October 21, 2014 | 1988 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Lasting Silk UV Foundation SPF20

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by JennifeRx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amazing HG foundation for me! I've been using Armani Lasting Silk in shade #2 for about 2 years or so now and I don't know what I would ever do if it were discontinued. First of all, the shade matches my skin perfectly and does a great job giving that "porcelain doll" effect by helping to tone down redness and give the skin a soft glow. The foundation stays on all day until I remove it at night and feels very comfortable on my skin. I rarely ever need any touch ups with powder when I wear this foundation and I have combination (sometimes oily) skin. This product hasn't caused me any breakouts and it contains SPF 20. It is on the pricey side, at about $59 per bottle. I usually buy about 2 bottles per year when Armani has their Friends and Family discount when you can get 20% off. It does last a long time as you really don't need a lot of product to achieve adequate coverage because it spreads and blends very easily. The glass pump bottle is nice and sanitary, which is a plus. I will continue to repurchase this product as long as it's still available.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation!! I have been using full coverage, long lasting foundations for years - Revlon Colorstay. The problem - it was too hard to remove it and wash my brushes. Sometimes it felt like I had a mask on. So I switched to Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation that was similar as Revlon but lighter wear.. and broke out my skin.
Then I got a sample of GA Lasting Silk UV Foundation (No. 5.5 in winter and in summer. No.5 is actually darker than No.5.5). First of all, its really pricy, USD 62.00.
As its water based, its really strange to apply it - it feels like foundation that is mixed with water. But after all, I love the finish! Its really smooth (not shiny or greesy and not too matte - very natural, can barely see it) and my skin feels "make-up free", it does perfect!
UPDATE: Have been using this for about 2 years now and I love it! Have tried Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Ultra-light skin perfecting foundation and they are THE SAME (I mean - feels the same for me). Only Chanel is cheaper $42. So I would suggest trying Chanel, if you think Armani is too expensive. For me they work the same (I tried Chanel No. Beige 30 and Armani 5.5 each on one side of face for few days and noone could tell a difference). They both feel amazing, but I feel that I am felling in love with Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua. Feels lighter and does not break out my skin. Lasting Silk did couple of times.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 7:15:00 AM More reviews by AngelicaFabFad

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I accidentally purchased this one when I actually wanted to purchase Luminous Silk after my friend strongly recommended me to use that one. However, thank goodness I got Lasting Silk! I feel like Luminous Silk makes me super shiny (even though I have dry skin) but Lasting Silk gives me this gorgeous finish and it lasts all day, like literally ALL DAY. I put on my makeup at about 7:15am, and then I go to school at 7:30am and it stays all the way through until I take it off at about 9pm. I use cotton pads soaked with makeup remover and my goodness...when you take it off the color is STILL THERE! I was amazed.

Another plus is because I wanted something that was SHEER, but not as sheer as a tinted moisturizer, BUIDABLE, so I don't have to purchase another heavy coverage foundation, and GOOD FOR DRY SKIN. It didn't dry out my skin at all! YAY!

I can't say this is one of my HGs, but I would say that it's definitely working its way up. I would definitely recommend it, however, the price is SUPER DUPER up there. So if you don't trust yourself in emptying your pockets for a not-so-sure-if-it's-good foundation, then take your time and consider a little more. At least stop by and grab a sample! :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2012 6:17:00 AM More reviews by yyip

