April 18, 2014 | 873 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by foe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the mineral foundation I've been with for a couple of years now, more or less faithfully. I was briefly lured away by Helena Rubinstein's loose powder and tempted by Laura Mercier's mineral powder but I keep coming back to dear old Jane.

For oily-skinned girls like me, I have come to believe that mineral powder is a must and this one never, ever breaks me out unlike some of the liquid and pressed powder foundations I've used. It blends extraordinarily well with my "difficult" complexion (I'm pretty brown but surprisingly use Radiant) and it goes on light as a feather. I have one wrinkle on my forehead (and I'm trying to keep it that way!) and Amazing Base never settles into the crease the way that other powders do -- ahem, ahem Bare Escentuals, I am looking at you.

Yeah, when you pay full retail price, it's not the cheapest mineral foundation on the planet but I do think it's the best...at least for me. If you already have your HG foundation and it's cheaper than Amazing Base, obviously stick with that. But if you're on the prowl for a mineral foundation, I'd give this one a try.
EDIT 05/03/2011: I've since realized that the shade I was using, Radiant, is too orange-y for me. It was actually quite a shock, like I'd been living a lie all these years. I'm still having a hard time getting over it. :) But I continue to stand by this formula and the quality of the product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2010 8:42:00 AM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Another mineral makeup. There is a wide color selection, I can say that. But I've never looked at a woman wearing this and thought, "Wow, she looks great!" And to get sunscreen coverage, you'll really have to lay it on. Which looks even worse. Just because it is sold in spas and doctor's offices doesn't make it a good product. (I'm saying this to myself as well as you, dear reader!)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by weefi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I first tried Jane Iredale about two years ago, my beauty salon stocks this and they had recommend it to me as I was having laser treatment. I went for the pure pressed in warm sienna. I hated it, too matte and slightly too pale (NC25-30 for ref). I really wanted to love but couldn't. However after reading articles online about just what goes in to liquid foundations I decided to give Jane Iredale another go. This time i went for the amazing base loose and i love it. It definitely takes some getting used to as it is a completely different look to liquid foundations. At first I felt bare and unfinished but this foundation does take perseverance and you will get used to to the look. My skin looks fresh and breathable and the colours don't look orange. I then bought golden glow for when i wear fake tan and it is lovely as well. At first when you put it on it looks a little matte but after tens mins or so when it settles down it becomes sheers and luminous, almost creamy looking. I think the brushes are key as well. Initially i used the Jane Iredale handi brush but i then changed to the chisel brush and what a difference that made. My skin is quite clear so i wouldn't be sure how this would work with breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 3:43:00 AM More reviews by Harrie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great loose mineral foundation. I find it very easy to build up to a good coverage where necessary while still having natural looking skin. Good colour range and the shades are very forgiving. Thank goodness they've removed the Bismuth stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2010 3:55:00 PM More reviews by anormansyah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this powder so much, I started to collect her other products, from eyeliner, magic mitt, highlighter pencil...etc

I have a very acne prone skin, suffer since I was a teenager and still suffer from now, even after Roaccutane my acne back with a vengeance.

Now after reducing deep fried and greasy food, my skin calmed down, and then I bought this product after reading reviews. It dries up my spots and I can build up how thick I want my powder on. I also just bought Disappear so I was thinking of applying my powder lightly.
Overall is a brilliant powder, second thing helped my confidence after Roaccutane.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 9:34:00 PM More reviews by juinfille

This is the BEST mineral make-up I've ever seen. It's the the best foundation I've ever used! Goes on flawlessly and stays on (using Balance Hydrating Spray or D20 to set it). The Natural shade is a perfect match. LOVE JI. !!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by MaggieN

I am using the amazing loose mineral foundation in Warm Silk. For ref, I'm asian with fair-medium skintone, I've used nc27 in Mac, Christian Dior Nude liquid makeup in Linen, Laura Mercier mineral foundation in Real Sand. The coverage is sheer to medium, I need to use concealor if I have some discoloration/marks on my face before using the mineral, it doesn't cover everything. The finish is natural looking, not -cake-on powdery like, a little bit of a sheen but not too much. It makes my complexion looks more radiant and eventone even though it doesn't cover every spot/marks on your face. I also use the purepressed base, and the purepressed base is a bit more matt finish than this one. This mineral foundation does not really matify your face if this is what your looking for, I need to apply a loose powder after this to make it more matt or use oil blotting sheet every once in a while to get rid of oil, but it seem I have to do the same with every kind of makeup.

