August 23, 2014 | 1758 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2013 10:14:00 AM More reviews by misscherstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had to get use to the smell at first, and it felt kinda heavy and really creamy compared to Mary Kay what I was using, but after this sets the smell goes away and the cream feels light. I love this stuff for the time being!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 5:25:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

First let me state that this product was one of my first from Philosophy and I used it for quite some time. I was a total Philosophy girl for years and then quit seeing any results so I changed to Ole Henrickson for awhile and now use a vast combination of products (including both) rather than sticking solely to a single line.

I regress, the Hope in a Jar is a heavy emulsion for seriously dry skin and was my go-to in the fall and winter when my skin tended to dry out from cooler temperatures, wind and of course running the heater in my home. The jar product was always a little too heavy for my facial skin type so I used the lighter, oil-free product in the tube, never could use the type with SPF as my skin is seriously sensitive to sunscreen and reacts violently if in contact with certain ingredients.

I quit using when I just wasn't getting the same results that I used to and realized it wasn't the products that changed but rather my skin changed as I aged so my needs were different. I recommend this product to anyone that suffers from dry or combination skin with flakiness on their cheeks, this stuff really does soothe and calm patchy dryness and keeps the areas moistened for smooth foundation application. I can't honestly say that it will keep the areas moistened for all day smoothness but it does make a big difference. I still use the heavier product from the jar on my neck and décolleté as I think this moistens like no other and keeps the area youthful with no signs of aging.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by SassyCappy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Did Hope In A Jar make my skin look amazing? Yes. Did it give me an awful reaction? Yes! My face itched so badly that it felt like it was on fire. I started using HIAJ when my mother began using another Philosophy face product and gave me her jar to finish. I opened up the jar to be hit right in the nostrils with ammonia. It was awful! Because I'm not familiar with Philosophy products, I didn't think anything of it and neither did my mother. After using it for about two days, I immediately saw an improvement in my skin. I began a ritual of putting it on when I dried off after the shower at night, and right before putting my makeup on in the morning. However, by the fourth day, spots on my face began to itch very badly. Because it didn't itch all over my face, I thought maybe I had gotten bit...multiple times. I honestly didn't want to even think for one second that I was allergic to HIAJ because my skin had never looked or felt better - in just less than a week! But it was on that fifth day that I realized I may in fact have an allergy to something in this moisturizer. After work every night, I take a kickboxing class, where I sweat all over my body profusely, especially my face. Mid class, my face felt like I was being attacked by red ants. It itched, it burned, I thought I was going to pass out, that's how bad it was. I was so desperate to relieve the itchy, burning sensation that I took some of the cleaner used for the boxing bags and patted my face with it. I then did an experiment. I threw out that jar of HIAJ (the one that smelled of ammonia) stopped using it altogether for a couple of days, while the itchiness went away (it took about 2-3 days). Then I opened a brand new jar and used it. At first I was fine, and I thought that maybe it was in fact the old jar, that maybe it had expired or something. But then mid-day of having the moisturizer from the new jar on my face, the same thing happened, including lingering itching 2-3 days later. So now I'm convinced that there is some ingredient in HIAJ that I'm allergic to, and it breaks my heart! Overall, the product is great - a little on the expensive side - but great; I really liked the consistency, I loved the way it made my skin look and feel, and Philosophy really makes great products. I'm officially on the hunt for a moisturizer that will give my skin the results that Hope In A Jar gave to it.

Not a fan of the price, but it DOES last for a pretty long time, so glass half full.

*UPDATE (6 months later) - from 2 lippies to 4!*

Because of my itchy fiasco a few months back, I use HIAJ every now and then; I limit it to twice or three times a week, and a day or so in between uses. I can't seem to stay away from this stuff, and using it after my honey with lemon mask, my skin glows and has never looked better. I wish I could remember my makeup routine during the days of the itch because I'm convinced it was something else counteracting against HIAJ.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by dragongirl26

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this and the HIAJ Night Cream from Philosophy when I bought the Razor Sharp Shavng Gel (which is an awesome product that I absolutely love,btw!)
However, I had the opposite experience with this little sample packet.
It seems like so many people have this on their wish list, so I was happy to finally experience what all the fuss is about. I set my usual treatment aside and went to work slathering a generous amount on my poor unsuspecting skin. Right away, even though it was nowhere near my eyes, they started to burn like crazy. I don't know if there is some ingredient in the product that caused this or if it was just the god awful smell. I finally had to grab a towel to rub it off my skin after trying several minutes to get it to absorb. I couldn't stand my eyes burning anymore, and I'm half tempted to just wash my face completely and start over. I'm glad this was just a sample size as it was completely not what I was expecting. I definitely won't be purchasing this.

*update* My skin started to itch, so I went ahead and washed this stuff off completely. This is what I get for cheating on my MyChelle Pumpkin Renewal Cream....never again!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 3:48:00 AM More reviews by Calliopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the product but wish it came packaged in a tube or pump bottle. This fluffy textured cream smells like lavender which I don't love but I can get past that. The product itself is lovely, does not clog my pores and seems to make my skin glow from within. I really did enjoy this product but the unsanitary packaging prevents me from repurchasing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

this cream has a weird texture, it almost seems to blend in with a "watery" finish.. kindof hard to explain but yea, was extremely blah for how expensive it was. Didn't moisturize enough for me, smells like wet dog, packaging sucks--- dropped it and the lid shattered off

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2013 5:16:00 PM More reviews by catbaguette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Philosophy came to the UK maybe 3 years ago, and in the past I've tried their Purity Cleanser which is lovely - but I haven't used it enough (I had a small sample) to make an informed decision about it overall. I'm always drawn towards clever marketing and nice packaging so Philosophy pulled me in with their refreshingly minimalistic packaging and carefully crafted words.