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent foundation. I've used many over the years (mostly high and mid end) and so far, this is the best (for me) in terms of colour, texture, effect and wear.
It's a satin/matt finish that gives my skin an airbrushed luminous quality whilst still looking natural - providing the right application method is used. Small buffing motions with a flat top brush (I'm using the Elf flat top powder brush - love it) will give that kind of finish. I have used a Beauty Blender for a more sheer natural finish but it doesn't give you as much of a luminous effect.
Lasting power is pretty good. I have a combination skin and this will last me the length of a working day. I don't tend to powder because it mutes the luminous quality a bit. I don't find that I get too oily during the day - but that's probably just me.
Now girls (and guys), about wear time: for those who have this product sliding off very quickly, check to see what products you are wearing underneath. This is a water based makeup, so any products you wear underneath also need to be water based - including your moisturiser. Water based foundations will slide straight off an oil based moisturiser. So if you want it to last, wear water based or oil free products underneath to get the most out of this foundation.
I have a light asian skin tone so the colour I'm wearing during the winter months is 4.5; it works pretty well for me as this colour has a good clean/pure yellow undertone, which most foundations (high end or otherwise) on the market don't have. Many tend to have an orange or a yellow/red tint and unfortunately, anything with red makes me look like a beetroot face :o. In the summer, I am a little bit darker, though I do try to stay out of the sun and always wear a separate sun block underneath (and a hat) - NZ sun is strong regardless of the time of year. The down side of this colour range for me is that as you go darker in the yellow base (colours ending in .5), the colours tend to have more red pigment in them. I mix 4.5 with 5.5 for the summer which is acceptable but not ideal.
I do also wish though, that they left out the SPF altogether because realistically, SPF 20 isn't enough on its own - particularly if you are wearing a sheer layer. You do need more protection than that, so using a separate sunscreen underneath during the day is advisable (btw see dermtv.com for some great skincare advice). Also, if you wanted to wear this out at night (and get photographed) you will likely get scary ghost face photos. It would be good at least to have the option of SPF or SPFless in the one bottle.
Bottom line: if you can find the right shade, go buy it. Make sure you prep your skin properly with moisture (of the right kind) to get a great airbrushed luminous (but natural) finish.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by stuffystephy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

Overall, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the product. It's not bad, but it's not "wow" either. Perhaps it's the wrong formulation for my skin type. I find the best way to apply it is to use a small amount (1-1.5 pumps) and use a blending brush to buff it in well. Any more and it feels like a mask. I also tend to mix it with Mac face and body, which kind of defeats the purpose, as the 2 have totally different finishes. I do like that it has spf, but it seems a bit pointless if i'm only using such a thin layer

Coverage: medium-full to full (estee lauder double wear has fuller coverage, but i find even with the small amount I use, my freckles are quite muted)..
Finish: Velvety matte
Staying power: lasts 6-8 hours on me with powdering my T-zone or wearing primer
Colour: I think it might oxidise a bit. I was in between colours so got the lighter one, as I can just apply bronzer. But it seems to suit me fine without bronzer, even though it goes on a tad pale. I'm a NC15-NC20 for reference, and got this in colour #4.
Adverse effects: none. I did break out initially, but I wasn't removing it properly. There is a light fragrance which may be irritating to some. I didn't find it particularly irritating, but neither was it particularly pleasant.
Packaging: looks sleek and chic. Has a pump. You can kind of control how much comes out by depressing it partially or all the way.
Other: it does pick up on flaky skin. For whatever reason, I found that applying it with a traditional foundation brush made it look "stripy"

The bottom line: It didn't quite suit me, so that's why I won't be repurchasing it. However, it does what it says it will do, so If this is what you're looking for, you'll probably be happy with it

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Tuts311

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in the colour #2 which was a good match for my Nc15 skin , I'm very oily and wanted a luminous foundation that lasted on my skin . Unfortunately there was nothing "Lasting" about this foundation. It was coming off my oily skin after an hour. No primer , fixing spray or powder helped. Very disappointed with this foundation

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by rigantona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

On the hunt for a new, higher end foundation after my previous HG (lancome Adaptive) was discontinued. I use Revlon Colorstay on a day to day basis and love it, but occasionally i get this idea in my head that i can find something better.

Let me start by saying that my skin is pretty good, aside from some dermatitis around my chin (which is a whole other issue). I want a versatile product that will go over sunscreen, or moisturiser, will give me a light, natural coverage for during the day, that i can build to a heavier night time look. I don't particularly like using foundation brushes, but i will if i have to - i much prefer using a damp sponge.

The consultant at David Jones decided i was a 5.5 - looked ok on the back of her hand, but when she applied it, it looked so terribly yellow. I decided to give it a couple of hours, continue with my window shopping and just see what happened. Lo and behold, in every light except for the ridiculously bright white GA counter light, it looked great - very natural and exactly the right tone. I returned, got a sample and have been using it daily since.

On conclusion, i will say that it works best when i use it over a sunscreen (neutrogena healthy defense) during the day, and over MD Formulations antioxident gel and Neutrogena Oil free moisturiser for combination skin - so i guess the moral of the story is SKIN PREP. I don't think this would work well on anyone who had dry skin, but i'm no expert, that's just my feeling.

The finish is lovely, not completely matte, but not shiny - i guess this is what dewy finish looks like. My boyfriend (who says he prefers me barefaced, WTF??) thinks it looks more natural than 'what you usually use' but i'm not advocating anyone rush out and buy it based on that endorsment.