Update: I'm reducing this foundation to 4 stars (more accurately 3.5). This foundation doesn't really give me the coverage that I need, it's really sheer, and it doesn't last on me much at all, after wearing this for a couple of hours and if I don't blot my face and it gets oil, the foundation would clump together into spots on my forehead, I think that this is due to the very finely mill consistentcy of this foundation. I still think this foundation would be great for other skin-type but just not that great for me at the moment. It's probably better for someone wanting natural sheer coverage, non-irritating ingredient for sensitive skin, someone with combo/dry skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2010 5:43:00 PM More reviews by highcee24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I only use a small amount each time, but it's enough to give me flawless, illuminating and most importantly natural looking skin. No one ever thinks I'm wearing foundation, they just think I have great skin. I set this foundation with the Jane Iredale Balance mist, and use it once or twice more throughout the day to keep my face looking fresh and dewy. Of all the loose powders out there, this is a really good product. I would recommend this to those with normal/combo skin rather than oily though. Or at least avoid it on your oily spots -- I use pressed powder on my t-zone and this loose powder everywhere else.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2010 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Eva5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I havent tried a lot of mineral makeup. After doing some research I thought I would 'put my toe in the water' with this line. A salon I use nearby sells this stuff but I don't like the pressure of having someone stand over me telling me the colours they think are 'just me' only to get home and find that they really aren't right for me at all. I prefer to trust my own judgement now. I checked out the colours from the really well thought out and helpful site and then ordered some little pots through the mail. Warm silk over fake tan made my skin look golden and lit from within. I was in awe of this affect but thought it a little pale on its own. I settled on Warm Sienna which is quite yellowy and yet it seems to work. I also like Radiance and think I will try it next ( I am fair with golden undertones). Maybe mix the two even. My skin is in better condition and not 'bunged up' so much since stopping using the other foundations I used to use. I noticed this when I tried a liquid one after using the mineral powder. I didn't like the look of this under spotlights when shopping so don't wear it all the time now. However, it photographs beautifully. Its meant to be water resistant so I wear it swimming, though it doesnt really endure underwater swimming! This really came into its own on holiday in very hot weather. A quick brush over with a foundation brush, touch of concealer and blusher, lipgloss, mascara= done. It stayed on all day, looked great, felt light and I didnt feel ridiculous with a full face of makeup in 90 degrees, or return home to a full face of zits. Its also easier to clean off than liquid makeup. Its not foolproof but certainly has its uses. It lasts a long time too but, as with all these powders, its messy ( I always have a square of kitchen roll under the pot). I plan to maybe try a few other lines in future but really like the coverage of this and skin looks even toned. It is matt initially but as your oils come through I think it wears better and better and looks so natural, not deadpan as with a heavy liquid. It doesn't break me out. Now and again, if I have been exercising eg. with it on I felt it sting a little. I have some visible pores on the top of my cheeks and it glows off them and I don't like that. maybe a primer will help. It doesn't cover spots well so you still need to use a concealer and brightener around eyes.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2009 1:36:00 AM More reviews by lexley0602

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

They should rename this CRAP BASE because that is the only word that comes to mind. After purchasing Warm Silk and trying this on at home, I had to reapply this several times to build up the coverage. And my skin tone is even and smooth. I exfoliate on a regular basis and tone/moisurise religiously, but after one hour I had small dry flaky patches on my face. I was so disappointed, I returned to the store where I purchased this and asked them if I was preparing my skin correctly and if there was another product I should use prior to the mineral powder. They suggested the pure matte powder which I had read you should apply under the mineral powder, not on top, which I did. Still,the powder after 2 hours just disolved into my pores and the product started separating. This is supposed to be 'highly pigmented' - I know this is not true. Over priced and over rated...very disappointed!! DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I have tried every mineral powder on the market and the only one that is good is Nude by Nature. But you have to use a lot of this product to get sufficient coverage as the pigments in this product are very light. Back to liquid foundation for me!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No