December 19, 2014 | 1470 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by LoveuMuch69

I bought this color in Peony and it looks like a bright pink. It lasts forever and I even fell asleep with it on and the following morning it looked the same as when I put it on!!! Around noon time it was you guessed it, still there!!! What people need to understand is that longwearing lipcolors will NOT moisturize your lips and feel creamy on your lips. It will just simply do what it's supposed to and last a really long time!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Albell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am a warm toned red head with hazel eyes. I bought this in Premier Plum and love it. It is a lip stain though, not a moisturizing lipstick. I apply it sparingly and wait a minute or two for it to dry before I close my lips. It then lasts a good 8 hrs. I didn't find it drying at all, unlike other brands.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2012 8:54:00 AM More reviews by NancyGooGoo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

What the hell happened with this?! When I put it on it was soft, a little bit glossy and I was fine. No sooner do I walk out the door, this suddenly made my lips practically glue shut when I pressed them together and this dried up on my lips and I felt like my lips were SHRINKING! I had to quickly put some Carmex over it just to get it to feel somewhat NORMAL again! I understand the "liquid lipstick" part of it but I didn't expect the super duper dryness! It literally shrivels my lips and the tightness is something I will not tolerate. So, needless to say, I will NOT be reaching for this anytime soon again - unless perhaps I try layering it over the "Violet Frenzy" lipstick that I bought it with. Maybe the moisture of that lipstick will protect my lips better with this on top than without - I'll give that a try, but this alone, is God-awful!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/27/2011 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Pinky137

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Revlon wins the battle of drugstore longwearing lipsticks with Maybelline at a close second. I have worn two-step longwearing lipsticks for years and liked them. Now every brand makes them and there are so many options! I recently had a horrid episode with the most awesome red (a discontinued Rimmel lippie) so I decided to take a bunch of reds and compare them to see what formula was the best.

My main reasons for wearing long-wearing lipsticks are:
- a defined lipline that doesnít smudge
- constant color is convenient
- no transfer to objects or to the rest of my face (I must be crazy; I roll my lips around and then find cream lipstick in little stripes all around my chin)

I get the negative effects, which are:
- pilling, peeling, cracking, and flaking
- touch-ups are impossible; you must remove lipstick and reapply

For coloring, I am probably NW-10, wear Chanel BR-10, am pale with very cool undertones, and have auburn hair and blue-green eyes. I chose the reds based on store availability and what I thought might look good on me. I wore them separately and then side-by-side on days I wasnít leaving the house to see how they compared. I tested the lippies for 10 hours because experience has taught me that if I need the lippie to go past 10 hours, Iím better taking it off and reapplying a new coat.

Application: I figured out I canít use a lipbrush on these or they freak out. I used a thin, tapered brush to line my lips only and then apply the color with the built-in applicator in one coat that is thick enough to cover opaquely, but no thicker. I never apply in thin layers, because the lipcolor flakes and cracks much more quickly.

Tested were:

- Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor in Forever Scarlet
o the hands-down winner
o easiest to apply: it is thinner, so easier to line and blend the lip in with the line.
o wore the best and the longest (10 hours)
o the best topcoat: this is the only one with a gloss. Balms made the lipcolor look more like cream lipstick, which I liked, but the gloss was far better at covering lines in the mouth and making worn lipstick look fresh
o the best packaging: both parts in one tube, not ugly, workable
o Color: Forever Scarlet pulled a reddish hot pink on me, and I liked it.
o WOULD BUY AGAIN IN THIS AND OTHER COLORS

- Maybelline 24 Hour Colorstay in Keep up the Flame
o close-second
o not as easy to apply as Revlon: thicker, hard to get an even coat, hard to blend lipline in with lip
o wore practically as well as Revlon for as long (10 hours)
o the topcoat isnít as great as Revlon: this is a balm which looks great when lipstick is new, but canít hide problems as the day goes on
o the packaging needs improvement: the balm and lipcolor are in one tube, but the balm falls out.
o Color: Keep up the Flame appeared to be a dark red with some blue and brown, but it was too dark and brown on me. My husband asked why I was wearing purple lipstick, so maybe it was purple, too. For a color that dark, my coloring needs a true plum.
o WOULD BUY AGAIN BUT ONLY IN DIFFERENT COLORS

- LíOreal Infallible Lipcolor in Beyonce Red
o third place
o easy to apply
o flakes immediately but can only wear for 3-4 hours without the flaking becoming a serious issue
o topcoat is okay: this is a balm and canít hide problems
o packaging is okay but ugly: the balm and the lipcolor are housed in this weird container.
o Color: Beyonce Red wore as a true red on me. I liked it, but it wasnít anything special.
o WOULD ONLY BUY AGAIN IF I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE COLOR AND WOULD WEAR IT FOR 3 HOURS MAX. IíLL PROBABLY NEVER BUY AGAIN.

