Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions - Purifying Gel Cleanser

3.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (1.0%)(Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Sucrose Laurate, Salix Nigra Bark Extract (Willow), Coco Betaine, Betaine, Beta Vulgaris Root Extract (Beet), Oenothera Biennis Leaf Extract (Evening Primrose), Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Coco Glucoside, Fragrance, Glucose, Alcohol Denat., Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol

on 9/19/2011 12:49:00 AM

I'm a big fan of burt's bees acne scrub and acne lotion, but not this cleanser. I have almost clear skin, just an occasional blemish. I've been using it for a few weeks cuz it hasn't done anything terrible, but I'm moving on now. My main complaint is that every time I use it my skin feels dry and tight which I believe is no good for skin. Also, ever since using this I've noticed my skin is itchy. Not from dryness cuz I moisturize, but just like an allergic itch. I'm pretty darn sure it's this cleanser cuz someone else mentioned hives, and someone else mentioned itching. So yeah, no more for me. Too expensive to not be amazing.

on 9/8/2011 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

If you think this is breaking you out- YOU ARE RIGHT. Had one or two little bumps. Switched from Royal jelly Radiance Cleaner cause my daughter got prescriptions and she had this leftover in the house, and wow= this stuff broke me out EVERYWHERE with zits Ive never had in places Ive never had em. I use a Clarisonic and keep it disinfected. I will be returning to the Burts bee's Soap Bark and Chamomile cream I have left over, what a shame I am broken out worse than a teenager and yet so dry, I hate this stuff!

on 8/19/2011 7:57:00 PM

Ugh, this so did NOT work for me. In the beggining of this year I had black heads on my forehead and was getting a new pimple every other week. I used this stuff EVERYDAY. Heck, once I ran out of the first bottek I bough another one.

Didn't clear up a thing.

Luckily I switched to Acne Free. Much better.

on 7/17/2011 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I just started using this product about a month ago in conjunction with "the regimen" (http://www.acne.org/regimen.html) - I wash in the AM and PM and apply Neutrogena "on the spot" benzoyl peroxide treatment (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/on-the-spot-+acne+treatment.do?sortby=ourPicks) according to the instructions for "the regimen". It does seem to be working pretty well. I definitely have a decrease in blemishes all around and the scars that were there are healing and fading away. I'm not sure how the Burt's Bees product would work on it's own. Probably not that well for me as I had previously been using Neutrogena's salicylic acne treatment and it really didn't help too much. For a while my skin began to clear but it didn't last.
I travel a lot and a big negative I have for this product is it's packaging. Totally leaks like crazy. No matter how tight you screw the lid on, even taping down the pop top, it still leaks and I end up losing a lot of product to my ziploc bag.
All in all a good alternative to using other chemically derived salicylic acne treatments.

on 7/12/2011 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have combination skin. I have a very oily/shiny forehead, nose, upper lip, and chin. I've been getting interested in natural/organic foods and figured hey why not try natural/organic skin products? I did a lot of research on the web, going on forums and various websites. I found that this Burt's Bee's cleanser had the highest reviews. So, I bought it and gave it a try. I seen a decrease in my oiliness and adult acne. I was very satisfied. It really does work!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I was having a baaad break out- so i was on a product binge to find a solution. At first it appeared that the BB's acne products were helping but it actually caused my skin to break out more in the end!

The cleanser it self left my skin feeling soft but it never felt like I could wash the whole product off- like the oil was trapped underneath my skin. I don't think salicylic acid is a good thing for me.

Sucks cause I used this for maybe two weeks and have so much left. Damn expensive too....

on 5/18/2011 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

When I first heard of this and read the reviews, I thought I would fall in love with the product, but unfortunately it falls a bit short for me. I have sensitive combination skin, with pretty regular breakouts. In general, salicylic acid works pretty well for me, so I thought the 1% concentration would be ideal. The texture reminds me very much of what castile soap is like. While it is runny, I only need a dime-sized amount to produce a decent amount of lather to cleanse with. It washes off makeup pretty well, although sometimes my skin does feel the slightest bit tight. I've gone through half the bottle now, but as far as reducing breakouts and improving the general condition of my skin, it has neither harmed nor helped it. The high price point and the scent (not bad, but by no means my favorite) is also making me feel pretty ambivalent towards this. I will not repurchase as there are cleansers out there that I like much better.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This cleanser did not work for me at all instead of preventing acne it did the complete opposite. My skin has been breaking out alot due to stress and I read in a magazine that this was a good cleanser for sensitive skin since it is natural. First of all you dont get that much product, I got the biggest size a 5 oz bottle for $10 which is a little bit expensive for such a small amount. This claims to be a gel but I found it to be more fluid and thin. The packaging is not great at all if you squeeze the bottle too hard too much product comes out since its so liquidly. The smell is ok and the cleanser forms up a little bit. After I started using this my skin begain to break out more which I figured it was just purging so I keep using it. Much to my dismay a few days later I work up with big red bumps on my cheek that im pretty sure are hives . I think this would be good for sensitive skin but be careful and do a test patch first.

on 5/1/2011 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I loved this cleanser, the packaging..not so much. I tended to lose some of the cleanser since it had a very watery texture, perhaps a pump would have worked better. Although my face did feel clean after using it. It was like a breath of fresh air and soothing to the face. Did it clear the acne, no. I felt no change in my acne it just felt nice. FYI I did use the entire system.

on 4/24/2011 6:25:00 PM

My skin type: oily, sensitive, acne-prone. I got this to help clear a bad flare-up I got from trying coconut oil as a moisturizer. It comes in a rigid plastic bottle with a disc-top cap (you press on one end of the cap and the product comes out of a small rectangular hole on the other end). The cleanser itself is a gel that's watery enough to drip out of the hole, which is good because the bottle is hard to squeeze. It's too watery to just unscrew the cap and pour, though.

I use a nickel-sized amount on my face and neck using just my hands in the morning. In the evening, I use a quarter-sized amount on my face and neck with the Shiseido Cleansing Massage Brush after removing my makeup with Albolene and a tissue. I haven't tried using it to remove makeup alone, but it does a good job of removing the Albolene/makeup residue left behind after I wipe most of it off with the tissue.

No miracles for the first few days, but it seemed to be helping, so I added the toner from the same line. It's been a week now, and my face is a lot better. It's not completely clear, but it's healing nicely from the havoc wreaked upon it by the coconut oil. I still have teeny pimple bumps all over my face, but the giant, red, flaky itchy patches and larger pimples are gone.

The combination of the cleanser and toner are a bit drying, so in the morning, I follow them with Muface Daily Moisturizing Complex and Nivea Cream (from the blue tub), and at night, with Burt's Bees Naturally Ageless Intensive Repairing Serum and Radiance Night Cream. Even though my skin is oily, it's sensitive and has a tendency towards getting flaky if irritated, but so far, this combination is working.