July 28, 2014 | 1787 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by barbaraahh

I have been using the Jane Iredale amazing base since the beginning of summer, and overall I am pretty pleased. I used bare minerals before this and I noticed that after a day of wearing and blotting the pigments would start to have an orangey tint to them and it would no longer match my skin.

Jane Iredale seems to have better pigments that not only match better but stay true to their appearance. The only problem that I have with this product versus Bare Minerals is that it seems to have more of a shimmer in it, which isn't the best for my oily skin. It is not too bad though, and after I used my toner and primer (Thayer's witch hazel and milk of magnesia, respectively), it stays on well and looks good.

I will probably test out a few more mineral powders after this one to see which I like best, but overall I do like this brand so far :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Latour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I just bought this today and so far so good. I've tried four other loose mineral foundation brands in the past, liked them, but they caused itiching for me. After some research, I found out that Bismuth is an ingredient that causes itching for many - especially me. Only a few brands do not contain this ingredient. That was one reason that brought me to Jane Iredale (the loose foundation does not contain Bismuth) and I love the look loose mineral foundation gives, which is slightly matte, with a soft glow. Coverage is medium and natural looking, even for me with slightly dry skin. I also bought the Balance hydating mist, but haven't tried that yet. I'm hoping that after a few days, I can write back with even more results. Today is just the start of something good for my face!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by DoxieLove25

I've been wearing this foundation for a couple years now and I am in love!! It's my first venture into the world of mineral makeup and I'm very happy with my choice. I'm fair and redheaded and I can wear this powder foundation like normal when I'm out in the sun and never get burnt. The spf is fantastic. I've learned that it only goes on beautifully if you have the right brushes to apply it. Different brushes apply it different ways. It gives just a touch of that "dewey" look which I think is very natural. I have repurchased and will continue to wear this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by foe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the mineral foundation I've been with for a couple of years now, more or less faithfully. I was briefly lured away by Helena Rubinstein's loose powder and tempted by Laura Mercier's mineral powder but I keep coming back to dear old Jane.

For oily-skinned girls like me, I have come to believe that mineral powder is a must and this one never, ever breaks me out unlike some of the liquid and pressed powder foundations I've used. It blends extraordinarily well with my "difficult" complexion (I'm pretty brown but surprisingly use Radiant) and it goes on light as a feather. I have one wrinkle on my forehead (and I'm trying to keep it that way!) and Amazing Base never settles into the crease the way that other powders do -- ahem, ahem Bare Escentuals, I am looking at you.

Yeah, when you pay full retail price, it's not the cheapest mineral foundation on the planet but I do think it's the best...at least for me. If you already have your HG foundation and it's cheaper than Amazing Base, obviously stick with that. But if you're on the prowl for a mineral foundation, I'd give this one a try.
EDIT 05/03/2011: I've since realized that the shade I was using, Radiant, is too orange-y for me. It was actually quite a shock, like I'd been living a lie all these years. I'm still having a hard time getting over it. :) But I continue to stand by this formula and the quality of the product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2010 8:42:00 AM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Another mineral makeup. There is a wide color selection, I can say that. But I've never looked at a woman wearing this and thought, "Wow, she looks great!" And to get sunscreen coverage, you'll really have to lay it on. Which looks even worse. Just because it is sold in spas and doctor's offices doesn't make it a good product. (I'm saying this to myself as well as you, dear reader!)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by weefi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I first tried Jane Iredale about two years ago, my beauty salon stocks this and they had recommend it to me as I was having laser treatment. I went for the pure pressed in warm sienna. I hated it, too matte and slightly too pale (NC25-30 for ref). I really wanted to love but couldn't. However after reading articles online about just what goes in to liquid foundations I decided to give Jane Iredale another go. This time i went for the amazing base loose and i love it. It definitely takes some getting used to as it is a completely different look to liquid foundations. At first I felt bare and unfinished but this foundation does take perseverance and you will get used to to the look. My skin looks fresh and breathable and the colours don't look orange. I then bought golden glow for when i wear fake tan and it is lovely as well. At first when you put it on it looks a little matte but after tens mins or so when it settles down it becomes sheers and luminous, almost creamy looking. I think the brushes are key as well. Initially i used the Jane Iredale handi brush but i then changed to the chisel brush and what a difference that made. My skin is quite clear so i wouldn't be sure how this would work with breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 3:43:00 AM More reviews by Harrie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great loose mineral foundation. I find it very easy to build up to a good coverage where necessary while still having natural looking skin. Good colour range and the shades are very forgiving. Thank goodness they've removed the Bismuth stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2010 3:55:00 PM More reviews by anormansyah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this powder so much, I started to collect her other products, from eyeliner, magic mitt, highlighter pencil...etc

I have a very acne prone skin, suffer since I was a teenager and still suffer from now, even after Roaccutane my acne back with a vengeance.

Now after reducing deep fried and greasy food, my skin calmed down, and then I bought this product after reading reviews. It dries up my spots and I can build up how thick I want my powder on. I also just bought Disappear so I was thinking of applying my powder lightly.
Overall is a brilliant powder, second thing helped my confidence after Roaccutane.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by juinfille

This is the BEST mineral make-up I've ever seen. It's the the best foundation I've ever used! Goes on flawlessly and stays on (using Balance Hydrating Spray or D20 to set it). The Natural shade is a perfect match. LOVE JI. !!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by MaggieN

I am using the amazing loose mineral foundation in Warm Silk. For ref, I'm asian with fair-medium skintone, I've used nc27 in Mac, Christian Dior Nude liquid makeup in Linen, Laura Mercier mineral foundation in Real Sand. The coverage is sheer to medium, I need to use concealor if I have some discoloration/marks on my face before using the mineral, it doesn't cover everything. The finish is natural looking, not -cake-on powdery like, a little bit of a sheen but not too much. It makes my complexion looks more radiant and eventone even though it doesn't cover every spot/marks on your face. I also use the purepressed base, and the purepressed base is a bit more matt finish than this one. This mineral foundation does not really matify your face if this is what your looking for, I need to apply a loose powder after this to make it more matt or use oil blotting sheet every once in a while to get rid of oil, but it seem I have to do the same with every kind of makeup.

Update: I'm reducing this foundation to 4 stars (more accurately 3.5). This foundation doesn't really give me the coverage that I need, it's really sheer, and it doesn't last on me much at all, after wearing this for a couple of hours and if I don't blot my face and it gets oil, the foundation would clump together into spots on my forehead, I think that this is due to the very finely mill consistentcy of this foundation. I still think this foundation would be great for other skin-type but just not that great for me at the moment. It's probably better for someone wanting natural sheer coverage, non-irritating ingredient for sensitive skin, someone with combo/dry skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No