- Cover Girl Outlast All Day Lipcolor in Ever Red-dy
o last place for sure
o difficult to apply
o doesnít flake right away, but flakes an outrageous amount at 3 hours
o topcoat okay, basic balm
o packaging annoying with two separate tubes
o Color: Ever Red-dy wore as a true red on me, maybe a bit less blue than LíOrealís Beyonce Red. I liked it a little better than Beyonce Red as it seemed richer. Itís a good color.
o WOULD NEVER BUY AGAIN.

Also tested was:

- Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Lipcolor in Tomato Red
o this is a one-step lipcolor, not a two step. I played with this for a while until I got it to work. I did figure it out.
o As a lipcolor: this is far too dry to use without a balm, too soft to use with a balm, and I had a hard time getting an even coat with this. I didnít realize how much I relied on the second step to fudge over my paint job until I tried this.
o As a lipstain: I lined my naked lips with this using a thin, tapered brush, then smeared the lipline into my lips. The result is the absolute sheerest, barest lipcolor. If I need lipbalm, I top it with a wax-based balm like Carmex. This made my lips look completely naked with natural color. It lasted forever. I wore it for 3 hours, went to sleep, and then wore it for 7 hours before I had to absolutely wash my face. I applied balm twice, and my lips rocked the entire time. You can use a balm first, but it doesnít last as long and looks more like a colored balm than natural lips.
o Color: Top Tomato was beautiful both as a lipcolor and as a stain. As a stain, it looked like I have rosey lips. My lips are naturally blue-mauve.
o I WOULD BUY THIS AGAIN IN THIS AND OTHER COLORS, BUT ONLY FOR USE AS A STAIN, NOT A LIPCOLOR. I WOULD ALSO USE AS A LIQUID BLUSH.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Amee88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

URGH, I wish I read reviews before purchasing this, it's super sticky, drying and sets in lines of my lips. Ugly Ugly Ugly is what I will say about this horrendous product, don't buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by LuxDeVille

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Although there seems to be a lot of negative reviews for this product, I love it. Some days I just don't feel like dealing with the possible smearing and transferring of my bright lipsticks so I reach for this. I have it in top tomato and the color is great. It is drying of course so you'd need to put a lip gloss over it after it's set and dry. But the lasting power is amazing. It will last me a whole day of eating and drinking usually with no touch ups. Sometimes at the end of the day it does start to peel off though but that's not the usual case. Oh but the packaging could definitely be better.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by sistersarah

Really like this. It's a stain and is not moisturizing at all, so once it's dried, make sure you keep a lip balm, or a clear lipgloss handy. I'm terrible at reapplying traditional lipstick, so this long-lasting product works great for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by MissNRI

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews on this. I absolutely love Colorstay Ultimate and Colorstay Overtime. I haven't been able to find another lip product with the same staying power of these two. I can't decide which I like more as the formulas are very very similar, but the wonderful thing about Colorstay Ultimate is the beautiful range of shades. While Overtime has matte cream shades (or gloss cream shades, if one uses the clear overlay with them,) Ultimate has mattes, shimmers, satin/cream finishes and just less basic and more exciting shades than Overtime. Of the Ultimates, I own Superb Sangria, Top Tier Truffle, Premier Plum, Maximum Mocha and Stellar Sunrise and they are all beautiful and stay on so long. Best of all they give me that "heavy" rich feel that I adore and would go as far as to say require in a lipstick. I would highly recommend these for the lovely shades and exceptional staying power.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Selune13

First off, I think Revlon calling this "Liquid Lipstick" is slightly misleading. Lipstick I expect to be creamy and need to reapply. This is really lip stain. The tube is transparent and the applicator more suited to lip gloss. It makes you feel like the color would be slightly less potent on your lips than what it looks like in the tube. Wrong. This goes on VERY dark! So, word to the wise, drop down a shade from what you think would work. Also, the applicator is dreadful for putting this stuff on. It's so liquid, that the applicator makes it go on uneven and puts on way too much. I find it works best to just pull the applicator out a bit, wipe some on my finger, then apply it to my lips using my finger. It just takes the tiniest amount to apply color. And boy does this stuff last. I keep finding myself checking to see if I need to reapply and nope, this lasts all day through talking, eating, even wiping my lips. Yes, it does feel dry next to your lips and tacky when your lips press together, but that doesn't bother me too much. If it does start to annoy me, I just put a little gloss on top or that top coat they sell with lip stains (Cover Girl has a really nice one - it's white looking but goes on as just a soft top coat with the perfect consistency and look over stain).

Bottom lines:
- great lip stain - color really lasts
- go a shade lighter than you'd think - this stuff is dark
- don't use the built-in applicator - you'll get a mess

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by turkishdelightxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Awful stuff. Color was NOTHING like what it looked like in the tube. I don't remember which color I purchased, as I threw it out, but it appeared to be a pinkish-nude, but turned out tan. Very ugly. It dried out my lips, AND I had an allergic reaction to it. Not worth the money at all.