It last well through the course of an 8 hour work day, i don't get any oxidisation and it feels quite comfortable on my skin. I don't think this quite matches up the results i got with Lancome, but it's an acceptable substitute.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 8:37:00 PM More reviews by cjm517

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of my three favorite foundation (also including By Terry Lumiere Veloutee and Giorgio Armani LSF). In this review I'm going to shorten Lasting Silk to LS.
I've had great experiences with GA foundations and concealers. Their formulas are fantastic and work really well with my skin. Unlike LSF (luminous silk), LS is not quite as slippy and siliconey. It sets faster and has a more matte finish while still looking very natural. It is medium coverage and relatively buildable (but you have to build it before it sets or it leads to streaks and a huge mess). It wears very well- lasts a full 8hrs on my dry-combo skin- and doesn't lead to patchiness or oxidation. I usually apply it with either a flat top brush (my favorite is the elf flat top) or a very soft, moist sponge. I love to set it with Becca's loose powder or MSFN. The foundation (along with all GA foundations I've tried) photographs extremely well. My skin looks very natural but sharp and clean and with some glow.
The foundation is not moisturizing nor does it dry me out. I wear oilatum cream underneath and no primer. My skin is combo dry and I usually powder my t-zone once a day. The foundation is SPF20 and although I don't think it is sufficient protection (if you're really into SS) I like to know there is a little bit there.
As far as shading goes, I manage to wear #2 in both LS and LSF. #2 in LS is a little lighter and much more yellow. I am pretty neutral toned so it's a bit yellow for me but still looks very natural. So take note, just because you know your match in other GA foundations, doesn't mean that you're going to necessarily be the same in LS.
This foundation does retail for a pretty $59 without tax but I don't mind the cost. I use mostly HE products and find that they are worth it. I have repurchased this foundation about 4 times and I don't regret it.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by yimz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was originally a bit jumpy with this product, when the sales assistant first applied it to my skin I was amazed at how it looked in the mirror, like I had been airbrushed! When I tried it at home I felt like I hated it, that it might dry me (I was ready to ditch it). But i'm glad I didn't because I realised I was wearing the wrong moisturiser underneath and wasn't getting used to the product (I think product's effectiveness often depend on the way you utilise it rather than just being lazy and hoping it will do wonders alone). I like to wear this is with an spf 50 sunscreen that's medium oily and then going over with a brush. Which creates a dewy/natural effect (I wouldn't recommend using a powder if your skin is normal/dry/very dry). I think this is one of the only foundations which can truly use 'silk' in it's title, the way it glides on and the after effect is delicate and great at balancing out your skin tone. I'm impressed with their light shades because whenever I've tried them from other brands (Chanel, Laura Mercier) they often make me look washed out, and a ghost in pictures. In winter I use a richer moisturiser, in summer it looks great over sunscreen. I use shade 4, and think it suits 'english rose' or fair milky asian (im chinese) complexions.

Pros: long lasting (i've used this constantly over 8 months, and still have over half the bottle left!), natural shades, sturdy and classic packaging, works nicely if you want to re-pat along the cheekbones/temples and highlight brows (wont be stodgy like a concealer!), long lasting I can wear from 8am-10pm and theres hardly a difference.

Cons: I guess price is one but considering it lasts long (I use two large pumps per application) it's levels out, the pump isn't great to control esp. if you want to do small squirts at a time.

This is my favourite foundation so far, but will be trying the Luminous Silk one in the future! (I've taken a lipstick off because it might not suit very dry/dry skin tones without the right primer/base)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2011 6:21:00 AM More reviews by MyMajesty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am very impressed with this designer foundation! I've never imagined that GA has such a wonderful m/u line.
I've bought like 2 weeks ago this magnificent foundation and I am very impressed. It goes on like silk (the name doesn't lie you) and it lasts almost all day long. I like it very-very much but even though, I can't decide if it's a HG or not. It competes with Estee Lauder Double Wear. The difference between it is that EL DW has a medium to full coverage and GA Lasting Silk is more on the natural side. I would wear GA LS in hot summer days or during day time , while EL DW would be very nice for nights out, in an artificial light.
Anyway, I'd buy this again; it's a good investment and even though it's expensive, I love it and I am truly convinced that it worth the money.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No