April 17, 2014 | 1804 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by leoisillon

Oh E.L.F. primer, where have you been my whole life? I have tried numerous eylid primers--high end, drugstore and there have been some that I have enjoyed--but none quite like this. I bought this at my local Target without really expecting much. I was blown away after using it a week! This one does the job and is DIRT cheap! The wand has a doe-foot applicator and the tube isn't shaped ridiculous so you can get most of the product out when you get to the end. The most impressive thing is that the formula feels very silicone-y but it absorbs and truly works to keep the shadows from creasing. I have oily lids and this powers through an 8 hr. work day like a charm. No embarassing creasing at the end of the day. For the price you really need not spend money on anything other primer for the eyes. I will repurchase for sure.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2012 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Decobalgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have only recently discovered ELF to my delight, and I've been so impressed with much of their Studio line products. Their brushes are insane (just want to EAT the Kabuki and become one with it :), so many of their eyeshadows have fantastic pigmentation and creamy blendability, their blushes are great, I love the HD ones, even though they have too much pigment and have therefore been repurposed as a lipstain.

Despite being Miss Greasy Lids Extraordinaire, I nevertheless have the great fortune of having found my HG eyelid primer, the Nars Proprime. It has solved all my creasing/smearing/smudging/slipping/sliding/fading eyeshadow problems. But it is pricey, impossible to find on sale, and Ebeneezer Scrooge is in charge of filling the tubes.

So it was with great enthusiasm and optimism that I saw a meh reviewer of the Nars primer proclaim that the cheapo ELF was just as good.

Hell to the no. At least not the mineral version, which is the more highly regarded of the ELF primers.

I was so, so, so pulling for the ELF. But I did a scientific experiment (yes, I live dangerously): In the morning I put ELF on one eyelid and Nars on the other. All the rest of the makeup/eyeshadow routine was identical. At the end of the day, it wasn't even close. On a scale of 1 to 10, with Nars scoring a 10 in performance, ELF eeked out a 5. After a full day's work, there was zero creasing and slight eyeshadow fading on the Nars side. The ELF side showed a prominent crease, no shadow/pigment directly above and below the crease, and the rest of the shadow looked a greased out and much more faded.

I love me my ELF, but I won't be buying this primer again. I can see how it's a respectable performer and you can't beat the price. But for those with greasy lids who need nothing less than primer big guns, I suggest you pass on this ELF.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:23:00 AM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This doesn't really deliver the results I expect from an eyelid primer. It makes it difficult to blend shadows and they become blotchy in spots. At times it causes my eyelids to itch and my eyes to water. I also noticed that it pools in the outer corners, leaving this whitish liquid there.

I do like the tube and the doe tip applicator. I'm going to use this for my when I make my lip gloss or some eye moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 2:00:00 PM More reviews by smsine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Such a great primer! It works so so well and is only 2 dollars. Feels less greasy than the 1 dollar primer and stays on a bit longer. awesome!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by nena923

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am really in between with this product I use it on the daily bases and it holds up pretty welll from 7 am to around 3-4 so I would recommend this to someone that does not have oily lids like me because it would probably last for them a lot longer. But if I were in a pinch on money I would definitely buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by staci13

This product is phenomenal for the price. It does what it claims and the original price is great, and its even better when you can score with one of ELF's many sales that they have. The only setback is that after application, you have to let it dry for about a minute, which isn't a problem for me, but some impatient people may have an issue with that.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by shgirl2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

The product itself works well, it's a little wet and takes longer to dry than most of the other primers like Stila prime pot or UDPP. Once it dries it is thin and pale but with makeup over it it looks great. I don't like the packaging at all but the product is worth purchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by loe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of those take it or leave it products. Sure it works, but by no means it it great. It goes on sheer, and then thats it. It doesn't seem to do anything to make my shadow any brighter or crease less. Plus the packaging is really crappy. The cap broke off. I would say you really get what you paid for.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 2:50:00 PM More reviews by palefawn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is the only eyelid primer I use. For me, it works just as well as any of the fancy brands, and this is way cheaper. For those saying that it didn't make their eyeshadow brighter, try applying a base on top of the primer, like an eyeshadow stick close to the color of your skin, it will further prevent creasing and also give more sticking power to your eyeshadows and making them brighter.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2012 2:30:00 PM More reviews by sassylass11

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I usually dab this on with the doe foot applicator but once I used my fingers and I understood what some of the other reviewers were saying- it feels really oily and a bit icky (so i try not to touch it) It's counter intutive that you would put on something oily to eliminate the effects of oily eyelids- but it actually works! I first tried it for a friends birthday. Usually I expect my eye make up to fade and smudge from day to night but my makeup looked fresh and my eyeshadow looked exactly how it was when i first applied it. My eyehsadow did not budge. This is the first primer I have tried and so I can't compare it to others. I am wary of trying other brands as I have sensitive skin so need to be careful. I love that this is gentle on my eyes and is paraban free. I gave it a 4 for packagaing as while it functions well it's in a no frills tube. I also love the price- a bargin compared to other brands. i I have knocked a lippie off though because while this keeps my eyeshadow in place it doesn't seem to make eyeshadows look any brighter. But i would definitely repurchase.