which I get off iherb (I have also done a review on this) which I now reach for instead of grease lightning.