I went to Boots today, looking for a micropeel for my flaky yet oily skin. My skin just needed some oomph and needed something to help out with texture. The sales assistant was lovely and helpful and helped me pick the best peel for me. I was very excited and picked the Microdelivery Vitamin C peel which was amazing for my skin. But that's another review. The sales assistant reminded me that if I bought two Philosophy products then I'd get a £5 off voucher, 500 advantage points and £10 off both products. I thought I may as well, so I also purchased Hope in a Jar because I thought, "you can never have too much moisturiser" and I jokingly said this to the sales assistant. I'm having a relaxing day off, so I decided to dedicate today towards my skincare and do some pampering. After having an amazing home made peel from the Microdelivery stuff I decided to slather on some nice trusted products to help my skin feel nourished after treating it. I used a repair serum (Estee Lauder ANR), some Clarins Lotus Oil - I usually reserve these for my night time skincare but I was going to have a nap - and instead of using my trusty Lush Vanishing Cream I decided to use the Hope in a Jar because it was new and I wanted to feel like I was treating myself. Lovely triple nourishment for my skin as well.

I had my late afternoon nap and my skin felt wonderful when I woke up. Like, the texture of my skin has never felt better, I really wanted to moisturise it again because I remembered what I said in Boots, "you can never use too much moisturiser!" Gleefully, after watching Mad Men, eating my dinner and doing some work I decided to add HIAJ to my skin again - I used a really minimal amount. I decided to watch Mad Men again, after half an hour I felt a weird burning/itching sensation on my skin. I thought that perhaps the peel made my skin slightly sensitive so I shrugged it off as a peel side effect. Then I looked in the mirror and my skin looked more red than usual, most of the time I'm used to redness as I have acne scars that I'm currently treating. But this redness was blotchy and had no acne scars in those areas, I decided to wash my face with a nice creamy cleanser (Cleanse and Polish - Liz Earle) and the pepperminty goodness seemed to calm my blotchy itchy mess down. I've waited for 2 hours and put some serum on now and my trusty Clarins oil and I've gone back to my Lush moisturiser and these favourites of mine really calmed my skin down.

I know a lot of you complain about the smell, and I can see why, I kept getting wafts of it as I was watching Mad Men and it annoyed me. But I can deal with smell if the performance of a product is good for me, but HIAJ made my face irritated so now I'm very reluctant to put it on again. Overall I've given this product two lippies because upon first application my skin felt so smooth and lovely. If it wasn't for the bloody Boots advantage points and vouchers and money off I wouldn't have bought this facial burner in the first place. Why you so good to customers Boots? Why?

Now I'm not sure about this, but I have a theory and I'm going to test it out. Perhaps the strange blotchiness happened because I didn't apply HIAJ the second time round with a serum and oil - this shouldn't have to be required every time I use it though, as I tend to apply moisturiser throughout the day to top up, but maybe it should only be reserved for night time use. Perhaps the serums and oils calm down the moisturiser and it shouldn't really be used alone. It may very well have been the micropeel I did earlier on in the day but I've never had a reaction like this to a moisturiser before and my Lush Vanishing Cream didn't irritate my skin. I will test out the serum/oil theory again one day after seeing if I get a successful patch test on my wrist (and hold my nose begrudgingly due to the smell) this will give my skin and myself a chance to calm down. I will update you soon when I pluck up some courage. I doubt it works, but it's worth a go for the money I spent and the 500 Boots Advantage Points I received, I wouldn't like to lose them because I'll be able to use them on something better. If it turns out to be horrific once again, I'll give it to someone I don't like. Ciao.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Ad0rableTam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ugggghhhhh=\ I love this, and even grew accustomed to the smell & currently love it. It's sooooo whipped and creamy, a little goes a long way... And within minutes your face feels refreshed, and still clean..... I want to love it more & more, but the price is a little too much for me to be splurging on it. So I purchase the smaller tubs..... If it was a little easier on my pocket, I would make this my every day and night staple in my regime. However, I've been using clean & clears moisture gel and just using hope when I need a little boost. Four lippies just for the price! I understand that the product is great, but it's not $60 a pop type of amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

Just like the previous reviewer, I got this at the base exchange (only I got mine at the Air Force Exchange) and it is a dream to own! I was so glad to see they started carrying it because we can get it at a pretty great price. I love what this has done for my skin! It feels so smooth and does not break me out. It truly is hope in a jar!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by aprilgirl427

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finally gave in to my curiosity and bought Hope in a Jar moisturizer. I got a good deal on it at the Army Exchange since the price is lower and you pay no sales tax. I began using it almost 2 weeks ago and it has made my skin feel like a baby's bottom. I have very few wrinkles, even though I am a 60 year old African American grandmother. My skin is slightly oily on my forehead and T-zone. However, my skin tends to be drier in the fall and winter months. So, I wanted a lightweight moisturizer that I could wear day and night. I use it over my nightly serum and I have been getting compliments regarding my skin having a glow. I mix the Hope in a Jar with my liquid foundation during the day and it gives me a dewy, glowing complexion. I wished I had tried this years ago. It will be a permanent part of my skin treatment regimen.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No